PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Feb 25, 9P-12M ET: Back In The Saddle Again-TCMS 1967!!

test

midnight johnny
02-25-2014, 12:14 PM
Howdy, Pardners! After an amazing show last week with the indomitable Tata Vega and the tireless Andy Skurow, we are back on track with the Complete Motown Singles Collection for the year 1967!! We will get this collection completed....or pass out trying! And a big fat thanks to Bobby Gardner....SDF's rossholloway...for making this show possible by sharing with us 75% of the tracks that you have heard or will be hearing. Join me tonight for all this and more....on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and we are streaming live worldwide at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org) Thanks!! John

sophisticated_soul
02-25-2014, 06:18 PM
I thought Andy and Tata were going to come back for part 2!!!!:[[ I can dream can't I:) That was a fabulous interview John. The three of you together took the Nightflight interview to a whole new level. Tata was so inspirational.
Looking forward to joining you and the gang tonight for the ongoing, continuing, never ending, memory making, happy feeling, tour of the MoTown singles.:cool:

midnight johnny
02-25-2014, 07:34 PM
Joe...thank you, my friend! Part 2 would be so nice...but our Tata must rest up for her Oscar appearance. And as far as TCMS? Onward and upward....1967 is truly a very good year!See ya later...Gator!

Glenpwood
02-25-2014, 08:02 PM
Looking forward to tonights show. Its hard to follow Tata Vega so slipping back into some classic 1967 Motown is really the best course of action to take! See everyone here at nine......

midnight johnny
02-25-2014, 08:12 PM
Looking forward to tonights show. Its hard to follow Tata Vega so slipping back into some classic 1967 Motown is really the best course of action to take! See everyone here at nine......Good Evening, Mr. Wood! Glad you'll be here!

midnight johnny
02-25-2014, 09:58 PM
Howdeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....in the studio!!!

MotownLover
02-25-2014, 10:00 PM
Howdeeeeeeee 2 ya 2!

Back to "The Sound of Young America" of 1967!

Howard in Long Beach, CA :cool:

144man
02-25-2014, 10:02 PM
Sorry I couldn't be with you last week for Tata Vega, but it's Full Speed Ahead this week for 1967.

supremester
02-25-2014, 10:02 PM
HOWDEE Y'ALL...........And especially to JP and Rossholloway for making 1967 happen tonight........... I wouldn't change the men you are!

supremester
02-25-2014, 10:06 PM
These Love Bug verses are so eloquent - I always forget that wayward breeze.........

midnight johnny
02-25-2014, 10:13 PM
Howdeeeeeeee 2 ya 2!

Back to "The Sound of Young America" of 1967!

Howard in Long Beach, CA :cool:

Great to see you, Howard in Long Beach, CA [[*wink)

midnight johnny
02-25-2014, 10:15 PM
Sorry I couldn't be with you last week for Tata Vega, but it's Full Speed Ahead this week for 1967.

Martin....a pleasure to see you....thanks for staying up for us and the music!!

midnight johnny
02-25-2014, 10:16 PM
HOWDEE Y'ALL...........And especially to JP and Rossholloway for making 1967 happen tonight........... I wouldn't change the men you are!

Very sweet of you, Gregg....great to see you...and not just because of the compliments [[*grin)!

carole cucumber
02-25-2014, 10:17 PM
I wonder how the Jack Soo demo to this instrumental tracks sounds?

midnight johnny
02-25-2014, 10:22 PM
I wonder how the Jack Soo demo to this instrumental tracks sounds?

HUHHHHHHHHHHH? Hi there, Carol!!

carole cucumber
02-25-2014, 10:26 PM
HUHHHHHHHHHHH? Hi there, Carol!!

