PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson in London today

test

mwmr
02-24-2014, 07:11 PM
Just back from a fabulous afternoon with Mary. A Q&A followed by a set of songs that I had only seen on the up close at the plush rooms DVD . Thrilled to finally here these live. Strange Fruit was outstanding!
awesome show from a classy lady

marv2
02-24-2014, 07:13 PM
Oh that is great! I have on video Mary performing "Strange Fruit" from her Constitution Hall concert in D.C. in 1993. She does an outstanding job of it.

marv2
02-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Mary Wilson is listed among the best entertainment offerings in the Birmingham [[UK) Mail newspaper:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/whats-birmingham-february-24-25-6740090

She is performing her "Upclose" Concert which is superb......

marv2
02-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Here's a snippet of Queen Mary in London signing autographs. Yep, looks like her concert is sold out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQS-gUPe8rw

marv2
02-25-2014, 12:40 AM
Just back from a fabulous afternoon with Mary. A Q&A followed by a set of songs that I had only seen on the up close at the plush rooms DVD . Thrilled to finally here these live. Strange Fruit was outstanding!
awesome show from a classy lady

mwmr, did Mary sing my favorite of her "Up Close" concerts? Did she sing "New York State of Mind"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY5-lklIXe0

supremester
02-25-2014, 01:30 AM
It's great that her show has been selected as among the best for Feb 24 & 25- especially so far from home.:
TODAY MUSIC
Jam Jah Reggae Session: The Bulls Head, St Marys Row, Moseley. 0121 449 0586.
Radkey, Turbogeist, Lyger: Hare & Hounds, High St, Kings Heath. 0121 444 2081.
Football ETC, Papermoons, George Gadd, The Blue Period: Scruffy Murphys, Dale End. 0121 236 2035.
Chris Mills & The Distant Stars: Hare & Hounds, High St, Kings Heath. 0121 444 2081.
The Roadhouse Open Mic Night: The RoadHouse, Birmingham. 0121 246 2273.
Early Music Ensembles: Bramall Music Building, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston. 0121 414 8861.
University of Warwick Wind Orchestra concert with guests Warwick Community Band and Belles of Three Spires Barbershop Chorus: Warwick Arts Centre, Coventry. 02476 524524.
Rob Heron & The Tea Pad Orchestra: Kitchen Garden Cafe, York Rd, Kings Heath. 0121 443 4725.
The Tierra Buena Jazz Band: The Green Lane Ex-Service Club, Beanfield Ave, Coventry.
Traditional Irish Music: The Spotted Dog, Warwick St, Birmingham. 0121 772 3822.
Dave Webber, Anni Fentiman, Colin Squire and Martin Bushnell: Warwick Folk Club, Warwick Arms, High St, Warwick.
01527 401121.
COMEDY
Comedy Night: The RoadHouse, Birmingham. 0121 246 2273.
TALKS
Monday Lecture: Birmingham and Midland Institute. 0121 236 3591.
A Little Gay History: The Barber Institute, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston. 0121 414 7333.
THEATRE
The Perfect Murder: Belgrade Theatre, Coventry, until March 1. 02476 553055.
Loot: Highbury Little Theatre, Sutton Coldfield, until March 1. 0121 373 2761.
Bring up the Bodies: Swan Theatre, Stratford upon Avon, until March 29. 0844 800 1110.
Tonight’s the Night: New Alexandra Theatre, Birmingham, until March 1. 0844 871 3011.
TOMORROW
MUSIC
Foxes: The Institute, Digbeth High Street, Birmingham. 0121 643 0428.
Rudimental: Civic Hall, Wolverhampton. 0870 320 7000.
Soulfly: O2 Academy 2, Horsefair, Birmingham. 0844 77 2000.
The Acoustic Sessions: The Jam House, Birmingham. 0121 200 3030.
Ultimate Rhythm & Blues: Symphony Hall, Birmingham. 0121 780 3333.
Atlas, Capital Sun, Surf, Deaf Inspector: The Actress & Bishop, Ludgate Hill, Birmingham. 0121 236 7426.
The Monolith Deathcult: Asylum, Hampton St, Hockley. 0121 233 1109.
Choir of New College Oxford: St Mary’s Church, Warwick. 01926 776438.
Pavel Haas Quartet with clarinettist Matthew Hunt: Town Hall, Birmingham. 0121 780 3333.
Solihull Music Service presents Brass Blast: Warwick Arts Centre, Coventry. 02476 524524.
Jazz Tuesdays: Robbie Moore Quintet: The Spotted Dog, Warwick St, Birmingham. 0121 772 3822.
Up Close with Mary Wilson of The Supremes: The Drum, Potters Lane, Aston. 0121 333 2444.

