PDA

View Full Version : the third version of Supremes got no promo in Billboard!

test

Jimi LaLumia
03-17-2014, 09:56 AM
NAH!!!!!... that's a BIG lie!..thank you, Susaye...
https://www.facebook.com/susayegreene/posts/10152288108165619?comment_id=32716717&notif_t=like

jobeterob
03-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Despite what we read about Motown not promoting The Supremes in the final years - publicity materials in our collection state otherwise. x

That is Susaye's Facebook post.

You gotta love Susaye. A straight up honest lady.

bradsupremes
03-17-2014, 04:00 PM
Print ads are one thing. Labels pushing for singles to get airplay on radio stations is another.

There are several different sides to promotion.

milven
03-17-2014, 04:02 PM
Despite what we read about Motown not promoting The Supremes in the final years - publicity materials in our collection state otherwise. x

That is Susaye's Facebook post.

You gotta love Susaye. A straight up honest lady.

Some of the former Supremes are being given credit- or are taking credit - for keeping the Supremes Legacy alive, when in reality, it is the Supremes Legacy that is keeping them alive.

Susaye Greene is the exception. She has a career in concerts, recording and art that is not dependent on the Supremes legacy. And when she occasionally speaks of the Supremes, she tells it like it is, the good and the not so good. And she straightens out the fans when they continue to state fiction as if it is fact.

"a straight up, honest lady"

supremester
03-17-2014, 04:38 PM
Susaye has not made an industry out of Supreme misconceptions. I admire her for that.

A lot of promotion went behind High Energy and it resulted in a top 40 single, a successful album - their best selling single and album since Floy Joy - and a top dance hit. They quickly followed up with Mary Scherrie Susaye and it bombed. To suggest that Motown pushed High Energy, got results, and then ignore it's followup is absurd. Clearly the same public that purchased High Energy, if they enjoyed it, would have found MSS as well - at least enough for some sort of showing on the chart. There clearly was no public interest in the group and I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking was not a show of support to the act, but to the record. That happens a lot. Personally, I didn't care for the song and was surprised to hear it so much, but I did love the album art. I think the MSS cover, which was prominently displayed on an expensive, full color ad on the cover of Billboard, was nice looking but a marketing nightmare. All it did was reinforce that when you look at THe Supremes, you have no idea who they were.........that day.

It's funny how some blame every failure on promotion - if every record that got promoted was a hit, there'd be 300 records in the top 40. Give the public a bit of creedence in knowing what they like and want. Ggggggeeeeeeeesh.

jobeterob
03-17-2014, 05:15 PM
And some of the real crap songs that get NO promotion are huge hits ~ remember I've Never Been To Me? Started out of nothing and nowhere and became a hit. Remember What the World Needs Now & Tom Clay? Who would have thought that would be a hit?

And lots of good artists never make it.

Susaye is a lady to be admired. I still recall the day she told Marv on SD that "you weren't there" ~ LOL.

A straight up honest lady.

The very sad truth is that by 1976, the Supremes were done. And they had been since 1973. That huge gap between 73 and 76 with next to nothing released was very damaging too. They certainly still had the talent but their day was over and they were seen as old. MSS was a good album but it always seemed to me that it or the Supremes got stuck with a "disco" label by that time and that was the end.

marv2
03-17-2014, 05:21 PM
Look! Billboard is a trade magazine! 99% of the public does not read Billboard. To place ad that will generally be seen by others in the music industry means little. If you are going to mass market a product, you have to advertise and promote it to record buyers.

The Supremes were not done by 1976. They had a Top 40 Hit that year so people were still buying their records. I think "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking" even went Top 10 on charts that tracked disco/dance music in those days. They were still on television into 1977 before Mary's farewell on June 12, 1977. That's the date that they were "done". BUT! The legacy lives on..........

milven
03-17-2014, 05:48 PM
Look! Billboard is a trade magazine! 99% of the public does not read Billboard. ..........

But 99 % of the music industry DOES read Billboard. The ad was meant for the eyes of promoters, dee-jays, record store owners, buyers, program directors and others in the music industry who have the influence and ability to get the music to the ears of the buying public.

