PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Mar 11, 9P-12M ET: TCMS...1968....simply GREAT!!!

test

midnight johnny
03-11-2014, 11:39 AM
Howdy, Nightflight Listeners!!! Hope you'll join me tonight for the continuation of Motown's Complete Singles Collection---1968...another amazing year for "the sound of young America"...no matter how old we've gotten! All this...and more...as always...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org) See ya later! John

Glenpwood
03-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Hi John,

So sorry I missed the rest of 1967 last week but several events conspired to keep me from you. As pennance, I did load several discs from the 1967 & 1968 boxes onto my I-Pod so I could stay caught up with the rest of the class. I played a few cuts twice imagining you extended them [[since I'm sure you did!) Look forward to being back with you and the gang tonight.... see you then!

RossHolloway
03-11-2014, 05:20 PM
I hope to tune in at some point tonight!

sophisticated_soul
03-11-2014, 05:35 PM
In 1968 I was 17 [["Don't you know, know, know He's seventeen") formerly Only 16 [["With eyes that would glow"). Yes, memories light the corners of what's left of my mind.;) John, looking forward to tripping down memory lane with you and the gang tonight as we do MoTown 1968! Can't wait. It's a date. I won't be late. I'll stand on a crate. Without hate. It's my fate.:rolleyes:

midnight johnny
03-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Glen!!! Bobby!!! Joseph!!! Glad you're here! Pardon the brevity...but this moving is a Mother______! Especially when you don't know where you're going to...and I DON'T like the things that....well...YOU Know!!!

MotownLover
03-11-2014, 07:59 PM
I'm also looking forward to tonight's show John.

Howard in Long Beach, CA :cool:

midnight johnny
03-11-2014, 08:11 PM
I'm also looking forward to tonight's show John.

Howard in Long Beach, CA :cool:Howard....a pleasure...as always!!!!

sophisticated_soul
03-11-2014, 08:45 PM
Glen!!! Bobby!!! Joseph!!! Glad you're here! Pardon the brevity...but this moving is a Mother______! Especially when you don't know where you're going to...and I DON'T like the things that....well...YOU Know!!!

I know! Hang on in there my friend. It may not help much right now, but it's true this will soon all be over. Take care buddy.:)

midnight johnny
03-11-2014, 08:49 PM
I know! Hang on in there my friend. It may not help much right now, but it's true this will soon all be over. Take care buddy.:)

Thank you, Joseph...but I don't know...I really don't...and I am an awfully cockeyed optimist.....

Oopppss....IN THE STUDIO!!! Howdeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

sophisticated_soul
03-11-2014, 09:06 PM
Shoo-Be-Doobie-Doo-Da Day :cool:

midnight johnny
03-11-2014, 09:08 PM
Shoo-Be-Doobie-Doo-Da Day :cool:

I knew YOU'D get it.....[[*grin)

kenneth
03-11-2014, 09:32 PM
Tuning in a little late.

Wasn't 1968 the year that Motown had 4 singles in the Billboard Top 10 one week at the same time?

midnight johnny
03-11-2014, 09:37 PM
Tuning in a little late.

Wasn't 1968 the year that Motown had 4 singles in the Billboard Top 10 one week at the same time?

Kenneth...welcome! Oh...I'm not sure about the 4 singles...you'll have to ask one of the experts....

MotownLover
03-11-2014, 09:41 PM
John - Sorry that I missed a major portion of you sharing about what you're dealing with. Had an important phone call and had to turn the volume down for several minutes of the show. Just caught the tail end of it, but I wish you the best buddy!

Howard in Long Beach, CA :D

kenneth
03-11-2014, 09:42 PM
Kenneth...welcome! Oh...I'm not sure about the 4 singles...you'll have to ask one of the experts....

Where's Carole Cucumber when you need her???

midnight johnny
03-11-2014, 09:49 PM
John - Sorry that I missed a major portion of you sharing about what you're dealing with. Had an important phone call and had to turn the volume down for several minutes of the show. Just caught the tail end of it, but I wish you the best buddy!

