PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross and The Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl

test

Pages : [1] 2

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
03-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Made ya look.....lol. Was just checking to see if there was an update from someone?

sup_fan
03-11-2014, 09:31 PM
mean

i was gonna post an update i heard but now i won't! :p

hehehe

03-11-2014, 09:59 PM
LOL.....awe come on..... :D

honest man
03-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Would love Love Child,Let the Sunshine in,Cream of the Crop expanded with tracks in Chronological order ,then Disney just for the one DRATS song Chim CHIM chimeree i need to complete DRATS history ,cheers.

antceleb12
03-12-2014, 04:43 PM
Yeah, they're weeks late on announcing it. Come on, guys!!!

Roger Polhill
03-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Would love Love Child,Let the Sunshine in,Cream of the Crop expanded with tracks in Chronological order ,then Disney just for the one DRATS song Chim CHIM chimeree i need to complete DRATS history ,cheers.
Does this mean that you already have "A Spoonful Of Sugar" and "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" then Andy?

honest man
03-14-2014, 03:13 PM
Does this mean that you already have "A Spoonful Of Sugar" and "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" then Andy?

Hmm Roger ,that would be telling,check your inbox,cheers.

marybrewster
03-17-2014, 11:03 AM
Perhaps the delay in announcement means they are considering a physical release?

A girl can dare to dream.....

JohnnyB
03-17-2014, 11:39 AM
Perhaps the delay in announcement means they are considering a physical release?

A girl can dare to dream.....

A guy can dare to dream also--I've been hoping the same thing!

vgalindo
03-17-2014, 03:20 PM
A guy can dare to dream also--I've been hoping the same thing!
Can this guy dream too. Please, Please lets get a physical release. It is the only one that has never been released on cd before. Other than GIT.

sophisticated_soul
03-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Can this alien/human hybrid dream too. Through out the known Universe there is great disappointment that UMG may release "Funny Girl" as a digital download only. The only Supremes' studio album to meet such a tragic fate. Surely in this day and age there could be at least a limited CD release, along with the download. If the download goes for $9.99 I would be happy to pay $19.99 for a physical release. Think about it UMG. Please. And until this matter is resolved I suggest you UMG folks stay away from Orion, those guys are really pissed. Just saying.:)

longtimefan
03-17-2014, 04:02 PM
Too bad that Motown would not outsource this to Ace or one if the other "approved" vendors in recent years. We could have had a great product!!!!

honest man
03-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by JohnnyB

A guy
can dare to dream also--I've been hoping the same thing! DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE.HA.Cheers.

marybrewster
03-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Too bad that Motown would not outsource this to Ace or one if the other "approved" vendors in recent years. We could have had a great product!!!!

I agree. We were lucky enough to get "Partners" by Scherrie and Susaye; if that can be released as a physical product, certainly "Funny Girl" could be as well. I don't think there's a lot of "extras" from that recording time-frame, so even a single-disc, direct release would be better than digital-only. The expanded booklet alone [[with Supremes timeline) would be well worth the price.

johnjeb
03-21-2014, 07:06 PM
I just played my CD-R of this album and enjoyed it as much as I did when It was originally released. Although I only play it every couple of years, if even that often, I would like to have it on a physical CD.

carole cucumber
03-27-2014, 09:55 AM
Go to 4:58 of this video

http://www.jump-in.com.au/show/mornings/videos/3396627017001/

carole cucumber
03-27-2014, 10:08 AM
Thanks George, Andy & Randy [[it even has a nice ring to it) .

reese
03-27-2014, 10:11 AM
Go to 4:58 of this video

What is said in the video? When I went to the site and tried to play it, nothing happened.

marybrewster
03-27-2014, 10:11 AM
Thanks George, Andy & Randy [[it even has a nice ring to it) .

It's coming out on CD? ;)

carole cucumber
03-27-2014, 10:12 AM
It's coming out on CD? ;)

That's what the man said!

carole cucumber
03-27-2014, 10:17 AM
What is said in the video? When I went to the site and tried to play it, nothing happened.
Diana Ross & the Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl is scheduled for a cd release next month. Andy said on Nightflight that George Solomon had a lot to do with the then un-named release, that it was going to be fabulous and that they had just been given a release date.
J. Randy Taraborelli said in the video that he was also involved with the release and said that it was coming out on cd next month.

reese
03-27-2014, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the info!

marybrewster
03-27-2014, 11:03 AM
Do you suppose CD means "physical" CD?

kenneth
03-27-2014, 11:05 AM
Good to get this information and looking forward to the release of Funny Girl. It'd be great if it was paired with 1 or 2 of the other concept LPs.

The interview with Taraborelli was good once he stopped promoting himself and actually talked about Diane.

jobeterob
03-27-2014, 11:11 AM
Good to get this information and looking forward to the release of Funny Girl. It'd be great if it was paired with 1 or 2 of the other concept LPs.

The interview with Taraborelli was good once he stopped promoting himself and actually talked about Diane.

He learned from Mary Wilson and other Motown artists as things died down for them ~ you need to go after "it" every chance you get and you hook on to whatever you have to hook on to.

Bokiluis
03-27-2014, 11:38 AM
Fantastic! I think Diana did a splendid job on "Sings and Performs "Funny Girl". I've lived off of a fairly decent sounding CDR made my one of the fans, but, now the real thing makes it to CD. Randy is an accomplished writer and I like several of his books. Thanks to Harry, George, Andy and Randy for fulfilling a dream for so many fans. Cannot wait......especially for the liner notes. Now if only they would add the wonderful Ed Sullivan medley as bonus video material like bonus video material is a trademark of the Sony Legacy reissues. But I'm grateful for the music regardless! I plan on buying several copies for my library.

marybrewster
03-27-2014, 12:13 PM
I am very excited for this release. It's what the fans have been wanting for years! I always look so forward to the extensive liner notes and the never-seen-before pictures. I wonder if Mary was involved at all with this release?

kenneth
03-27-2014, 12:26 PM

Yes, absolutely. CD refers to the format; "album" refers to a collection. They would call it an MP3 album if it was meant for digital download only.

vgalindo
03-27-2014, 12:31 PM
This is the most wonderful news . I guess they really did listen to the fans who wanted a physical release. I was kind of sad that it was going to be a digital release only. I am now very excited.

marybrewster
03-27-2014, 12:42 PM
Thank you kenneth; and YES, I agree vgalindo! Our voices were heard, honey!

I personally would like to thank Harry for his reconsideration of format; especially with the 50th Anniversary of the original "Funny Girl" just around the corner, this title by DRATS absolutely deserves a proper release. Thank you Harry!

And of course Andy and George and Randy for their time and love put into this most "supreme' product!

vgalindo
03-27-2014, 12:49 PM
Thank you kenneth; and YES, I agree vgalindo! Our voices were heard, honey!

I personally would like to thank Harry for his reconsideration of format; especially with the 50th Anniversary of the original "Funny Girl" just around the corner, this title by DRATS absolutely deserves a proper release. Thank you Harry!

And of course Andy and George and Randy for their time and love put into this most "supreme' product!

Yes I would also like to thank them very much for this wonderful release. I am most grateful.

03-27-2014, 01:29 PM
Andy said on facebook about an hour ago: Andy Skurow [[https://www.facebook.com/andy.skurow?fref=ufi) This is a digital only release, but there WILL BE A BOOKLET! Yes, I shouted that, because George Solomon [[https://www.facebook.com/solomongeo) is a genius for making one of our most beautiful packages ever! Now I'll stop talking because I'm waiting for next month's announcement.

jobeterob
03-27-2014, 02:21 PM

mwmr
03-27-2014, 02:26 PM
Andy said on facebook about an hour ago: Andy Skurow [[https://www.facebook.com/andy.skurow?fref=ufi) This is a digital only release, but there WILL BE A BOOKLET! Yes, I shouted that, because George Solomon [[https://www.facebook.com/solomongeo) is a genius for making one of our most beautiful packages ever! Now I'll stop talking because I'm waiting for next month's announcement.

so NO CD then ??? Just a crappy download!! If thats the only format then i won't be buying it.
Where does a download sit amongst the gorgeous previous Hipo Supremes releases on my shelves??

Physical CDs is what we collectors want!!

Christ if Scherrie & Susyaes Partners can get a physical CD release why can't the rest of DRATS albums.

Very disillusioned and somewhat disappointed

vgalindo
03-27-2014, 02:29 PM
so NO CD then ??? Just a crappy download!! If thats the only format then i won't be buying it.
Where does a download sit amongst the gorgeous previous Hipo Supremes releases on my shelves??

Physical CDs is what we collectors want!!

Christ if Scherrie & Susyaes Partners can get a physical CD release why can't the rest of DRATS albums.

Very disillusioned and somewhat disappointed

I feel really sad and disappointed again!! I already have it as a CDR with cover work. I wanted studio quality. Oh well.

longtimefan
03-27-2014, 02:54 PM
HipO has become a major disappointment. Follow the money....

I wish the people who represent them would cease leaking information. As said above, disappointment is now coupled with annoyance. Just because they were "great" once does not mean than fans don't now have the right to see them in a different light.

djessie
03-27-2014, 03:02 PM
This is beyond disappointing! I have bought every Diana release over the years - all the HipO ones, every re-issue, every compilation - EVERYTHING!

But I am most certainly not going to by some digital download. I never have and I never, ever will. I COLLECT Diana Ross releases and have no interest in having some MP3 album on my computer [[or to burn on CD-R). I want an official CD release. If this is the future of how Diana/The Supremes releases are going to be handled in the future then I will pass.

BTW: I am 36 years old and I have been collecting music since I was a kid. I have over 200 Diana CD's and I am more than willing to buy at least 200 more. Just give the fans what they want - a strictly limited CD release can't be that hard to produce! Until then, sadly, no sale for me...

Glenpwood
03-27-2014, 03:02 PM
Can we take a step back and take a few deep breaths and try to find a silver lining here? At this point, we have gone quite a while without any Supremes releases period. The fact that we are getting, by all accounts, the poorest selling Supremes album issued in any format is a blessing because I'm fairly certain the higher ups at Universal have probably shot this album down for decades because it didn't sell. We've also been fortunate to have Andy, George, and Harry constantly trying to get us these releases out there or at least putting key tracks from them onto compilations to tide us over until we can get the real deal. I'm sure it can get very discouraging at times for them. The reality of today is that society as a whole is consuming music in a far different way than they once did. The only growth market left in physical media is now vinyl records. I prefer physical formats as much as the next guy but I have friends who say why take up space or money with music when you can just stream it. We can fight change but alas change is a constant thing in life. Now where is the silver lining? If this only comes out digitally perhaps we will later get it physically as part of something bigger and better. The long rumored box of the concept albums perhaps? It would be a perfect opportunity. My appeal would be to download the set, enjoy the digital booklet, get it printed on high gloss paper at Staples, burn a disc, and stick them in a jewel case and be patient. The guys always make it worth the wait to do so and the overall sales of Supremes product show the label the level of passion there is to keep getting things out of the vault. The bean counters read lack of sales as lack of interest in any format. Also, another country like Japan who put out Partners may note its sales success and issue it. Lets try being gracious that we are getting something long awaited and enjoy the positive aspects of that rather than dwell on not being able to hold it in our hands.....

djessie
03-27-2014, 03:17 PM
I'm sorry, but I fail to see any positive aspects in a digital-only release. It means I won't buy it, simple as that. It's not just about the music - it's about collecting actual, official releases in full sound quality [[which MP3 is never going to be). This album is over 40 years old and I'm sure that most people that ever had any interest in it already own it on LP or as a bootleg.

Yes, the music market has sadly changed a lot. But the people that are most likely to actually buy physical releases are exactly people like me - fans of an artist that has been releasing music for decades and whose releases people have bought on physical formats for all that time. Trying to get the majority of the audience of an artist that has been releasing music for 50 years to all of a sudden go digital just isn't going to work. If they want to sell this, they need to release it on CD as well.

I get what you are saying Glenpwood - but I refuse to show my support to a "product" that just isn't what a lot of the fans want. Andy, George and Harry have done a wonderful job in the past and this is in no way directed at them. But until there are actual physical products released, I will pass. I just hope that the powers that make these decisions will rethink this new approach!

longtimefan
03-27-2014, 03:28 PM
Glenpwood, I respect your opinion and well stated "case." However, I think we are only fooling ourselves to think/hope that if he get this album digitally, that may lead to getting if physically one day.

As I said above, just because HipO was once great does not limit our right to find its current iteration as disappointing and not responsive.

Motown should have licensed Funny Girl with the MANY, MANY other recent Japanese release. Go back and review the numerous artists in that major release of Motown material. Many if them have no where near the sales appeal [[ or even the name recognition) of Diana Toss and The Supremes!!! What a shame!!!

calvin
03-27-2014, 03:29 PM
I must have missed something during the past couple of years. I see that it's now common [[not only in this forum, but also in The Second Disc for example) to say "digital release" with the meaning "download only". Physical cds are also digital releases! But I'll have to go with the flow on the terminology...

I wonder if this will work financially for them. As we discussed in another thread, about half of all *complete album* sales in the US are physical cds, and in the UK this proportion is higher. And I would guess that with a release like this, where the potential purchasers will tend to be older than the average music buyers, physical cds would be even more preferred. How many sales will they lose by not making it available physically?

Physical cds are not expensive to make - the most expensive part is the mastering, which has to be done in any case and is a one-off cost. The discs themselves cost pennies to make. The booklet, shipping and storage cost more, but do they really save so much on those? Ace/Kent and many other labels are able to release physical cds which are far from top sellers.

I could understand Motown Unreleased 1962 & 1963 being released as download only, and I bought all of those sets without complaint. But the only album by The Supremes which has not yet appeared on cd?

Harry and Andy - if we can't have a physical cd, PLEASE make this available somewhere as a lossless download, so we can have cd quality audio! [[7Digital, for example, does offer some lossless downloads encoded in flac, so this is doable!)

vgalindo
03-27-2014, 03:32 PM
I'm sorry, but I fail to see any positive aspects in a digital-only release. It means I won't buy it, simple as that. It's not just about the music - it's about collecting actual, official releases in full sound quality [[which MP3 is never going to be). This album is over 40 years old and I'm sure that most people that ever had any interest in it already own it on LP or as a bootleg.

Yes, the music market has sadly changed a lot. But the people that are most likely to actually buy physical releases are exactly people like me - fans of an artist that has been releasing music for decades and whose releases people have bought on physical formats for all that time. Trying to get the majority of the audience of an artist that has been releasing music for 50 years to all of a sudden go digital just isn't going to work. If they want to sell this, they need to release it on CD as well.