When Motown put the ads in Billboard it was to say to tell the music industry that this group is still relevant. Get behind them and support them

marv2
03-17-2014, 05:55 PM
But 99 % of the music industry DOES read Billboard. The ad was meant for the eyes of promoters, dee-jays, record store owners, buyers, program directors and others in the music industry who have the influence and ability to get the music to the ears of the buying public.

When Motown put the ads in Billboard it was to say to tell the music industry that this group is still relevant. Get behind them and support them

That's nice, but you have to go directly to the people that will be spending the cash once you have finished product! That is one marketing principle that has never changed up to this day in the age of the internet! Millions of people have to know about it in order to sell millions of records.......... Now radio helps ,but remember these songs were released prior to the music videos being used to promote and sell music to millions of people .So........ you needed to have visuals [[record sleeves, pictures of the group, pictures of record sleeves,etc, etc,) out there. I remember being sent a press kit for "Mary, Scherrie & Susaye" and it was great......BUT! I was one person and it would have been cost prohibitive to send such promotional items out to thousands in the public. Motown did try a little by placing ads in Ebony Magazine which was a mass market publication. I always felt that "Mary, Scherrie & Susaye" should have been held back for release in 1977, but I guess Motown wanted to take advantage of the Holiday shopping season and released it in late 1976 where it had to complete with scores of other great albums at the time.

Jimi LaLumia
03-17-2014, 06:05 PM
Motown never placed ads in regular magazines for Supremes records in the 1960's, it was always the trades..show me one regular non trade magazine with a Supremes ad in it, just one..it never happened, especially not for the pop audience, who read everything from 16 and Tiger Beat to Rolling Stone and Crawdadfdy..maybe Jet or Ebony, but I doubt it, most of the ads I've ever seen were for the trades, Billboard, Cashbox and Record World..

marv2
03-17-2014, 06:18 PM
Motown never placed ads in regular magazines for Supremes records in the 1960's, it was always the trades..show me one regular non trade magazine with a Supremes ad in it, just one..it never happened, especially not for the pop audience, who read everything from 16 and Tiger Beat to Rolling Stone and Crawdadfdy..maybe Jet or Ebony, but I doubt it, most of the ads I've ever seen were for the trades, Billboard, Cashbox and Record World..

Yeah but you neglect to mention one thing......one MAJOR thing that was different in the 60's! That being powerhouse Top 40 AM stations that played ALL of the music by a wide variety of artists! Just about every major market in those days had them [[we had WKNR and CKLW in Detroit/Windsor/Toledo, etc.). You should be more than familiar with WABC out of New York! If your record got on one of those playlists, hundreds of thousands to millions of people heard your music. They didn't need focus advertising yet because radio had not become the segmented mess it became in 70's when everything switched over to FM.

The second thing was the fact that we only had 3 television networks and if you appeared on any one of them, you stood the chance of being seen and heard by many millions of people at the same time!

marv2
03-17-2014, 06:20 PM
Oh and another thing. Remember the "Request line"? That's how we found out stations did not receive "Bad Weather".

Jimi LaLumia
03-17-2014, 06:29 PM
a station can receive a record, but if it's not placed into rotation by the program director, request lines mean nothing... no major station DJ in the 70's could just add a record when the phones rang... every family member of every recording artist in the world would be living on the phones 24/7... phone requests only ever REALLY mattered AFTER a record had made it past the hurdle of the program director/music director.. everyone in the industry knows that..

marv2
03-17-2014, 06:35 PM
a station can receive a record, but if it's not placed into rotation by the program director, request lines mean nothing... no major station DJ in the 70's could just add a record when the phones rang... every family member of every recording artist in the world would be living on the phones 24/7... phone requests only ever REALLY mattered AFTER a record had made it past the hurdle of the program director/music director.. everyone in the industry knows that..