Howard in Long Beach, CA :D
Howard.....thank you very much, sir....I appreciate it !

midnight johnny
03-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Where's Carole Cucumber when you need her???

Hahahahha....yes....we need CC NOW!!

kenneth
03-11-2014, 09:52 PM
Well, I did find something, from the motownmuseum web site for 1968:

http://www.motownmuseum.org/motown-sound/timeline/timeline-1968/

"Motown had 5 of the Top 10 records on the Billboard Magazine chart. Holding the number 1,2 & 3 positions for an entire month."

My recollection came from the book "The Story of Motown" by Peter Benjaminson; in it, he has a photo of the actual Top 10 chart with the songs in it. I'm sure "Gonna Make you Love Me" was one of them, and maybe "Cloud 9."

carole cucumber
03-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Hahahahha....yes....we need CC NOW!!

CC Rides Again!
Just call my name , I 'll be there in a hurry. On that you can depend and never worry.
Sorry that I'm late to the party.
I see that Kenneth has done some research. Page 114 of Volume 8 shows the chart for Dec. 28, 1968.
The songs:
"I Heard It Through the Grapevine" #1
"For Once In My Life' #2
"Love Child" #3
"I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" #7
"Cloud Nine" #10

Glenpwood
03-11-2014, 10:01 PM
Loving this extended version of If I Were A Carpenter..... If I had to be one though, i'd be Karen.....;)

carole cucumber
03-11-2014, 10:03 PM
Any others questions about Vol 8 still need answered? I'll give them a shot if I'm able.

MotownLover
03-11-2014, 10:03 PM
Loving this extended version of If I Were A Carpenter..... If I had to be one though, i'd be Karen.....;)

Love it, Glenpwood!! :o

midnight johnny
03-11-2014, 10:05 PM

Hee hee....hi there!

midnight johnny
03-11-2014, 10:06 PM
Any others questions about Vol 8 still need answered? I'll give them a shot if I'm able.

Carole......glad to see you....and not just for your expertise!!!!

carole cucumber
03-11-2014, 10:08 PM
Glen honey,
You'd also be dead- and your brother would be holding on to recordings fans hope would be released- as Karen recorded them- not in doctored form as currently presented.

144man
03-11-2014, 10:15 PM
Hi. Didn't know the clocks had changed. Just missed the first hour.

MotownLover
03-11-2014, 10:16 PM
CC - thanks for adding to the dialogue here and with such a sense of humor and insight! ;)

midnight johnny
03-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Hi. Didn't know the clocks had changed. Just missed the first hour.Welcome, Martin!!! Yes....a silly American tradition that serves no reall useful purpose other than to screw up everyone's plans....

Glenpwood
03-11-2014, 10:18 PM
Glen honey,
You'd also be dead- and your brother would be holding on to recordings fans hope would be released- as Karen recorded them- not in doctored form as currently presented.

Thats why I have two sets of minty sounding vinyl pressings of the original albums, with those endearing saliva mouth clicks so it feels like Karen is in the room with you. The endless remixes are mostly pointless. I would put out her unreleased solo cut Love Making Love To You but since Richard hates the whole solo affair I doubt we'll ever see it....

144man
03-11-2014, 10:20 PM
Welcome, Martin!!! Yes....a silly American tradition that serves no reall useful purpose other than to screw up everyone's plans....

Ours don't change till the last weekend in March.

Rockit88
03-11-2014, 10:29 PM
Hi John, it's Stephen Magnotta in sunny Florida!
Just streamed the show and see you are up to 68 [[I believe that was the year I saw Stevie Wonder with the Motown Revue) hope I haven't missed my friends song from then "You Haven't Seen My Love" by Danny Hernandez. I knew and played with them and their producer who owned an indie label in Michigan. They also put out 2 other singles on Motown labels. Great hearing you, Thanks!

carole cucumber
03-11-2014, 10:29 PM
It was determined that Mitch Rider go solo. The Rider-less Wheels were signed to HarryBalk's 'Inferno' label [[Jim McAllister, the groups new drummer was Harry's son-in-law) bought out by Berry Gordy. A ringer [[Mike "Spanky" Lang) was brought in to sing lead of the A -side.

