PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson Life Been Good To me CD out in a few weeks.

test

Roberta75
03-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Its happening folks. Mary say the new album will be out in the next few weeks which is real exciting for us.

http://www.classichitsandoldies.com/v2/2014/03/06/the-supremes-mary-wilson-celebrates-70th-birthday/

Roberta

milven
03-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Normally, I would be excited about the announcement of a new release by a former Supreme. But she said the same thing about her new album coming out in the next few weeks ten years ago when she was celebrating her 60th birthday.

[[I may have slightly exaggerated that statement for emphasis)

Roberta75
03-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Normally, I would be excited about the announcement of a new release by a former Supreme. But she said the same thing about her new album coming out in the next few weeks ten years ago when she was celebrating her 60th birthday.

[[I may have slightly exaggerated that statement for emphasis)

If Mary say it coming out in a few weeks then I have to believe her and I hope the CD comes out in a few weeks and I hope Mary get the Las Vegas long time gig shes talking about. I want good things and great health for all our former Supremes including one of my favorites retire podiatrist Miss barbara Martin.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

milven
03-10-2014, 03:42 PM
It is your right to believe it Roberta, but most Mary WIlson fans, who have followed her career and listened to and watched all her interviews just roll their eyes now when they hear her say that her new CD is coming out in a few weeks. Some of us may even get a little offended that she thinks that we are that nieve.

As a youngster, I read “The Boy Who Cried Wolf,” in which a boy who was watching some sheep called for help because his sheep were being attacked by a wolf. People came to help only to find that the sheep were not being attacked. One day the sheep were actually being attacked and the boy cried wolf, but this time no one came to help because the boy cried wolf so many times, people no longer believed him.

Mary cried "coming out in a few weeks" too many times, and now she is in the same situation as the boy who cried wolf.
http://www.thecolor.com/images/The-Boy-Who-Cried-Wolf.gif

skooldem1
03-10-2014, 04:03 PM
To be fair, in the past she has said it would be released soon, or "this year". This time she said in a couple of weeks. That sounds like something is really in the works this time.

Roberta75
03-10-2014, 04:03 PM
It is your right to believe it Roberta, but most Mary WIlson fans, who have followed her career and listened to and watched all her interviews just roll their eyes now when they hear her say that her new CD is coming out in a few weeks. Some of us may even get a little offended that she thinks that we are that nieve.

As a youngster, I read “The Boy Who Cried Wolf,” in which a boy who was watching some sheep called for help because his sheep were being attacked by a wolf. People came to help only to find that the sheep were not being attacked. One day the sheep were actually being attacked and the boy cried wolf, but this time no one came to help because the boy cried wolf so many times, people no longer believed him.

Mary cried "coming out in a few weeks" too many times, and now she is in the same situation as the boy who cried wolf.
http://www.thecolor.com/images/The-Boy-Who-Cried-Wolf.gif

Time will tell my my dear Milven time will tell. :cool:

Fondly,

Roberta

Roberta75
03-10-2014, 04:04 PM
To be fair, in the past she has said it would be released soon, or "this year". This time she said in a couple of weeks. That sounds like something is really in the works this time.

Thats what im thinking skooldem. :D

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Jimi LaLumia
03-10-2014, 04:27 PM
the boy who cried 'wolf',and the girl who cried 'diane!'...

Roberta75
03-10-2014, 04:30 PM

Please keep this thread civil and respecttful Jimi.

Thank you.

Roberta

Jimi LaLumia
03-10-2014, 04:48 PM
I intend to buy the CD, review it in GOOD TIMES Magazine and support, but Miss Wilson's antics never cease to crack me up..

captainjames
03-10-2014, 05:18 PM
GOOD FOR MARY AND CONGRATULATIONS !!!!
I would love to know the record label and the rest of the songs. If being released in a couple of weeks I should be able to find it somewhere on the internet.

mwmr
03-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Its happening folks. Mary say the new album will be out in the next few weeks which is real exciting for us.

http://www.classichitsandoldies.com/v2/2014/03/06/the-supremes-mary-wilson-celebrates-70th-birthday/

Roberta
Hmmmm when I asked Mary about it in London 2 weeks ago she said she had no idea when it was coming out....

i hope things have moved on quickly and this is true but I doubt it

midnightman
03-10-2014, 05:37 PM
Interesting.

