PDA

View Full Version : Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart

test

jobeterob
02-15-2014, 08:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2WxSIL7RRQ

Who is talking at the start? What is he saying?

What is Diana Ross saying about the earphones? headphones?

bradburger
02-15-2014, 08:20 PM
rob,

That's Brian Holland.

He says "Thank you. One more fellas, one more like that and I'm through''.

Diana says "These earphones is' gone!"

I believe that it is Johnny Griffith that says "Flare it up".

Cheers

Paul

carole cucumber
02-15-2014, 08:31 PM
Brian Holland: Take it one more _____. One more like that and I'm through"

Diana: "These earphones is off"

jobeterob
02-15-2014, 08:37 PM
Brian Holland: Take it one more _____. One more like that and I'm through"

Diana: "These earphones is off"

I'm sure glad someone found this and released it.

I think it might be Brian Holland's birthday today ~ so this one can be for him!

carole cucumber
02-15-2014, 08:42 PM
J. Randy Taraborelli' mentions Diana's headphone malfunction in his notes for the Supremes 'A -Go-Go' album on pg 483 of 'Diana Ross A Biography' [[2007)

And Paul is correct; Diana says 'gone' rather than 'off', which fits in with what Randy wrote.

roger
02-16-2014, 05:33 AM
For anyone who doesn't know .. That semi-instrumental version of "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart" with Miss Ross talking at the front was released on the Deluxe version of the "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" C.D.

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/5469195/a/standing+in+the+shadows+of+motown.htm

Roger

glencro
02-16-2014, 11:59 AM
This has always been my fav Supremes song

George Solomon
02-16-2014, 01:58 PM
You might already know but Diana's comment was isolated at put at the top of the song for the Standing In The Shadows Of Motown CD. Actually the earphones were going in and out all through the song and right after she sang the last "I've been bit by the love bug"... She made the comment and stopped singing. That's why the song fades right there.

jobeterob
02-16-2014, 04:33 PM
So what happened to the background on this song? Some of it sounds like Florence was either not there or turned down in favor of Mary???

Methuselah2
02-18-2014, 03:51 PM
Just a brief but interesting fact re ITCHING:

http://31.media.tumblr.com/fded4ad74ac2a1c31a398b687a0f935e/tumblr_n0fqsyzelT1t6nn9lo1_1280.jpg

grapevine
02-18-2014, 04:28 PM
...a few more versions

...Helana Harris http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6y1-G6-2hA

...Lisa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYV6P8tJF78

...Ralph Carter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Inua0Qdof0

...The Good Girls http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqHkvEtS_RA

...Timothy Wilson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PysPvJdWbGY

...Nona Hendryx http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLHnVMvgJIg

:)

marv2
02-18-2014, 04:32 PM
Of course you have the Original Supreme.......Mary Wilson's live version!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdsvBIlgHoE

jobeterob
02-18-2014, 05:56 PM
Methuselah: Great ad.

Just another of the potential facts around that might debunk theories about what the best sellers were.

keith_hughes
02-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Funny this thread should get bumped today, I've just been doing some research on the track.

The 45 version was mixed on July 21, 1965, though not released till April 8, 1966. Between those dates there was one more overdub session, on Oct 12, 1965 - the annotation is "Dub-In Instru". If this was used, it would have been on the stereo mix, probably made in July 1966 and released [[on "Supremes A-Go-Go") in August.

Can anyone hear some extra instrumentation on the stereo version?

bradburger
02-18-2014, 09:17 PM
Interesting Keith.

I wonder if it was the infamous Kazoo?

I've just listened to the 45 mix and the 'A Go-Go' stereo mix [[from the' Motown Year By Year 1966' disc), and don't notice any extra instruments on the latter.

However, on the stereo alternate take version which I think was issued on 'Greatest Hits ', [[I'm listening to it from the 'Compact Command Performance CD), the Kazoo is on this.

I note it's also on the backing track mix [[towards the end) from the SITSOM CD, which is in the video posted above by jobeterob.

Cheers

Paul

bradburger
02-18-2014, 09:23 PM
Here's the version that's on the CCP CD.

[[I note that on the CCP CD, for some reason, part of the intro has been chopped).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02oj7VjlCe8

Cheers

Paul

johnjeb
02-18-2014, 11:15 PM
Just a brief but interesting fact re ITCHING:

http://31.media.tumblr.com/fded4ad74ac2a1c31a398b687a0f935e/tumblr_n0fqsyzelT1t6nn9lo1_1280.jpg

I remember this ad from Billboard. I remember thinking at the time that it was going to be their next #1!