I did not say that! I said by using the request lines in major cities back in those days is how we learned that "Bad Weather "was not serviced to them. It sort of like a test marketing campaign, just more grass roots oriented. Once multiple DJ's confirmed they never received the record period, it was clear that Motown was not doing much to promote it in the U.S. Pissed Stevie off! LOL! oh and the ladies too.......

Jimi LaLumia
03-17-2014, 06:40 PM
DJs wouldn't know anything about the record until the weekly music meeting when they were TOLD to play it.. that's how HIT radio has worked since The Beatles era..stations got a hundred new singles a week... a DJ certainly didn't get them all handed to him,DJs had nothing to say about what got played, maybe at free form, college underground radio [[who wouldn't be getting service anyway, because they don't really help move product), but not at Hit Radio, they were aware of what they were made aware of, and if they talked up a new release that wasn't on the playlist, they'd be out of a job real quick..

milven
03-17-2014, 06:49 PM
.....powerhouse Top 40 AM stations that played ALL of the music by a wide variety of artists! Just about every major market in those days had them ... You should be more than familiar with WABC out of New York! If your record got on one of those playlists, hundreds of thousands to millions of people heard your music. .... The second thing was the fact that we only had 3 television networks and if you appeared on any one of them, you stood the chance of being seen and heard by many millions of people at the same time!

I guess the powerhouse programmers at WABC and the bookers of Merv and Mike read those ads in Billboard.

captainjames
03-17-2014, 06:59 PM
Susaye was electric, Scherrie was fire.......they should not have went disco.

supremester
03-17-2014, 07:00 PM
How are we to feel sorry for V.M. if we find out that MSS were in fact promoted???? How are we to hate on Motown, Miss Ross and others if we find out they weren't conspiring to do them in??? Like Frank Morgan says in the last scene in Oz, "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..."
The High Energy album did pretty well - enough to encourage all concerned that MSS were on their way up. I remember seeing the expensive, full color ad for Mary Scherrie & Susaye on the cover of Bilboard and thinking it was a lovely cover, but awful LP title.

Roberta75
03-17-2014, 07:22 PM
I guess the powerhouse programmers at WABC and the bookers of Merv and Mike read those ads in Billboard.

Susayes moved on and Marys moved on and Sherries moved on and Stevie Wonder moved on but you know who is still carping on and on and on and on about big bad Motown not promoting them yet Motown spent money to send out press kits for MSS which he claim he got. Almost 40 years later and mrv2 is the bitter Supreme lol.

jobeterob
03-17-2014, 07:28 PM
And Bitter Miserable Marv will not even acknowledge or listen to she who was there ~ Miss Susaye Greene ~ who said on Facebook where many more people are reading it: "Despite what we read about Motown not promoting The Supremes in the final years - publicity materials in our collection state otherwise!"

What on earth are you thinking my dear girl, Marv?

kenneth
03-17-2014, 08:43 PM
I couldn't link to the Facebook post - says content unavailable. Or maybe I just don't have access as I'm not a Facebook user.

Jobeterob, I know you usually download the print...did you do so this time? If so, can you place it in here?

floyjoy678
03-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Not to nitpick here but shouldn't the title of this thread read "Seventh Version of Supremes"

1. Mary, Diana, Florence and Barbara
2. Mary, Diana and Florence
3. Mary, Diana and Cindy
4. Mary, Cindy and Jean
5. Mary, Jean and Lynda
6. Mary, Cindy and Scherrie
7. Mary, Scherrie and Susaye

milven
03-17-2014, 09:28 PM
Yes, there were seven line ups. But as long as we are nit picking, this is the way I've heard the various line ups referred to.

Diana, Flo, Mary and Barbara
Diana, Flo and Mary
Diana, Mary and Cindy
Jean, Mary and Cindy
Jean, Mary and Lynda
Mary, Cindy and Sherrie
Mary, Sherrie and Susaye

marv2
03-17-2014, 09:34 PM
DJs wouldn't know anything about the record until the weekly music meeting when they were TOLD to play it.. that's how HIT radio has worked since The Beatles era..stations got a hundred new singles a week... a DJ certainly didn't get them all handed to him,DJs had nothing to say about what got played, maybe at free form, college underground radio [[who wouldn't be getting service anyway, because they don't really help move product), but not at Hit Radio, they were aware of what they were made aware of, and if they talked up a new release that wasn't on the playlist, they'd be out of a job real quick..