Jack Soo, of 'Barney Miller' fame, sang a demo version of "For Once In My Life" over the same instrumental track that was later used for Barbara McNair's version.

supremester
02-25-2014, 10:28 PM
And I'm with you, John: Brenda's version 10000%

carole cucumber
02-25-2014, 10:30 PM
Those Motown Music Machine karaoke cd's were great, weren't they? You always work such wonders using them. It's a shame that they weren't continued.

midnight johnny
02-25-2014, 10:30 PM
Jack Soo, of 'Barney Miller' fame, sang a demo version of "For Once In My Life" over the same instrumental track that was later used for Barbara McNair's version.

Wowwwwwwwwwwww......now that's a true nugget! Thanks Carole!!!

Glenpwood
02-25-2014, 10:33 PM
Beautiful extension of YMMSVH John....

carole cucumber
02-25-2014, 10:36 PM
As Brenda has been quoted as saying that she found out too late that Berry Gordy was planning to prep her for Las Vegas, your extended version of "YMMSVH" would have been a fantastic opening song for Brenda's debut there.

carole cucumber
02-25-2014, 10:38 PM
The libretto said nothing about backgrounds for "YMMSVH" but Brenda's voice is definitely in the background as well as out front.

midnight johnny
02-25-2014, 10:44 PM
Those Motown Music Machine karaoke cd's were great, weren't they? You always work such wonders using them. It's a shame that they weren't continued.

Carole.....from your lips to God's ear!!!!

supremester
02-25-2014, 10:44 PM
Harvey Fuqua told me Your precious Love was his fave record with Tammi and among the sides he was most proud of [[another, Just A Lonely Christmas - he was so happy to hear me rant about that just released cut.)

midnight johnny
02-25-2014, 10:45 PM
The libretto said nothing about backgrounds for "YMMSVH" but Brenda's voice is definitely in the background as well as out front.
Thanks, Carole...Brenda did that quite often....and was great as a background...she KNEW how to blend!

RossHolloway
02-25-2014, 11:02 PM
I definitely prefer CC's version to the Miracles version.

Glenpwood
02-25-2014, 11:07 PM
Does anyone think Berry gave Diana Chris' 45 of Beginning Of The End To study or, if they were on the road, did he just unlock the door to the adjoining hotel suite and tell Chris to sing it for her......;)

supremester
02-25-2014, 11:15 PM
My friend Geoff is a new listener and he was with me when I interviewed Gil Askey in 1988 - amazing night! AND he sang BG for Martha when she needed a Vandella bad and he just happened to have the attire!

midnight johnny
02-25-2014, 11:16 PM
Does anyone think Berry gave Diana Chris' 45 of Beginning Of The End To study or, if they were on the road, did he just unlock the door to the adjoining hotel suite and tell Chris to sing it for her......;)

Glen...Glen....Glen........I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

midnight johnny
02-25-2014, 11:19 PM
My friend Geoff is a new listener and he was with me when I interviewed Gil Askey in 1988 - amazing night!

Wow......was it for radio or publication?

supremester
02-25-2014, 11:41 PM
The interview was for my own knowledge but I published most of it in Reach Out! I published akll of my interviews except Harvey. Geoff sang bg for Martha twice, btw - I forgot one time in jeans, one time quite fetching in an evening gown.

144man
02-25-2014, 11:42 PM
I've never enjoyed "I'm Wondering" that much before. Brilliant extended version!

supremester
02-25-2014, 11:46 PM
I also interviewed Cholly, Mrs Powell, Nick Martinelli [[a fave solo producer) but Gil was so......just a very lovely man and a dream come true for me.

midnight johnny
02-25-2014, 11:46 PM
The interview was for my own knowledge but I published most of it in Reach Out! I published akll of my interviews except Harvey. Geoff sang bg for Martha twice, btw - I forgot one time in jeans, one time quite fetching in an evening gown.

Very impressive!! Any way you can make the interviews available to us drooling Motown fans, Gregg?

midnight johnny
02-25-2014, 11:47 PM
I've never enjoyed "I'm Wondering" that much before. Brilliant extended version!