Jimi LaLumia
03-10-2014, 06:32 PM
exactly..it should be available for pre order on Amazon right now if it's 'in a few weeks'.. if not, if she seriously wants it to come out, I can probably get it onto the label that signed me last Christmas [[ChromeOrange) and released my new single..

milven
03-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Hmmmm when I asked Mary about it in London 2 weeks ago she said she had no idea when it was coming out....

i hope things have moved on quickly and this is true but I doubt it

If it were really coming out in a few weeks, it would be dropping on April 1st. and if it didn't, that will be our April Fool's joke.

I have little hope that we will see this drop this month. :[[ Sorry, but has been saying this for too long. Hope she proves me wrong this time

smark21
03-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Mary now has active Facebook and Twitter feeds...if the album is really supposed to be coming out then she should be using her social media accounts to promote the releases and provide the dates and links to pre-order. If this album ever does come out, it should be called "Promises Kept [[Finally)".

Ryon6
03-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Actually, the article says the album is to be released in coming weeks, not a few or a couple. "Wilson continues to tour as a solo artist, and she revealed to ABC News Radio that she has a new album titled Life’s Been Good to Me that she expects to be released in the coming weeks."

longtimefan
03-10-2014, 09:52 PM
From www.marywilson.com in 2010.

By Marilyn Beck and Stacy Jenel Smith

HollywoodNews.com: Mary Wilson reports that the album of all-new material she’s been working on– with songs by Brian and Eddie Holland and Lamont Dozier — will be out “within a couple of months.

“We haven’t decided on a name yet. It has something to do with my journey in life. It has a lot to say about life,” says the songstress who rose to fame as one of Motown’s legendary Supremes – who, of course, were hit-making giants thanks to songs turned out by Holland-Dozier-Holland.

Mary’s new album is “more adult contemporary,” she says. “It was originally supposed to come out this month, but it isn’t quite there yet. Of course, there’s no radio to play new music these days. There’s the internet and, well, we’ll figure out something.”

Right now, Mary’s busy with her “Up Close” shows, singing sultry ballads at jazz clubs including Hollywood’s Catalina Bar & Grill Sept. 2-5.

This entry was posted on Monday, October 11th, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Roberta75
03-10-2014, 10:50 PM
Actually, the article says the album is to be released in coming weeks, not a few or a couple. "Wilson continues to tour as a solo artist, and she revealed to ABC News Radio that she has a new album titled Life’s Been Good to Me that she expects to be released in the coming weeks."

Thats just semanntics. A few weeks is just the same as in the coming weeks imo.

Roberta

supremester
03-11-2014, 12:37 AM
I haven't had such an unexpected laugh since an ostrich feather got stuck in my jock strap.......... excellent! I am happy that Mary's album is coming out in the coming weeks and I shall purchase it on the day it comes out [[if we are still using dollars as our form of currency)

captainjames
03-11-2014, 09:37 PM
I will welcome the CD if she releases it and will definitely buy it no matter what because I love all the girls...LOL Mary creates an image and I don't mean that in a bad way she just creates her image as she sees it.

marv2
03-11-2014, 10:17 PM
I am looking forward to Mary's new CD. Only Mary Wilson, Smokey Robinson, Martha Reeves , Pete Rivera and Stevie Wonder are the only "classic Motown" artists still recording and releasing new material I believe .

jobeterob
03-11-2014, 10:34 PM
I am looking forward to Mary's new CD. Only Mary Wilson, Smokey Robinson, Martha Reeves , Pete Rivera and Stevie Wonder are the only "classic Motown" artists still recording and releasing new material I believe .

Ya gotta love it! With his track history and all..............

Roberta75
03-11-2014, 10:50 PM
Ya gotta love it! With his track history and all..............