They knew about it [["Bad Weather") when people called in to request it only to learn that they never received it! We are not talking about records from some new unheard of band. We're talking about the then latest release by the biggest female group , The Supremes, on Motown Records, Produced by Stevie Wonder who happened to be hot as you know what in 1973! They had performed it on the "hippest trip on television....." Soul Train early enough in year for them to know about it! If Don Corneilous and the Soul Train Gang knew about it, every "hip" DJ in the country knew about it. Don't kid yourself. They couldn't play it because they did not have it1 If Motown wanted that record to be a hit, it would have been at least a Top 40 hit in the States!

marv2
03-17-2014, 09:36 PM
Susaye was electric, Scherrie was fire.......they should not have went disco.

and if they didn't [[go Disco) in 1976, 77 they would have looked stale! Disco was what was popular among the masses during those years.

marv2
03-17-2014, 09:38 PM
Susayes moved on and Marys moved on and Sherries moved on and Stevie Wonder moved on but you know who is still carping on and on and on and on about big bad Motown not promoting them yet Motown spent money to send out press kits for MSS which he claim he got. Almost 40 years later and mrv2 is the bitter Supreme lol.

Oh I got the press kit somewhere still in my parents basement or attic LOL! Bitter?, not hardly. This has been a great day! hehehehehehehehe.........

marv2
03-17-2014, 09:42 PM
And Bitter Miserable Marv will not even acknowledge or listen to she who was there ~ Miss Susaye Greene ~ who said on Facebook where many more people are reading it: "Despite what we read about Motown not promoting The Supremes in the final years - publicity materials in our collection state otherwise!"

Today I heard from someone else that was also there ! Mary Wilson! We did not get into this subject, but things are great! Made my day! LOL! She's still in the middle of her month-long birthday celebrations, hehehehehehehe........!

Jimi LaLumia
03-17-2014, 09:43 PM
sadly, the studio version of "Bad Weather" was bad news..Stevie or not.. and by then, The Four Tops, Temptations, etc were having trouble getting Top 40 airplay as well.. and, as I've said, DJs were 'hired talent'..they had nothing to say about programming.. how did the request lines make out on "Touch"?

marv2
03-17-2014, 09:43 PM

Ask Susaye if she remembers Ira and how he is doing........?

supremester
03-17-2014, 09:45 PM
You are wrong about that. I've heard it a million times.
ME: "Would you play Remember Me by Diana Ross?"
DJ: "I don't have it."

So, I did a little research and scheduled an interview with the Program Director at KISN - one of the biggest pop stations in market share - EVER. I casually brought up the fact that KISN wasn't playing the follow up to the platinum selling single ANMHE and was told they didn't have it. WHY don't they have it?
His reply: "we have it, we're just not going to play it. The only songs in the booth are the ones I clear to be played. Everything else is in the library until we are sure we are done with it, then we get rid of them."
On page 76 of Supreme Faith, the blessed Mary calls a radio station, requests a ut from Jimmy Webb, is told they don't have it - and half hour later they play tossin n Turnin.

When, in May '73 Stevie Wonder crabbed to Motown about the ear splitting Bad Weather, Ewart Abner said he'd get on it, and, 2 months after it was released, it finally charted, albeit briefly. Jean's vocal was wretched on it, when I first heard it, I couldn't believe that screeeeeetchy mess was sent to radio - Cheryl, the record store clerk [[who never forgave Miss Ross for leaving the group until Lady) hated it so much, she made me turn it off half way through LOL. It had BOMB written all over it. Even in The UK, where JMC/JML had done well, it tanked. Years later, I would see clips of JML doing bad Weather on TV with a great vocal by Jean. I still don't think it would have hit, but at least it didn't hurt my ears. Mary sings it better today than Jean did then.