Thank you, Martin....much appreciated!!!

sophisticated_soul
02-25-2014, 11:56 PM
It's Time To Go Now - One of my all time favorite Gladys/Pips songs. I played that b-side into the ground. What a beautiful song. I always thought it would have made a great Supremes' song.:cool:

supremester
02-26-2014, 12:03 AM
I will send you copies of the newsletters with the interviews, JP - I somehow thought you had read them. I think I have them all still......I 'll look. Plus, I need to get Harvey out there. He had a fair amount of non complimentary things to say about certain individuals and I felt it would cause unhappiness to put it out in the newsletter, but also not true to his intent to censor his heartfelt thoughts about subjects that he clearly was passionate about.
Harvey ran the Copa rehearsals and worked with Gil & Cholly on content and presentation. He also discovered Tammi and loved her also.

sophisticated_soul
02-26-2014, 12:03 AM
You're right John, "It's Time To Go Now" could have been one of those songs that everybody at Motown recorded. Brenda would have been perfect and likewise Mary Wells.:cool:

supremester
02-26-2014, 12:04 AM
Is this awesome Grapevine on Youtube, Johnny?

supremester
02-26-2014, 12:09 AM
My friend Geoff is not a member here yet, but he is LOVING these Grapvines and just asked if there is a mashup of the two............yet?

midnight johnny
02-26-2014, 12:09 AM
I will send you copies of the newsletters with the interviews, JP - I somehow thought you had read them. I think I have them all still......I 'll look. Plus, I need to get Harvey out there. He had a fair amount of non complimentary things to say about certain individuals and I felt it would cause unhappiness to put it out in the newsletter, but also not true to his intent to censor his heartfelt thoughts about subjects that he clearly was passionate about.
Harvey ran the Copa rehearsals and worked with Gil & Cholly on content and presentation. He also discovered Tammi and loved her also.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Gregg!!!

midnight johnny
02-26-2014, 12:11 AM
My friend Geoff is not a member here yet, but he is LOVING these Grapvines and just asked if there is a mashup of the two............yet?

Ohhhhhhhhhh....I don't think I can....the backings and tempos are sooooooooo different. Someone else that has more guts than I have might mash them.....oy.....mashed grapevines......

144man
02-26-2014, 12:19 AM
I saw Edwin Starr performing in a London club called Tiles in 1966. I didn't know he was a Motown artist then...and nor did he!

supremester
02-26-2014, 12:19 AM
Have you thought of mixing Gladys & Marvin? Sounds like a good idea and if anyone can do it, you can!

supremester
02-26-2014, 12:21 AM
Supremes '67: Love Is Here, The Happening, Reflections and In & Out of Love.

midnight johnny
02-26-2014, 12:22 AM
Supremes '67: Love Is Here, The Happening, Reflections and In & Out of Love.

Ooooops!!!!! Thank you sir!!!

midnight johnny
02-26-2014, 12:23 AM
Have you thought of mixing Gladys & Marvin? Sounds like a good idea and if anyone can do it, you can!

Gregg...see my post a few posts above.....

supremester
02-26-2014, 12:25 AM
Harvey tidbit: i asked him if he thought Tammi would have, health permitting, been a good replacement for Miss Ross [[I thought she'd be ideal). Answer: an emphatic "NO" ....followed by several similar negs. He said she was not group material - and knew it. Also, he intimated the work load of the lead singer of The Supremes was not what he wished on his precious Tammi.

MotownLover
02-26-2014, 12:25 AM
Oh how well I recall this particular year...I was all of 16 years old and a MoTown-addict BIG TIME! Played those 45s, both sides, almost wearing them out, many of which I had to buy second copies of for this very reason. Oh, those were the days... uhmm...

Howard in Long Beach, CA ;)

sophisticated_soul
02-26-2014, 12:27 AM
Gregg, I still have 11 different issues of Reach Out! Do you recall how many there were total?

midnight johnny
02-26-2014, 12:30 AM
Harvey tidbit: i asked him if he thought Tammi would have, health permitting, been a good replacement for Miss Ross [[I thought she'd be ideal). Answer: an emphatic "NO" ....followed by several similar negs. He said she was not group material - and knew it. Also, he intimated the work load of the lead singer of The Supremes was not what he wished on his precious Tammi.