New Orleans Wanders with Stan Stephens: Bournville Working Mens Social Club, Mary Vale Rd, Birmingham. 0121 608 5556.
David Fisher, Heritage, Lionel Street Players: The Yardbird, Paradise Place, Birmingham. 0121 212 2524.
COMEDY
The Giggling Girder Club: The Church Inn, Great Hampton St, Hockley. 0751 546 0175.
Paul Chowdhry: Glee Club, Birmingham. 0871 472 0400.
Cheeky Monkey Comedy Club: The Cross, Alcester Rd, Moseley. 0121 449 4445.
DANCE
The Prince of The Pagodas: Birmingham Hippodrome, until March 1. 0844 338 5000.
TALKS
Tuesday Tour- Housekeeping the Hall: Blakesely Hall, Yardley. 0121 464 2193.
Tuesday Talks: Birmingham Cathedral. 0121 262 1840.
THEATRE
State of Emergency presents Love and Sex: Arena Theatre. Wolverhampton. 01902 321321.
Eternal Love: Wolverhampton Grand, until March 1. 01902 429212.
Twelfth Night: Warwick Arts Centre, Coventry, until March 1. 02476 524524.
The Perfect Murder: Belgrade Theatre, Coventry, until March 1. 02476 553055.
Loot: Highbury Little Theatre, Sutton Coldfield, until March 1. 0121 373 2761.
Wendy and Peter Pan: Royal Shakespeare Theatre, Stratford upon Avon, until March 2. 0844 800 1110.
Wolf Hall: Swan Theatre, Stratford upon Avon, until March 29. 0844 800 1110.
EVENTS
Summerfield Community Coffee Morning: Memorial Hall, Gillott Rd, Birmingham, 10am.
Over 50s Tai-Chi: Oddingley Hall, Oddingley Rd, West Heath, 12 noon. 07966 246402.
Housekeeping the Hall: Blakesley Hall, Yardley.
EXHIBITIONS
Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, Chamberlain Square, Birmingham: Photorealism, European retrospective of showcasing key works from 1960s to present, until March 30. Staffordshire Hoard, until December 31. Mapping My Journey, a celebration of the history, heritage and personal stories of the Birmingham transgender community, until March 16. For the Record, works by celebrated and lesser known female artists, until June 29. New Art West Midlands, works by Midlands graduates, until May 18. Grayson Perry: The Vanity of Small Differences, six tapestries exploring the artist’s fascination with taste, until May 11. Permanent collection. 0121 303 2834.
Barber Institute of Fine Arts, University of Birmingham: Faith & Fortune, visualising the Divine on Byzantine and Early Islamic coinage, until November 30. Family Circles, British Portrait Miniatures of Children and Families, works from two English family collections, until May 26. New Art West Midlands, works by recent Midlands graduates, until April 27. 0121 414 7333.
Ikon Gallery, Oozells Square, Brindley Place, Birmingham: Saddam is Here, photographs and film by Jamal Penjweny, from Iraqui Kurdistan, until April 21. Ikon icons: John Salt, paintings, prints and sculptures from before his photorealist career, both until April 21. 3 Drawing Rooms, on-site wall drawings by David Tremlett, until April 21. 0121 248 0708.
mac, Cannon Hill Park, Birmingham: David Rowan: The Dark River, pictures charting the River Rea in Birmingham, until April 27. Walk On: works by various artists who create art by taking a walk, until March 30. 0121 446 3232.
RBSA Gallery Brook St, Birmingham: Shenac Rogerson, linoprint solo show, until March 8. Melting Pot craft exhibition, celebrating multi-cultural Britain, until April 5. Peter Wareing, ceramics influenced by Scottish nature, until March 22. 0121 236 4353.
Artrix, Slideslow Drive, Bromsgrove: Proud, photographs by Jeremy Williams, until March 2. 01527 577330.
Bilston Craft Gallery, Mount Pleasant, Wolverhampton: Craftsense, Bilston enamels, until December 31. At Passion’s Edge, exploration in sculpture and imagery of Latin verb ‘devio’, by Sid Turner, until March 8. Raw Craft: Fine Thinking in Contemporary Furniture, works by seven designers, until March 29. Spring Showcase, ceramics, textiles, homewares and jewellery, until May 10. 01902 552507.
The New Art Gallery, Gallery Square, Walsall: George Grosz: The Big No, satirical drawings about the Weimar Republic from Ecce Homo and Hintergrund series, until March 16. Dorothea Wight and Marc Balakjian, celebration of the work of the artists and printmakers, until April 15. Back to Front: 40 Permanent Collection Gems, items on show to mark 40thanniversary of opening of Garman Ryan Collection, until November 16. Dialogues, solo exhibition of installations, drawings and films by Japanese artist Chiharu Shiota, until March 30. Permanent collection. 01922 654400.
Wolverhampton Art Gallery, Lichfield St, Wolverhampton: Shakti: Nikhil Chopra, performance, painting and photography about personal histories, until April 5. A Big Bang: The Origins of the Pop Art Collection, Part 1, until June 21. Junction 5, works by five very different local artists, until March 8. New Art West Midlands, works by Midlands graduates, until May 10. 01902 552040.

