PDA

View Full Version : DJ Porky Chedwick R.I.P.

test

moe
03-02-2014, 02:04 PM
Pittsburgh's famous DJ Craig "Porky" Chedwick died. He was famous for playing what many parents called "race music" in the 60's, uniting all teenagers. I remember Funk Brother Bob Babbitt talking about listening to Porky when he lived in Pittsburgh. He was 96.
R.I.P. "Daddio of the Raddio."

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
03-02-2014, 04:19 PM
He passed away this morning. Porky was MC at the final Roots of Rok and Rol Show in Pittsburgh last Saturday. He had dinner with Eugene Pitt after the shows. Eugene has always credited The Bossman with breaking The Jive Five nationally. They have been close friends since 1961. Porky went in for surgery on Monday and came home. Eugene talked with him Thursday and he seemed to be reovering well.

This is sad news for anyone who loves music. My condolences to Porky's wife, Jeanie, his friends, Larry & Marge Feevey, and especially to my boss, Eugene Pitt. He lived a good life and passed at age 96. So many artists owe so much to Porky Chedwick. He played so-called race records before Alan Freed or anyone else.

May Pork The Tork Rest In Peace...

~~Mary~~

I have a photo of Porky & Eugene from the dinner after last Saturday's show, but can't seem to post it.

moe
03-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Mary, I hope you can post the pic. Porky contributed so much to my exposure of music growing up in Pittsburgh. I met him several times; truly one of a kind!!!

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
03-02-2014, 09:26 PM
Hi Moe,

I tried to post it, but it said URL rather than from my computer. I know there would be no problems with somone challanging the photo beause Larry Feevey took it and sent it to me to post on Facebook. It is up there in a photo album from the final Roots of Rock and Roll Show on the Eugene Pitt & The Jive Five fan page. It would be so timely because it was taken last Saturday night. Larry may be putting up a video on youtube of Porky introducing Gene at the show.

Yes, Porky was one of a kind, and every DJ owes him a debt of gratitude. He made the mold and no one since has broken it.

~~Mary~

moe
03-02-2014, 09:39 PM
I saw it; thanks!

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
03-03-2014, 09:29 AM
You're welcome.:)

mr_june
03-05-2014, 02:09 PM
The news made the Chicago Sun-Times today.