I totally agree with him. I never thought Tammi being a Supreme would make sense.

midnight johnny
02-26-2014, 12:33 AM
Gregg, I still have 11 different issues of Reach Out! Do you recall how many there were total?

I Love it! The Di-anagram!!!

midnight johnny
02-26-2014, 12:35 AM
Oh how well I recall this particular year...I was all of 16 years old and a MoTown-addict BIG TIME! Played those 45s, both sides, almost wearing them out, many of which I had to buy second copies of for this very reason. Oh, those were the days... uhmm...

Howard in Long Beach, CA ;)

Yes.......................I remember.......

Glenpwood
02-26-2014, 12:38 AM
I tend to fall In And Out Of Love with this song but this version definitely puts me back in love with it again!

supremester
02-26-2014, 12:38 AM
Wow, Joseph - I had forgotten about this naughty cover....Thanks for posting this! .I can't remember how many there were but I'm sure you got them all. I need to check out my stash. I really loved doing the fan club. It achieved my goal of getting Rossers in touch with each other - look at the friendships!

sophisticated_soul
02-26-2014, 12:39 AM
And of course "Reach Out!" issue No. 1

supremester
02-26-2014, 12:41 AM
You were technically correct: The Supremes had 2 releases.......Diana Ross & The Supremes had 2 as well ; )
Ooooops!!!!! Thank you sir!!!

midnight johnny
02-26-2014, 12:42 AM
I tend to fall In And Out Of Love with this song but this version definitely puts me back in love with it again!

Thank you, Glen!

Remember how pretty she and the girls were doing this on Ed Sullivan? Sooooo pretty!!!!

sophisticated_soul
02-26-2014, 12:42 AM
Wow, Joseph - I had forgotten about this naughty cover....Thanks for posting this! .I can't remember how many there were but I'm sure you got them all. I need to check out my stash. I really loved doing the fan club. It achieved my goal of getting Rossers in touch with each other - look at the friendships!

It was a great Experience, Gregg. I was always very proud to be part of it.:)

midnight johnny
02-26-2014, 12:51 AM
Well....thank you all for a terrific time and a great show....what would I do without you? I don't want to know! Have a great week and weekend, sweet folks!!!

supremester
02-26-2014, 12:57 AM
Great show! TY! Goodnight All!

supremester
02-26-2014, 12:58 AM
XO
QUOTE=sophisticated_soul;214537]It was a great Experience, Gregg. I was always very proud to be part of it.:)[/QUOTE]

sophisticated_soul
02-26-2014, 12:59 AM
MoTown '67 has been heaven, can't wait for MoTown '68. Thanks John.:) Thanks all.:)
See y'all next time.:cool:

supremester
02-26-2014, 01:00 AM
Ijust saw this - this was #1? OMG Im getting senile......but I can see it was #1 - I increased the weight of the paper because I could see the type through it and I wanted a nicer feel.....LOL.........that pic ; )
And of course "Reach Out!" issue No. 1

keith_hughes
03-02-2014, 07:43 PM
Just noticed your post on this thread on 26 Feb, Carole. And I'm not sure that you're right, I think maybe Barbara's track was cut at Hitsville in Oct 1965. As far as I can see, the band track for the very first version was cut in LA, and the very first overdub was done by Connie Haines in Jul 1965. Jack Soo did a later overdub on the same track.

Don't think Connie Haines' version has ever been released. Maybe we ought to dig it out for Motown Girls Volume 2, what d'you think? At least then we'll know whether Barbara used the same track as Connie!

carole cucumber
03-03-2014, 02:19 PM
[QUOTE=keith_hughes;215192]Just noticed your post on this thread on 26 Feb, Carole. And I'm not sure that you're right, I think maybe Barbara's track was cut at Hitsville in Oct 1965. As far as I can see, the band track for the very first version was cut in LA, and the very first overdub was done by Connie Haines in Jul 1965. Jack Soo did a later overdub on the same track.

