PDA

View Full Version : The Blackberries - Somebody Up There - MoWest 5020 [[Unissued) - TEST PRESSING found

test

stevep
03-21-2014, 03:38 PM
The Blackberries - Somebody Up There - MoWest 5020 [[Unissued) - TEST PRESSING found

I thought this might be of interest?

I was sorting through a handful of test pressings I had bought a few years ago and realised I had a TEST PRESSING of the above MoWest 45

It is a 'Columbia Record Productions - Santa Maria - TEST PRESSING' with the Artist, Title, Label No and Stereo/Mono written in biro'. There is also what looks like a date hand-written in red biro '7/25' therefore I guess the date it was pressed was 25th July 1972?

Even though it is listed as unissued, does anyone know if demo's were pressed?

I will attempt to post a scan of it later - It is a Stereo/Mono pressing of the top side, so the official B side [[But I Love Him) is not on the other side.

Cheers
Steve Plumb
www.soulmusic.co.uk

radionixon
03-26-2014, 09:54 AM
Would be very interested in seeing the scan of this, if you're still around!

stevep
03-27-2014, 03:50 AM
Here is the scan of both sides
Cheers
Steve

roger
03-27-2014, 06:39 AM
Steve ..

It was issued as the "bonus single" with TCMS 12A last year.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Complete-Motown-Singles-Vol/dp/B006XC9AUA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395916709&sr=8-1&keywords=complete+motown+singles+12a

The blurb in the collection, by Bill Dahl and Keith Hughes states ...

"A purchase order was given by the company for pressings of this single to be made at the Columbia and Eastern plants in July 1972, but the order was never completed. [[The 45 fronting this package marks its first appearance on actual vinyl.)"

Roger

keith_hughes
03-27-2014, 02:51 PM
So this is the record's second appearance [[since this copy's been hidden until now)!

My original idea - to flood the market with 2,500 copies of Frank Wilson's "Do I Love You" by pressing it up for the bonus 45 on TCMS 6 - got spiked as being a bit harsh on the two people who actually have real copies, and had kindly supplied us with audio transfers. So this was a kind of substitute notion, to make our very own TCMS Motown single, one that nobody had a copy of.

Probably a real one will turn up some day. If someone out there has one, please keep quiet about it and leave an old man's dream intact. This has certainly given it a bit of a knock!

Thanks for sharing the pic, Steve.

stevep
03-27-2014, 04:26 PM
Yes, I only enquired about it, as I thought that as someone had gone to the trouble of making the test pressing in 1972, then double sided white promos 'may' have been produced after it? Looks like they weren't?

Thanks for the info, much appreciated

Cheers
Steve