I get what you are saying Glenpwood - but I refuse to show my support to a "product" that just isn't what a lot of the fans want. Andy, George and Harry have done a wonderful job in the past and this is in no way directed at them. But until there are actual physical products released, I will pass. I just hope that the powers that make these decisions will rethink this new approach!
I hate to say it but I agree with you 100% I also have never downloaded any music that I actually wanted to keep and collect. Maybe just a ring tone but never an entire album. It just does not interest me.

sophisticated_soul
03-27-2014, 03:43 PM
What a let down! For a moment there I thought our voices were heard [[and made a difference). No such luck. Just J. Randy misrepresenting the facts. Something in my opinion he does very well. Anyone who has read my posts knows I have nothing but love and appreciation for Harry, George and Andy. But as far as I'm concerned Randy can take a walk. And that's putting it mildly.:[[

carole cucumber
03-27-2014, 03:49 PM
That's what the man said!

To Mary and others,

I do apologize for believing that J. Randy Taraborrelli was telling the truth when he said in the interview that the cd version of Diana Ross & the Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl was being released next month- and then for posting what was said. I'm sorry that I've been an unwitting accomplice to your disappointment.
I now have learned to not trust those who work for/with Universal on releases.
But, life will go on.
Once again, I am so sorry for being part of the deception.

calvin
03-27-2014, 03:50 PM

Unfortunately, just as "digital release" actually means "download only", now we find that "CD" also means "download only"!

Lulu
03-27-2014, 04:20 PM
Can we take a step back and take a few deep breaths and try to find a silver lining here? At this point, we have gone quite a while without any Supremes releases period. The fact that we are getting, by all accounts, the poorest selling Supremes album issued in any format is a blessing because I'm fairly certain the higher ups at Universal have probably shot this album down for decades because it didn't sell. We've also been fortunate to have Andy, George, and Harry constantly trying to get us these releases out there or at least putting key tracks from them onto compilations to tide us over until we can get the real deal. I'm sure it can get very discouraging at times for them. The reality of today is that society as a whole is consuming music in a far different way than they once did. The only growth market left in physical media is now vinyl records. I prefer physical formats as much as the next guy but I have friends who say why take up space or money with music when you can just stream it. We can fight change but alas change is a constant thing in life. Now where is the silver lining? If this only comes out digitally perhaps we will later get it physically as part of something bigger and better. The long rumored box of the concept albums perhaps? It would be a perfect opportunity. My appeal would be to download the set, enjoy the digital booklet, get it printed on high gloss paper at Staples, burn a disc, and stick them in a jewel case and be patient. The guys always make it worth the wait to do so and the overall sales of Supremes product show the label the level of passion there is to keep getting things out of the vault. The bean counters read lack of sales as lack of interest in any format. Also, another country like Japan who put out Partners may note its sales success and issue it. Lets try being gracious that we are getting something long awaited and enjoy the positive aspects of that rather than dwell on not being able to hold it in our hands.....

I couldn't agree more...thank you.

supremester
03-27-2014, 04:33 PM
I want a beautiful DigiPak release as well. I have to believe that Motown is doing what they feel is correct. I'm not happy about it at all, but I will buy it. I agree with everyone here about the reasons for a physical release, but it is what it is and, since the LP was a poor seller originally, I assume they are not expecting much. Maybe we could have a mass write-in to do a special run just for us. When you think about the cost of producing the CD and the number of copies expected to sell, it's not a lot of profit. Big companies look at bigger numbers. Hopefully, they will license it out or allow Andy & George to do a start up on their own.
As for Randy T, he seems to be a nice guy, but reticent to value fact over business. [[Rather than admit he had no idea how Miss Ross was spending her 70th, he said she's spending it quietly with her kids. He left out the lavish engagement party she threw for them. )

carole cucumber
03-27-2014, 04:44 PM
Can we take a step back and take a few deep breaths and try to find a silver lining here? Now where is the silver lining? If this only comes out digitally perhaps we will later get it physically as part of something bigger and better. The long rumored box of the concept albums perhaps? It would be a perfect opportunity....

Glen ,
I'm not sure I'm following your thinking here. If the powers that be see one low selling lp from the Supremes' catalogue as fodder for 'down load only', I just can't imagine the same individuals thinking that other similar concept items + this soon to be 'download only' package should see a physical release as a box set. The concept albums likely did not sell all that well either, and several fans [[and we all are entitled to our opinion) have stated that they would not support the release of one or other of those individually. So why do a concept box?
[[If the powers that be feel that they can save money by having us pay to download the music in a lesser resolution and to pay an additional fee to print our the booklet in whatever way we choose, they might assume that this is what we want, so as to keep up with many of the younger generation's philosophy concerning music ) .

jobeterob
03-27-2014, 04:53 PM
I think it's still good and I think we should all support and buy it. In the next 10 years, almost all these artists will stop performing and several of them won't be here. Take whatever we can get and support them in every way ~ physical CD, digital CD, attend the concert and stand up to the naysayers.

djessie
03-27-2014, 05:04 PM
I think it's still good and I think we should all support and buy it. In the next 10 years, almost all these artists will stop performing and several of them won't be here. Take whatever we can get and support them in every way ~ physical CD, digital CD, attend the concert and stand up to the naysayers.

You are of course entitled to your opinion. But blindly supporting a record company that doesn't bother to give their customers the products they want is hardly supporting the artists that made the recordings several decades ago. I very much doubt that Diana or Mary see any money from these re-issues...

carole cucumber
03-27-2014, 05:12 PM

Rob,

I feel that each person will decide whether he or she will purchase some/all of the tracks/booklet. It's our individual right.
But I'm not sure what possessed you to call for anyone to "stand up to the naysayers". Who are the naysayers? Those who exercise their right to hold out for a physical product? No one can stop anyone from choosing to/not to purchase the work in the fashion in which it is being offered.
And, by "support the concert" may I assume that you mean Diana's? [[although I hope that you really mean support any [[former Motown) Supreme in performance.

westgrandboulevard
03-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Downloads do seem to be the way forward - but not to my own way of thinking, at least at the present time - and for the same reasons as given in the posts above.

If it's true that the transient mass market really prefers downloads, then CDs could still be manufactured in short runs, but considered as a souvenir product,and marketed to the memory keepers, such as all the good people here.

There are probably many copyright, royalty and legal issues precluding it, but it's still good to hope that artists like Diana Ross could have certain of her CDs in short runs made available to purchase at her concerts, or through her own website, and at premium prices if signed or personally dedicated.

It would be in Diana Ross' own interests, she would be directly addressing her own market, the costs [[wholly or partially) might perhaps be set against the advertising budget for the shows- and no-one can sell Diana Ross discs better than the lady herself.:)

RossHolloway
03-27-2014, 05:14 PM

A voice of reason. While I would prefer a physical release, i will still buy the digital release and see no problem with having one, its better than having nothing at all.

djessie
03-27-2014, 05:31 PM
For some people it may be better than having nothing. I can just as well play [[and rip) my LP...

Album sales are at an all time low - yet albums still generally sell more on physical formats than downloads. And there are several companies releasing [[on CD) old albums with artists that have much lesser general appeal than Diana/The Supremes [[Pia Zadora, Samantha Fox etc). Why Motown, which has already started a fantastic series with HipO can't continue to do so is beyond me.

carole cucumber
03-27-2014, 05:31 PM
i just noticed something quite interesting at the Ace website

http://acerecords.co.uk/home

under the "Coming soon- Preorder now" section.

A work by Otis Span and one by T-Bone Walker will be available as either a cd or mp3 download.
And the 3 Detroit Emeralds mp3's have been available as cd's on the Westbound label.

carole cucumber
03-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Andy has posted on Facebook that he is PLANNING that the next releases will be physical.
Part of me suspects that Andy, George & Harry had planned Funny Girl as a physical release, but were over-ruled. I wonder if at one point they were led to believe that Funny Girl was going to be a physical release. I guess we'll never know.
Perhaps the ruling powers [[or even Barbara, herself- perish the thought) did not want a physical product competing with the 50th Anniversary Edition of [[Broadway) Funny Girl.

stephanie
03-27-2014, 06:17 PM
When I saw this thread I was so excited and then the download and I was let down. I am standing with the people on this board there are enough fans who would buy this. For instance there are TONS of people including myself who are looking for This is the Story!

Forget the fact that Funny Girl didnt sell then. So many books have been written and with the interest in the Supremes again [[especially Florence) there are many who want these albums and booklets on CD. We fans have been protesting and there are much younger people out there due to the Beyonce and Dreamgirl Phenomenon more people are looking into these things. Billie Holliday for example due to Lady Sings the Blues people were looking into a figure that some people never bought a CD on. Maybe its the fan in me but I think Funny Girl on CD would sell well like the other CDs.

ejluther
03-27-2014, 06:20 PM
Hooray for having a booklet!

Bokiluis
03-27-2014, 07:42 PM
Taborelli clearly stated CDs. There's no need to make up anything because he said that he was involved. And as a writer, sure, he could do digital liner notes but Motown/Universal knows that this has collector's appeal. Fans have been asking for this one for far too long.

They also need to schedule a dual "T.C.B./G.I.T." release. All Music says that "T.C.B." Doesn't hold up well, but, it is on my iPod in the shuffle mode and I enjoy it when it comes on. I've never cared for "G.I.T. as much. But since the fantasy of a DVD seems unfathomable ..........I would at least like the music. I bought "T.C.B." as a two-offer when it came out in the 80s. I love the covers medley and most of The Temptations cuts with Paul Williams stealing the show with his gut wrenching "For Once in My Life". It is especially profound to know he committed suicide just months after this noteworthy performance.

I suspect the reason Hip-O Select has been nearly inactive is that the new regime Barry Weiss and the former BMG team were probably evaluating its profitability. When we fail to buy those limited editions, it jeopardizes the chances of Hip-O being extended budgets. And Barry Weiss, when he headed up Jive, was always pretty conservative with budgets.

smark21
03-27-2014, 08:17 PM
I thought Paul Williams died in 71--if so, that would be a couple of years after TCB, not "months".

There are albums which didn't sell much in its initial release that have been re-issued as physical re-releases. But I suspect many of them had artistic qualifications/credibility to justify such a release. I'm not sure DRATS Funny Girl could pass that test [[beyond the die hard fans) as IMO, it's the most commercially crass and creatively bankrupt album released in the career[[s) of Diana Ross/The Supremes. It boggles my mind Berry and Motown would have their top act record and release a project to cash in on the publicity of the Funny Girl movie and the popularity of the show. Times were different then.

Bokiluis
03-27-2014, 08:36 PM
I thought Paul Williams died in 71--if so, that would be a couple of years after TCB, not "months".

There are albums which didn't sell much in its initial release that have been re-issued as physical re-releases. But I suspect many of them had artistic qualifications/credibility to justify such a release. I'm not sure DRATS Funny Girl could pass that test [[beyond the die hard fans) as IMO, it's the most commercially crass and creatively bankrupt album released in the career[[s) of Diana Ross/The Supremes. It boggles my mind Berry and Motown would have their top act record and release a project to cash in on the publicity of the Funny Girl movie and the popularity of the show. Times were different then.

You may be right. I didn't verify it before I wrote it. Maybe the better thing to say is the soulful wrenching performance was even more powerful when you heard of his tragic ending.
honestly, as a fan of the "Funny Girl" album....all I know is I loved the album and I also own nearly all of Streisand's albums. You already stated your NOT a fan, so it wasn't made for you as Snoop Dogg often says. So I really only care what I think at the end of the day. You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

But I think Diana competed quite well with Streisand. A few years later you would see just how much Diana emulated/admired Streisand. It was often said that is what part of her career was pattern after. For me, my opinion only, Diana could do Streisand but Streisand struggled doing Motown material. But there was room for both in my listening.

And I don't belong to the criticizing of Mr. Gordy Club. Without his vision, my musical life would be quite barren. So I don't spend time in the negative. I am a hardcore Motown fan and I would be remissed in not giving credit where credit is due. Some of the most important music men [[Clive Davis, David Geffen, etc.) were also very determined visionaries. I deeply admire the man. I feel blessed that I had the opportunity to tell him personally what he has meant to my life,
Paul actually transitioned in 1973 so it was even longer than that. My point was the man revealed a deep, dark emotional performance that nearly stole the show.

marybrewster
03-27-2014, 08:40 PM
I couldn't be more disappointed.

With no offense to my friends Andy and George, if the attitude at Universal is, either it's digital download or nothing at all, they can go f*ck themselves.

Not supporting it, and not buying it.

Life ain't so funny, Funny Girl.

daviddh
03-27-2014, 09:29 PM
maybe we should wait to see what comes before we judge.

Bokiluis
03-27-2014, 09:39 PM
maybe we should wait to see what comes before we judge.
No wiser words have been spoken. Thank you.

Jimi LaLumia
03-27-2014, 09:42 PM
I stated here last year [[or was it the year before), when "Copa" and "Symphony" were released expanded, and everyone was moaning, I'm not buying this and I'm not buying that, I'm waiting for the other thing [[whatever), was that if you don't support the product as it's released, you ain't never gonna see the 'other thing', cos production will stop if sales stop..and guess what, moaners..that's what happened..

carole cucumber
03-27-2014, 09:59 PM
Jim,

Several of us , [[whom you're now affectionately terming "moaners) have posted on previous threads that we have bought all of the physical expanded Hip-O-Select Motown releases as they have been issued- so unless you think that we were all lying, your chastising generalization does not apply to a good many of us.
Andy has mention that he is working on planned releases that he currently envisions being released as physical product- [[whether they come to be released as such will need to be proven, and I'm sure that's beyond Andy, George, or Harry's control) . So your statement that 'the other thing's production has stopped' is likely not correct. But only time will tell.

longtimefan
03-27-2014, 10:16 PM
I am just curious ... When an album as well as THE BOOKLET are released as a download, how is the actual booklet presented? Is is several individual pages that you cut out one you print them? Since most of us cannot print front to back, it can't be like a a booklet that comes with a physical CD. I am trying to imagine the downloaded format.

Thuis is really not a FUNNY GIRL question ... but I'd love to know more. Thanks!

Bokiluis
03-27-2014, 10:24 PM
I am just curious ... When an album as well as THE BOOKLET are released as a download, how is the actual booklet presented? Is is several individual pages that you cut out one you print them? Since most of us cannot print front to back, it can't be like a a booklet that comes with a physical CD. I am trying to imagine the downloaded format.

Thuis is really not a FUNNY GIRL question ... but I'd love to know more. Thanks!
Look on iTunes. It comes with a digital booklet that you can either read online or print out. Digital only releases have no packaging or distribution and very little marketing costs, so they are significantly more cost effective.
i am not crazy about digital booklets, but, its better than nothing. They are just not designed for collector's.
check iTunes, nearly all Diana/The Supremes albums have been released including things like "Diana's Duets" and every possible compilation. It's quite impressive because even the old a Tower Record stores didn't have every release.