He said hes looking forward to it jobeterob he didnt say he was gonna buy it. ;););)

Roberta

144man
03-11-2014, 11:00 PM

Isn't there someone missing here?

Don't Rare Earth still record without Peter Rivera?

supremester
03-11-2014, 11:41 PM
Why would Mary lie to the public and her fans?
If it were really coming out in a few weeks, it would be dropping on April 1st. and if it didn't, that will be our April Fool's joke.

I have little hope that we will see this drop this month. :[[ Sorry, but has been saying this for too long. Hope she proves me wrong this time

supremester
03-11-2014, 11:46 PM
What "new" music is Mary releasing? Mama & Lifes Been good To me were both recorded in the 90's. You forgot Gladys.

milven
03-12-2014, 12:44 AM
Why would Mary lie to the public and her fans?
Good question. Why would she? But that is what she is doing. She has been dangling this release in front of us as coming out soon for a decade. It is her way to tell the interviewer that she is still current and not just another oldies act.

But to her fans who read or watch all her interviews, it becomes a little ridiculous after hearing it for a few years, and speaking for myself, it kind of insults my intelligence.

I bought her two singles and would buy the complete CD if it is ever released.

I'd love to be proven wrong and see her CD drop on April 1st. If not, she fooled us again. This time it will be April Fool

Jimi LaLumia
03-12-2014, 05:39 AM
Norma Desmond!!!....

mwmr
03-12-2014, 08:08 AM
Good question. Why would she? But that is what she is doing. She has been dangling this release in front of us as coming out soon for a decade. It is her way to tell the interviewer that she is still current and not just another oldies act.

But to her fans who read or watch all her interviews, it becomes a little ridiculous after hearing it for a few years, and speaking for myself, it kind of insults my intelligence.

I'd love to be proven wrong and see her CD drop on April 1st. If not, she fooled us again. This time it will be April Fool

Insults your intelligence?? May Mary is only saying what she has been informed by her management, production company, record label [[if she is with one)..with the best will in the world things change...

The one thing we do know is that this album is complete and finished.

As others have pointed out many other artists do the same and state that an album will be out in a few months, early next year etc.

Mary is not unique in this.

EG:- The Human league announced they were releasing a new album and that took EIGHT years from the announcement to actually being released.

I hope, as i'm certain Mary does, that this finally see's a release soon

jobeterob
03-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Releasing a CD isn't what it used to be and Mary hasn't had the kind of career where you release singles, albums, and CDs. She has hardly released anything over the years, none got radio play and none were hits or sold anything much. Total cd sales reported at 4000. She has made a career out of her time at Motown and out of her time as a supreme. If she manages to release a full cd in some way no matter what way, that is a success and good for here.

marv2
03-12-2014, 10:17 AM
Releasing a CD isn't what it used to be and Mary hasn't had the kind of career where you release singles, albums, and CDs. She has hardly released anything over the years, none got radio play and none were hits or sold anything much. Total cd sales reported at 4000. She has made a career out of her time at Motown and out of her time as a supreme. If she manages to release a full cd in some way no matter what way, that is a success and good for here.

Where did this reported 4,000 sales figure come from? Mary's says she's never heard anything like that before.

supremester
03-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Correct answer: the same reason she always lies to the public and her fans: she wants to be thought of in a manner that conflicts with reality. It's just as simple as that.

Jimi LaLumia
03-16-2014, 04:53 PM
yeah, but The Human League have had worldwide #1 hits as The Human League..unlike some people..lol

supremester
03-16-2014, 05:02 PM
Mary has no management per se. She does have people trying to sell her in order to get a percentage of the contract. They do nothing but try to book whoever they can, wherever they can. The Chicago gig certainly was a great idea from some packager. Bottom line: no one is telling Mary the CD will be out soon. No one is dangling this 13 yearold carrot in front of her. Only Mary can make this happen and it costs money to proceed. In the meantime, it sounds good to be able to say, "I'm doing this and this and this and Diane and I are much closer than people think......."
Insults your intelligence?? May Mary is only saying what she has been informed by her management, production company, record label [[if she is with one)..with the best will in the world things change...

The one thing we do know is that this album is complete and finished.