I don't think I bought this issue of Billboard, although I have several other ads from that period. Sixty cents was a bit steep for me - it was almost an hour's salary. Fortunately I changed jobs soonafter and could afford occasional issues of Billboard even when the price skyrocketed to seventy-five cents!

franjoy56
02-19-2014, 01:31 AM
So what happened to the background on this song? Some of it sounds like Florence was either not there or turned down in favor of Mary???
Listen agsin florence ballard vocals are ever present on this song I even hear her more on this version. Here we go debriefing flo, presence on supremes records, Not.Happening.

jobeterob
02-19-2014, 02:05 AM
Listen agsin florence ballard vocals are ever present on this song I even hear her more on this version. Here we go debriefing flo, presence on supremes records, Not.Happening.

That would be you debriefing! So there you go!

But if you are hearing Flo, then are you not hearing Mary? Because one of them seems louder than the other? Or is it some other voice?

supremester
02-19-2014, 02:43 AM
You guys can keep a person up all night listening to these various mixes. Thanks for your input and kudos to your knowledge.

jobeterob
02-19-2014, 02:46 AM
This is a fantastic song ~ one of the Supremes songs that has aged the best.

supremester
02-19-2014, 03:42 AM
I love this too - always have, but it was a little rough around the edges for many Supremes fans back in the spring of '66 and it became one of DMF's poorest sellers, ranking just about Nothing But Heartaches according to Joel Whitburn.

rovereab
02-19-2014, 02:35 PM
IMO that Kazoo is about as welcome as the piano on the stereo version of Walk Away Renee or the background singers at the start of the stereo version of There's A Ghost In My House :)

marv2
02-19-2014, 07:04 PM
I love this too - always have, but it was a little rough around the edges for many Supremes fans back in the spring of '66 and it became one of DMF's poorest sellers, ranking just about Nothing But Heartaches according to Joel Whitburn.

Not for their Black fans! It was a little rough for some because it was SOUL music and the Funk Bro's were getting down with the Supremes doing their thing out front!

This is the one played at house parties back in the day and it is one of the ones that would be played today at Old School Parties.

franjoy56
02-19-2014, 08:20 PM
That would be you debriefing! So there you go!

But if you are hearing Flo, then are you not hearing Mary? Because one of them seems louder than the other? Or is it some other voice?
I am not saying mary is not thr but flo upper register is coming in louder. Mary and flo created some great backgrounds, but flo stands out here, like she did on many supremes tracks one in particular is penny pencher, and another is long gone lover, and you cant do that.

marv2
02-19-2014, 08:29 PM
I am not saying mary is not thr but flo upper register is coming in louder. Mary and flo created some great backgrounds, but flo stands out here, like she did on many supremes tracks one in particular is penny pencher, and another is long gone lover, and you cant do that.

You almost have to ignore him. He's been hoping against hope that Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard are not on the Supremes biggest hit records. Well he's wrong and he should be embarrassed that it's taking him 45-50 years to recognize the Supremes voices.

One record I particularly love Mary and Florence's work is on "Back In My Arms Again". Those girls were amazing!

supremester
02-19-2014, 08:38 PM
Well even for Black fans [[of which I am an honorary one) it fared much worse than most other HDH hits. Hitting #7 R&B and #9 Pop. I love it and play it frequently. Miss Ross' vocal is soulful and achy - just as what was needed. I don't even mind the kazoo.

Not for their Black fans! It was a little rough for some because it was SOUL music and the Funk Bro's were getting down with the Supremes doing their thing out front!

This is the one played at house parties back in the day and it is one of the ones that would be played today at Old School Parties.

marv2
02-19-2014, 09:23 PM
Well even for Black fans [[of which I am an honorary one) it fared much worse than most other HDH hits. Hitting #7 R&B and #9 Pop. I love it and play it frequently. Miss Ross' vocal is soulful and achy - just as what was needed. I don't even mind the kazoo.

I don't give a shit what no Billboard chart numbers said. The song was a big hit with Black record buyers in 1966! Diane's voice was a part of an ensemble . Had she sang it alone, it wouldn't have sounded like shit. This record also received heavy radio play on R&B/Soul radio stations nationwide.

carole cucumber
02-19-2014, 10:27 PM
Funny this thread should get bumped today, I've just been doing some research on the track.