Lulu
03-27-2014, 11:47 PM
Look on iTunes. It comes with a digital booklet that you can either read online or print out. Digital only releases have no packaging or distribution and very little marketing costs, so they are significantly more cost effective.
i am not crazy about digital booklets, but, its better than nothing. They are just not designed for collector's.
check iTunes, nearly all Diana/The Supremes albums have been released including things like "Diana's Duets" and every possible compilation. It's quite impressive because even the old a Tower Record stores didn't have every release.

I received a few iTunes gift cards from co-workers at holiday time and purchased both Eddie Kendricks/David Ruffin sets on iTunes and I found the cd sets insanely priced on Amazon and eBay. I also went ahead and got the Jackson 5 and Mary Wells Lost & Found sets, both with digital booklets. Here's a screencap of the Mary book:

Lulu
03-27-2014, 11:48 PM
I received a few iTunes gift cards from co-workers at holiday time and purchased both Eddie Kendricks/David Ruffin sets on iTunes and I found the cd sets insanely priced on Amazon and eBay. I also went ahead and got the Jackson 5 and Mary Wells Lost & Found sets, both with digital booklets. Here's a screencap of the Mary book:

Quality is much clearer. The screencap seems to have compressed the image file.

longtimefan
03-27-2014, 11:49 PM

Thanks for reply, but I am not sure what you are saying about iTunes. Are you indicating that previous Diana albums that are available on iTunes have booklets that I can see?

longtimefan
03-27-2014, 11:51 PM
Quality is much clearer. The screencap seems to have compressed the image file.

So, Lulu, you print it out on paper and assemble a booklet ... but the pages are not front to back? Thanks for your assistance. I have long been curious about this.

Lulu
03-27-2014, 11:56 PM
So, Lulu, you print it out on paper and assemble a booklet ... but the pages are not front to back? Thanks for your assistance. I have long been curious about this.

It is a PDF file. Choose "booklet" from the "Page Size and Handling" option from the Print screen.

kenneth
03-27-2014, 11:58 PM
Well, I find this very disappointing. I'm sure they'll sell some but the kind of collectors interested in this material I doubt will warm up to the download offering.

Carole - you don't need to apologize. You just reported what you heard.

jobeterob
03-28-2014, 12:04 AM
Rob,

I feel that each person will decide whether he or she will purchase some/all of the tracks/booklet. It's our individual right.
But I'm not sure what possessed you to call for anyone to "stand up to the naysayers". Who are the naysayers? Those who exercise their right to hold out for a physical product? No one can stop anyone from choosing to/not to purchase the work in the fashion in which it is being offered.
And, by "support the concert" may I assume that you mean Diana's? [[although I hope that you really mean support any [[former Motown) Supreme in performance.

My apologies Carole; poorly written by me; I shouldn't do that at work.

The naysayers was a reference to Marv and his cohort or two that crap all over Diana and Lynda and sometimes Scherrie and Susaye.

And by all means, we should support all concerts by all Supremes and as much as possible support whatever is released.

I'm thinking I will burn Funny Girl, print the booklet and make my CD; yes, it won't be the same, but I'll still support it.

Bokiluis
03-28-2014, 12:09 AM
Thanks for reply, but I am not sure what you are saying about iTunes. Are you indicating that previous Diana albums that are available on iTunes have booklets that I can see?
No, I'm simply stating almost any physical album that was released on Diana/The Supremes is now available as a digital download on iTunes [[including the many different compilations).
digital booklets are usually available on new releases NOT catalog releases. If the physical album never had a booklet, of course, one is not made for the digital version. My general point is most of the Motown albums have been digitized.
unfortunately, since Diana controls the rights to the RCA era albums, she has not given permission for those to be released in the states. However, the EMI versions are available in most of the other iTune stores in other countries except, mysteriously "Ross '83". That album has not been digitized anywhere. Are you clear now?

Bokiluis
03-28-2014, 12:18 AM
Why don't you buy one of your favorite albums that have a digital booklet and see if you like it. You can always create subfiles and store them there. The tactical experience is pretty much null and void since we are living in a digital world. A lot of people have not gotten use to storing their photos online and no longer have them developed. It's all apart of the new world order of digitized collecting.

longtimefan
03-28-2014, 04:40 AM
Thank you, Bokiluis!

smark21
03-28-2014, 07:58 AM
In years past I remember reading how some of you complain about why it took so long for HIP-O to ship and deliver your orders. With download, you can get the music immediately, burn it to a CD [[only takes a couple of minutes max) and you have a digital booklet to peruse as well. I've no interest in buying the album, but if I did, I would have no problems with a download only project. I've bought other albums that way. And to give credit where it's due, the tracks I have heard from Funny Girl Diana Ross was in excellent voice for those sessions. Just too bad that something more creative wasn't conceptualized to take advantage of her flowering vocals of that era.

smark21
03-28-2014, 08:03 AM
You may be right. I didn't verify it before I wrote it. Maybe the better thing to say is the soulful wrenching performance was even more powerful when you heard of his tragic ending.
honestly, as a fan of the "Funny Girl" album....all I know is I loved the album and I also own nearly all of Streisand's albums. You already stated your NOT a fan, so it wasn't made for you as Snoop Dogg often says. So I really only care what I think at the end of the day. You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

But I think Diana competed quite well with Streisand. A few years later you would see just how much Diana emulated/admired Streisand. It was often said that is what part of her career was pattern after. For me, my opinion only, Diana could do Streisand but Streisand struggled doing Motown material. But there was room for both in my listening.

And I don't belong to the criticizing of Mr. Gordy Club. Without his vision, my musical life would be quite barren. So I don't spend time in the negative. I am a hardcore Motown fan and I would be remissed in not giving credit where credit is due. Some of the most important music men [[Clive Davis, David Geffen, etc.) were also very determined visionaries. I deeply admire the man. I feel blessed that I had the opportunity to tell him personally what he has meant to my life,
Paul actually transitioned in 1973 so it was even longer than that. My point was the man revealed a deep, dark emotional performance that nearly stole the show.

By "transition" you mean died, right? Transition is such a silly term. Transition to what...food for worms and other species that exist 6 feet under?

ejluther
03-28-2014, 08:12 AM
Was that really a necessary comment, smark21? Someone writes eloquently and passionately about music we all love and that's what you choose to comment on? Can't we encourage more posts like Bokiluis' instead of mocking them?

kenneth
03-28-2014, 10:52 AM
Was that really a necessary comment, smark21? Someone writes eloquently and passionately about music we all love and that's what you choose to comment on? Can't we encourage more posts like Bokiluis' instead of mocking them?

That is often the way that poster responds.

marybrewster
03-28-2014, 11:18 AM
Are we passing the collection plate to all go in together to download one copy?

jobeterob
03-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Luckily, I don't have to consider buying the Barbra Streisand CD. I like 2 Streisand songs, The Way We Were and All in Love is Fair; and I don't know any others; oh right, the Donna Summer Song I live too, Enough is Enough.

I'm not sure I will like the Ross Funny Girl album much or play but then I only played a part of the Copa once and filed it!

longtimefan
03-28-2014, 08:51 PM
Did I miss something? Even though this is a download release, is it an expanded edition or just the 10 original tracks?

carole cucumber
03-28-2014, 09:48 PM
Did I miss something? Even though this is a download release, is it an expanded edition or just the 10 original tracks?

That has not yet been revealed. Andy Skurow is not allowed to publicly say much about it until he gets the green light to make an official announcement.

daviddh
03-28-2014, 11:39 PM
I know they just accidently revealed that Funny Girl will be out next month. me thinks there are bonus tracks but I am not positive .glad we [[hipo) seems to be up and running again.

djessie
03-29-2014, 09:45 AM

Even if it is expanded I still wouldn't buy it as a download.

Bokiluis
03-29-2014, 10:32 AM
If they recorded from the original cast album, it could possibly be expanded to include:
"I Want to Be Seen With You Tonight"
"Henry Street"
"Rat-a-Tat-Tat"
"Who Are You Now"
Or from the soundtrack:
"I'd Rather Be Blue"
"The Swan"
Or the wonderful:
"I'm the Greatest Star Medley" [[from the Diana Ross and The Supremes "Anthology")
But since many of the songs that Fanny Brice sang were from the Great American Songbook, Motown/Universal has a number of choices.

If memory serves me right though, the album was recorded over the weekend, in 3 days or no more than a week in New York and possibly sweetened in Los Angeles....so time was rather limited IF they stay true to the actual release.

JohnnyB
03-29-2014, 07:57 PM
If they recorded from the original cast album, it could possibly be expanded to include:
"I Want to Be Seen With You Tonight"
"Henry Street"
"Rat-a-Tat-Tat"
"Who Are You Now"
Or from the soundtrack:
"I'd Rather Be Blue"
"The Swan"
Or the wonderful:
"I'm the Greatest Star Medley" [[from the Diana Ross and The Supremes "Anthology")
But since many of the songs that Fanny Brice sang were from the Great American Songbook, Motown/Universal has a number of choices.

If memory serves me right though, the album was recorded over the weekend, in 3 days or no more than a week in New York and possibly sweetened in Los Angeles....so time was rather limited IF they stay true to the actual release.

Purely speculation [[and dreaming), but wouldn't the inclusion of the DRATS Sing and Perform Disney Classics album be the ultimate "extra" for this project? I know this is a bit far-fetched, but the full To The Baby album was added to the Touch Me In The Morning expanded project. Dreaming...

Lulu
03-29-2014, 09:35 PM
Luckily, I don't have to consider buying the Barbra Streisand CD. I like 2 Streisand songs, The Way We Were and All in Love is Fair; and I don't know any others; oh right, the Donna Summer Song I live too, Enough is Enough.

I'm not sure I will like the Ross Funny Girl album much or play but then I only played a part of the Copa once and filed it!

Hellloooooo gorgeous!

You sir are missing out! I can compile a list of "primo" Babs recordings for you if you so desire!!! ;)

kenneth
03-29-2014, 10:35 PM
Purely speculation [[and dreaming), but wouldn't the inclusion of the DRATS Sing and Perform Disney Classics album be the ultimate "extra" for this project? I know this is a bit far-fetched, but the full To The Baby album was added to the Touch Me In The Morning expanded project. Dreaming...

I agree. That would be a great pairing. I haven't been wild about the Disney songs that I've heard released over the years, but of course, being a collector, I would have to have it...

Bokiluis
03-30-2014, 01:40 AM
I agree. That would be a great pairing. I haven't been wild about the Disney songs that I've heard released over the years, but of course, being a collector, I would have to have it...

Ditto here on both points. The anticipation builds. Since the Universal team does follow this forum, this dialogue is good to have.

i had to buy multiple copies of "Touch Me in the Morning Expanded Edition" because "To the Baby" blows me away. Her rendition of "Got to be There" is as youthful and sparkling as Michael's. Unless, they haven't updated the Hip-O site, I am a little surprised that one hasn't soldout. I see it is still available at Amazon for a much more attractive $15.92. I wonder if they have had additional runs of some without telling us.

Buttered Popcorn and so forth
03-30-2014, 01:59 AM
I would rather have a physical CD. I already collected the few CDs that were released throughout the years just because they had one of the Funny Girl songs on them.

But if this is the only way they're coming out, I will definitely download them.

marybrewster
04-02-2014, 08:45 AM
Even if it is expanded I still wouldn't buy it as a download.

I'm with you, djessie. There are plenty of sites on the internet where I can buy a high quality CDR of this release. And trust me, the fans will be sharing this like crazy.

Bokiluis
04-02-2014, 09:24 AM
I still buy CDs because I feel they still sound best. [[Just finally bought Marvin Gaye "At the Copa"). Because unless you convert Mp3s into the Lossless format, which takes up more storage space, you can never be sure how they sound on your home stereo speakers. But I honestly cannot remember the last time I played a CD.

I buy the CD, rip it into my digital music library, store the CD away and listen to my iPod.

RossHolloway
04-02-2014, 09:30 AM
I still buy CDs because I feel they still sound best. [[Just finally bought Marvin Gaye "At the Copa"). Because unless you convert Mp3s into the Lossless format, which takes up more storage space, you can never be sure how they sound on your home stereo speakers. But I honestly cannot remember the last time I played a CD.

I buy the CD, rip it into my digital music library, store the CD away and listen to my iPod.

I do the exact same thing. I rarely play physical cds.

supremester
04-04-2014, 03:35 AM
Hey JBFJ!

What a great idea! Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl and Disney Classics - The Expanded Edition with added tracks:

Henry Street
Rat-A-Tat-Tat*
Who are You Now
I'd Rather Be Blue
When I See An Elephant Fly
Baby Mine
Pink Elephants On Parade
One Love [[solo Mary Wilson)
Feed The Birds
He's A Tramp
My, What A Lovely Day!

* Love to hear Miss Ross nail:

I'm Private Schvartz from Rock-a-vay,
And I guess you hoird reports
That the Kaiser runs a block a-vay
Vhen da tell him, "Here comes Schvartz!"
'Cause ven I get mad, believe it, Jack,
Out from nowhere comes a maniac,
A kick in the foot,
A shot in the pants--
I vouldn't give a second chance.
Schvartz from Rock-a-way.
Chorus:
Private Schwartz
Private Schwartz
Private Schwartz from Rock-a-way.
Fanny:
I met Mademoiselle from Armentieres
And my bagels gave a spin [[oy, yoy),
She said, "Private Schvartz,
Come closer, dear!"
Vhat a tzimmis I got in!
Ven you're fighting for democracy,
Call on Irving Schvartz and company,
I'm through and through
Red, white and bluish,
I talk this way
Because I'm British.
Tell Far Rock-a-way, "Don't pull the dock a-vay,
'Cause sailing home is General Schvartz!"

nathanj06
04-04-2014, 11:41 AM
When things went quiet at Hip-O I had emailed Harry regarding this possible CD and A Go Go. Nothing. Before that I had always gotten a response including from Andrew and George. I could even tell how passionate they were about these projects. Then everything stops, whatever the reasons. Very disappointing. Regarding Funny Girl as a download...no thanks.

kenneth
04-04-2014, 12:28 PM
It seems evident that none of these releases aimed at collectors is going to be a million seller, but I guess compared to a physical product, a download offering is nearly a cash cow, even if the returns are modest. That's disappointing for a company like Hip-O to head in that direction, but I'm sure the gentlemen we know from the forum have little or nothing to say about that to the powers that be. I suppose to Universal selling 1,000, copies via download is just as good as [[eventually) selling 5,000, copies on a CD, because they have to invest so little in the digital offering and therefore have little or nothing to lose.

