PDA

View Full Version : Jasmine release due Early-March from Marv Johnson

test

booty
02-23-2014, 07:47 AM
More from Jasmine in March, this time on Marv Johnson with his three UA albums and "bonus" singles [[all now out of copyright). "You Got What It Takes - The Marv Johnson Story 1958-1961 - The First Three Albums Plus Bonus Singles" [[2-CD Set)

http://www.amazon.com/You-Got-What-Takes-RECORDINGS/dp/tracks/B00IISGONI/ref=dp_tracks_all_2#disc_2

Disc: 1
1. September In The Rain
2. You Got What It Takes
3. Summertime
4. S'Wonderful
5. I Can't Get Started
6. Come To Me
7. Let Me Love You
8. Almost Like Being In Love
9. Love Is Here To Stay
10. I'm Coming Home
11. When I Fall In Love
12. Don't Leave Me
13. Baby Baby
14. This Heart Of Mine Will Surely Sing
15. I Love The Way You Love
16. River Of Tears
17. Clap Your Hands
18. Ain't Gonne Be That Way
19. When You've Lost Your Love
20. I Need You
21. Easier Said That Done
22. What A Need
23. All The Love I've Got
Disc: 2
1. My Baby-O
2. Once Upon A Time
3. Whisper
4. [[You've Got To) Move Two Mountains
5. Happy Days
6. Merry Go Round
7. Tell Me That You Love Me
8. How Can We Tell Him
9. I've Got A Notion
10. Show Me
11. Oh Mary
12. Johnny One Step
13. Easier Said Than Done [[Single Version)
14. Let Every Living Creature Praise The Lord
15. Swing Low Sweet Chariot
16. How Long Has It Been Since You Prayed
17. He's Got The Whole World In His Hands
18. I Believe
19. Ride The Chariot
20. He Gave Me You
21. You Better Mind
22. When I've Done The Best I Can
23. I'm Going To Work Until The Day Is Done
24. If I Can Help Somebody
25. Everytime I Feel The Spirit

theboyfromxtown
02-23-2014, 07:55 AM
is it on amazon uk

honest man
02-23-2014, 08:07 AM
I wonder if Once Upon A time is the Mary-Marvin version,worth it just for that,i will buy anyway thanks for the nod.

calvin
02-23-2014, 08:55 AM
"Once Upon A Time" was the B-side of "My Baby-O", it's a different song, not the one with the same title done by Mary & Marvin. The song is credited to "Marv Johnson With the Band of Harold 'Beans' Bowles":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM03z9dNKa0

The cd is offered on the Jasmine website for £11.99. But I'll wait, I'm sure it will be on Amazon UK soon and probably for less than £9 with free shipping [[as other Jasmine 2-cd sets are).

http://www.jasmine-records.co.uk/acatalog/jascd-731.html

woodward
02-23-2014, 12:05 PM
There is a glaring omission in the track listing for this CD. They claim to have all of the first three UA albums included, but they do not. The More MJ [[UA 3118) only has 11 songs. Let Me Love You from side 2 of the album is not included in this compilation. Can anyone shed any light on this omission? Yes the 2 KUDO 45's produced are included but the sampling of miscellaneous UA 45's consists only of 10 songs when there were a lot more that are not included.

calvin
02-23-2014, 12:20 PM
There is a glaring omission in the track listing for this CD. They claim to have all of the first three UA albums included, but they do not. The More MJ [[UA 3118) only has 11 songs. Let Me Love You from side 2 of the album is not included in this compilation. Can anyone shed any light on this omission? Yes the 2 KUDO 45's produced are included but the sampling of miscellaneous UA 45's consists only of 10 songs when there were a lot more that are not included.

I guess they didn't include "Let Me Love You" as part of More Marv Johnson because it was also on the previous album, "Marvellous Marv Johnson", and so is included as track 7 of cd1. I can't say if this track is the same version on both albums though.

Yes, the singles included are a pretty miscellaneous bunch and there are several missing. As this is a public-domain vinyl rip, maybe they had trouble sourcing clean copies of the other singles? Or maybe they just wanted to hold it to two cds? A shame they aren't all here.

Roger Polhill
02-23-2014, 04:43 PM
Missing are:
Magic Mirror.
Another Tear Falls.
Congratulations [[You`ve Hurt Me Again.
The Man Who Don`t Believe In Love.
That`s All I Want.
Sweet Georgia Brown.
With All That`s In Me.
That`s Where I Lost My Baby.
I have these on CD if anyone wants them drop me a line.

calvin
02-23-2014, 07:11 PM
The singles chosen are not totally miscellaneous - the title of the cd says "The Marv Johnson Story 1958-1961", and the singles chosen are his non-LP singles released during the period 1958-1961. I count [[from the source linked below) 3 UA singles with 5 non-LP tracks from 1962 that do not appear on this cd though they should be in the public domain. The LP "I Believe" is from 1962, so why not include these 5 tracks and re-name the collection "1958-1962"?

