PDA

View Full Version : 20 Feet From Stardom Won the Oscar!!!!

test

midnight johnny
03-02-2014, 10:39 PM
FYI! Congratulations ALL!

sophisticated_soul
03-02-2014, 10:40 PM
Darlene kicked butt! 72 and going strong!

antceleb12
03-02-2014, 10:41 PM
Congratulations to Darlene, Merry, Judith, et al! Well deserved!

Roberta75
03-02-2014, 10:54 PM
Darlene kicked butt! 72 and going strong!

She sure did and I love His Eye is on the sparrow and so did the audiences at the Oscars.

Roberta

sophisticated_soul
03-02-2014, 10:59 PM
She sure did and I love His Eye is on the sparrow and so did the audiences at the Oscars.

Roberta

They gave her a standing ovation!:)

midnight johnny
03-02-2014, 11:08 PM
But where was TATA!?!

jobeterob
03-03-2014, 03:02 AM
But where was TATA!?!

Likely there were only "allowed" one background singer as a representative and she was picked, chosen, drive the right straw or something.

Incredible for these women who participated. It has given them all a huge bump! As Tata said, she would ride this movie as long as she could!!

supremester
03-03-2014, 03:44 AM
The Academy is very tight with tickets. I'm so happy for the win - it's a nod for The Andantes as well.

midnight johnny
03-03-2014, 09:01 AM
The Academy is very tight with tickets. I'm so happy for the win - it's a nod for The Andantes as well. If they are so tight with tickets....why would they give one to John Stamos?

milven
03-03-2014, 09:07 AM
I think in his acceptance speech, the director said that Darlene was there to represent all the back up singers.

Oscars 2014: Darlene Love Sings Through '20 Feet from Stardom' Acceptance Speech
By Philiana Ng, The Hollywood Reporter | March 02, 2014 10:15 PM EST
http://www.billboard.com/files/styles/promo_650/public/media/oscars_2014_20feettostardom_650_21.jpg
Darlene Love stole the show at Sunday's Academy Awards.

The prolific singer and actress received a standing ovation after showing off her pipes moments after The Weinstein Co.'s "20 Feet From Stardom" won the best documentary feature Oscar.

Love was one of several back-up singers featured on the crowd-pleaser "20 Feet From Stardom" and has backed up legendary musicians including Elvis Presley, Tom Jones, Frank Sinatra, Aretha Franklin and Bruce Springsteen.

An iconic voice of the 1960s on The Crystals' hits "He's a Rebel" and "He's Sure the Boy I Love" and tracks like "Today I Met the Boy I'm Gonna Marry" and "Christmas [[Baby Please Come Home)," Love has been riding a wave of fame for the last year since the documentary exposed the famous backup singer's rich career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdiDLH7hWiY
In February, OWN acquired the television rights to Love's memoir, "My Name Is Love: The Darlene Love Story," which will be adapted into a scripted television movie.

Since its June 2013 release, "20 Feet From Stardom" has made more than $5.2 million at the box office.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5923036/oscars-2014-darlene-love-sings-through-20-feet-from-stardom-acceptance-speech

nysister
03-03-2014, 12:11 PM
I was so happy it won!

Ryon6
03-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Congratulations to all involved!

brother_love
03-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Tata, Merry, Claudia and Judith were all in attendance as well. The Academy would only allow one singer on stage to represent the rest. Now on The Spirit Awards when they won for best documentary all of the ladies came up on the stage.

skooldem1
03-06-2014, 01:58 PM
I don't know if I believe that. Why then does the Academy allow many people on stage for other awards given?

brother_love
03-09-2014, 05:13 PM
Maybe for picture of the year not for documentary of the year. I would not state something on here unless I knew it to be a fact.
I don't know if I believe that. Why then does the Academy allow many people on stage for other awards given?

skooldem1
03-09-2014, 05:43 PM
I'm not trying to start an argument, so I hope you don't take it that way. But why were all these people allowed on stage in 2012 for the award given to "Undefeated" for Best Documentary Feature?

[[Hope it is ok to post this youtube video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTcNX_n3lIQ

brother_love
03-09-2014, 07:49 PM
They are the producers and directors of the film and not subjects that were in the documentary. Notice you don't see any of the football players that the film was all about. In the case of 20 Feet you'll see director Morgan Neville, Janet Friesen widow of producer Gil Friesen and KaitRin Rogers who also produced the project. Darlene was chosen to represent all the singers in the film. All the other ladies that were in attendance were all seated in the nose bleed section and would never have made it down to the stage in time. I would have loved to have seen all the singers go up on stage and get their props, but that's Hollywood for you.

captainjames
03-09-2014, 08:11 PM
Embrace the win for them !!!

brother_love
03-09-2014, 08:20 PM
Yes indeed, Amen!
Embrace the win for them !!!

stephanie
03-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Question. Now that this documentary has won an award what happens with the ladies? I am sure the person/or people who were involved will get more work but will the ladies get more work? We know Darlene has connections with Paul Schaffer and Bruce Springsteen and she has been inducted into the RRHOF. Will winning this award bring more attention the other ladies and help them get more work/or more notice? Just curious for those who are in the know. Also I see where Oprah is going to do a movie on Miss Love based on her book which I have. Any thoughts or ideas?

reese
03-10-2014, 12:10 PM
I would hope that at the very least, the ladies get together for a tour while the interest is there. Since the film is still running in some areas, it would be great to capitalize on its success.

captainjames
03-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Just wish [[although I am happy for all of them) it could have happen years ago.