There will be a market for CDs for a long time to come. I mean, just look at how much vinyl is still being released. Many independent artists, and even many mainstream acts such as Justin Timberlake, Cher and others still release their albums on vinyl, though in quite limited quantities. I even belong to a record club - yes, a record club, as in vinyl - which releases an album a month from an up and coming independent band. The gimmick they use for marketing these releases is that everything is released on colored vinyl. The company that sells these is called Feedbands. It's fun to get the releases every month.

I wouldn't buy the "Funny Girl" unless it's a CD. I did buy the Workshop Jazz collections via download as that material is rare and was never released before. But I have the "Funny Girl" LP and have the capability to make an audiocassette or CD copy of it, so I would pass on the download of anything unless it's something very rare that I can't get any other way.

04-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Are we to assume that the Supremes release will be released the same day as the 50th Anniversary version with Barbara Streisand?

antceleb12
04-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Are we to assume that the Supremes release will be released the same day as the 50th Anniversary version with Barbara Streisand?

I'm assuming no release period. Even a mere announcement about a release has been delayed for months. The only reason why we know it's "Funny Girl" is because of J. Randy Taraborelli, and even so, we don't have a tentative release date. Universal needs to get it together.

04-08-2014, 04:56 PM
I'm assuming no release period. Even a mere announcement about a release has been delayed for months. The only reason why we know it's "Funny Girl" is because of J. Randy Taraborelli, and even so, we don't have a tentative release date. Universal needs to get it together.

I agree and it sort of baffles me and it is irritating because Andy or Harry has said, that Motown/Universal is pushing for some digital releases including "Sing and Perform Funny Girl". We already have had many delays in the physical release department in the past and now there seems to be a delay in releasing adigital only release? As far as an announcement there should have been one by now or at least a track list. I do believe it is coming but there should not be any excuses for a delay when it comes to a digital only release.

thanxal
04-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Could all the delays be related to the reorganization of the label? Probably out of everyone's control...

RossHolloway
04-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Could all the delays be related to the reorganization of the label? Probably out of everyone's control...

I think you hit the nail on the head with this.

jobeterob
04-08-2014, 06:48 PM
If these releases mattered, the reorganization would be seamless and the release schedule wouldn't be ignored.

Beyond George and Andy and Harry, these guys probably don't know that Barbra Streisand sang Funny Girl let alone Diana Ross.

04-20-2014, 10:52 PM
Supremes Expanded Edition Facebook page says official announcement coming this week.

marybrewster
04-20-2014, 11:51 PM
Supremes Expanded Edition Facebook page says official announcement coming this week.

With no offense, don't we all already know it's coming? And since it seems as though it will be digital only, there's no real "rush" to purchase.

My disappointment with this has actually given me the chance to focus on other companies and other artists. There is a buffet of physical releases out there; I'm putting on my eatin' dress.

longtimefan
04-21-2014, 12:18 AM
Is this Facebook page an arm of the music company or run by a fan who will be publicizing this on his own? Where are Motown upcoming and new releases "officially" announced and listed?

vgalindo
04-21-2014, 01:00 AM
With no offense, don't we all already know it's coming? And since it seems as though it will be digital only, there's no real "rush" to purchase.

My disappointment with this has actually given me the chance to focus on other companies and other artists. There is a buffet of physical releases out there; I'm putting on my eatin' dress.

I do agree with you Marybrewster. Since it isn't going to be a cd release I just can't get excited about it. I was thrilled when Randy said CD. But now I feel really disappointed.

Jimi LaLumia
04-21-2014, 05:15 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JSKI8EI/ref=sr_1_1_rd?ie=UTF8&child=B00JSKI906&qid=1398071761&sr=1-1%3C/a%3E

ejluther
04-21-2014, 07:04 AM
Look at those bonus tracks and 2014 mixes! And a undoubtedly superb digital booklet, too? I am very excited! Thanks for the link, Jimi...

longtimefan
04-21-2014, 08:42 AM
A remix of every song on the album? I don't get it!
Isn't that basically sharpening up the sound for tracks that are 40 years old?

RossHolloway
04-21-2014, 09:04 AM
I'm The Greatest Star was cut from TCB?? That's really interesting.

antceleb12
04-21-2014, 09:37 AM
The bonus tracks are highly disappointing...I guess we are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

kenneth
04-21-2014, 11:58 AM
The bonus tracks are highly disappointing...I guess we are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I'd say so...the original LP and then basically a remix of every song on it plus a live track. I won't be buying this one unless it eventually comes out on a physical CD.

RossHolloway
04-21-2014, 12:07 PM
while this is not my favorite Supreme's album, I will definitely be purchasing this. I'm not sure what people were expecting with this release. I hope fans do support this release.

antceleb12
04-21-2014, 12:27 PM
while this is not my favorite Supreme's album, I will definitely be purchasing this. I'm not sure what people were expecting with this release. I hope fans do support this release.

I know I was expecting outtakes, at the very least. Or, as in previous cases, additional unreleased material [[such as the Disney tracks). Not "remixes" or live versions of the same tracks.

marybrewster
04-21-2014, 12:41 PM

For starters, I think we were expecting a physical CD. Have I beaten that horse dead yet, LOL.

I thought I recall hearing that this concept LP was very much a "rush" job. I can't imagine there were a lot of outtakes from these sessions, but I could be wrong.

In my perfect world, I wish they would have skipped the remixes and gone with just a straight release. Perphaps then it would have made it on disc. This is never to knock Andy or George or Kevin's hard work. They clearly put a lot of love into their expanded editions.

marybrewster
04-21-2014, 12:42 PM
I'd say so...the original LP and then basically a remix of every song on it plus a live track. I won't be buying this one unless it eventually comes out on a physical CD.

I'm with you; I'll be skipping this one. Disappointing as it may be.

djessie
04-21-2014, 12:48 PM
A CD = I would be pre-ordering as we speak. A download = no sale!

supremester
04-21-2014, 01:44 PM
If you look on the inside of TCB album, that sequence of pics in the Always gowns, is from I'm The Greatest Star. I think they also did a second hits medley and a few other songs. Ditto The Tempts. Also, Mas Que Nada with Mary, Cindy, Otis & Eddie was prepared and was the one song Mary carped about being cut. Often TV specials shoot way more than they will use and then edit it down into the best hour. TCB could not have been better.

I'm The Greatest Star was cut from TCB?? That's really interesting.

bradsupremes
04-21-2014, 02:04 PM
From Andy Skurow's Facebook page...

The new booklet contains nearly 40 incredible photos. Most never-before-seen!

The original album had a chorus of background singers. Berry Gordy loved it, Jule Styne hated it. Mr. Styne tells the story in the booklet. For the bonus track versions, we have removed the chorus, which in most places was used in lieu of Mary and Cindy. Except for only three key moments, on the 2014 remixes, you will now hear only Diana, Mary and Cindy on the entire album for the first time ever!

supremester
04-21-2014, 02:09 PM
That's worth it right there. I'm on board. Thanks. What is the date?

RossHolloway
04-21-2014, 02:18 PM

The original album had a chorus of background singers. Berry Gordy loved it, Jule Styne hated it. Mr. Styne tells the story in the booklet. For the bonus track versions, we have removed the chorus, which in most places was used in lieu of Mary and Cindy. Except for only three key moments, on the 2014 remixes, you will now hear only Diana, Mary and Cindy on the entire album for the first time ever!

That is interesting news, I can't wait to hear the remixes now.

Lulu
04-21-2014, 02:18 PM
That's worth it right there. I'm on board. Thanks. What is the date?

I agree. If you're a hardcore completist Supremes fan, you may want this. If you're a Diana Ross completist fan, you definitely want this. Yes, many of us have it on vinyl and yes, we've ripped it to mp3, etc. etc. etc. and yes, it would look divine on our shelves with the other Expanded Editions. At least we're getting it remastered AT ALL and I suspect we'll see more physical CDs for the bigger sellers [['A Go-Go, HDH, Reflections) and probably digital only for items such as this, Liverpool, CWP, etc.

supremester
04-21-2014, 02:46 PM
I'm psyched that we will be hearing Jule Styne's vision with only DMC. I'm fine using The A's on pop records and, definitely, singles, but for this type of sound, I think DMC would have a better feel. Mary's rich voice would bring identity and depth to the bg - making it sound less generic. And, since he wrote the music, Styne's version should be given a spin. It also gives us insight to how BG saw/heard the group. Can't wait!

floyjoy678
04-21-2014, 02:59 PM
Not my first choice either but I will be purchasing this just because I hope it will eventually lead to my 2nd favorite Supremes album, Sing HDH, into getting the special treatment.

antceleb12
04-21-2014, 03:19 PM

Now THAT is interesting...might have to buy this now!

westgrandboulevard
04-21-2014, 03:23 PM
I've always assumed it is Mary's voice on that solo "star!!!!" note around 3.45 on "I'm The Greatest Star", but am still not absolutely sure - especially if there was 'a chorus of background singers' available...:)

Lulu
04-21-2014, 03:25 PM
I've always assumed it is Mary's voice on that solo "star!!!!" note around 3.45 on "I'm The Greatest Star", but am still not absolutely sure - especially if there was 'a chorus of background singers' available...:)

Don't shout that assumption too loud from the treetops or we'll have another thread devoted to that particular "star". Maybe someone could do a mashup of Mary saying and singing "star" on every song recording, television and talk show appearance and live concert!

supremester
04-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Too late! It sounds "like" Mary, but I don't think it is, I'm not as good as many on here detecting voices.

lakedistrictlad1
04-21-2014, 04:07 PM
I need to add my vote to the non buyers of mp3 download. I cannot begin to describe how utterly disappointed I am that this isn't a physical cd. I've waited years for this. And now it appears as compressed 320. With cds still outselling digital downloads surely there's still a market for minimum run cds. I hope this isn't the future.

jobeterob
04-21-2014, 04:15 PM
This is starting to make this interesting and worth having and worth listening to ~ taking out whoever the chorus was [[Andantes?? others?) and replacing them with Supremes for the background.

Who was it that kept saying it was Mary & Cindy on this album? Do they want to make an admission now?

supremester
04-21-2014, 04:16 PM
I think the cost of doing it well, classy and with a 40 page booklet is why they opted not to do a CD. I'm disappointed as well, but it's not like those cheap 9.99 Touch me In The Morning Cds someone was doing. This would have needed to be a 19.99 release and I think they got scared. I bought my Supremes in The Japan cd years after it came out and got #758. Fringe product that costs a lot may be a thing of the past. If Funny Girl does well, I think it would help our cause. Lots of people don't care about a physical CD, mostly us oldies but goodies.

Jimi LaLumia
04-21-2014, 04:27 PM
oh, my......seems I opened a can of beans this morning, eh?... [[yes, I'm buying it!)..

carlo
04-21-2014, 04:43 PM
Will this be available internationally on iTunes/Amazon? Or just Amazon U.S.?

longtimefan
04-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Can someone explain to me how a downloadable booklet with forty pictures works? I know how to download and print, naturally. What kind of resolution will all of these small pictures have? Do we cut out pages and staple them together? Do we use matte paper that affects quality? If we use glossy paper, the "booklet" would be rather thick. Is printing front to back needed? This all sounds kind of "messy" to me.

vgalindo
04-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Can someone explain to me how a downloadable booklet with forty pictures works? I know how to download and print, naturally. What kind of resolution will all of these small pictures have? Do we cut out pages and staple them together? Do we use matte paper that affects quality? If we use glossy paper, the "booklet" would be rather thick. Is printing front to back needed? This all sounds kind of "messy" to me.
It sure does. What do you get a stack of picture papers? I just can't get excited about this.

vgalindo
04-21-2014, 05:10 PM
A CD = I would be pre-ordering as we speak. A download = no sale!
So true. I care less to have a download.

thanxal
04-21-2014, 07:34 PM
I've avoided this debate thus far since the media format of music is a personal taste, but let's inject a little reality here. First, this music is not becoming more popular. The "kids today" don't rock out to the Supremes. I know, I know, they should, but sadly, they don't. And they drive music sales. CDs are expensive propositions, even for popular artists. Digital downloads cut the cost of production to music companies who are serving an ever shrinking fan base. Second, digital downloads can approach the same sound quality as CDs. Therefore, from a technical point of view, there is no difference. Ever since music switched from vinyl, the physical media has become less and less important. As such, if companies can cut costs in this area, why wouldn't they. Like it or not CDs and DVDs, like vinyl before them are becoming obsolete. Finally, it is quite straightforward these days to quickly burn a CD to use in ones antiquated car sound system. New cars sync automatically with your phone, even eliminating this need. I have a vinyl collection immediately to the right of this keyboard. It contains some of the rarest and best jazz and Motown classics. On the back wall is a rack of about the same number of CDs. Some of the early Motown pressings from the 90s are equally rare. Guess what powers my sound system most days? My iPod Classic. Why? Playlists. I can sit and play and play and play to 160gb worth of space and never have to physically change a disc. I do like doing that with the vinyl and CDs but I am an odd duck. Most kids my children's ages are perfectly happy to have their single experience with music come through an iPod or iPhone. Granted, its not what I grew up with or prefer, but it is the way things are. I'd rather download "Funny Girl" than not have it at all. That's why as soon as my download is complete, it will be played, on my hi-fi seven speaker sound system...from my iPod. We're lucky to get any classic releases so I'll take them any way I can get them. Thanks Andy. Thanks George.

skooldem1
04-21-2014, 08:08 PM
Why oh why can't they release this on eight track? All kidding aside. I can't believe all the fans that have wanted this music, talking about it for years. You finally have a chance to own it and now no one wants it because it is not on a physical CD? Times are a changing. The powers that be found a way to release this for the "die hard" Supreme fans, and it is being boycotted. Not saying that you should just accept anything, but you must realize that this was the least selling release by the Supremes [[I think). I think for fans of this set, you are lucky they found a way to release it.

ejluther
04-21-2014, 08:16 PM
A digital booklet is a PDF file that is laid out just like a physical booklet with sequential pages and full formatting.

Jimi LaLumia
04-21-2014, 08:26 PM
you can always store and look at the pages on line..and since many of the limited pressing expanded editions STILL never sold out [[remember everyone here, "oh, I'm NOT buying 'Copa', I'm not buying 'Symphony', so your diva fits led to dead inventory, then guess what?...no NEW inventory.. and it's thanks to all the drama queens , so get over it..it's a business..if they don't see the dollars, then you don't see any more product..plain and simple..)

ejluther
04-21-2014, 08:40 PM
I happily bought them all and I'm happily buying this one because I love the music. Will I miss having a physical CD in the beautiful deluxe packaging? Sure. Hell, I still miss physical vinyl! But I would never miss out on the remastered music - that's what it's all about after all. As for the quality of the release [[sound and otherwise), George/Andy and their team have not disappointed yet so I have no reason to think they'll start doing so now...thanks for all the obvious love, hard work and persistence, gentlemen - it's much appreciated!

smark21
04-21-2014, 08:51 PM
How about 78s?

