PDA

View Full Version : 'Motown: The Musical' heading to London

test

alanh
03-14-2014, 12:32 PM
It looks like 'Motown: The Musical' will open in London late this year or early 2015. It's expected that it will take over from 'We Will Rock You', the Queen musical, at The Dominion in Tottenham Court Road after the theatre gets refurbished. Let's hope they take down the statue of Freddie Mercury outside and replace it with Marvin!

http://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/03-2014/motown-the-musical-boogies-into-dominion-after-we-_33801.html

longtimefan
03-14-2014, 02:48 PM
This will be HUGE in London. The British have always supported and appreciated Motown music!!! Cheers!!!!

Jimi LaLumia
03-14-2014, 04:48 PM
also 'predicted' here by yours truly almost a year ago, to the hoots of some here..who's hooting now?

theboyfromxtown
03-14-2014, 06:04 PM
One can but hope that the Motown Alumini attend the 1st performance......

snakepit
03-15-2014, 11:18 AM
Someone should invite The Velvelettes

theboyfromxtown
03-15-2014, 02:11 PM
:-)

*smile*

Roberta75
03-15-2014, 04:09 PM
If anyone should be in London for the opening of Motown the musical it should be the First Lady of Motown dr Martha reeves. There is no greater ambassader for Motown records than Dr Reeves imo.

Roberta

supremester
03-15-2014, 04:26 PM
All due respect to Marvin, but the statue of Freddie Mercury will stand forever - as it should.
It looks like 'Motown: The Musical' will open in London late this year or early 2015. It's expected that it will take over from 'We Will Rock You', the Queen musical, at The Dominion in Tottenham Court Road after the theatre gets refurbished. Let's hope they take down the statue of Freddie Mercury outside and replace it with Marvin!

http://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/03-2014/motown-the-musical-boogies-into-dominion-after-we-_33801.html

alanh
03-15-2014, 04:30 PM
Any artistes will of course be in addition to Berry Gordy, who surely will attend.

jobeterob
03-15-2014, 05:10 PM
Any artistes will of course be in addition to Berry Gordy, who surely will attend.

Awesome news! Hopefully another great moment.

Jimi LaLumia
03-15-2014, 07:37 PM
and, after the worldwide theatre tour... "MOTOWN: THE MOVIE!"...

thisoldheart
03-15-2014, 07:47 PM
i am a little doubtful as to this london premier ... the brits know pop music and like it original and raw. this sugar sweet musical might have a tougher time than in the u.s. where we have no sense of anything older than 15 minutes! however, i was wrong about the success of the u.s. run, so i could be wrong here.

from the clips i saw of the ny production this musical was something i just can't stomach. it reminded me of the dreadful temptations movie. i wish someone could get the history of motown into a serious and studious media. i think a very detailed book is the only way.

Jimi LaLumia
03-15-2014, 08:04 PM
people who attend these shows don't care about history.. they love the fun and the familiar which is why the show will run, worldwide, forever!

jobeterob
03-15-2014, 10:06 PM
I understand thisoldheart's sentiments but I think the Brits will lap this up like the USA did ~ because of the music and the nostalgia and because it is a happy story with a good feel and people want that; you can read the news for all the horrors of Syria, the Ukraine, and airplanes that never land. But return us to another era when we were young and the winters were warmer, the grass was greener and skies were bluer and we we all a lot more naïve.

lakedistrictlad1
03-16-2014, 03:38 AM
I cannot agree with thisoldheart re the British taste for original and raw. There was a 'musical' created by a young British girl a few years ago called 'Mamma Mia' that did quite well.
But to be fair, the West End stage has little to do with reflecting Britain's taste in music. Most of the big productions [[Jersey Boys..Michael Jackson's Thriller..Legally Blonde..and even the Motown musical which has been playing for years) are created to put tourists backsides on seats. Mostly the Americans.

snakepit
03-17-2014, 07:34 AM
I saw it in New York

I think UK audiences will be a bit surprised at the LACK of many UK Motown favourites....Four Tops , Jimmy Ruffin, Temptations etc.....not that many big hits as I recall
great show though