As others have pointed out many other artists do the same and state that an album will be out in a few months, early next year etc.

Mary is not unique in this.

EG:- The Human league announced they were releasing a new album and that took EIGHT years from the announcement to actually being released.

I hope, as i'm certain Mary does, that this finally see's a release soon

milven
04-01-2014, 09:04 AM

Well, "the next few weeks" and "in the coming weeks" have now come and gone. Today is Tuesday, the day that new releases drop and there is nothing new by Mary Wilson in the database for today - nor is their anything listed in the database by Mary Wilson for release in the next month.

And today is April 1st :[[

BigAl
04-01-2014, 09:28 AM
As fond of Mary as I am and have always been, I just dismiss any mention she makes in interviews and stage banter of that CD. She does that, we assume, to give the impression that she still has her hand in, as it were, in the studio. The casual listener, audience member, etc., not familiar with her as we are, will take note. The rest of us just smile and nod knowingly!

supremester
04-01-2014, 03:19 PM
I hope her CD comes out. Her vocal on her mother's song is excellent.

mwmr
04-01-2014, 05:19 PM
Mary has no management per se. She does have people trying to sell her in order to get a percentage of the contract. They do nothing but try to book whoever they can, wherever they can. The Chicago gig certainly was a great idea from some packager. Bottom line: no one is telling Mary the CD will be out soon. No one is dangling this 13 yearold carrot in front of her. Only Mary can make this happen and it costs money to proceed. In the meantime, it sounds good to be able to say, "I'm doing this and this and this and Diane and I are much closer than people think......."

And you know this for a fact? Please enlighten me, and all, with the facts. She does have management and bookers and these can be found easily with a quick internet search.
to challenge your 'bottom line' - how do you know exactly who is saying what to Mary?? Are you privy to all her conversations and buisness meetings???
im sure Mary knows it costs money to proceed having released /financed 2 CDs and 2 DVDs herself

marv2
04-01-2014, 07:14 PM

You are certifiably crazy! Mary Wilson has very sound, very professional and very sane management coming out of two firms that I know of! How in the hell do you think she gets all these gigs, movies, recording CD's, lectures, gown exhibits, symphony concerts, upclose jazz concerts, etc, etc, etc.! I have to laugh for them because they are very tough and if they read this they'd would just roll their eyes and get back to work. LOL!!!!

jobeterob
04-01-2014, 08:02 PM
Oops, another compliment! It means you are in good stead Supremester.

Fortunately, there is confirmation that Marv2 is nothing but a rabid fan; one who poor Mary tries to distance herself from.

Go read about Josephine Baker!

supremester
04-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Mary cc's me on all correspondence. Even dental appointments are run past me.

Mary has AGENTS. Agents. A G E N T S. Agents are people who make a living by booking whoever they can, wherever they can. They find gigs and present them to performers who say yes, or nix the offer. The same agents a lot of other performers do. I once booked Lesley Gore, but was offered Mary Wilson as a better deal [[logistics, $$ etc) Some agents even charge 30k for a performer and tell them they are getting 15k and keep the difference. All work on a percentage of the deal.
I missed you in NYC, hopefully we can hang when I'm back in June.
And you know this for a fact? Please enlighten me, and all, with the facts. She does have management and bookers and these can be found easily with a quick internet search.
to challenge your 'bottom line' - how do you know exactly who is saying what to Mary?? Are you privy to all her conversations and buisness meetings???
im sure Mary knows it costs money to proceed having released /financed 2 CDs and 2 DVDs herself

captainjames
04-01-2014, 10:30 PM
You are absolutely right Al, most have even lost interest even though I hate to say it.