I'm not buying the album as I don't care for the music from Funny Girl. But I do find the issuing of versions with just DMC on vocals noteworthy. Perhaps the same could be done for the Webb album--erase the extra voices of the Supreme Tabernacle Choir and just have Jean, Mary and Lynda on the songs? That I would buy and if it could be done, it would be a worthy digital only project.

antceleb12
04-21-2014, 08:59 PM

It comes in .PDF form and very high resolution. Digital booklets come in the form of liner notes.

antceleb12
04-21-2014, 09:01 PM
Why oh why can't they release this on eight track? All kidding aside. I can't believe all the fans that have wanted this music, talking about it for years. You finally have a chance to own it and now no one wants it because it is not on a physical CD? Times are a changing. The powers that be found a way to release this for the "die hard" Supreme fans, and it is being boycotted. Not saying that you should just accept anything, but you must realize that this was the least selling release by the Supremes [[I think). I think for fans of this set, you are lucky they found a way to release it.

That's what I'm saying. Boycotting this release isn't going to make them release it on CD. I like CD sound better, too, but having something is better than nothing!

Lulu
04-21-2014, 09:01 PM
I've avoided this debate thus far since the media format of music is a personal taste, but let's inject a little reality here. First, this music is not becoming more popular. The "kids today" don't rock out to the Supremes. I know, I know, they should, but sadly, they don't. And they drive music sales. CDs are expensive propositions, even for popular artists. Digital downloads cut the cost of production to music companies who are serving an ever shrinking fan base. Second, digital downloads can approach the same sound quality as CDs. Therefore, from a technical point of view, there is no difference. Ever since music switched from vinyl, the physical media has become less and less important. As such, if companies can cut costs in this area, why wouldn't they. Like it or not CDs and DVDs, like vinyl before them are becoming obsolete. Finally, it is quite straightforward these days to quickly burn a CD to use in ones antiquated car sound system. New cars sync automatically with your phone, even eliminating this need. I have a vinyl collection immediately to the right of this keyboard. It contains some of the rarest and best jazz and Motown classics. On the back wall is a rack of about the same number of CDs. Some of the early Motown pressings from the 90s are equally rare. Guess what powers my sound system most days? My iPod Classic. Why? Playlists. I can sit and play and play and play to 160gb worth of space and never have to physically change a disc. I do like doing that with the vinyl and CDs but I am an odd duck. Most kids my children's ages are perfectly happy to have their single experience with music come through an iPod or iPhone. Granted, its not what I grew up with or prefer, but it is the way things are. I'd rather download "Funny Girl" than not have it at all. That's why as soon as my download is complete, it will be played, on my hi-fi seven speaker sound system...from my iPod. We're lucky to get any classic releases so I'll take them any way I can get them. Thanks Andy. Thanks George.

Thanks for this very thoughtful post. I feel the same. The amount of "TLC" that goes into these releases is so evident and everyone from Andy and George to Mary have provided us all with a unique capsule into these beloved recordings. This was, as we all know THE WORST selling album in DRATS history [[and maybe even Diana Ross's whole career!) so just to have it remastered is a blessing! I can't wait to dish with you guys next Tuesday!!!

longtimefan
04-21-2014, 09:41 PM
It comes in .PDF form and very high resolution. Digital booklets come in the form of liner notes.

I understand that it is a PDF with high resolution from your feedback. Thanks. That said, after you print them out, I assume you just assemble and staple them in some way, but there is no need to print front to back? Just regular paper?

Also, I am unclear what "in the form of liner notes" means.

Thanks for your help.

jeff9nyc
04-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Unfortunately, as much as I love the expanded editions and rereleases, I will not be purchasing any of the MP3 only releases. MP3 don't have the same audio range or durability as a physical product. Just doesn't do it for me. A big disappointment - especially when it is so inexpensive to run a few thousand copies off. Andy, George, and crew...this doesn't do your hard work justice. You deserve better

marybrewster
04-21-2014, 10:09 PM
I think the cost of doing it well, classy and with a 40 page booklet is why they opted not to do a CD. I'm disappointed as well, but it's not like those cheap 9.99 Touch me In The Morning Cds someone was doing. This would have needed to be a 19.99 release and I think they got scared. I bought my Supremes in The Japan cd years after it came out and got #758. Fringe product that costs a lot may be a thing of the past. If Funny Girl does well, I think it would help our cause. Lots of people don't care about a physical CD, mostly us oldies but goodies.

I believe the booklet has 40 pictures; it's not 40 pages.

antceleb12
04-21-2014, 10:11 PM
I understand that it is a PDF with high resolution from your feedback. Thanks. That said, after you print them out, I assume you just assemble and staple them in some way, but there is no need to print front to back? Just regular paper?

Also, I am unclear what "in the form of liner notes" means.

Thanks for your help.

It is my assumption that many people don't print them out. However, iTunes used to [[I don't know if they still do) have an option to print them out in the form of liner notes.

And what I mean by that is that the pages resemble the square pages found in liner notes. If you print them out, there would be two pages per piece of paper, and you would cut each out, fold along the middle, and assemble a booklet.

antceleb12
04-21-2014, 10:13 PM
Unfortunately, as much as I love the expanded editions and rereleases, I will not be purchasing any of the MP3 only releases. MP3 don't have the same audio range or durability as a physical product. Just doesn't do it for me. A big disappointment - especially when it is so inexpensive to run a few thousand copies off. Andy, George, and crew...this doesn't do your hard work justice. You deserve better

You have to take the cost of production versus the profits of products sold into account. Considering they're releasing the worst selling Supremes record to a public with a dwindling Supremes fan base, they are probably running under the logical assumption that profits aren't going to match production costs.

carole cucumber
04-21-2014, 10:27 PM

[QUOTE=smark21;223778] But I do find the issuing of versions with just DMC on vocals noteworthy. Perhaps the same could be done for the Webb album--erase the extra voices of the Supreme Tabernacle Choir and just have Jean, Mary and Lynda on the songs? That I would buy and if it could be done, it would be a worthy digital only project.

Following along on this revelation, many other songs in the Motown/Jobete catalogue could be offered in similar fashion : DMF only/Andanteless "In and Out Of Love"; DMC only "Up the Ladder To the Roof", JMC only "Nathan Jones" , CBMN only "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" or A CAS only version of the same track, several Andanteless Four Tops tracks, etc, etc, etc.

marybrewster
04-21-2014, 10:30 PM
Just for the record, I am not "boycotting" this release. Just as I have the option to shop at Wal-Mart or Target, I have the option to buy it or not. And also, just for the record, I have supported EVERY OTHER release. Even BEYOND the Supremes catalog. So please don't try and guilt me by saying that if I don't support this release, we won't get any more. That's bull*hit. The fact is that fans have been asking for this release for years. I'm not one to assume, but one might think this has been the most requested release from the Supremes catalog, if only because it's NEVER been available on physical CD. Furthermore, all of the hard work is already done. It's been remastered; remixed. The boys have completed a lush booklet; how much does it REALLY cost a company like Universal to whip up a 1000 copies? If Martha Reeves can release "Home to You" and Mary Wilson can release "Up Close", certainly Universal can release "Funny Girl".

The fact of the matter is: these releases do not sell because there is NO PROMOTION. This is being released next week. So far the only word I've seen is on Andy's Facebook, the Expanded Facebook and here on SDF. Not a PEEP from Universal, who have the ability to post on Facebook, Twitter, and the various websites they own. So it's not that we're not buying them, it's that NO ONE KNOWS THEY ARE BEING RELEASED.

antceleb12
04-21-2014, 10:32 PM
Another question: Will these tracks - other than editing the vocals - be released as was? For example, we know that "People" was shortened, since we got the full-length version on the L&F set a few years back. Are they going to be released sans cuts, or with original cutting?

antceleb12
04-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Just for the record, I am not "boycotting" this release. Just as I have the option to shop at Wal-Mart or Target, I have the option to buy it or not. And also, just for the record, I have supported EVERY OTHER release. Even BEYOND the Supremes catalog. So please don't try and guilt me by saying that if I don't support this release, we won't get any more. That's bull*hit. The fact is that fans have been asking for this release for years. I'm not one to assume, but one might think this has been the most requested release from the Supremes catalog, if only because it's NEVER been available on physical CD. Furthermore, all of the hard work is already done. It's been remastered; remixed. The boys have completed a lush booklet; how much does it REALLY cost a company like Universal to whip up a 1000 copies? If Martha Reeves can release "Home to You" and Mary Wilson can release "Up Close", certainly Universal can release "Funny Girl".

The fact of the matter is: these releases do not sell because there is NO PROMOTION. This is being released next week. So far the only word I've seen is on Andy's Facebook, the Expanded Facebook and here on SDF. Not a PEEP from Universal, who have the ability to post on Facebook, Twitter, and the various websites they own. So it's not that we're not buying them, it's that NO ONE KNOWS THEY ARE BEING RELEASED.

Mary, yes, promotion is one thing, but let's face it: even with promotion, I have a feeling sales would be a dud. Sure, us fans would be on it like white on rice, but casual fans and the general public would not. Let's face it. Getting them to release this album, of all things, in any format is a blessing. Why should they bother putting money and promotion into an album that A) bombed when it first came out, and B) is obscure outside of the Supreme/Motown fanbase? Universal is not alone here. When profits don't seem high, it's not going high on their to-do list. That's the unfortunate reality of it all. Unfortunately, I don't know how well the product would do even with promotion.

marybrewster
04-21-2014, 10:54 PM
But can't an argument be made for how many times and in how many formats "Meet the Supremes" been released? That has to rank right up there in the "dud" category.

longtimefan
04-21-2014, 11:46 PM
And how does this all relate to BABY IT'S ME? Talk/promotion about that release has vanished!

vgalindo
04-22-2014, 12:51 AM
And how does this all relate to BABY IT'S ME? Talk/promotion about that release has vanished!

So true. Baby it's me was said to be a double cd. Then we heard it was going to be a single cd. Now we hear nothing.

vgalindo
04-22-2014, 01:05 AM

I am with you on this all the way. You can't tell me there isn't a 1000 Diana Ross and the Supremes fans that wouldn't buy this on CD. Everyone keeps saying this is the future all kids do downloads. Well we aren't kids and most Supremes fans still buy their Cds. So who are they targeting? Are you guys saying that just because this is a digital release kids will now download it?

antceleb12
04-22-2014, 07:38 AM
Are you guys saying that just because this is a digital release kids will now download it?

No, I'm saying that it's cheaper. And kids aren't the only ones switching to digital...

antceleb12
04-22-2014, 07:42 AM
But can't an argument be made for how many times and in how many formats "Meet the Supremes" been released? That has to rank right up there in the "dud" category.

I suppose, but MTS became much more desirable over the years, considering all of the abandoned tracks and alternates still floating around. I think my point is that Universal might not be able to acutely justify the expense of producing Supremes CD's anymore. We should also take into consideration how well they might have sold in the past, maybe that's part of the reason to go digital-only? Not sure.

nathanj06
04-22-2014, 08:55 AM
What happened to the idea of a concept box set? Only four albums maybe done like the Beatles US albums with original artwork in a slip cover. Liverpool, Country Western & Pop, Sam Cooke and Funny Girl. That would have made more sense and at least gotten them out there then proceed with the rest. I have seen hundreds of CDs on amazon for example, that I would have never expected to see. If they can release all of Patty Duke's albums on CD they can certainly do these. Historically speaking, a download only of this is an insult to those of us who want the physical format and also to the Supremes catalog. It's all about money and Universal certainly can afford a limited edition of these wonderful albums together. Download? No thanks.

ejluther
04-22-2014, 09:02 AM
Will all the people who refuse to buy it also refuse to listen to and/or share/pirate it? Something tells me outrage and principle will only go far. And if you will share/pirate it, how will you justify that? "They didn't give me what I wanted the way I wanted it so I'm just going to take it and not pay for it instead"? Just curious...

MP3 don't have the same audio range or durability as a physical product
That all depends on the bit rate and compression quality and we don't know for certain Universal/Motown won't someday overhaul their entire catalog with HD-quality sound [[which kicks ass all over CDs by the way). As for durability, CDs are not the miracle product they were sold to us as - I can't count the number of CDs that have been damaged/scratched and I've even had some that have simply degraded/worn out over the years. As long as you back up your digital files to a safe place they will surely last longer than any physical product - there's nothing physical to degrade.

marybrewster
04-22-2014, 09:11 AM
"Baby It's Me" should have been the digital release. It appeals to Diana Ross fans.

"Funny Girl" appeals to Daian Ross fans, Mary Wilson fans, Supremes fans; perhaps even Streisand fans and Broadway fans. That's a lot bigger market, especially with the 50th anniversary of "FG" upon us.

marybrewster
04-22-2014, 09:19 AM
Will all the people who refuse to buy it also refuse to listen to and/or share/pirate it? Something tells me outrage and principle will only go far. And if you will share/pirate it, how will you justify that? "They didn't give me what I wanted the way I wanted it so I'm just going to take it and not pay for it instead"? Just curious...

It's already out there for sale. I've seen many CDR's over the years of "Funny Girl" available. And have never bought a one, because I just assumed that one day it eventually would get a proper release. Look where that got me.

marybrewster
04-22-2014, 09:21 AM
I GUARANTEE someone will be whipping up this set and selling as an "official" bootleg. Certainly someone is savy enough to print out the booklet and put a nice little package together.

djessie
04-22-2014, 09:26 AM
I have bought all the previous Diana/The Supremes expanded editions, all the compilations etc. Yes, I even bought "At The Copa" - I have never even played it but I was glad to get it for my collection. I am however not at all "thankful" about some digital "release" - to me, it just doesn't exist. So I won't download it for free, or share it, or whatever. I don't care one bit about that format - they might as well ask me to buy this on cassette.

As for sound quality, the MP3 format can never come close to a CD sound [[although there are other audio formats such as lossless Wav that come very close). And some digital booklet to look at on-line? All so the company can save their money, while expecting us to fork out for a massively inferior product?

I understand that this album was a not a big seller. But don't tell me that a strictly limited CD copy would not sell out. Maybe not on the first day, but in time. This business has become all about instant return on the money - which is why artists are dropped today after a couple of singles, TV shows barely get half a season etc. Today, The Supremes would have been dropped after the first album. "Dallas" and "Beverly Hills 90210" would have been off our TV screens after the first season etc.