144man
03-11-2014, 10:34 PM
Yes, we change twice a year between Greenwich Mean Time [[GMT) and British Summer Time [[BST). [That's why Ellie Greenwich had a group called the Meantime at one stage.]

carole cucumber
03-11-2014, 10:36 PM
The string-less version of "Keep Off, No Trespassing"- In this case I think the stereo strings version wins in this case.

carole cucumber
03-11-2014, 10:38 PM
The Ones don't appear until after Marvin Gaye's version of "Chained"

midnight johnny
03-11-2014, 10:40 PM
Just streamed the show and see you are up to 68 [[I believe that was the year I saw Stevie Wonder with the Motown Revue) hope I haven't missed my friends song from then "You Haven't Seen My Love" by Danny Hernandez. I knew and played with them and their producer who owned an indie label in Michigan. They also put out 2 other singles on Motown labels. Great hearing you, Thanks!

Stephen.....nice surprise!!!! Great that you slipped in!!!

MotownLover
03-11-2014, 10:41 PM

Hey Stephen, welcome! You're speaking of The Ones, correct? I discovered their Motown single release back in 1968. In some ways their style reminded me of the Classics IV.

Howard in Long Beach, CA ;)

carole cucumber
03-11-2014, 10:42 PM
That spoken into is by Sammy Davis, Jr.
The judge is Pervis Jackson of the Spinners- so it's likely the Spinners in the background with the Andantes.

midnight johnny
03-11-2014, 10:45 PM
Yes, we change twice a year between Greenwich Mean Time [[GMT) and British Summer Time [[BST). [That's why Ellie Greenwich had a group called the Meantime at one stage.]

Thanks, Martin!!

kenneth
03-11-2014, 10:47 PM
CC Rides Again!
Just call my name , I 'll be there in a hurry. On that you can depend and never worry.
Sorry that I'm late to the party.
I see that Kenneth has done some research. Page 114 of Volume 8 shows the chart for Dec. 28, 1968.
The songs:
"I Heard It Through the Grapevine" #1
"For Once In My Life' #2
"Love Child" #3
"I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" #7
"Cloud Nine" #10

Ah, I knew you'd know the answers! Thanks for the tip to look at the set itself! I didn't realize that was in there.

144man
03-11-2014, 10:48 PM
The Volumes were another group on Inferno from the Harry Balk deal.

carole cucumber
03-11-2014, 11:01 PM
[QUOTE=Rockit88;216343]Hi John, it's Stephen Magnotta in sunny Florida!
hope I haven't missed my friends song from then "You Haven't Seen My Love" by Danny Hernandez.

Stephen ,

"You Haven't Seen My Love'' [[ first on the Fenton, then the Spirit label) was picked up by Motown with a Nov. 13, 1967 release . Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
If you tune in next week, you're apt to hear ' Don't Let Me Lose This Dream'/"I've Been Good To You" by The Ones.

144man
03-11-2014, 11:11 PM
When GK&P's "It Should Have Been Me" was released as a single in the UK, they used the album track, so we didn't get the strings.

Glenpwood
03-11-2014, 11:12 PM
Love the doodle do do bit the Pips are doing on this B Side

carole cucumber
03-11-2014, 11:14 PM
The Volumes were another group on Inferno from the Harry Balk deal.