I don't think the 4 UA singles from 1963 are in the public domain [[?), the UA single from 1964 isn't.

http://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/mjohnson.htm

woodward
02-27-2014, 04:47 PM
A question on the public domain. Does the actual recording date or the actual release date determine the public domain status? I have the OFFICIAL United Artists logs for all of Marv's UA releases. His last 3 UA singles, #617, #643, and #691 were all recorded in 1963. #617 and #643 were recorded 6/7/63 and #691 on 12/5/63. There were 2 other songs that were recorded on 12/5/63 but never released. The log sheets show nothing for 1964. If you would like a copy of these 3 sheets of all his UA output, please send me a private email and I will be more than pleased to mail a copy of them off to you. Thank you.

calvin
02-27-2014, 07:42 PM
A question on the public domain. Does the actual recording date or the actual release date determine the public domain status? I have the OFFICIAL United Artists logs for all of Marv's UA releases. His last 3 UA singles, #617, #643, and #691 were all recorded in 1963. #617 and #643 were recorded 6/7/63 and #691 on 12/5/63. There were 2 other songs that were recorded on 12/5/63 but never released. The log sheets show nothing for 1964. If you would like a copy of these 3 sheets of all his UA output, please send me a private email and I will be more than pleased to mail a copy of them off to you. Thank you.

I'm no legal expert, but my understanding is this...

For recordings first released in 1962 or earlier, the EU copyright lasted 50 years. This was extended to 70 years for all recordings first released in 1963 or later. This is why you see public domain releases for albums which first appeared in 1962 but not for those which first appeared in 1963.

If a recording is not released within 50 years of its being recorded, it falls into the public domain. This still applies even to recordings made in 1963 or later, which is why Universal put out "Motown Unreleased 1963" in December 2013.

It depends on the first release date, provided that the recording is released within 50 years.

Recall that Universal released "Motown Unreleased 1962" in Dec 2012 to extend the copyright of those 1962 recordings. If it depended on the recording date, those recordings would now be in the public domain, regardless of Universal's release.

This is from the 2006 EU directive [[before the copyright extension to 70 years):
Duration of related rights
1. The rights of performers shall expire 50 years after the date of the performance. However, if a fixation of the performance is lawfully published or lawfully communicated to the public within this period, the rights shall expire 50 years from the date of the first such publication or the first such communication to the public, whichever is the earlier.
2. The rights of producers of phonograms shall expire 50 years after the fixation is made. However, if the phonogram has been lawfully published within this period, the said rights shall expire 50 years from the date of the first lawful publication. If no lawful publication has taken place within the period mentioned in the first sentence, and if the phonogram has been lawfully communicated to the public within this period, the said rights shall expire 50 years from the date of the first lawful communication to the public.

Any Marv Johnson tracks released in 1963 or later are covered by the 70 year copyright rule. However, if there are Marv Johnson tracks that were recorded in 1963 but never released, I think that these should now be in the public domain in the EU. But who knows if anyone interested in releasing them can get access to the recordings.

calvin
03-01-2014, 05:52 AM
Since writing the post above I read a bit more about this. I think what I wrote above is correct, though incomplete. The copyright extension act has some extra features for recordings covered by the 70-year copyright, some of which could be interesting to performers. For example...

Following the 50th year after first release, non-featured performers [[ones who signed over their rights to the producer in return for a single payment) can receive royalties. [[This is referred to as a "Session Fund" in the User's Guide, link below).

If, 50 years after first release, the producer is not making the recording available commercially, there is a mechanism for the performers to reclaim their rights from the producer. If this happens, the rights go the performer and the producer's copyright expires. The point of this was that many artists are complaining that the studios are not making their recordings available. This gives them the chance to do it themselves [[albeit 50 years after first release!).

I didn't mean to turn this into a thread on EU copyright law, but questions do get asked from time to time about it in this forum, and since I looked into it in some detail I thought I'd share some of the main points here.

The texts of Directives 2006/116/EC and 2011/77/EU [[the copyright extension act) can be found here:
http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/copyright/term-protection/index_en.htm

A User's Guide to the copyright extension 2011/77/EU, written in plain English by the UK's Intellectual Property Office, can be found here:
http://www.ipo.gov.uk/directive201177eu.pdf

booty
03-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Up on Amazon.co.uk for £7.92 at the moment and could well go lower!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IISGONI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Roger Polhill
03-01-2014, 06:46 PM
I`ll have to get it for the 2 tracks that I don`t have and the great cover.