It was, literally, the worst record I ever heard. That summer, I bought a DJ copy at a used record store. It has a code on it and the station call letters KPAM. Every 5 years I'd take it out and see if I had changed my mind. I had not. Now, centuries later, the remastered digitized version is smoother. I suggest you pull out your 45, if you bought it, and give it a spin..........it stunk. Motown didn't have to kill this record, it was DOA. Stevie was huge in '73 and JML were not dead yet - just in decline. It had only been a year since Floy Joy, remember. Motown had every reason to be optimistic - as long as they didn't play it LOL. On paper, it had everything going for it.

Oh and another thing. Remember the "Request line"? That's how we found out stations did not receive "Bad Weather".

marv2
03-17-2014, 09:47 PM
sadly, the studio version of "Bad Weather" was bad news..Stevie or not.. and by then, The Four Tops, Temptations, etc were having trouble getting Top 40 airplay as well.. and, as I've said, DJs were 'hired talent'..they had nothing to say about programming.. how did the request lines make out on "Touch"?

Nah, that's not true! "Bad Weather" was released in 1973 the same year the Four Tops scored one of their biggest hits of their careers with "Ain't No Woman, Like the One I Got". The Temptations had "Masterpiece" and "Hey Girl" both in '73 were all Top 40 hits. That sound Al Green & Willie Mitchell were making out of Memphis and I believe Muscle Shoals, were very much like Stevie's backing track of the Supremes "Bad Weather". Even the Chi-Lites scored that year with a very similar groove called "Stone Out of My Mind"!

Jimi LaLumia
03-17-2014, 09:47 PM
Thank you.. I rest my case.. the music library is the dungeon until the program director/ music director gives it freedom...the DJs couldn't care less what they play, as long as the check clears..reality check, people..

Jimi LaLumia
03-17-2014, 09:50 PM
the Tops were gone from Motown by then.. "Hey Girl" by The Tempts stiffed at #35 on the pop chart, and the subsequent singles that followed all stiffed at pop.. Motown was kind of done already by then, except for Marvin and Stevie..

marv2
03-17-2014, 10:02 PM
Thank you.. I rest my case.. the music library is the dungeon until the program director/ music director gives it freedom...the DJs couldn't care less what they play, as long as the check clears..reality check, people..

Oh they cared especially when they didn't have to wait for the check to clear and you know what I mean.......hmmmmm...........!

supremester
03-17-2014, 10:10 PM
Touch? LOL......... another hot mess of epic proportions. or epikak proportions, I should say. I think if Mary had done the whole song, it would have done better, but Jean's screetchy interruption after Mary sets the tone for a romantic ballad, is horrendous. Frank Wilson wasn't perfect. This record was a dog. The best version was the stereo promo version - yes, while Motown was trying to kill JMC, they bothered to issue two promo versions of a record they wanted to fail. LOLOL.

Ryon6
03-17-2014, 10:47 PM
All I can say and gonna say is, I loved both "Touch" [[the lp version) and "Bad Weather". I can't remember what position "Touch" reached in the DC area but "Bad Weather" reached number 9 on WOL-AM [[in DC). As for you stating that Jean screeched on both songs, whatever that meant, I totally have to disagree. Not trying to be critical, ahh never mind!

marv2
03-17-2014, 10:59 PM
All I can say and gonna say is, I loved both "Touch" [[the lp version) and "Bad Weather". I can't remember what position "Touch" reached in the DC area but "Bad Weather" reached number 9 on WOL-AM [[in DC). As for you stating that Jean screeched on both songs, whatever that meant, I totally have to disagree. Not trying to be critical, ahh never mind!

