PDA

View Full Version : A Motown song with humming and no words?

test

xiaoshira
03-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Can anyone help me identify this song? It's a song everybody knows, with a really catchy tune - starts out with just humming on one note, then instruments come in and it breaks into harmonies, still humming - I heard it on my Motown Pandora station [[I'm not sure how purist Pandora is about this, so forgive me if it's not actually Motown).

If anyone has any guesses, I would be extremely grateful!! I love this song!

marybrewster
03-18-2014, 11:00 AM
Can anyone help me identify this song? It's a song everybody knows, with a really catchy tune - starts out with just humming on one note, then instruments come in and it breaks into harmonies, still humming - I heard it on my Motown Pandora station [[I'm not sure how purist Pandora is about this, so forgive me if it's not actually Motown).

If anyone has any guesses, I would be extremely grateful!! I love this song!

"Just My Imagination" by the Temptations?

marybrewster
03-18-2014, 11:01 AM
"Someday We'll Be Together" by DRATS?

marybrewster
03-18-2014, 11:02 AM
"These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" by Diana Ross?

xiaoshira
03-18-2014, 11:19 AM
None of those [[those are great songs though) - but thank you so much for responding. Let me see if I can describe it a bit more.

The part I'm thinking of is just instrumental and this little riff which is hummed [[I think by all male voices) and extremely catchy, repeated over and over again first with just melody then harmonies. The chord progression is extremely simple - I think just 1 5 1, in a major key.

The melody goes,

3 21, 1 1 23;
3 21, 1 1 32;
3 21, 1 1 23;
3 21 -6 1 2 1

The first part of the song is just someone singing that riff.

Thanks everyone so much for helping me solve this mystery so I can look up this song and never be separated from it again!

xiaoshira
03-18-2014, 11:35 AM
I FOUND IT!! I just turned on my Pandora motown station and they played it within a few songs!!! It's "little bitty pretty one". Do you think this is true motown or not really?

carole cucumber
03-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Jackson 5 [[1972) Motown 1199 Little Bitty Pretty One

http://www.ask.com/question/who-sang-little-bitty-pretty-one

xiaoshira
03-18-2014, 12:20 PM
Yes - THANK YOU!! so Jackson 5 covered it on Motown label - originally Thurston Harris 1957.

ritchie
03-20-2014, 06:15 AM
Yes - THANK YOU!! so Jackson 5 covered it on Motown label - originally Thurston Harris 1957.

I hate to nitpick, but Thurston Harris' version was itself a cover version of the original by Bobby Day. :D

Scooby
12-29-2017, 12:01 AM
will you know how to identify music by humming? I just got an app called midomi, we can find song by humming [[http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/identify-song.html), singing or just whistling. lol
1. Connect the Microphone to your computer and then visit midomi.com.
2. Click the "Click and sing or hum" button to start humming or whistling. You’d better sing at least 10 seconds for more accurate search results.
3. Click “Click to search” to start the search. That’s the whole steps to identify song by humming.