Mary Wilson is listed among the best entertainment offerings in the Birmingham [[UK) Mail newspaper:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/whats-birmingham-february-24-25-6740090

She is performing her "Upclose" Concert which is superb......

supremester
02-25-2014, 05:09 AM
Click here to hear Radio Commercial For Mary

https://uk.patronbase.com/_TheDrum/Productions/AMW/Performances

markdtiller
02-25-2014, 08:03 AM
Didn't know anything about this! It's not on her website. Very annoying. Does anybody know if she is she doing any other UK dates - London especially.

marv2
02-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Didn't know anything about this! It's not on her website. Very annoying. Does anybody know if she is she doing any other UK dates - London especially.

Mark, she is performing in Birmingham [[ I know that is quite a distance from London.....)

For tickets call the box office on 0121 333 2444, or book online at www.the-drum.org.uk .

mwmr
02-25-2014, 09:34 AM

I only found about about it last Sunday as it wasn't on the website but mentioned briefly on Mary's facebook.

I mentioned to her it was all a bit last minute [[ I called in sick to work tut tut).She said the 2 gis - London & Birmingham [[which are the only ones) were organized last minute at the request of the US Embassy to celebrate black history month.

she may be back later in the year touring with Bill Whyman again.No news on the HDH solo cd..still delayed.Discussions ongoing bout contracts for a Vegas residency.I also asked about the possibilty of a reissue of her solo motown album especially in light of Partners being re-issued and she said she got the impression the high up's [[not Andy S she said!) didn't seem keen!

markdtiller
02-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Thanks to both of you above for the info - when was/is the London one mwmr?

milven
02-25-2014, 09:58 AM

One of the SDF members used to take care of Mary's site and did a good job of keeping it updated. But, now I don't know who Mary has updating it, but some events are not listed until after the fact. Maybe the webmaster is not given the info in a timely manner. That used to happen way back in the day with Webby Bob. Remember him ? He once asked what DRATS were. ;)

Here is a recent event in UK: The article says her new album, Life’s Been Good To Me, is out now. Is this really out in the UK, or is it the ala "coming out soon" hype that we get in the states?

Louise Jury, Chief Arts Correspondent
Published: 25 February 2014
Former Supreme Mary Wilson has urged London teenagers to “dare to dream” in an inspiring speech at the Tricycle theatre in Kilburn.