Jean and Mary were superb on those songs. You have good tasete and your memory is not faulty. "Touch" is classic in my opinion.......a turntable hit if you get my drift! LOL!

marv2
03-17-2014, 11:14 PM

That wasn't the case at all in places like Philadephia where the DJ's like Jerry Blaveats, Georgie Woods and Butterball had clout! In this particular market they were well known for flipping the A side over and playing the B side on air if they thought it sounded better. In Philly they created local hits out of the B sides to many Motown Records. One noteable one was Martha & the Vandellas' "Third Finger, Left Hand". Anyone on here from Philly can attest to what I am saying. The DJ's in those days had much more power than you are crediting them in your post. In New York City, guys like Frankie Crocker or Cousin Brucie even could make or break your record. This strict programming mostly came about when the large corporations like Clear Channel started gobbling up independent radio stations in the late 80's and onward. In almost every major city in the U.S. the local DJ's were celebrities like Jocko Henderson, Martha Jean, Frantic Ernie Durham [[my friend RIP) and many,many others on the West Coast. Some like Alan Freed ended up in prison because they became so powerful that record companies courted them for obvious reasons!

supremester
03-17-2014, 11:33 PM
I know a lot of JMC fans liked Touch and some, even Bad Weather, but they were not radio friendly IMHO, and that's why they weren't played. Mary has preached lack of promotion for so long that people begin to believe it. Im not knocking Jean's talent - she did exactly what her producers asked of her, I'm sure, but, the sounds just didn't fit radio at the time - especially top 40. I think Mary should have had both leads, personally. There are always dissenting votes. I don't like pieces Of Ice, This House, Endless love and other Rossers think I'm nuts [[which may be true) but art is art and nothing appeals to everyone.

jobeterob
03-18-2014, 12:27 AM
I couldn't link to the Facebook post - says content unavailable. Or maybe I just don't have access as I'm not a Facebook user.

Jobeterob, I know you usually download the print...did you do so this time? If so, can you place it in here?

Kenneth

This lifted right off her page and then she posted the Billboard Ad for I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking; I will try and post the picture too. Here is what she wrote:

Like · · Share · 14 hours ago ·

supremester
03-18-2014, 02:27 AM
Most pop stations had strict play lists by the mid 60s. There were some exceptions, but the biggies had a lot riding on ratings and the PD ruled with an iron fist. IF B sides were added, it was most likely with the blessing of the PD. As more and more pop stations jumped on the band wagon and, thus, creating competition, , programming decision strategies became more and more intense. There was some leeway in some booths, but mostly, by mid 60's the play lists were firm. DJs were give a list of songs to get in that hour.
There were exceptions: KPAM actually played Surrender AND it's Bside I'm A Winner because of multiple requests - but it was new and trying to build a following. I doubt WABC in NYC would have been as accommodating.
Bottom Line: The failure of Bad Weather had zilch to do with anything but the sound. Not EVERY song Mary Wilson EVER sang on was destined to go top ten, Marv.

marv2
03-18-2014, 02:51 AM
Most pop stations had strict play lists by the mid 60s. There were some exceptions, but the biggies had a lot riding on ratings and the PD ruled with an iron fist. IF B sides were added, it was most likely with the blessing of the PD. As more and more pop stations jumped on the band wagon and, thus, creating competition, , programming decision strategies became more and more intense. There was some leeway in some booths, but mostly, by mid 60's the play lists were firm. DJs were give a list of songs to get in that hour.
There were exceptions: KPAM actually played Surrender AND it's Bside I'm A Winner because of multiple requests - but it was new and trying to build a following. I doubt WABC in NYC would have been as accommodating.
Bottom Line: The failure of Bad Weather had zilch to do with anything but the sound. Not EVERY song Mary Wilson EVER sang on was destined to go top ten, Marv.

None of what you said is true. The way radio stations operated and the way music was distributed and sold was much more free and loose in the sixties which is how Berry Gordy and others got away with not producing their sales figures if they decided not to be audited. There is a very old gentleman in New York City who was one of Mr. Gordy's attorney's in the mid sixties that will tell you "some" of the things I just said. Some of the other things he mentioned, you would not believe anyway..........

supremester
03-18-2014, 03:20 AM
Oh, I understand very well how it was distributed and sold - from pirating their own records to ordering 50k of a 45 knowing they would get 100k and only be billed for 50k and a big "rush fee" and many others. I'm sure I don't know the half of it [[go ahead, lets hear the rest, I'll believe you, hun) - however, we digress: we were talking about airplay.

