PDA

View Full Version : YET ANOTHER REASON FOR ME TO DESPISE kiss!

test

timmyfunk
03-20-2014, 03:12 PM
http://www.examiner.com/article/kiss-gene-simmons-says-hip-hop-has-no-place-rock-roll-hall-of-fame-1

Jerry Oz
03-20-2014, 07:44 PM
It's just his opinion. He actually has a point. What exactly is "rock and roll"? Why would Madonna or Grandmaster Flash be inducted in the hall of fame? Would anyone be pissed if Metallica was inducted into the R&B Hall of Fame? Probably. You can dislike KISS if you want but I don't really have a problem with what he said.

timmyfunk
03-21-2014, 10:58 AM
I definitely have a problem with it. Rap music, whether anyone cares to admit it or not, has been the new rock and roll ever since the late nineties. It has been the predominant musical force in American popular culture for at least three decades. For the RRHOF to overlook that fact would be at the very least egregious. It is every bit as rock and roll as Chuck Berry, Springsteen, or Tina Turner. Rock and roll ain't just a bass player, drummer and two guitar players anymore. Considering that kiss just got into the hall of fame, maybe Simmons should be a little more gracious, even though we know that this is a person who possesses not one ounce of grace.

soulster
03-21-2014, 12:09 PM
No big deal. A LOT of rockers think that way. At least he didn't bash rap music or get racial.

Gene Simmons is a small-minded idiot, but I still like Kiss.

jobeterob
03-21-2014, 12:38 PM
I read a couple days ago that Kiss and Def Leppard are going out on some big tour together.

Roberta75
03-21-2014, 02:52 PM
despise is a real strong reaction imo. Gene simmon was only voicing his opinion which is his right to do.

Roberta

soulster
03-21-2014, 03:14 PM
Yeah, even though he is a jackass.

timmyfunk
03-21-2014, 05:08 PM
No, when I speak about Gene Simmons, despise is the right word. A small talent hack that at this point should feel lucky that anyone still listens to that crap. They express resentment over being snubbed by the RRHOF for all these years. They're finally inducted and immediately they bash rappers being in the hall. I didn't need anymore reasons to despise this guy. But of course they keep feeding me more reasons. The beef about other kiss members not being inducted is a more legitimate gripe. But Simmons is still a waste in my opinion.

timmyfunk
03-21-2014, 05:25 PM
By the same token, the complaint made by Ace Frehley is far more valid. He should be admired for advocating for the lesser known members of the band.

marv2
03-21-2014, 05:49 PM
I definitely have a problem with it. Rap music, whether anyone cares to admit it or not, has been the new rock and roll ever since the late nineties. It has been the predominant musical force in American popular culture for at least three decades. For the RRHOF to overlook that fact would be at the very least egregious. It is every bit as rock and roll as Chuck Berry, Springsteen, or Tina Turner. Rock and roll ain't just a bass player, drummer and two guitar players anymore. Considering that kiss just got into the hall of fame, maybe Simmons should be a little more gracious, even though we know that this is a person who possesses not one ounce of grace.

Timmy I do not like Gene Simmons......period! The things he's said about Pres. Obama is just part of my reason for disliking him.

soulster
03-21-2014, 06:16 PM
Timmy I do not like Gene Simmons......period! The things he's said about Pres. Obama is just part of my reason for disliking him. Well, at least Simmons isn't a birther, but he is very misinformed about his own country's history. I'll bet he wishes he could take back his vote for Obama. :)

Timmy, Simmons is only one member of the band, although he appointed himself as judge, jury, and executioner of all of the band members. How the others let him get away with it is beyond me. he has an inflated ego and thinks he is better than everyone else. But, even after all that, I still like Kiss' music. I'm also feeling the need to insert the name of a certain "diva" right here because she had a relationship with him in the early 80s. :)

timmyfunk
03-21-2014, 06:44 PM
And she should hang her head in shame because of it. But it isn't too surprising.

skooldem1
03-21-2014, 06:46 PM
I'm also feeling the need to insert the name of a certain "diva" right here because she had a relationship with him in the early 80s. :)

Leave Cher out of this. lol.

soulster
03-21-2014, 09:11 PM
And she should hang her head in shame because of it. But it isn't too surprising. Hey! He's the one who got her to add hard rock to her sound. I like "Mirror, Mirror" and "Fool For Your Love".

timmyfunk
03-21-2014, 09:44 PM
Oh yeah. Those songs flew off the racks didn't they.

soulster
03-21-2014, 09:55 PM
Oh yeah. Those songs flew off the racks didn't they.

"Mirror, Mirror", and the album it came from did. Check your history.

daddyacey
03-22-2014, 01:15 AM
LOL.... That's MS. DIVA to yall..............

timmyfunk
03-22-2014, 06:36 AM
"Mirror, Mirror", and the album it came from did. Check your history.
I still had to go to YouTube to remind myself of how the song sounded. Highly forgettable track from a highly forgettable chapter of her career. That RCA period didn't produce anything as memorable as her Motown era. The Frankie Lymon remake was more memorable, and that was crap too. But I'm not going to indulge in Ross bashing. My overall opinion of her isn't too favorable either.

marv2
03-22-2014, 08:10 AM
Hey! He's the one who got her to add hard rock to her sound. I like "Mirror, Mirror" and "Fool For Your Love".