The singer, who began her career when segregation still existed in the US, said every generation had obstacles to overcome and neither era nor background mattered.

Her audience came from East Barnet School, Harris City Academy in Crystal Palace and Mulberry School for Girls in Tower Hamlets.

She told them: “What is important first of all is you must dare to dream and then you’ve got to work hard to make this dream come true.

“You can be very talented and very creative, but it doesn’t mean you’re going to make it to the top — not just in entertainment but anybody from doctors to lawyers.”

Wilson, who turns 70 next week, continued: “When we started singing in 1959 we were Afro-Americans and we were girls. There was the law that we were not citizens. We had to fight all of those stigmas.”

There had been huge advances in civil rights since then, she said. “But there is always something that you have to overcome. And as the former First Lady Hillary Clinton said, there’s a glass ceiling still for women.”

She said some of her fondest memories of singing with the Supremes were in London at venues such as Talk of the Town. “I look back and see how many better singers there were than us,’” she said. “But I knew we were special. I became one whole person with the other Supremes.”
http://www.standard.co.uk/incoming/article9151329.ece/ALTERNATES/w620/Mary+Wilson.jpg

She gave full credit to youngsters who won fame through TV talent shows, but warned they might not have the experience to survive. And she said young people needed to remember “people suffered, people died, to make them as comfortable as they are today”.

Wilson’s visit was organised by the US State Department for Black History Month. Her new album, Life’s Been Good To Me, is out now.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/dare-to-dream-pupils-get-supreme-life-lessons-from-motown-legend-mary-wilson-9151311.html

markdtiller
02-25-2014, 10:10 AM
Found it now!

http://www.ents24.com/london-events/tricycle-theatre/mary-wilson/3751526

OMG the Tricycle Theatre in Kilburn is about 20 minutes from me! I go and see plays and films there regularly. I had no idea this was on. I am fuming!

marybrewster
02-25-2014, 10:18 AM
He once asked what DRATS were.

LOL. I remember that. Oye.

Does anyone recall when "Life's Been Good to Me" [[the single) was released? Seems like it's been a few years.

milven
02-25-2014, 10:58 AM
He once asked what DRATS were.

LOL. I remember that. Oye.

Does anyone recall when "Life's Been Good to Me" [[the single) was released? Seems like it's been a few years.

It has been a few years. "Life's Been Good to Me" was released in 2011 and I remember "Darling Mother [[Johnnie Mae)" being released around Mother's Day - or just after Mother's Day, last year. Perfect timing. :[[

Roberta75
02-25-2014, 08:08 PM
One of the SDF members used to take care of Mary's site and did a good job of keeping it updated. But, now I don't know who Mary has updating it, but some events are not listed until after the fact. Maybe the webmaster is not given the info in a timely manner. That used to happen way back in the day with Webby Bob. Remember him ? He once asked what DRATS were. ;)

Here is a recent event in UK: The article says her new album, Life’s Been Good To Me, is out now. Is this really out in the UK, or is it the ala "coming out soon" hype that we get in the states?

Louise Jury, Chief Arts Correspondent
Published: 25 February 2014
Former Supreme Mary Wilson has urged London teenagers to “dare to dream” in an inspiring speech at the Tricycle theatre in Kilburn.

The singer, who began her career when segregation still existed in the US, said every generation had obstacles to overcome and neither era nor background mattered.

Her audience came from East Barnet School, Harris City Academy in Crystal Palace and Mulberry School for Girls in Tower Hamlets.

She told them: “What is important first of all is you must dare to dream and then you’ve got to work hard to make this dream come true.

“You can be very talented and very creative, but it doesn’t mean you’re going to make it to the top — not just in entertainment but anybody from doctors to lawyers.”

Wilson, who turns 70 next week, continued: “When we started singing in 1959 we were Afro-Americans and we were girls. There was the law that we were not citizens. We had to fight all of those stigmas.”

There had been huge advances in civil rights since then, she said. “But there is always something that you have to overcome. And as the former First Lady Hillary Clinton said, there’s a glass ceiling still for women.”

