PDA

View Full Version : The Originals - Suspicion [[1965)

test

midnightman
11-01-2010, 08:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdBmfPg90ic&feature=related

robb_k
11-01-2010, 10:47 PM
1746They released the WRONG version!!! The version we screened for "From The Vaults [[which eventually got booted in UK in 1980) was a much better vocal, and a tighter instrumental mix. It's a shame.

This is the only version I've heard on The Internet.

MotownLover
11-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Yes...I never noticed this song during the Originals early years. It wasn't until the release of the Motown Northern Soul CD that I heard the BETTER version that could NOT be ignored. To me, this is the BEST song by the group; and quite danceable too.

bradburger
12-10-2011, 07:25 PM
They released the WRONG version!!! The version we screened for "From The Vaults [[which eventually got booted in UK in 1980) was a much better vocal, and a tighter instrumental mix. It's a shame.

This is the only version I've heard on The Internet.

It wasn't until the release of the Motown Northern Soul CD that I heard the BETTER version that could NOT be ignored. To me, this is the BEST song by the group; and quite danceable too.

Interesting!

The version in the YouTube video was issued on both releases of "This Is Northern Soul" - the original Volume 2, and then the UMG 2 CD version that combined both the original Volumes 1 & 2. This version is far superior to the version that was issued on the "Very Best Of The Originals" CD, which has an alternate vocal and is not such a good mix.

For comparison, here it is: -

http://youtu.be/TQPAQCto7WY

I've always preferred the version on TINS.

So, is there another version/take/mix that's even better than the version from TINS?

Cheers

Paul

bradsupremes
12-10-2011, 11:34 PM
I'll never know why Motown never released this as a single back in 1966. It screams hit. Instead Motown released mediocre records on the group. It's a shame because this could have given the Originals a number one hit.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this but there is another version. There is the original version along with the alternate vocal from 1966 produced by Brian Holland and Lamont Dozier, but there is a re-recorded version from 1971 produced by the Originals' own C.P. Spencer. The group themselves must have believed in the song and its hit potential even five years after they first recorded it.

snakepit
12-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Paul
There you go.....

I prefer the second version here, released on the Originals CD....not TINS. I heard it first on a "dodgy" tape that did the rounds in the mid 80s......no artists given, and for years I assumed it was Eddie Holland!
The 1971 version...are you saying that it is in the Motown vault?, as they were still Motown artists then.

mowest
12-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Was this song intended for the Isley Brothers? It certainly sounds like it could have been a prequel/sequel to "This Old Heart Of Mine."

bradsupremes
12-11-2011, 03:52 PM
The 1971 version...are you saying that it is in the Motown vault?, as they were still Motown artists then.

According to Don't Forget The Motor City, there is another version in the vaults and yes, it does have vocals.

bradburger
12-11-2011, 05:18 PM
According to Don't Forget The Motor City, there is another version in the vaults and yes, it does have vocals.

I have the 1971 version somewhere. It's not bad, but I still prefer the original version.

What we really need is for Robb_K to confirm whether there is indeed a better version than the one in the first video - the version that was on TINS, as I always thought this was the definitive version. [[Sorry snakepit).

Cheers

Paul

tomato tom
12-11-2011, 05:26 PM
I seem to remember reading somewhere in an interview with the group, that the song wasnt finished and wasnt released because Motown wanted to spite Holland & Dozier who had just left the company and started the lawsuits and so on...Paulo xxx

soulwally
12-12-2011, 09:00 AM
First version I heard was on the TINS CD - and loved from the off, and also I've got to say I prefer this punchier [[to these ears) version.

My real reason for jumping in on this thread is to say that Suspicion remains one my top three favourite 'previously unreleased' Motown tracks. Tammi's All I Do.. is also in the top three, and I'll have to think about the third.

snakepit
12-12-2011, 12:25 PM
I seem to remember reading somewhere in an interview with the group, that the song wasnt finished and wasnt released because Motown wanted to spite Holland & Dozier who had just left the company and started the lawsuits and so on...Paulo xxx

That was "We've got a way out love" not Suspicion.

tomato tom
12-12-2011, 01:14 PM
snakepit..sorry, your right! I knew it was in that time frame. Sorry If Ive confused anyone. Been looking for that interview in my collection, but cant find it. Thanks for correcting me!..Paulo xxx

nosey
12-13-2011, 12:00 PM
One of my favorites and I too am baffled why it wasn't released as it would have been a hit especially since at that time the big dances in Philly was the Roadrunner and the Boston Monkey and that song had the perfect beat for it.

robb_k
12-13-2011, 09:47 PM
The version posted above by Bradburger [[Paul) is the version we chose for "From The Vaults" and the one I like best of the 3. It has the best vocal, and the background is more in time with the vocal.

bradburger
12-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks for confirming that Rob.

So it's +2 for someone else who prefers that version!

It would be interesting to find out when that version was mixed and when C.P Spencer's vocal was cut for this version.

It sounds [[and I might be wrong) if it was mixed later than the version on TINS. And it's interesting to note that the vibes are mixed out of this version. Maybe they were looking for a more contemporary sound, if indeed the vocal was cut later and it mixed too.

I still prefer the version on TINS [[the first video), both in terms of the mix, and C.P's vocal, and I'm sure if that mix was released at the time it would have been a hit.

Cheers

Paul

motony
12-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Nosey I bet you could really Boston Monkey...yea this has the beat for it but at the time Motown prob wanted to keep the group as background singers.

thomas96
04-19-2013, 11:45 PM
There is another version I just came across at the same time I came across this thread. Not sure if it is the 1971 version talked about, or a even a fourth version.

At about the 13:00 minute mark of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQm70Xkp6XI

bradsupremes
04-20-2013, 12:17 AM
There is another version I just came across at the same time I came across this thread. Not sure if it is the 1971 version talked about, or a even a fourth version.

At about the 13:00 minute mark of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQm70Xkp6XI

That's the unreleased 1971 version.

Motown Andy
04-20-2013, 12:58 AM
Yes, that is the 1971 version, but not mixed. I've actually heard the mono and stereo mixes of this version and it's one of my favorite vault gems. I've been wanting to put it out for at least 10 years! Hey Mr. Nixon... perhaps on the next Cellarful? :)