As fond of Mary as I am and have always been, I just dismiss any mention she makes in interviews and stage banter of that CD. She does that, we assume, to give the impression that she still has her hand in, as it were, in the studio. The casual listener, audience member, etc., not familiar with her as we are, will take note. The rest of us just smile and nod knowingly!

supremester
04-02-2014, 02:02 AM
It's so silly. Mary doesn't NEED a manager. She's not gonna pay 25k or more to some dude to tell her to sing Baby Love. A manager guides, plans and strategizes a career path and, if it is warranted [[$$$) goes to the gigs to "handle" things. Mary has no such dude. There's nothing wrong with that. Marv rants so quickly in defense of Mary he doesn't even realize she's not being attacked. Most stars of her caliber don't have real management because they are professional enough to know who their audience is and what they want and managers want a guarantee plus percentage. Add the percentage the agent gets, and there's not always a lot left. These Doc Severeson gigs, hypothetically can gross 40 k. Out of that you need to pay Doc, the band, venue, tech group, house group and the support act. You do the math any way you want. How much is Mary getting and of that, the agent that got her the gig takes his - no way is she gonna give a manager another piece - there's no reason to. Many/most agents are bottom feeding grunts. Some, I'm sure are angels. They have no loyalty but to their bank account. I was offered Mary when I called to book Lesley Gore not because this total stranger wants to do me a favor, but because somehow there was more $$$ for him. I know now why, but at the time, I didn't know how shady these dudes can be. That's why it's illegal for the same entity to be both your agent and manager like Motown was. If Mary had a manager, her CD would have been out in 2001 and she would have done RTL because he would have made money off of them. It's too bad Lynda wasn't in the group sooner - those mega performance fees DMF/DMC were charging and seeing none of would have gone differently. I want all Supremes to be happy, worry free and live the lives they want [[as long as Miss Ross approves in writing, of course.) Can you imagine doing all those gigs and never asking to see a deposit slip??????????????

Oops, another compliment! It means you are in good stead Supremester.

Fortunately, there is confirmation that Marv2 is nothing but a rabid fan; one who poor Mary tries to distance herself from.

Go read about Josephine Baker!

mwmr
04-02-2014, 03:25 PM
Mary cc's me on all correspondence. Even dental appointments are run past me.

Mary has AGENTS. Agents. A G E N T S. Agents are people who make a living by booking whoever they can, wherever they can. They find gigs and present them to performers who say yes, or nix the offer. The same agents a lot of other performers do. I once booked Lesley Gore, but was offered Mary Wilson as a better deal [[logistics, $$ etc) Some agents even charge 30k for a performer and tell them they are getting 15k and keep the difference. All work on a percentage of the deal.
I missed you in NYC, hopefully we can hang when I'm back in June.

Thanks for the spelling lesson I always wondered how to spell agents.
maybe you can now learn how to spell garbage ... Cos you sure talk a lot of it

supremester
04-02-2014, 03:36 PM
Where do YOU think Mary gets her gigs from - The Tooth Fairy?

Lulu
04-02-2014, 04:35 PM

I think it's "Miss One"!

midnightman
04-02-2014, 04:47 PM
I hate it when a performer who has spent all of her life entertaining audiences for as long as Mary has not get paid enough. When I read about how the money's divided, it makes me understand the struggles an artist goes through and it's no surprise that some singers these days do other things to earn extra income because they get ripped off. Anyway I hope for Mary's sake, everything works out and people can buy her album and enjoy the music. That's all anyone asks for, really.

supremester
04-02-2014, 05:41 PM
I agree 10000000000% I have my differences with Mary for sure - but, that does not cloud my objectivity. None of The Supremes got their share. They didn't. While it's true that all record companies did these practices, none of these record companies had THE SUPREMES. None of them generated a fraction of the income DR&TS did - and for them each to get 100k in 1970 is criminal. I've said this before and I'll keep on saying it, Mary should not have to work or even be concerned with money. DR&TS played here twice in 1967. Tickets were an outrageous and record high $4,5,6. Seating 13,500 x $5.00 = $67,500. That's one gig. They worked most nights. Where da money??????? With shrewd, independent counsel, DMF/C would have netted 50 times that 100k.

smark21
04-02-2014, 08:47 PM

Yes, along with Santa, the Easter Bunny and The Great Pumpkin.

bradsupremes
04-02-2014, 10:38 PM
I agree 10000000000% I have my differences with Mary for sure - but, that does not cloud my objectivity. None of The Supremes got their share. They didn't. While it's true that all record companies did these practices, none of these record companies had THE SUPREMES. None of them generated a fraction of the income DR&TS did - and for them each to get 100k in 1970 is criminal. I've said this before and I'll keep on saying it, Mary should not have to work or even be concerned with money. DR&TS played here twice in 1967. Tickets were an outrageous and record high $4,5,6. Seating 13,500 x $5.00 = $67,500. That's one gig. They worked most nights. Where da money??????? With shrewd, independent counsel, DMF/C would have netted 50 times that 100k.