The 45 version was mixed on July 21, 1965, though not released till April 8, 1966. Between those dates there was one more overdub session, on Oct 12, 1965 - the annotation is "Dub-In Instru". If this was used, it would have been on the stereo mix, probably made in July 1966 and released [[on "Supremes A-Go-Go") in August.

Can anyone hear some extra instrumentation on the stereo version?

Keith,

I suspect that the best example of the version with the 'Dub-In' Instru' may be in either your or your associates' collection . It is track 13 of the 2000 U.K. 2-on-1 coupling "Love Child" & " Supemes A' Go-Go". Here the celeste & kazoo are prominent . This version also removes much of the echo from Diana & the Supremes' vocals.

jobeterob
02-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Keith,

I suspect that the best example of the version with the 'Dub-In' Instru' may be in either your or your associates' collection . It is track 13 of the 2000 U.K. 2-on-1 coupling "Love Child" & " Supemes A' Go-Go". Here the celeste & kazoo are prominent . This version also removes much of the echo from Diana & the Supremes' vocals.

Is the UK Love Child / A Go Go pairing still available? Is there Amazon UK?

Methuselah's Ad is another reminder/suggestion that just because Randy Tarraborelli once published some now some discredited sales numbers in his book, doesn't mean those numbers are accurate or should they have ever become repeated into oblivion.

Cashbox relied more on sales and songs like Reach Out and Touch fared higher on those charts. And none of those charts were necessarily correct.

Perhaps Motown's ad was accurate! Why would they not tout such an accomplishment?

midnight johnny
02-19-2014, 10:34 PM
I love this too - always have, but it was a little rough around the edges for many Supremes fans back in the spring of '66 and it became one of DMF's poorest sellers, ranking just about Nothing But Heartaches according to Joel Whitburn.Well, we know why it was rough around the edges....it was the Supreme's first venture into singing a simple song....about SEX...very directly, I might add.

supremester
02-19-2014, 10:44 PM
As direct as The Supremes got, I believe. This may be my fave of your Supremes extensions. Played it at work several times in a row and everyone was digging it. You are appreciated!

carole cucumber
02-19-2014, 10:45 PM
Keith,
It's also interesting that the previously unreleased extended version of LILAIIMH used on the 2002 [[U.S.) Anthology mixes the vocals dry, without the echo and without the celeste & kazoo.

supremester
02-19-2014, 10:49 PM
Merciful heavens - such language! I'm not saying it wasn't a big hit - it went top ten, oh Calm One, it just wasn't AS big as the others. But you're right, listening to just the bgs alone, the record without the inspired, classic bg vocals on this would make it just another track waiting for a Lost & Found release.
I don't give a shit what no Billboard chart numbers said. The song was a big hit with Black record buyers in 1966! Diane's voice was a part of an ensemble . Had she sang it alone, it wouldn't have sounded like shit. This record also received heavy radio play on R&B/Soul radio stations nationwide.

Lulu
02-19-2014, 10:59 PM
Dare I say that this song was a bit ahead of its time? It certainly doesn't sound like their earlier hits and if I recall was a BIG hit in both the gay club scene at the time [[Stonewall, especially) and across the pond as a "Northern Soul Stomper". It's also one of the few Supremes songs to be remixed by a major DJ [[Junior Vasquez) in recent years.

daviddh
02-19-2014, 11:14 PM
it is still my all time favorite Supremes single. I think it rocks. I wasn't a big fan of the GO GO lp but I can see why it was a big hit. I think it would have fit the SING HDH album better, but that's just my opinion. GO Go had to many covers for me and some seem watered down.
I do agree, it held up well. a classic

midnight johnny
02-20-2014, 12:14 AM
As direct as The Supremes got, I believe. This may be my fave of your Supremes extensions. Played it at work several times in a row and everyone was digging it. You are appreciated!Thank you, Gregg....I appreciate it!

jobeterob
02-20-2014, 01:34 AM
John: You created a little masterpiece here and it certainly gets its share of attention from all quarters.

I love the Brian & Diana bits and had to listen carefully to find "flare it up".

Excellent work.

Methuselah2
02-20-2014, 02:57 AM
So, in view of the praise for ITCHING that many of us feel for it as a song and recording, what stopped it from hitting the top of the charts that it had seemed so deserving of? A great vocal performance by The Supremes; fun, snappy, and joyously tongue-in-cheek lyrics and melody by HDH; and stellar work by The Funk Bros.

