PDA

View Full Version : Ain't no woman like the one I got

test

skooldem1
02-26-2014, 07:04 PM
This is my favorite Four Tops record. However, I don't care for the live versions I've heard, because Levi sang behind the beat and it took something away from it's greatness. Here is a clip of them lip syncing the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HFE9I7vnzI

marv2
02-26-2014, 07:15 PM
This is one of the great classics! I loved this song

soulster
02-26-2014, 10:15 PM
The whole "Keeper Of The Castle" album is classic, and deserves a deluxe remastering...or hi-rez release.

thisoldheart
02-26-2014, 11:46 PM
yikes, i love my tops ... but can't stand their post motown career!

marv2
02-27-2014, 12:16 AM
The whole "Keeper Of The Castle" album is classic, and deserves a deluxe remastering...or hi-rez release.

So right you are. The "Keeper of The Castle" album is some of their all time best work:

1."Keeper of the Castle"
2."Ain't No Woman [[Like the One I've Got)"
3."Put a Little Love Away"
4."Turn On the Light of Your Love" [[Len Perry, Levi Stubbs, Jr., Renaldo Benson, Abdul Fakir)
5."When Tonight Meets Tomorrow" [[Al Cleveland, Renaldo Benson, Len Perry)
6."Love Music"
7."Remember What I Told You to Forget"
8."[[I Think I Must Be) Dreaming"
9."The Good Lord Knows" [[Renaldo Benson, Len Perry)
10."Jubilee With Soul" [[Joe Smith, Val Benson, Renaldo Benson)
11."Love Makes You Human" [[Val Benson, Renaldo Benson, Len Perry)
12."Keeper of the Castle [[Reprise)"

"Love Music" was also a big favorite of mine from this album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpnuSIm0KHI

ceasar
02-27-2014, 12:18 AM
Greetings
That is a great song.
We do that in our shows.
With a TYMES flavor.
Ceasar
The
Original
Tymes

marv2
02-27-2014, 12:20 AM

It was some of their best work, the "Keeper of the Castle" album:

1."Keeper of the Castle"
2."Ain't No Woman [[Like the One I've Got)"
3."Put a Little Love Away"
4."Turn On the Light of Your Love" [[Len Perry, Levi Stubbs, Jr., Renaldo Benson, Abdul Fakir)
5."When Tonight Meets Tomorrow" [[Al Cleveland, Renaldo Benson, Len Perry)
6."Love Music"
7."Remember What I Told You to Forget"
8."[[I Think I Must Be) Dreaming"
9."The Good Lord Knows" [[Renaldo Benson, Len Perry)
10."Jubilee With Soul" [[Joe Smith, Val Benson, Renaldo Benson)
11."Love Makes You Human" [[Val Benson, Renaldo Benson, Len Perry)
12."Keeper of the Castle [[Reprise)"

"Love Music" was another big favorite of mine from this album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpnuSIm0KHI

thomas96
02-27-2014, 02:06 AM
yikes, i love my tops ... but can't stand their post motown career!

Really? Nothing post-Motown gets you goin?

My absolute favorite is Are You Man Enough... What a fantastic tune.

thisoldheart
02-27-2014, 03:10 AM
really!!!!

soulster
02-27-2014, 05:15 AM
yikes, i love my tops ... but can't stand their post motown career! Why? They artistic control, and they more records than they had at Motown.

I love some of their hits on Motown, but whenever I want to hear some Tops, I always go for the first three ABC/Dunhill albums.

thisoldheart
02-27-2014, 05:24 AM
the tops holland/dozier/holland run on motown is epic. the stuff that legends are made of ... that stretch is the top of my tops!

soulster
02-27-2014, 05:38 AM
Really? Nothing post-Motown gets you goin?

My absolute favorite is Are You Man Enough... What a fantastic tune.

Here are some of my favorite ABC/Dunhill songs:

Keeper Of The Castle
Ain't No Woman [[Like The One I've Got)
Put A Little Love Away
Turn On the Light Of Your Love
When Tonight Meets Tomorrow
Love Music
Remember What I Told You To Forget
Love Makes You Human
Main Street People
I Just Can't Get You Out Of My Mind
Sweet Understanding Love
Are You Man Enough
One Chain Don't Make No Prison
Midnight Flower
The Well Is Dry
No Sad Songs
Right On Brother

marv2
02-27-2014, 11:38 AM
One of my favorites was "I Believe In You and Me"

tmd
03-02-2014, 11:11 PM
I am sure you must have forgot When She Was My Girl, one of the top 10 hits of all Four Top songs. The Tops had the best post career of any artist that was with Motown, Keeper of the Castle, Tonight and Indestructible are tremendous albums.

Ngroove
03-03-2014, 03:38 AM
I am sure you must have forgot When She Was My Girl, one of the top 10 hits of all Four Top songs. The Tops had the best post career of any artist that was with Motown, Keeper of the Castle, Tonight and Indestructible are tremendous albums.
Actually, I would say Spinners and Gladys Knight & the Pips have had bigger post-Motown career success stories, but yes, Four Tops did have some excellent Post-Motown tunes - "Ain't No Woman [[Like The One I've Got)" for one is in my opinion, one of their all-time most timelessly enduring, because it universally speaks well in representing men's love / appreciation for their women.

jobeterob
03-03-2014, 05:06 AM
Actually, I would say Spinners and Gladys Knight & the Pips have had bigger post-Motown career success stories, but yes, Four Tops did have some excellent Post-Motown tunes - "Ain't No Woman [[Like The One I've Got)" for one is in my opinion, one of their all-time most timelessly enduring, because it universally speaks well in representing men's love / appreciation for their women.

Michael Jackson ???

roger
03-03-2014, 05:19 AM

THE ISLEY BROTHERS did quite well "Post-Motown" as well :)

Roger

mysterysinger
03-03-2014, 06:08 AM
"The Good Lord Knows" is one of my all time fave Tops tracks. Suspect it's cos I tend to prefer their more mellow work - "Do What You Gotta Do" vies for number 1 along with "Ask The Lonely". But "I Can't Help Myself" always strikes home too!

soulster
03-03-2014, 02:04 PM
Actually, I would say Spinners and Gladys Knight & the Pips have had bigger post-Motown career success stories,

This is very true! Motown, for the most part, put Gladys Knight & The Pips and The Four Tops on the sidelines in the late 60s and early 70s, which caused them both the leave. It was about creative control too. Both groups wanted to branch out, and they just couldn't do that within the confines of Motown's paternal grip.

soulster
03-03-2014, 02:06 PM
THE ISLEY BROTHERS did quite well "Post-Motown" as well :)

Roger Yup! There's a long list of artists who left Motown because of creative differences, including The Isley Brothers, The Jackson 5 [[except Jermaine), the aformentioned Four Tops and Gladys Knight & The Pips, The Four Seasons [[yup), and, later, Diana Ross.