Absolutely! What's also sad is the fact Mary or any of the ladies have to pay to use a photo of the group from one of their photo sessions in the 60's/70's from a place like the Michael Ochs archives. The group paid for those photo sessions. Mary, Diana, Cindy, Jean, etc. should have free access to use any photo from any of the photo sessions the group paid for.

supremester
04-03-2014, 12:43 PM
I didn't know that, but that's the deal that was struck. I'm sure no one asked DMC if they minded flying Chris Clark around and picking up the tab for her suites while she provided an outlet for their manager who took 25% off the top, then ITM, then Shelly, THEN expenses, then zero accountability for the least important disbursement: talent.

marybrewster
04-08-2014, 12:34 PM
I just read on Facebook that someone is remixing a new single of Mary. I believe the song title is "It's Time to Move On".

marybrewster
04-08-2014, 12:36 PM
I hope posting this picture doesn't violate SDF rules. It was posted and shared on Facebook; if it needs to be removed, I respectfully apologize.

marybrewster
04-08-2014, 12:37 PM
And can we ignore the fact that this gentelman posted that Mary had 12 #1's in a year? LOL.

markdtiller
04-08-2014, 02:59 PM
"Keep On Movin" aka "Time To Move On" was a limited edition 12" vinyl single that Mary released in 2000. Leee John [[of Imagination) was one of the producers. It is listed on her wiki discography. So not new and unrelated to the long overdue album. Still it will be nice to have a remix.

Lulu
04-08-2014, 04:11 PM
I'd love a full album. I bought "Life's Been Good To Me" on iTunes when it came out and jammed all afternoon to it while I was in Macy*s!

LadyLola
04-08-2014, 05:08 PM
I'd love a full album. I bought "Life's Been Good To Me" on iTunes when it came out and jammed all afternoon to it while I was in Macy*s!

I'll have to check it out. I always liked Mary Wilson. What did you get at Macy*s?

Lulu
04-08-2014, 05:15 PM
I'll have to check it out. I always liked Mary Wilson. What did you get at Macy*s?

Hehe just some moisturizer, dear! Unlike Mary, I don't have that naturally glowing skin so I have to keep up my regimen!!!

LadyLola
04-08-2014, 06:11 PM
Hehe just some moisturizer, dear! Unlike Mary, I don't have that naturally glowing skin so I have to keep up my regimen!!!

She does look stunning. I always thought she was the prettiest of the original Supremes. That one girl who wasn't in the group long, Linda was very pretty too. I think Diana Ross was cute when she was young, in sort of goofy sort of way. But got more beautiful as she aged.

smark21
04-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Too bad they no longer have flip sides--Time to Move on and Don't Get Mad, Get Even would pair up well on a release.

Lulu
04-09-2014, 02:28 PM
She does look stunning. I always thought she was the prettiest of the original Supremes. That one girl who wasn't in the group long, Linda was very pretty too. I think Diana Ross was cute when she was young, in sort of goofy sort of way. But got more beautiful as she aged.

Mary was and is GORGEOUS as were Flo and Cindy...frankly all of the Supremes were knock outs IMHO. I never had many "curves" and was quite a beanpole/stick until my late 20s so I did tend to gravitate towards Diana. Diana also had this can't-put-my-finger-on-it way about her back then. I hadn't seen any Twiggy looking black women on television as we were used to [[in my house at least) Ella, Billie, Etta, Dinah, Sarah, Ruth Brown. It was Diana's frame, Tina's legs and the pure elegance of Diahann Carroll that provided a different "look" for me!!!