There are several ways to release Funny Girl on CD, for example as a part of a box set. Until that happens, Funny Girl remains [[to me) unreleased, except for the original vinyl.

carole cucumber
04-22-2014, 09:36 AM
...........I think my point is that Universal might not be able to acutely justify the expense of producing Supremes CD's anymore. We should also take into consideration how well they might have sold in the past, maybe that's part of the reason to go digital-only? Not sure.

Unless things have changed, Andy Skurow announced on air that [[after the downloadable only DR&TS-S&PFG) there were [[some) Diana Ross/Supremes' projects being planned as physical releases. [[And , my feeling is, if they are offered as physical releases, we can be fairly sure that they shall appear either concurrently or at a later date as downloadable from Amazon & itunes to boot ).

jobeterob
04-22-2014, 11:13 AM
Unless things have changed, Andy Skurow announced on air that [[after the downloadable only DR&TS-S&PFG) there were [[some) Diana Ross/Supremes' projects being planned as physical releases. [[And , my feeling is, if they are offered as physical releases, we can be fairly sure that they shall appear either concurrently or at a later date as downloadable from Amazon & itunes to boot ).

Totally makes sense.

kenneth
04-22-2014, 11:52 AM
What happened to the idea of a concept box set? Only four albums maybe done like the Beatles US albums with original artwork in a slip cover. Liverpool, Country Western & Pop, Sam Cooke and Funny Girl. That would have made more sense and at least gotten them out there then proceed with the rest. I have seen hundreds of CDs on amazon for example, that I would have never expected to see. If they can release all of Patty Duke's albums on CD they can certainly do these. Historically speaking, a download only of this is an insult to those of us who want the physical format and also to the Supremes catalog. It's all about money and Universal certainly can afford a limited edition of these wonderful albums together. Download? No thanks.

That's what I've always hoped for - a concept box with the 4 LPs you mention and the Disney tracks as a bonus. These albums were all relatively short; I suppose because of the Disney you would need 3 CDs but I think it would be an awesome set. I love the Sam Cooke and Country sets...the Liverpool and Disney tracks I think are pretty pedestrian. The Funny Girl set sounds better to me now than it did back then. But this would be a great Hip-O project. I'm sure they've considered it. I hope sometime it will still happen.

ejluther
04-22-2014, 12:08 PM
Well it's very possible digital downloads will be released first followed by more deluxe physical editions in the future - that would certainly snare fans like myself who would undoubtedly buy both. Unless, of course, I knew for certain the physical releases were coming soon then I would pass on the digital downloads. But if that's not for certain they'd get me coming and going...

whitesoxx
04-22-2014, 01:01 PM
I refuse to buy a digital-only release due to the many reasons already posted by others. Once again, pressing a cd costs next to nothing even in limited quantities. If Universal would start a pre-order campaign where people could pre-order and pay in advance, much like pledgemusic or kickstarter, they would know how many cd's to press and would not be stuck with inventory.
They could set a minimum number of cd's if needed, so if the pre-order campaign does not reach, say, 1,000, they will release the cd. I find it very hard to imagine that these kinds of releases would not be able to generate the interest of 1,000 cd buyers.

In addidition, if printing the expansive booklet is an issue [[which I don't think), they could include a simple 4 page inlay with the cd and provide the full booklet as a pdf either on the CD or online. The Playlist series from Sony works that way.

Where there's a will...

djessie
04-22-2014, 01:03 PM
Excellent points. Indeed, where there's a will...

mwmr
04-22-2014, 01:13 PM
only available on amazon.com - not much use to fans outside of USA especially the huge motown uk fan base!!

And i I still think it's digital release only is rubbish !!!

daviddh
04-22-2014, 01:45 PM
why complain before we even hear it or get it, at least we are getting a release after almost 2 years

antceleb12
04-22-2014, 04:27 PM
I refuse to buy a digital-only release due to the many reasons already posted by others. Once again, pressing a cd costs next to nothing even in limited quantities. If Universal would start a pre-order campaign where people could pre-order and pay in advance, much like pledgemusic or kickstarter, they would know how many cd's to press and would not be stuck with inventory.
They could set a minimum number of cd's if needed, so if the pre-order campaign does not reach, say, 1,000, they will release the cd. I find it very hard to imagine that these kinds of releases would not be able to generate the interest of 1,000 cd buyers.

In addidition, if printing the expansive booklet is an issue [[which I don't think), they could include a simple 4 page inlay with the cd and provide the full booklet as a pdf either on the CD or online. The Playlist series from Sony works that way.

Where there's a will...

That's just it. There doesn't seem to be a will on Universal's behalf. I mean, look at all the acts Universal has. They have so many "hotter" acts, and only - let's say - 1,000 people interested is probably not enough to go through promoting, producing, and distributing a CD that will likely sell very little as compared to what's current. It's all about where the money is, and unfortunately, the money is not in the Supremes anymore. Trust me, I wish they would release it in physical format, but from a business perspective, for Universal, it probably doesn't make much sense.

mowsville
04-22-2014, 05:43 PM
lesser known acts from the 60s have their complete works released on cd so why is there this prob with Motown acts...I mean at one point here in the U.K there was a budget label called Spectrum that was releasing Motown Anthologies on the lesser known acts with a whole load of unreleased material...so if Universal isn't interested in "Motown" then let the budget labels have access and be done with it...I would have purchased it in a heart beat had "funny girl" been released through Ace or Kent...not digital

carole cucumber
04-22-2014, 07:28 PM
But .... UMe/Universal is currently holding back releases already prepared by Keith Hughes and team for the Ace label. As far as any of us know, they have not yet given approval for the release of at least 2 cd's already completed.

Lulu
04-22-2014, 08:17 PM
lesser known acts from the 60s have their complete works released on cd so why is there this prob with Motown acts...I mean at one point here in the U.K there was a budget label called Spectrum that was releasing Motown Anthologies on the lesser known acts with a whole load of unreleased material...so if Universal isn't interested in "Motown" then let the budget labels have access and be done with it...I would have purchased it in a heart beat had "funny girl" been released through Ace or Kent...not digital

My experience is that "Northern Soul" has always been a bigger deal in the UK than here. I think there's more of a market for Chris Clark or Brenda Holloway or Kim Weston over there than in the US. That's not to say there's not a market here for their releases but I think it's harder to convince the record execs here to put out that stuff vs. across the pond.

smark21
04-22-2014, 08:31 PM
For those who won't download--is it because you've not been satisfied with previous downloads? Or you don't want to move on to a new media/platform for music? Or because this is just an item you want a physical copy of due to your love of Diana Ross/The Supremes?

Roberta75
04-22-2014, 11:16 PM
For those who won't download--is it because you've not been satisfied with previous downloads? Or you don't want to move on to a new media/platform for music? Or because this is just an item you want a physical copy of due to your love of Diana Ross/The Supremes?

It could be a case of all 3 smarts21

Fondly,

Roberta

supremester
04-22-2014, 11:55 PM
Next Tuesday we'll be in Chicago watching Miss Ross live! Live!! LIVE!!!

Roberta75
04-23-2014, 12:30 AM
Next Tuesday we'll be in Chicago watching Miss Ross live! Live!! LIVE!!!

Shes on tour again? God bless miss Diane Ross.

Fondly,

Roberta

Lulu
04-23-2014, 12:39 AM

Fondly,

Roberta

Girl, I thought you knew! Here's a list of the venues: http://www.dianaross.de/

supremester
04-23-2014, 02:54 AM
There are still some very nice $128.00 seats in Kansas City and a few in the back of the second balcony. The rest of the April/May dates are sold out or will be very soon. Do you live near Chicago? There are some lovely 3rd row Loge seats in the Mezzanine for $116.00 and upper balcony tix for 91.00 I'm sure Miss Ross would love to reach out and touch your blessed hand as she continues to keep The Supremes' Legacy alive and well with full-on versions of the original hits with the original lead voice and much better arrangements than even back when she was leading the group into history with Flo, Cindy, Mary, Jackie, Marlene, Louvaine, Maxine, Julia, Nick & Valerie singing background.

More shows are being added including Cincinnati her near-annual visit to Detroit in mid-June. The rumor is that Miss Ross is doing 50 North American dates this year to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of WDOLG......but you know how rumors are! LOL!!!

Fondly,

Roberta

marybrewster
04-23-2014, 08:30 AM

I do not belong to Amazon or iTunes, and I have never downloaded music, so I can't comment on the quality. I do not own an iPad or an MP3 player. I'd like a physical copy for several reasons: it's a continuation to the collection of Expanded Editions that I have already purchased. Having nothing "to show" for this release makes it seem like my collection is incomplete. I am also a very visual person; I like to look and feel. I love packaging; from the pictures behind the inserts, to the booklets to the shiny new CDs itself. There is the argument that you can download the booklet; I get that. Do you need a special printer? Special paper? Do you need to cut it or staple it? What about ink? Lastly, "Funny Girl" is among the only, if THE only release in the Supremes catalog that has NEVER been issued on CD. If we don't get this now, we will NEVER get it.

mowsville
04-23-2014, 09:41 AM
my sentiments exactly Marybrewster.

Motown Andy
04-23-2014, 10:16 AM
Hello everyone! Wow, Funny Girl seems to have stirred up some pretty strong opinions on both sides of the playground. We are aware that most of you want CD's, we do too.

However, this was an opportunity to put out The Supremes Sing And Perform Funny Girl the same day as the Streisand 50th Anniversary Broadway Cast Album, or wait until who knows when.

We took the chance and it is paying off, paving the way for our next releases, which have all been in purgatory for the last 18 months. The others will be physical, and then maybe we can do this physically in the future as well.

In the meantime, we hope you'll all listen in to John Perrone's Nightflight at www.womr.org this Tuesday, April 29 at 9 PM EST/ 6 PM PST, to hear George and I discuss Funny Girl, play the new mixes, and do a loving tribute to our friend Gil Askey.

Kevin Reeves is even stopping by to talk about our work with Diana, Gil and the new Funny Girl mixes.

See you all then!

Andy

carole cucumber
04-23-2014, 10:53 AM
Thank you, Andy, for hearing the fans and offering hope.
My hope is that fans, those who have spoken and those who have been reading the debate but not voicing an opinion, will get behind the next physical releases in full force, so that even Funny Girl may be then offered as a physical release in the future.

daviddh
04-23-2014, 11:28 AM
I have an account with Itunes and have rarely had a problem. when I did they corrected it wihtin 24 hrs. never had a problem with the quality or sound. the photos come out nice and I can print them out if I want
thanks Andy

vgalindo
04-23-2014, 11:48 AM
I do not belong to Amazon or iTunes, and I have never downloaded music, so I can't comment on the quality. I do not own an iPad or an MP3 player. I'd like a physical copy for several reasons: it's a continuation to the collection of Expanded Editions that I have already purchased. Having nothing "to show" for this release makes it seem like my collection is incomplete. I am also a very visual person; I like to look and feel. I love packaging; from the pictures behind the inserts, to the booklets to the shiny new CDs itself. There is the argument that you can download the booklet; I get that. Do you need a special printer? Special paper? Do you need to cut it or staple it? What about ink? Lastly, "Funny Girl" is among the only, if THE only release in the Supremes catalog that has NEVER been issued on CD. If we don't get this now, we will NEVER get it.
Exactly Marybrewster. I am the same way. I don't even like to have an original cd without the packaging. I will buy a whole cd just to get the complete case and inserts.

vgalindo
04-23-2014, 11:53 AM
Thanks so much Andy. This sounds wonderful and I will keep my fingers crossed that one day we may get a physical release of Funny Girl. We know how hard you guys work on these. We love the Expanded Editions so much that it really gets us going. It is my prized collection and I wanted Funny Girl included.

marybrewster
04-23-2014, 12:10 PM
Thank you for your response, Mr. Andy. I appreciate that you acknowledge the concerns regarding the release of "Funny Girl."

As consumers, it's important for our voices to be heard. And as someone that works in entertainment and also in management, I also know it's detrimental to hear feedback, both positive and negative.

I know if there's ANYONE that's on "our side" it's you. So please don't take my criticism personally; I absoultely adore you. But you should already know that.

I'll be skipping the digital download and take the chance that this might someday be released as a physical product. The love you pour into these releases is deserving of nothing less. And I truly hope you are appreciated for all of your hard work. I certainly do.

skooldem1
04-23-2014, 12:32 PM
Just as I suspected. This digital release was a treat for the fans. If someone doesn't like "digital" releases, that is ok. You can wait for a possible future release- or as Andy said "or wait until who knows when". There are some who don't want to wait till who knows when and don't mind a digital release. I don't want anyone who voiced their opinion to think I am saying that they shouldn't have spoken up. That is your right, that is your preference. I also don't want Andy to think that none of us want any future digital releases. If the choice is between waiting until who knows when and a digital release for any future projects. I will go with digital releases.

carole cucumber
04-23-2014, 01:15 PM
I believe the booklet has 40 pictures; it's not 40 pages.

http://www.amazon.com/Funny-digital-booklet-Various-artists/dp/B00JSKH96G/ref=sr_1_sc_3?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1398272925&sr=1-3-spell&keywords=Funny+girlk

I just noticed that this digital download also has a digital booklet- helping to substantiate the concurrent releasing of the Streisand Broadway 50th Anniversary & the DR&TS later versions, of which Andy makes mention in his most recent post.

carole cucumber
04-23-2014, 01:21 PM
[QUOTE=skooldem1;224073............ I also don't want Andy to think that none of us want any future digital releases. If the choice is between waiting until who knows when and a digital release for any future projects. I will go with digital releases.[/QUOTE]

Have you considered the third option? Instead of Digital vs. Physical, why not both [[a download and a Cd release on the same day) , leaving the choice up to the individual.

ejluther
04-24-2014, 07:23 AM
We took the chance and it is paying off, paving the way for our next releases, which have all been in purgatory for the last 18 months. The others will be physical, and then maybe we can do this physically in the future as well.
Hooray! Any chance you can confirm which albums will be the next releases? Thanks, Andy - you're the greatest star!

carole cucumber
04-24-2014, 08:05 AM
Hooray! Any chance you can confirm which albums will be the next releases? Thanks, Andy - you're the greatest star!

Andy posted this on the Nighflight thread:

Actually CC, I was supposed to suprise everyone by calling in and making the announcement on air, but I was busy working on a project and sadly unable to call in. John has been most generous to let us come on his show next week, and I am so excited about it. There's a few really cool surprises. Don't miss the first hour, some surprises come right away. ;-) I won't say anymore!