She said some of her fondest memories of singing with the Supremes were in London at venues such as Talk of the Town. “I look back and see how many better singers there were than us,’” she said. “But I knew we were special. I became one whole person with the other Supremes.”
http://www.standard.co.uk/incoming/article9151329.ece/ALTERNATES/w620/Mary+Wilson.jpg

She gave full credit to youngsters who won fame through TV talent shows, but warned they might not have the experience to survive. And she said young people needed to remember “people suffered, people died, to make them as comfortable as they are today”.

Wilson’s visit was organised by the US State Department for Black History Month. Her new album, Life’s Been Good To Me, is out now.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/dare-to-dream-pupils-get-supreme-life-lessons-from-motown-legend-mary-wilson-9151311.html

Well it sure do look like Mary's new album has been released in England but I can't find it on amazon. Can anyone confirm if this articles correct please.

fondly,

Roberta

milven
02-25-2014, 09:14 PM
Well it sure do look like Mary's new album has been released in England but I can't find it on amazon. Can anyone confirm if this articles correct please.

fondly,

Roberta

I just checked on Amazon.UK and another site and it doesn't seem to be released yet. Hopefully, the writer did not get the info from Mary, who has been known to misrepresent the release date for the last ten years

smark21
02-25-2014, 09:31 PM
Maybe the writer confused single with album? Or Mary was deliberately vague?

mwmr
02-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Maybe the writer confused single with album? Or Mary was deliberately vague?

Life's been good to me was played prior to Mary entering the stage in London.She referenced it from the stage as her new track.
The above photo with the children was taken as soon as she entered the stage infront of the audience.

In the Q&A i posed a question to Mary asking for an update on the solo cd and she said it had been 'delayed'.

She made no reference to it being released while on stage,neither did she when i discussed it with her after the show.

I suspect the journalist was either getting the single mixed up with an album or generally being lazy and not checking their facts!!!

REDHOT
02-26-2014, 11:04 AM
Ok people know i love Mary Wilson,even i don't think that album is ever coming out lol,and it don't matter to me

milven
02-26-2014, 11:07 AM
Life's been good to me was played prior to Mary entering the stage in London.She referenced it from the stage as her new track.

It does make a good entrance track for her , because it is kind of biographical, but the single is two years old, and Darling Mother is newer.

In the Q&A i posed a question to Mary asking for an update on the solo cd and she said it had been 'delayed'.

Since fans have been hearing this for ten years, that statement could be considered an understatement. I've seem Patti LaBelle and Aretha doing the same thing, so she's in good company.

She made no reference to it being released while on stage,neither did she when i discussed it with her after the show.

In a way, that is good news. As a fan, I always cringe when she states that she is putting the final touches on the CD and it will be out soon. After hearing that for ten years, I can't be blamed for being pessimistic about the release.

I suspect the journalist was either getting the single mixed up with an album or generally being lazy and not checking their facts!!!

I suspect the same

Roberta75
02-26-2014, 11:46 AM
It does make a good entrance track for her , because it is kind of biographical, but the single is two years old, and Darling Mother is newer.

Since fans have been hearing this for ten years, that statement could be considered an understatement. I've seem Patti LaBelle and Aretha doing the same thing, so she's in good company.

In a way, that is good news. As a fan, I always cringe when she states that she is putting the final touches on the CD and it will be out soon. After hearing that for ten years, I can't be blamed for being pessimistic about the release.

I suspect the same

Mary never vert really promoted life been good to me or mother dear. Mother dear would have charted if Mary had promote it prior to Mother's Day last year. A real missed opportunities imo as it was a pretty song.

Roberta

mwmr
02-26-2014, 03:36 PM
Darling Mother was never available to buy on itunes here in the UK. Life's been good... Was released on itunes uk so it makes sense for that to be played as it is available to buy here
Roberta I adore Mary but even with promotion, without a major label or financial input the song would never be a hit. It's beautiful but not the kind of song that gets airplay or hits the charts.

i still hope the album will see the light of day but suspect the issue is lack of label /distribution