The libretto for this song gives a most interesting fact.
It was Harry Balk who authorized the release of Marvin Gaye's single "What's Going On"
while Berry Gordy was busy establishing "Mowest" in California. Berry had nixed the single because it was too political & jazzy for Marvin & Motown.

carole cucumber
03-11-2014, 11:18 PM
"What The World Needs Now Is Love" [[originally assigned to Kim Weston) & "Your Kiss Of Fire" were only considered for release. The next 2 songs that you're about to play [[castinets-a-go-go-the A-side) became the single.

midnight johnny
03-11-2014, 11:27 PM
"What The World Needs Now Is Love" [[originally assigned to Kim Weston) & "Your Kiss Of Fire" were only considered for release. The next 2 songs that you're about to play [[castinets-a-go-go-the A-side) became the single.

Thanks Carole!!!!

carole cucumber
03-11-2014, 11:29 PM
One possibility for "What The World Needs Now Is Love" being considered for release as a single is that it is a Holland-Dozier production.

sophisticated_soul
03-11-2014, 11:38 PM
Special Delivery for Midnight Johnny:

Hang On In There Johnny!

midnight johnny
03-11-2014, 11:45 PM
Special Delivery for Midnight Johnny:

Hang On In There Johnny!

My lord they're beautiful....don't make me cry...............thank you, my friend!!

carole cucumber
03-11-2014, 11:47 PM
I had forgotten that "I Am Your Man'' and "Malinda" were recorded for a proposed Bobby Taylor solo album, that later evolved into 'Taylor Made Soul' However both songs were credited to the group and included on The Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers album.

MotownLover
03-11-2014, 11:48 PM
John, snug hugz from all of us are sent your way. I'm certain of that!!!

Howard in Long Beach, CA :)

MotownLover
03-11-2014, 11:50 PM
What a beautiful thought and delivery, sophisticated soul...

midnight johnny
03-11-2014, 11:50 PM
Thank you all for letting me spend this time with you....and thanks so much for your heart and humor and accurate information....have a wonderful week....till the next time...

carole cucumber
03-11-2014, 11:51 PM
Let's hope that The Four Tops On Broadway album eventually gets released with bonus tracks.

midnight johnny
03-11-2014, 11:52 PM
John, snug hugz from all of us are sent your way. I'm certain of that!!!

Howard in Long Beach, CA :)

Thank you Howard....and back to you...and all....

kenneth
03-11-2014, 11:54 PM
Thanks! Great show! 1968 was a really awesome year!

Rockit88
03-11-2014, 11:54 PM
Thanks Carole,
I still have all three "Ones" 45's, they were each released on different labels, Tamla, Motown and Rare Earth. The band Rare Earth was also a Lansing based band, as were another Motown act "Magic". It would just be nice to hear some of those bands I knew played on WOMR.

[QUOTE=Rockit88;216343]Hi John, it's Stephen Magnotta in sunny Florida!
hope I haven't missed my friends song from then "You Haven't Seen My Love" by Danny Hernandez.

Stephen ,

"You Haven't Seen My Love'' [[ first on the Fenton, then the Spirit label) was picked up by Motown with a Nov. 13, 1967 release . Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
If you tune in next week, you're apt to hear ' Don't Let Me Lose This Dream'/"I've Been Good To You" by The Ones.

midnight johnny
03-11-2014, 11:56 PM
[QUOTE=Rockit88;216381]Thanks Carole,
I still have all three "Ones" 45's, they were each released on different labels, Tamla, Motown and Rare Earth. The band Rare Earth was also a Lansing based band, as were another Motown act "Magic". It would just be nice to hear some of those bands I knew played on WOMR.

Goodnight Stephen!!!!!!!

sophisticated_soul
03-11-2014, 11:57 PM
We love you Johnny! And we are for you. Thank you for another great show. And great big Thank You to the gang, one and all, for making a good thing better. See y'all next time.:)

sophisticated_soul
03-11-2014, 11:58 PM
What a beautiful thought and delivery, sophisticated soul...

They are from all of us, I'm certain of that too.:)

carole cucumber
03-12-2014, 12:00 AM
[QUOTE=Rockit88;216381]Thanks Carole,

Stephen,

Tamla? Are you sure? The first two releases were [[officially) on the Motown label and the third on Rare Earth.