Perhaps, part of the surprises might be the announcement of the next release[[s).
So,I'm not sure if he'll answer your question now... but one never knows......

mwmr
04-24-2014, 08:15 AM
Andy posted this on the Nighflight thread:

Perhaps, part of the surprises might be the announcement of the next release[[s).
So,I'm not sure if he'll answer your question now... but one never knows......

Is there anyway that i can listen to these nightflight broadcasts here in the UK??

144man
04-24-2014, 08:29 AM
Is there anyway that i can listen to these nightflight broadcasts here in the UK??

I listen regularly, but I have to stay up until 2am. Just click on the link on Midnight Johnny's thread, follow the instructions for streaming, and your computer's media player should do the rest.

carole cucumber
04-24-2014, 08:30 AM

I do know that some shows are archived and posted at WOMR. Because of copyright issues, the musical portions are excluded, but interviews are retained.
There is a significant time difference [[Nightflight is on at approximately 3 A.M. in the U.K.- if I remember correctly) But some, such as Martin from the U.K., adjust their sleeping schedules to listen in.
And I may be incorrect in this, but I believe that some may even have the ability to record the show, so as to listen to the broadcast at their leisure at a later time.
Perhaps John Perrone might see this and give a more exact answer than I am able.

carole cucumber
04-24-2014, 08:33 AM
I see that Martin has responded while I was typing- thanks for clarifying.

djessie
04-24-2014, 09:27 AM
THRILLED by the post by Andy! I will still skip "Funny Girl" on download, but to hear that the next releases will in fact be on physical format is fantastic! I will continue to purchase every single Diana related release on CD.

Thanks a lot Andy for letting us know - fingers crossed that "Baby It's Me" is finally back on track.

marybrewster
04-24-2014, 09:35 AM
THRILLED by the post by Andy! I will still skip "Funny Girl" on download, but to hear that the next releases will in fact be on physical format is fantastic! I will continue to purchase every single Diana related release on CD.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

marybrewster
04-24-2014, 09:37 AM
Am I correct to assume that at this time the "Funny Girl" download will only be available in the US?

milven
04-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Am I correct to assume that at this time the "Funny Girl" download will only be available in the US?

You may be correct. I do not see it listed on Amazon.UK

Motown Andy
04-24-2014, 01:22 PM
Yes, I learned this digital download is a global release. I don't know what the iTunes/Amazon release date is outside of the US, but keep an eye out for it. In the meantime, I sure hope you'll have a UK slumber party with us on John's show!

marybrewster
04-24-2014, 03:10 PM
Yes, I learned this digital download is a global release. I don't know what the iTunes/Amazon release date is outside of the US, but keep an eye out for it. In the meantime, I sure hope you'll have a UK slumber party with us on John's show!

Hurray for everyone on both sides of the pond!

sophisticated_soul
04-24-2014, 04:41 PM
A couple of weeks ago I discovered that another cult type album I have long awaited release on CD [[the soundtrack to the 1981 film “Sharky’s Machine”) had finally made it to disc. It had been released about six weeks prior on February 18th 2014. On a whim I checked to see if it was available as a download. To my surprise I found it had been released as a download on December 17th 2013 [[two months prior to its physical release). I didn’t think it was done that way. Whenever I check Amazon for old or new albums I never check the Mp3 section because I have little to no interest in downloads.

However, I would have downloaded “Sharky’s Machine” in December if I had known it was available. And though I would not have been amused, I’m sure I would have purchased the physical disc too, when it was later released because I prefer manufactured CDs. So it makes me feel I should maybe wait awhile to see if an Mp3 download only project will later be converted into a physical CD. It also makes me feel economically manipulated, but this is the music business.

carlo
04-25-2014, 06:42 AM
I wonder if it does well enough, if this album will indeed be made available on CD? It would make sense for it to. If the same fans all buy the mp3, it will help Universal to recoup the costs/investment made in the project...and I'm sure many of us would then buy it again if it went onto CD...creating an extra return for themselves that maybe they wouldn't have otherwise had.

Hi Sophie! I am going to try to e-mail you this weekend!

Motown Eddie
04-25-2014, 11:15 AM
From the Second Disc.com, details about the release of "Funny Girl";

http://theseconddisc.com/2014/04/25/the-motown-music-that-makes-me-dance-the-supremes-funny-girl-gets-expansion/#more-25058

longtimefan
04-25-2014, 01:57 PM
The author of the SECOND DUSC article [[above) really hit the nail on the head, synthesizing what so many SDF members have been saying!

"In short, this looks like a very special release that would have made a fine and important addition to the Hip-o Select Supremes/Diana Ross library of deluxe expanded CD reissues. Is this MP3 release a sign that the label’s superlative physical program is over? Might a CD release, with its superior sound quality, still be a possibility? Would Hip-o consider licensing this project to one of the numerous labels that have licensed official titles from Motown in recent months, i.e. Ace, Big Break Records, SoulMusic Records or Real Gone Music? We have no further information at this time, but we’d love to hear your thoughts on, and hopes for, the future of the classic Motown catalogue!"

Lulu
04-25-2014, 02:11 PM
I for one won't be complaining or boycotting. Andy and George have been so good to us and I seriously doubt any less effort went into this release than any of the others regardless of what the record company execs. ultimately decided on. I'll pay my $9.99 and pop this puppy onto my iPhone and groove. If a CD comes along down the road, great!

kenneth
04-25-2014, 02:16 PM
The author of the SECOND DUSC article [[above) really hit the nail on the head, synthesizing what so many SDF members have been saying!

"In short, this looks like a very special release that would have made a fine and important addition to the Hip-o Select Supremes/Diana Ross library of deluxe expanded CD reissues. Is this MP3 release a sign that the label’s superlative physical program is over? Might a CD release, with its superior sound quality, still be a possibility? Would Hip-o consider licensing this project to one of the numerous labels that have licensed official titles from Motown in recent months, i.e. Ace, Big Break Records, SoulMusic Records or Real Gone Music? We have no further information at this time, but we’d love to hear your thoughts on, and hopes for, the future of the classic Motown catalogue!"

I agree wholeheartedly. I've supported every Motown release from Hip-O [[sometimes even bought duplicates) but the vapor ware of this download doesn't interest me. I'll wait for the physical CD and hopefully there will be one sometime.

sophisticated_soul
04-25-2014, 04:33 PM
Hi Sophie! I am going to try to e-mail you this weekend!

Hey Carlo, nice to see you checking in with SD now and then. Hope all is going well with you and yours. Take care and be well, JOsEph:)

daviddh
04-25-2014, 08:52 PM
Hey LuLu, couldn't have said it better.

ejluther
04-26-2014, 01:01 PM

In anticipation of the release I pulled out my DRATS FUNNY GIRL LPs and it seems as though my mono UK copy features sparser background vocals [[just Mary and Cindy?) when compared to my US Stereo copy; given Motown's history of releasing different versions in different parts of the world, I'm curious if this isn't the version Styne preferred? Or maybe it's just something about the mono mix that makes the background vocals seem thinned out? Regardless, I find it really is a satisfying project and I'm very excited about the digital release this coming Tuesday...

George Solomon
04-26-2014, 11:29 PM
Hi everyone. I just want to check in for a moment. As Andy said, we would have loved to have done a physical release but had no choice this time so we did the best we could and I think it's a fantastic project. I love the new mix with just Diana, Mary and Cindy. There are three songs that only have Diana's vocals so please don't think we omitted Mary and Cindy. They weren't there and we chose to not use the additional background vocals to keep the remix as pure Supremes as we could.
Andy and I will talk about all of this on John's show Tuesday night. Thanks for all the support. I like hearing everyone's opinion, good and bad! It also never hurts to let Universal know!!!

marybrewster
04-27-2014, 01:11 AM
Hi everyone. I just want to check in for a moment. As Andy said, we would have loved to have done a physical release but had no choice this time so we did the best we could and I think it's a fantastic project. I love the new mix with just Diana, Mary and Cindy. There are three songs that only have Diana's vocals so please don't think we omitted Mary and Cindy. They weren't there and we chose to not use the additional background vocals to keep the remix as pure Supremes as we could.
Andy and I will talk about all of this on John's show Tuesday night. Thanks for all the support. I like hearing everyone's opinion, good and bad! It also never hurts to let Universal know!!!

So nice to hear from you Mr. George! Yes, it never hurts to let Universal know.....but are they listening?

I don't know that I've ever seen so much discontent over a release; I can't imagine Universal anticipated so much dissatisfaction. How they react to all of this will be VERY telling. I anticipate it'll go one of two ways: they'll say "screw you" and make it even more difficult for future releases, or, they'll listen to their consumer; the consumer that has supported release after release, and do SOMETHING to rectify this situation. There has been a buffet of suggestions; from a limited physical release to licensing out to another company.

144man
04-27-2014, 07:31 AM
A company doesn't stay successful by alienating its customers. I hope for a positive response. And an increase in the advertising budget wouldn't go amiss.

mwmr
04-27-2014, 11:07 AM
I listen regularly, but I have to stay up until 2am. Just click on the link on Midnight Johnny's thread, follow the instructions for streaming, and your computer's media player should do the rest.

Can anyone in the uk record this for me and e mail it me? I'm on night shift and won't be able to listen

antceleb12
04-27-2014, 11:39 AM
I am very excited to hear what their future releases will be! Keeping my fingers crossed!

djessie
04-28-2014, 08:15 AM
I just hope that "Baby It's Me" is one of them - I feel like I have been waiting forever for that one!

theboyfromxtown
04-28-2014, 11:52 AM
Can anyone in the uk record this for me and e mail it me? I'm on night shift and won't be able to listen

Is it possible to record when the source is streaming?

zani57
04-28-2014, 01:49 PM
Here are the comments from the posting on The Second Disc blog

http://theseconddisc.com/2014/04/25/the-motown-music-that-makes-me-dance-the-supremes-funny-girl-gets-expansion/

Do you think Hip-O Select/Universal Select is switching to digital-download only overall? I’m all for it if it gets them to release more, especially expanded, but still — it’ll disappoint many, many collectors…

If they do it in FLAC, I’m not completely against it. But I still find “historical” releases with digital booklets a pain.

This would have been beautiful as a CD release. I sure hope the future brings one with the booklet.

I refuse to get excited about a digital only release, sorry…

I don’t think there will be anymore HIp-O-Select physical reissues. This would have made a lovely set. Both the Supremes and solo Ross campaigns have not finished.

I’m so thrilled to finally get these songs remastered… and equally disappointed that they come as downloads only. Sign of the times, I guess, but they could at least make the tracks available in FLAC.

It has been confirmed that the next releases from Hip-O-Select will indeed be on physical format, thank god. I would have loved to buy Funny Girl on CD, but I will definitely NOT buy an MP3 “release”!
From Motown Andy:
Hello everyone! Wow, Funny Girl seems to have stirred up some pretty strong opinions on both sides of the playground. We are aware that most of you want CD’s, we do too.
However, this was an opportunity to put out The Supremes Sing And Perform Funny Girl the same day as the Streisand 50th Anniversary Broadway Cast Album, or wait until who knows when.
In the meantime, we hope you’ll all listen in to John Perrone’s Nightflight athttp://www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org/) this Tuesday, April 29 at 9 PM EST/ 6 PM PST, to hear George and I discuss Funny Girl, play the new mixes, and do a loving tribute to our friend Gil Askey.
Kevin Reeves is even stopping by to talk about our work with Diana, Gil and the new Funny Girl mixes.
See you all then!
Andy

It’s hard to believe that my all-time favorite record company — MOTOWN — has resorted to second-rate digital downloads instead of first-rate, high-quality CD’s. [[I saw it coming when Motown released the series of previously-unreleased 1962 Various-Artist recordings of Gospel, Jazz, and early pop in digital download format only. I never dreamed it would happen to The Supremes) In my opinion, Motown Select’s deluxe CD reissues over the years have made Hip-oSelect THE Cadillac of reissue labels. For them to stoop so low to the opposite extreme of releasing digital downloads only is both shocking and disheartening. I’ve been begging Motown for years to release Diana Ross & The Supremes’ “Sing And Perform Funny Girl” on CD, but to no avail. Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On” [[a wonderful album) has seen at least three reissues on CD, but The Supremes’ “Funny Girl” got zero reissues. I just don’t get it. Come on, Motown. Some of us have been faithful fans since 1964. We deserve better.

http://0.gravatar.com/avatar/974cbdbcf3fd13cb71dcc479c7ef34e0?s=32&d=identicon&r=GThe post duplicated above is from the “Funny Girl” set’s producer and one of the leading lights of Classic Motown catalogue, Andy Skurow.

The “Motown Andy” referred to above is Andy Skurow, producer/historian, who has worked on the majority of the Supremes [[and Motown) CD releases through Hip-O Select the last 10+ years. It’s not Andy McKaie.

down with digital. I have never nor will I ever purchase a digital only release.

My thoughts exactly – never have and never will purchase a digital only release!

I, too, am so disappointed that “Funny Girl” is arriving in only digital format. It makes no sense… Maybe Motown will sell some copies of the digitalversion now and then turn around and put out a CD version later on. Seems that is what Andy said may happen… and Motown will make money twice.
I would love to see the Deluxe version on CD, but it not, maybe Culture Factory can get a hold of “Funny Girl” and put it out in their LP Duplication line. I have purchased the other Supremes releases in that series and find them very good…
As for me, I will purchase the digital on Tuesday, because that’s what I will do… despite the fact that I also hate digital downloads. They feel so “empty” and void of any real connection, but at least we do get the music in a nice sound. [[It’s funny: I have two young daughters who ONLY do downloads. All they know and love is digital music. It is definitely a generational thing!)

It would appear that Universal Music has put their mail-order “Hip-O Select” label on hold. There have been no new releases from the label in the first four months of 2014. As for the Supremes, I’m a big fan of most of their music, but not their show tunes & standards, so this is one release that I wouldn’t have bought, even if it had been released on CD.

Tata Vega available on digital download only. pathetic. i will not even attempt to do that. it’s extremely disappointing. i want CD’s in my hand. screw technology.

Any idea when this download will be a available outside the US? At the moment UK Supremes fans [[surely some of the most loyal!) cannot purchase it.

