PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson - Dare to Dream Performance !

test

marv2
03-02-2014, 12:50 PM
Keeping the Supremes Legacy alive, Mary Wilson delivers her "Dare to Dream" lecture, along with a mini concert for students at Aquinas Grammar School. Here she is looking and sounding terrific! Part. 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd6wcwEtlks

marv2
03-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Part 2. She sings a bit of "Smile" and "Don't Know Why":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpZLHZFBGMI

marv2
03-02-2014, 12:56 PM
Part 3 and more of her lecture and then she sings the sublime........"Strange Fruit":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3h7vc6L-B4

Roberta75
03-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Part 3 and more of her lecture and then she sings the sublime........"Strange Fruit":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3h7vc6L-B4

mary look and sound great but Diane Ross sings a much better and more emotionall Strange Fruit imo.

Roberta

mwmr
03-02-2014, 05:03 PM
mary look and sound great but Diane Ross sings a much better and more emotionall Strange Fruit imo.

Roberta

i disagree... Mary's version of Strange Fruit is more emotional , honest, real and raw than Diane's version IMHO.

some songs Diane excels on, some Mary excels on

supremester
03-02-2014, 05:06 PM
No one sings like Mary Wilson these days! She and Martha should tour together!

jobeterob
03-03-2014, 02:08 PM
No one sings like Mary Wilson these days! She and Martha should tour together!

I wonder if she had a chance to be part of 20 Feet From Stardom! It has reignited a few careers.

marv2
03-03-2014, 04:42 PM
I wonder if she had a chance to be part of 20 Feet From Stardom! It has reignited a few careers.

She doesn't need that. She does not need to reignite her career. Mary Wilson's career is hotter than ever right at this moment!

milven
03-03-2014, 04:46 PM

"Technically", she was not a background singer. She was a member of a group. Susaye Greene was in the movie, not because she was a Supreme, but because she was a background singer for Ray Charles

jobeterob
03-04-2014, 12:22 AM
"Technically", she was not a background singer. She was a member of a group. Susaye Greene was in the movie, not because she was a Supreme, but because she was a background singer for Ray Charles

OK, makes sense. It's just that these "background singers" that were somehow attached to the movie got on the Talk shows, one went to the Academy Awards ~ they got a lot of attention, while Mary is talking at a Grammar School to children.

In one sense, she would have been perfect for this movie; but perhaps she wasn't allowed because she was from a group.

bradsupremes
03-04-2014, 01:31 AM
OK, makes sense. It's just that these "background singers" that were somehow attached to the movie got on the Talk shows, one went to the Academy Awards ~ they got a lot of attention, while Mary is talking at a Grammar School to children.

In one sense, she would have been perfect for this movie; but perhaps she wasn't allowed because she was from a group.

I think the focus was to spotlight the ladies who didn't get to enjoy the "stardom" hence the title. Mary has certainly enjoyed worldwide stardom as a Supreme.

If you get a chance to see the film, please do so. Fantastic documentary.

smark21
03-04-2014, 09:18 AM
Of course there is value to giving a motivational speech to children at a grammar school. It's called "giving back" [[though I'm well aware Mary is getting paid for this gig). No one should be put down for such gigs unless they are spreading misinformation or conveying negative messages in their lectures/programs. I'm sure many of us who attended school in the 70s or 80s remember those speakers who would come on campus and try to turn people away from pop music by playing records backward to convince us there were hidden satanic messages in the music? I remember just such a speaker at my college in the mid 80s though he was pretty much ignored and people laughed at him after he left.

mwmr
03-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Well despite the naysayers Mary is still going strong and working around the world 50 years on. Not bad for a background singer who 'couldn't sing'
love ya Mary x

milven
03-05-2014, 10:27 AM
Of course there is value to giving a motivational speech to children at a grammar school. It's called "giving back" [[though I'm well aware Mary is getting paid for this gig). ..

There is a value and if Mary is getting paid for that value, then it isn't really giving back

marv2
03-05-2014, 10:42 AM
There is a value and if Mary is getting paid for that value, then it isn't really giving back

Sure it is. Some corporations have mentoring programs and community outreach programs where they send key employees out into the community to encourage, inspire and career aspirations with students. In New York City we have the "Mayor for A Day " program in which I and many others participated in annually. We were still paid our regular salaries, although we were off work. Not many people can take off from their regular jobs to do things like this. Also keep in mind, many are given the option of participating in these programs........... but decline. I have nothing but praise for Mary and the U.S. State Dept are doing. I remember when she toured poor South American and African villages several years ago to speak to and share her story with the children. God Bless Her!

marv2
03-05-2014, 11:10 AM
....and here with Part 4 and performing the song "I Am Changing"........Happy Birthday Mary!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33jFv2r5lns

stephanie
03-05-2014, 09:23 PM
Weldon McDougal RIP and my brother told me [[my brother plays bass behind some people this board would know from time to time) that some of the oldies acts who are no longer getting bookings would give their right arm to do what Mary is doing. Many of them were wishing TJ Lubinksy would call them. If you paid them 300 to go to a school and talk doo wop they would do it. Mary is VERY fortunate and instead of her manager or herself looking for othe gigs although I know that is their job they dont HAVE to do this.

Anyway I think her Dare to Dream is a great platform of inspiration for these kids and older people as well. Granted she came from a popular group but she could have thrown in the towel years ago like some entertainers have and she didnt. Yes she likes the limelight but you cant deny this platform and at her age is she ABLE and is having a good time doing it. Go on Miss Wilson!

jobeterob
03-06-2014, 02:36 AM
Weldon McDougal RIP and my brother told me [[my brother plays bass behind some people this board would know from time to time) that some of the oldies acts who are no longer getting bookings would give their right arm to do what Mary is doing. Many of them were wishing TJ Lubinksy would call them. If you paid them 300 to go to a school and talk doo wop they would do it. Mary is VERY fortunate and instead of her manager or herself looking for othe gigs although I know that is their job they dont HAVE to do this.

Anyway I think her Dare to Dream is a great platform of inspiration for these kids and older people as well. Granted she came from a popular group but she could have thrown in the towel years ago like some entertainers have and she didnt. Yes she likes the limelight but you cant deny this platform and at her age is she ABLE and is having a good time doing it. Go on Miss Wilson!

Well stated; I agree.

luke
03-06-2014, 01:19 PM
It's ironic that some criticize Mary even when she gives of herself to help others-regardless of how many people come or where it is. Her lack of narcissism and her wanting to make the world a better place is a flaw? Thank God for people who help make the world a better place.

jobeterob
03-06-2014, 02:02 PM
She should sing Reach Out And Touch for you too.

R. Mark Desjardins
03-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Remember that Mary Wilson was part of the acclaimed documentary "Only The Strong Survive, " some years back, and in consideration of that fact, had already been given a spotlight that the producers of "20 Feet From Stardom" felt should be given to someone not so honoured in the past.

marv2
03-08-2014, 09:16 PM
and everyone sang....."Someday We'll Be Together"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMzq4v0FRBI