PDA

View Full Version : Help with HE WHO PICKS A ROSE

test

honest man
03-05-2014, 11:52 AM
Hello has there ever been a slow version of this song almost spoken, i thought i had on cd but when checked not there,always thought it was alt version of Edwin Starr song.anyone know,also checked DFMC And they have the song listed twice for some reason,any help appreciated.cheers.

carole cucumber
03-05-2014, 12:40 PM
Could you possibly be thinking of the early version of "He Who Picks A Rose" by the Temptations and available on the digital download collection 'Motown Unreleased 1963'?The title is listed twice at DFTMC because there are 2 different songs in the Motown Catalogue with the title [[notice the difference in composers listed- although Norman Whitfield and Edward Holland, Jr. are constant with both versions ). The Jimmy Ruffin version shares the same melody with Tammi Terrell's "I Gotta Find A Way [[To Get You Back)" later covered by the Temptations on the 'Cloud Nine album'.Another oddity- DFTMC lists Earl Smiley as one of the composers; a computer readout of the early version by the Temps lists his name as Emilio [[Father) Smiley.

honest man
03-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Carole no,though i really like your comments ,always interesting and researched.Did Edwin ever do a song spokenlike and also may be getting mixed up something like ;take a flower and pick the petals,with a A

honest man
03-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Sorry sent to soon ,maybe Chuck Jackson song,But i have heard slow version somewhere. cheers

MIKEW-UK
03-05-2014, 01:39 PM
hi Honestman, how about this version by Rare Earth?

http://www.vbox7.com/play:1aa438f7

carole cucumber
03-05-2014, 01:42 PM
The song you're thinking of is "I'd Still Love You " by Chuck Jackson. The spoken intro is
" Take a rose and color the petals blue; but that rose is still a rose, no matter what you do"

honest man
03-05-2014, 03:22 PM
The song you're thinking of is "I'd Still Love You " by Chuck Jackson. The spoken intro is
" Take a rose and color the petals blue; but that rose is still a rose, no matter what you do"

Yes Carole that was the song i was confused with,but i have heard alt version of HE WHO PICKS A ROSE as i said before,a slower version,not rare earth either,thanks.

thomas96
03-05-2014, 11:57 PM
Jimmy Ruffin did a version I believe.