Hi Keith,

Your observation brings up a very point... How does one make corrections [[without damaging the look or continuity of essays, notes, etc.) to TCMSC now that it has been
completed?
Andy Skurow raised a similar thought recently on internet radio.
I quoted information from pg 68 of Vol 7: 1967 , which states "McNair's version uses Soo's original band track."
You have obviously since discovered that Jack Soo recorded his demo to Connie Haine's L.A. version and not to Barbara's Detroit track as stated in TCMSC.
Any suggestions as to how one might make the appropriate correction would be welcomed.

keith_hughes
03-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Two separate points here. [[1) I'm not saying TCMS is wrong. What I said was that, going just from the paperwork, I'm not sure you're right! I don't recall whether I wrote that bit for V7, maybe someone who had listened to the Soo track [[Harry or Andy?) added the point at editing time. I will try and find out the correct answer, and get back to you. [[2) It's Universal's decision how correx to TCMS are to be published - if they are. I have a partial list, but it relates chiefly to the audio rather than the words. A web page has been suggested as the medium, seeded by us but then open to all. However, such a site would need a Moderator ... ask Ralph how much time he spends reading all we write! Hmm. I'm not sure I'd be up for that task.

supremester
03-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Keith, do you know if they plan to correct the use of the album version they used of I'm Still Waiting instead of the single?

carole cucumber
03-03-2014, 08:14 PM
Two separate points here. [[1) I'm not saying TCMS is wrong. What I said was that, going just from the paperwork, I'm not sure you're right! I don't recall whether I wrote that bit for V7, maybe someone who had listened to the Soo track [[Harry or Andy?) added the point at editing time. I will try and find out the correct answer, and get back to you. What a most unique way to word the issue... perhaps it's culturally based [[U.K. vs. U.S. interpretation).I've heard neither the Connie Haines nor Jack Soo version. My interjection into the Barbara McNair discussion was based on information given in TCMSC. If what I said was not right, it is because the information provided by your wonderful team was not right either.Whatever the case might be, it would be good to hear the Connie Haines track on Motown Girls 2. And although it may be outside of the time frame used for Vol 1, might you expand it to 1970, and include an early Jean Terrell & Andantes/Jean Terrell, Mary & Cindy track? My suggestion would be "That's How Much You Made Me Love You".

keith_hughes
03-04-2014, 04:53 AM
Carole, I should have said "I'm not sure THAT'S right" rather than "I'm not sure you're right". My apols for making it appear you were in the wrong. My bad phrasing.

Supermeister, I have no idea re "I'm Still Waiting".

keith_hughes
03-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Carole, I've now researched this more thoroughly, and I am pleased to tell you that TCMS7 is right, you are right, my comments above were wrong.

Connie Haines cut the first version in Detroit - dubbing in her vocals on a band track cut in California. Jack Soo cut a demo in Detroit, and then a proper version in LA, using a different band track to the one Connie was given. Barbara McNair dubbed her vocals onto Jack Soo's band track, although Jack's was mixed [[to mono) and is available and useable.

Once again, my apologies for commenting before checking carefully. Connie's version is well worth hearing, and I will suggest it for Motown Girls 2 - if and when we get around to it! There are other projects in the queue ahead of it, waiting for release. I haven't heard "That's How Much You Made Me Love You", though I see it's available on tape in a stereo mix. But of course, Andy Skurow may have plans for that one!

carole cucumber
03-10-2014, 11:00 PM
Keith,
Thank you for the research.
So, Motown Girls 2 is only in the planning stage.
If memory serves me right, you revealed a while back that the next Motown/Ace/Kent release would be comprised of 50% released/50% unreleased [[perhaps Motown Guys 1?)
followed by a 100% unreleased cd.
A Motown release should have moved further up in the queue as the second quarter of 2014 is coming swiftly upon us.
I'll pray for patience until then.