He is also the one who encourage her to do that Supremes reunion tour without Mary and Cindy. I really hesitated mention this given the current state of affairs regarding mentioning this woman all the time.

soulster
03-22-2014, 09:07 AM
That RCA period didn't produce anything as memorable as her Motown era.

Most people I talk to today today remember the song "Missing You" from 1984. It's was her biggest hit of the 80s, and a very big one, at that. Maybe you stopped listening to pop music by then?

The Frankie Lymon remake was more memorable, and that was crap too.

That's a matter of opinion. But, guys dug that album.

But I'm not going to indulge in Ross bashing. My overall opinion of her isn't too favorable either.

Same here. I don't care about the person. I just like the music.

soulster
03-22-2014, 09:10 AM
He is also the one who encourage her to do that Supremes reunion tour without Mary and Cindy. I really hesitated mention this given the current state of affairs regarding mentioning this woman all the time.

Somehow, she's in this thread too, but at least it's a legitimate reason for it. The two were a couple, and it's music-related.

splanky
03-22-2014, 09:21 AM
I couldn't open that examiner link so I had to read Gene's comments on another website.
Anyway, I'm mixed about this for a number of reasons, number one being I don't care much
about the RRHOF as an institution even when they've inducted favorites of mine like P-funk
and Sly. Still, playing along with idea for a minute, I understand where he's coming from. What he doesn't seem to understand is that the world has changed a lot since the initial
creation of the RRHOF and pecerptions have with it. Rock and Roll as a term originally
referred to what was largely black music. In it's next inversion, though not explicitly spoken,
it implied white usually electric guitar led male bands especially after the "British Invasion",
i.e. Beatles, Stones, etc. But black guys were still in the game, Hendrix was promoted to
godhood and darker than blue dudes were slinging guit-fiddles as hard as their opposite
hued peers. When a new term "Rock", shortened from Rock & Roll was introduced a whole
mess of folks took that to mean white guys almost exclusively and that's the school Gene
Simmons is from. I understand his thing about Donna Summer but even there her Bad Girls
is structurally similar to the Stones Beast Of Burden. Even the guitar lines. Another thing,
what about Elton John? He doesn't swing a strat, does he? Anyway, I don't put a lot of
weight on people's oppinions, they're like buttholes, everybody's got one, right?....

timmyfunk
03-22-2014, 09:52 AM
His is like the tumor on your private parts that just won't go away. Your observations on pretty much on point. It's even worse with the term heavy metal. Another good old boys club that black folks simply ain't welcome in.

splanky
03-22-2014, 10:10 AM
It's even worse with the term heavy metal. Another good old boys club that black folks simply ain't welcome in.

Heavy Metal for the most part has no aesthetic appeal whatsoever to me,never has. Still
I did listen to Booty Collins and Fishbone's flirtations with it. Throughout the evolving history of American music there have been several efforts to cut off the black roots of most
of this country's sonic output. Punk even tried for a minute. Ironically it wound up infatuated with Jamaican ska. So-called New Wave surrendered to early Rap. It's all quite
fascinating when you think about it...

soulster
03-22-2014, 10:55 AM
His is like the tumor on your private parts that just won't go away. Your observations on pretty much on point. It's even worse with the term heavy metal. Another good old boys club that black folks simply ain't welcome in. There were plenty of metal bands in the 70s and 80s, but the record labels just wouldn't give them the time of day. They kept steering them to R&B. Mother's Finest was a perfect example of this. MF started off as a metal band in the 70s and RCA Records gave them that opportunity. But, FM radio wouldn't play them because they were Black. I mentioned Larkin Arnold in an earlier post. Well, he also caused MF to go R&B in the late 70s. As soon as they could, they went back to making metal music oncwe they switched to Atlantic Records.

There were many Black metal bands in the 70s that couldn't make it. It wasn't until the 80s when Fishbone, and the 90s when Living Colour got noticed.

timmyfunk
03-22-2014, 11:21 AM
There were plenty of metal bands in the 70s and 80s, but the record labels just wouldn't give them the time of day. They kept steering them to R&B. Mother's Finest was a perfect example of this. MF started off as a metal band in the 70s and RCA Records gave them that opportunity. But, FM radio wouldn't play them because they were Black. I mentioned Larkin Arnold in an earlier post. Well, he also caused MF to go R&B in the late 70s. As soon as they could, they went back to making metal music oncwe they switched to Atlantic Records.

There were many Black metal bands in the 70s that couldn't make it. It wasn't until the 80s when Fishbone, and the 90s when Living Colour got noticed.

Totally aware of the reality you speak of. I don't think you would ever hear any Black inductee speak this way about any other inductee.