I was ready to go add this to my Amazon wish list until I saw it was a digital download only.
Another lost sale. Oh well.

jobeterob
04-28-2014, 05:17 PM
The Second Disc

Expanded and Remastered Music News

The [[Motown) Music That Makes Me Dance: The Supremes’ “Funny Girl” Gets Expansion

with 19 comments

Supremes - Funny GirlI’m the greatest star/I am by far! But no one knows it…

- Fanny Brice, Funny Girl

Back in 2012, while reviewing Hip-o Select’s splendidly expanded edition of The Supremes at the Copa, I wrote of the “altogether enjoyable [and] still inexplicably not on CD” album The Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl. Indeed, that 1968 LP, featuring Motown’s greatest stars tackling the showstoppers from Jule Styne and Bob Merrill’s score, has long been one of the rarest and most-requested titles in the Supremes discography. Yet Funny Girl has remained unavailable throughout the entirety of the compact disc era…until now. The good news is that the long-awaited reissue will arrive in lavishly expanded form, with twelve bonus tracks, on April 29. But with every parade must come some rain: this deluxe edition of Diana Ross and the Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl is currently only scheduled for release as a digital download. It will appear the same day that the 50th anniversary of the Broadway production of the musical is celebrated with a new CD/LP box set of its original cast recording from Capitol Records, sister imprint of Motown Select within Universal Music Enterprises [[UMe).

The eight-time Tony-nominated musical by librettist Isobel Lennart, composer Styne and lyricist Merrill opened in March 1964 at New York’s Winter Garden Theatre, sealing the deal on superstardom for its leading lady, Barbra Streisand. Streisand’s tour de force as Ziegfeld Follies comedienne Fanny Brice became the stuff of legend, and Styne and Merrill’s score yielded the near-instant standards “Don’t Rain on My Parade” and, of course, “People.” Funny Girl didn’t go unnoticed by Motown chief Berry Gordy. In concert, Diana Ross rendered the sweetly upbeat “I Am Woman [[You Are Man)” to coquettish perfection while Florence Ballard belted the dramatic “People” from the heart.

It wasn’t unusual for The Supremes to switch gears back and forth between Holland-Dozier-Holland’s explosive Top 40 R&B and classic Broadway and standard repertoire. It was all part of Berry Gordy’s plan to make his artists true stars, appealing to the affluent supper club set as well as the teenagers buying the latest 45s. In early 1965, The Supremes began work on There’s a Place for Us, so named for Stephen Sondheim’s West Side Story lyric to “Somewhere,” for which they recorded both “People” and “I Am Woman.” That summer, Diana Ross, Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard made their debut at the Copacabana, singing live many of the songs they had recorded for There’s a Place for Us. With the release of The Supremes at the Copa, the studio album was shelved, eventually arriving on CD in 2004. Other Broadway-themed Supremes recordings were made, however, some even with Holland-Dozier-Holland at the helm. 1967’s The Supremes Sing Rodgers and Hart, produced by Berry Gordy and arranger Gil Askey, reached back to the Broadway of decades before Funny Girl.

In 1968, however, Gordy and Askey had good reason to turn their attention back to the Styne and Merrill musical. Its big-screen adaptation was arriving from Columbia Pictures; Streisand would win an Oscar for reprising her role as Fanny. Hitting record stores on August 26, 1968 [[other sources say May) in advance of the movie’s September 19 release, Diana Ross and the Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl – performed by the new line-up of Diana, Mary and Cindy Birdsong – included nine Styne and Merrill songs [[eight from the stage score and the movie’s title song) plus “My Man,” a signature song of Brice’s that was replaced in the stage score by the ravishing “The Music That Makes Me Dance.” [[The movie featured “My Man” instead of “Music,” but Diana and the girls did both!) The Supremes promoted the album with a medley on The Ed Sullivan Show, and even Jule Styne gave his stamp of approval to the project by writing an adoring, appreciative note for the sleeve. The great composer [[Gypsy, Bells Are Ringing) observed, “Although the girls are young and new and part of the now world, they have always showed great respect towards composers Richard Rodgers, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin [[and now Jule Styne). Thank God. They are always aware of what’s new by their appreciation of the sounds of Burt Bacharach and Jimmy Webb, etc. What Diana Ross does…is something else again. If I sound excited, I am…My life is now complete. From Frank Sinatra, to Barbra Streisand, to Diana Ross and the Supremes. What a parlay!”

Despite the enormous success of the motion picture, the Supremes’ Funny Girl album only reached No. 150 on the Billboard 200 and No. 45 on the R&B chart. The motion picture soundtrack featuring Streisand fared rather better with a No. 12 peak, but Diana, Mary and Cindy didn’t have to wait long to return to chart supremacy. The very next month after the Funny Girl LP’s arrival, the group released the single “Love Child.” By November, it had reached No. 1. And that wasn’t all. Their collaborative album Diana Ross and the Supremes Join the Temptations, released the same month of November, reached No. 2 and its single “I’m Gonna Make You Loved Me” became a Billboard No. 2 Pop smash on 45. Miss Ross kept some of the Funny Girl music in her live repertoire well into her post-Supremes solo years.

What will you find on this new Funny Girl? Hit the jump for that and more!

The digital-only expanded reissue of The Supremes’ Funny Girl features twelve bonus tracks. The entire album is included in newly-remixed form; whereas the original album tracks were heavily sweetened with a chorus, these remixes will feature only the voices of only Diana, Mary and Cindy. Two further bonus tracks have been taken from live performances – “My Man” from Las Vegas, and “I’m the Greatest Star” from the 1968 television special TCB starring The Supremes and The Temps. A digital booklet is also included.

In short, this looks like a very special release that would have made a fine and important addition to the Hip-o Select Supremes/Diana Ross library of deluxe expanded CD reissues. Is this MP3 release a sign that the label’s superlative physical program is over? Might a CD release, with its superior sound quality, still be a possibility? Would Hip-o consider licensing this project to one of the numerous labels that have licensed official titles from Motown in recent months, i.e. Ace, Big Break Records, SoulMusic Records or Real Gone Music? We have no further information at this time, but we’d love to hear your thoughts on, and hopes for, the future of the classic Motown catalogue! Please sound off below!

And don’t miss Sing and Perform Funny Girl on Tuesday. You can pre-order at the link below!

Diana Ross and the Supremes, Sing and Perform Funny Girl [[Motown LP MS 672, 1968 – reissued Motown Select digital-only, no cat. no., 2014) [[Amazon U.S. )
1.Funny Girl
2.If A Girl Isn’t Pretty
3.I Am Woman [[You Are Man)
4.The Music That Makes Me Dance
5.Don’t Rain on My Parade
6.People
7.Cornet Man
8.His Love Makes Me Beautiful
9.Sadie, Sadie
10.I’m the Greatest Star
11.Funny Girl [[Remix)
12.If A Girl Isn’t Pretty [[Remix)
13.I Am Woman [[You Are Man) [[Remix)
14.The Music That Makes Me Dance [[Remix)
15.Don’t Rain on My Parade [[Remix)
16.People [[Remix)
17.Cornet Man [[Remix)
18.His Love Makes Me Beautiful [[Remix)
19.Sadie, Sadie [[Remix)
20.I’m the Greatest Star [[Remix)
21.I’m the Greatest Star [[Live from TCB)
22.My Man [[Live from Las Vegas)

Tracks 11-22 previously unreleased

smark21
04-28-2014, 08:11 PM
I wonder if Jules Styne really felt that way or if he wrote what he wrote because he was getting a check from Motown?

Lulu
04-28-2014, 09:08 PM
I wonder if Jules Styne really felt that way or if he wrote what he wrote because he was getting a check from Motown?

Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I think the standards and Broadway composers and lyricists would be thrilled to have their works covered by pop stars, particularly black pop stars in the 1960s.

kenneth
04-28-2014, 09:26 PM
Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I think the standards and Broadway composers and lyricists would be thrilled to have their works covered by pop stars, particularly black pop stars in the 1960s.

I think so. Gene Kelly wrote the liner notes to "Sing Rodgers and Hart" and he wouldn't have received any royalties or such from the effort. I'm sure they would love that their material was reaching new audiences. They were "crossing over" just as the Supremes were.

carole cucumber
04-28-2014, 09:41 PM
Diana, Mary & Cindy Sing & Perform:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zqPTkdYzgc#t=103

smark21
04-28-2014, 09:57 PM
I think so. Gene Kelly wrote the liner notes to "Sing Rodgers and Hart" and he wouldn't have received any royalties or such from the effort. I'm sure they would love that their material was reaching new audiences. They were "crossing over" just as the Supremes were.

Liner note writers aren't paid royalties, they get a fee for writing the notes. And given how superficial the liner notes are on these 60s albums [[they're not exactly detailed and annotated) and that they were used to market the album, I wouldn't be shocked to learn that Motown approach reps of Gene Kelly, Dinah Shore and Jules Styne and said, we're going to write the promo copy/liner notes for the back cover of the latest Supremes album, you can sign your name at the bottom and you'll get a check for x amount. No doubt they must have liked the Supremes, but I do wonder if those comments were actually written by them or not, or if it was just a business arrangement? Maybe someone here might know how valid these liner notes were.

Glenpwood
04-28-2014, 11:05 PM
Its now on Itunes and ready to buy.... Grab a copy!

Glenpwood
04-28-2014, 11:16 PM
Loving the booklet! Worth the cost alone!

supremester
05-04-2014, 04:30 AM
Dear Andy & George:
As promised, I bought Funny Girl when I got home from Chicago tonight. With all due respect, I wasn't expecting much as this album never worked for me..........BUT IT DOES NOW! OMG - you took a record that made me cringe and turned it into a great cohesive effort worthy of both DR&TS and Funny Girl AND the great Jule Styne. With all the catch up I'm doing after being gone a week, I haven't had time just to sit back and listen start to finish, but, I have heard most or all of it in sections and it's beyond wonderful. It's almost like I have a new Ross album. I appreciate her vocals so much more - Mary & Cindy are a very welcome change..........I'm knocked out!
THANK YOU BOTH SO VERY VERY MUCH!

jobeterob
05-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Breaking News
BWW MUSIC NEWS Articles

DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES SING AND PERFORM FUNNY GIRL Now Available On iTunes

May 4

12:05 AM

👤by Pat Cerasaro

DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES SING AND PERFORM FUNNY GIRL Now Available On iTunesIconic pop music group The Supremes, led by Diana Ross, recorded a tribute album to hit Broadway Jule Styne/Bob Merrill musical FUNNY GIRL titled DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES SING AND PERFORM FUNNY GIRL and the recording is now available for the very first time on iTunes.

Ross and company lend their smooth, syncopated sound to such showstopping musical theatre standards as "Don't Rain On My Parade", "I'm The Greatest Star", "People", "Cornet Man", "Funny Girl" and more.

Of note, the new release also contains a slew of bonus tracks, as well, including previously unreleased versions of "The Music That Makes Me Dance", "His Love Makes Me Beautiful" and more from the classic score.

Additionally, the new release also contains Diana Ross & The Supremes performing a bilingual English/French version of the Fanny Brice classic "My Man".

Order DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES SING AND PERFORM FUNNY GIRL on iTunes here.

JohnnyB
05-04-2014, 02:49 PM
Breaking News
BWW MUSIC NEWS Articles

DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES SING AND PERFORM FUNNY GIRL Now Available On iTunes

May 4

12:05 AM

by Pat Cerasaro

DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES SING AND PERFORM FUNNY GIRL Now Available On iTunesIconic pop music group The Supremes, led by Diana Ross, recorded a tribute album to hit Broadway Jule Styne/Bob Merrill musical FUNNY GIRL titled DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES SING AND PERFORM FUNNY GIRL and the recording is now available for the very first time on iTunes.

Ross and company lend their smooth, syncopated sound to such showstopping musical theatre standards as "Don't Rain On My Parade", "I'm The Greatest Star", "People", "Cornet Man", "Funny Girl" and more.

Of note, the new release also contains a slew of bonus tracks, as well, including previously unreleased versions of "The Music That Makes Me Dance", "His Love Makes Me Beautiful" and more from the classic score.

Additionally, the new release also contains Diana Ross & The Supremes performing a bilingual English/French version of the Fanny Brice classic "My Man".

Order DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES SING AND PERFORM FUNNY GIRL on iTunes here.

If anyone is having trouble printing the booklet, I loaded the files to a flash drive and took it to a local Kinkos. They were able to size and print in CD booklet format, using an appropriate paper stock. The finished product is quite attractive...

jobeterob
05-06-2014, 12:42 AM
I haven't bought this but will soon ~ for the booklet and the alternates. I don't like the music except for I'm the Greatest Star; I'm playing that on You Tube and I can't help but smile; I'm wondering what Marv really feels about Mary prancing around behind Diana singing "she is the greatest, the bestest, the greatest", she's the greatest star".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXS_FxB0Ksc

supremester
05-06-2014, 01:58 AM
LOL!!!

Hehehehehehehe!!!

jack020
05-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Cant find it on Amazon anymore!

jobeterob
05-09-2014, 12:55 PM
You mean it's off the chart?

Or you can't see Mary prancing behind Diana singing "she the greatest, the bestest, she's the greatest star?"

Marv can probably locate that one again.

REDHOT
05-12-2014, 07:26 PM
Oh well,i tryed to get into Diana Ross And The Supremes Sing And Perform Funny Girl,didn't like it back in the day,and don't like it today,but it's good to have as a Supreme fan,SORRY

jobeterob
05-14-2014, 11:07 AM
I see that BradSupremes got a credit in the booklet! Good job Brad.

I bought it last night.

REDHOT
05-14-2014, 05:50 PM
If i had to pick a Diana Ross and The Supremes album that i didn't like,Diana Ross and The Supremes Sing And Perform Funny Girl would be it,it's really a Diana Ross solo album,i didn't like it then,and i don't like it now,SORRY lol

Roberta75
05-14-2014, 05:56 PM
If i had to pick a Diana Ross and The Supremes album that i didn't like,Diana Ross and The Supremes Sing And Perform Funny Girl would be it,it's really a Diana Ross solo album,i didn't like it then,and i don't like it now,SORRY lol

Why are you sorry dear Redhot. If you dont like it you dont like it and you wrote on Monday that you dont like it so we get it that you dont like it. Its all cool lol.

Please Stay positive.

Roberta

supremester
05-14-2014, 07:58 PM
What if you didn't have to pick one at all?

smark21
05-14-2014, 08:15 PM
Do you dislike because it's essentially a "Diana Ross solo album" or because you don't like show tunes, or the music from Funny Girl? That's why I didn't buy as I don't care much for the songs from that show.

jobeterob
05-14-2014, 09:22 PM
The songs never excited me much. Not People especially. And Barbra Streisand isn't much of a favourite of mine either.

But Redhot, you should go to ITunes and listen to the samples; there are alternate takes and new mixes and on some of them, you definitely can hear Mary and Cindy in a much bigger way than ever before. You can identify them, hear them.

I'm talking about I'm the Greatest Star in particular.

Have a listen, you might want to buy.

And then there is always the possibility you can consider Marv's views about Mary Wilson cavorting around behind Diana going "she is the greatest, the bestest, the greatest, she's the greatest star, she is by far". That is worth a good laugh.

And BradSupremes got a credit in the booklet! Ya, Brad.