But I think the performance on THE ED SULLIVAN SHOW did it in, actually working against it.

For me, this was by far the worst televised performance of a Supremes' single as of that date. The visual element of The Supremes could not have been more off. The 'too tasteful' yellow gowns with the chiffon draping off the one shoulder were fine as dresses go [[and were fine for their beautiful rendition of MORE afterwards)--but totally wrong for the ITCHING number, completely at odds and in combat with the verve and funk of the tune itself. Flo and Mary both had on bizarre wig variations of Diana's familiar flippy 'do that were so distracting, ill-fitting, and off-putting that they were upstaged only by the alarmingly sloppy, seemingly non-existent choreography of hands flopping that eventually turned into some atrocious impromptu-looking go-go dancing that had the feel of a last-minute decision, a truly bad decision. Add the lackluster Ed Sullivan Orchestra performance that you just knew was not going to do the tune any favors even before the conductor's baton went up and the worst Supremes' TV performance so far was sealed.

Such a terrific tune and sensational HDH production deserved so much more than this. "Keeps me sighin', keeps me cryin'."

supremester
02-20-2014, 03:57 AM
I love your read of The Sullivan appearance. I am in TOTAL agreement. I can't really watch it without cringing, but I can watch it [[unlike GIT, for example.) I don't like Ross' hair much either, but the other two - especially Flo, look ridiculous. I HATE the dresses for this number WTF were they thinking? Trying to sell "Itchin'" to The Copa crowd? They should have worn the clothes from A Go Go album over or other casual but hip attire. The Ladybird Johnson look could not have been more inappropriate. Cholly might not have done this choreography as other Sullivan shows are equally choreographed as bad like No Matter What Sign You Are. The song could not have been presented in a worse way.

I disagree that it kept the record from getting to #1. I don't know how old you are, but as big as Sullivan was, it couldn't keep a record from climbing the charts - it could launch a single well, or, boost it some, but not kill a hot tune that sounded great on the radio. Their May 1 appearance, 3 weeks after it's release, occurred at a time when already the signs of "not #1" had shown in it's climb. It spent two paltry weeks in the top ten: #10, #9......then out. It's brief chart run of 8 weeks - the worst, I believe, since Run, Run, Run probably has more to do with the raucous sound that was much stronger than any previous Motown hit that made it buzz slightly on the crappy radios of the day. A year later, after Reflections, I think it would have done much better. Had this occurred 6 years later, it would be dismissed as "lack of promotion." Often records I loved didn't hit where I thought they should. Get Ready, for example, still has me scratching my head. John Q. Public just doesn't love everything I do.

Methuselah2
02-20-2014, 04:29 AM
'Ladybird Johnson look'--I think you nailed it with that one, Supremester. And I agree with you about what a SULLIVAN performance could do for a release. But this time, I think it might have had the opposite desired effect. I can't image that anyone teetoring with purchasing the record who saw this SULLIVAN Show found themselves heading to the record store that Monday.

ejluther
02-20-2014, 08:15 AM
To each his own but this is one of my all-time favorite TV performances if for no other reason than Diana's terrific and urgent lead vocal - so much energy and personality! It would have sent me to the record store for certain on Monday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi5-CjEhllY

smark21
02-20-2014, 09:06 AM
Well, we know why it was rough around the edges....it was the Supreme's first venture into singing a simple song....about SEX...very directly, I might add.

I disagree...The Supremes were singing about sex right from the start--I WAnt a Guy, Buttered Popcorn, Lovelight, etc.

midnight johnny
02-20-2014, 10:27 AM
I disagree...The Supremes were singing about sex right from the start--I WAnt a Guy, Buttered Popcorn, Lovelight, etc.To think that those innocent songs were about sex....well...that's just DIRTY!!

daviddh
02-20-2014, 10:27 AM
I think this performance was ok....think they needed a few performances to promote the song. was this the only show where they performed it?

jobeterob
02-20-2014, 12:04 PM
I think this performance was ok....think they needed a few performances to promote the song. was this the only show where they performed it?

The song is an excellent one; but I'm not sure it came across the radio as such a catchy tune as You Can't Hurry Love and Where Did Our Love Go, which were overall, simpler songs.