Jimi LaLumia
03-18-2014, 05:28 AM
EVERYTHING supremester said about radio programming is true.. by the early 70's [[the JMC era) major Top 40 stations playlists were tight as a drum...in small markets, at stations with no ratings [[where ever "Bad Weather" reached #9!!!..lol) , it didn't matter, had no impact, it would be like playing records over the PA system in the high school cafeteria.. welcome to the real world..

marybrewster
03-18-2014, 10:03 AM
This lifted right off her page and then she posted the Billboard Ad for I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking; I will try and post the picture too. Here is what she wrote:

Like · · Share · 14 hours ago ·

I hate to disagree with you rob, but I believe the original poster of the photo wrote that, not Susaye. What is telling is the "x" at the end of the post. That's how he ends every post.

milven
03-18-2014, 10:24 AM
DJs had no power in the sixties or seventies. In the fifties, jocks like Peter Tripp, Alan Freed, Murrey The K, etc were able to put together their own program and play what they wanted. Each of their broadcasts were unique. After the 1959 payola scandal, progam directors took over and developed tight playlists for the DJs. DJs no longer had the power to play what he wanted. Frankie Crocker was the exception. But he was also program director of WBLS. I loved his program every day at four, because it was a throwback to the fifties. He played what he wanted, sometimes played them more than once, played new renditions of a song alongside the original rendition and also discussed current local events. That kind of radio no longer exists.

marv2
03-18-2014, 11:54 AM
I hate to disagree with you rob, but I believe the original poster of the photo wrote that, not Susaye. What is telling is the "x" at the end of the post. That's how he ends every post.

Ahemmmmm.........

jobeterob
03-18-2014, 05:16 PM
Ahemmmmm.........

Nope!

Susaye Greene shared Stephen Woods's photo. Cut and pasted from her page.

Susaye took it and shared it on her Facebook page! Picture of the Billboard ad and all.

And she and 51 other people, several of whom post on SD, "liked" her post!

So originally posted by Mr. Wood, shared by Ms. Greene, and liked by 51 other people.

Jimi LaLumia
03-18-2014, 05:55 PM
correct...

bradsupremes
03-18-2014, 07:05 PM
Nope!

Susaye Greene shared Stephen Woods's photo. Cut and pasted from her page.

Susaye took it and shared it on her Facebook page! Picture of the Billboard ad and all.

And she and 51 other people, several of whom post on SD, "liked" her post!

So originally posted by Mr. Wood, shared by Ms. Greene, and liked by 51 other people.

Correction: The photo most likely doesn't belong to Stephen Woods, but rather taken from someone else's page. He has a history of doing that...

marv2
03-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Correction: The photo most likely doesn't belong to Stephen Woods, but rather taken from someone else's page. He has a history of doing that...

Brad, I hear a bubble bursting. You too? LOL!!!!

Jimi LaLumia
03-18-2014, 08:00 PM
that might just be a few of your brain cells! no one cares what you say..

jobeterob
03-18-2014, 08:28 PM
It's just the Ad out of Billboard. I think I still have an original one if I go looking for it. I might be able to post it if I find it and scan it.

I'm sure quite a few people have it. I have an original [[I think).

It's a really good ad. Obviously the Supremes of 76 were still something they cared about.

I bet those bubbles were more likely a fart rather than Marv's brain cells.

jobeterob
03-18-2014, 10:07 PM
I couldn't find the Ad easily but I'm sure I do have it.

Whether Mr. Wood, whoever he is, or Ms. Greene initially posted it, Ms. Susaye "liked" it and it appears on her Facebook page.

You gotta love the Supremes fans. Forty years ago I read a review that said "fortunately, a substantial portion of the populace loathed the Supremes, Diana in particular; this made their fans even more rabid".

Then I think of all us; thereafter I think of Marv and you gotta laugh.

marybrewster
03-19-2014, 08:22 AM

LOL; now you're on to something! He also has a history of making up "names" for the Supremes gowns: the Chocolate Chip Swirls; the Peaches 'n Creme Delights....his imagination never ceases to amaze me!