Also, perhaps there was a little bit of "enough is enough" from the public; through 1964 and 1965, the was an endless parade of #1 Supremes songs and maybe radio just took a little break from the Supremes at a time of competitive releases.

supremester
02-20-2014, 12:42 PM
I've watched it again for the first time in a long time and maybe I was too harsh or senility is lowering my standards. I still hate the hair - esp Flo [[Whatever Happened To Aunt Alice hair) .......Mary is still pretty and the "I'm shooing the chiggers away" choreography seems fine. It's the gowns, I guess. To be sure, I watched No Matter What Sign You Are and still don't like it it, so I'm not losing it totally. And, yes, I'm sure some kids sw this and decided to buy Snoopy vs The Red Baron instead.

midnight johnny
02-20-2014, 01:33 PM
John: You created a little masterpiece here and it certainly gets its share of attention from all quarters.

I love the Brian & Diana bits and had to listen carefully to find "flare it up".

Excellent work. Thanks, Rob!!!

LuvHangOva
02-20-2014, 05:18 PM
I disagree...The Supremes were singing about sex right from the start--I WAnt a Guy, Buttered Popcorn, Lovelight, etc.

you are absolutely correct!!! I've always heard the sex undertones in Where Did Our Love Go and Baby Love [["burning inside me, so deep inside me and it hurts so bad".....indeed!!!) HDH knew exactly what they were doing. It was all done in such a coy fashion they could always say "who us???? We didn't mean it like THAT".......mhm, whatever.....lol

smark21
02-20-2014, 09:09 PM
Or this line from "Back in MY Arms Again": Each time we make romance, I'll be thankful for another chance". Diana was not singing about exchanging gifts, so to speak.

To me Buttered Popcorn was their most sexual song until Early Morning Love in the mid 70s. That song, via metaphor, is about a boyfriend who loves go down on his girl, perhaps to the exclusion of any other sexual act.

smark21
02-20-2014, 09:12 PM
I agree the gowns for the Sullivan performance of Love is Like an Itchin' in My Heart was all wrong. However for that appearance they segue from Itchin' to More, a song more appropriate for those gowns. Too bad they were performed as separate sequences--for Itchin' they could have worn mini skirts and go go boots--Mary and Flo could have done some pelvic thrusts and tittie shakes and all three could have done some synchronized [[though tasteful) bumping and grinding during the "Go Mary" part of the song.

franjoy56
02-21-2014, 01:52 AM
Jobete I apologize I did not know u were talking about t trsck on t supremes anthology version 3 w t extended mix where t bkg, s were altered

roger
02-21-2014, 05:24 AM
To me Buttered Popcorn was their most sexual song until Early Morning Love in the mid 70s. That song, via metaphor, is about a boyfriend who loves go down on his girl, perhaps to the exclusion of any other sexual act.

And here was me thinking that Flo was concerned about her boyfriend's diet as he was only eating confectionaries such as this one .....

http://candyhero.com/jelly-belly-buttered-popcorn-jelly-bean-box?gclid=CKKp0eHx3LwCFaQfwwodR24ABg

:)

Roger

johnjeb
02-21-2014, 11:40 PM
I agree the gowns for the Sullivan performance of Love is Like an Itchin' in My Heart was all wrong. However for that appearance they segue from Itchin' to More, a song more appropriate for those gowns. Too bad they were performed as separate sequences--for Itchin' they could have worn mini skirts and go go boots--Mary and Flo could have done some pelvic thrusts and tittie shakes and all three could have done some synchronized [[though tasteful) bumping and grinding during the "Go Mary" part of the song.

Didn't care for this performance when it originally aired and still don't. It's too screechy and frenetic. There needed to be more bass. The choreography was lame. Maybe Mary and Flo should have been playing their kazoos. It was just all wrong. The gowns were beautiful and fit better with their performance of "More" that followed.

Remember this was only their fourth appearance on Sullivan. They were still new to Ed's core audience. Their supper-club attire helped establish their identity.

In 1964 they only did one song CSAM, same in 1965 when they did "You're Nobody...".

In 1966 they appeared four times with two numbers each, but one segment, one gown.

It wasn't until 1967 with the "Happening" and "Millie, Rose and Mame" that they started doing costume changes with each number whenever they appeared on Sullivan. This worked in that The Supremes were able to display their versatility [[and wardrobe), and by having them come back for another segment Ed could prevent his audience from switching the channel.

midnight johnny
02-22-2014, 03:06 PM
I enjoyed the performance a lot...they could have sung LILAIIMY underwater with scuba gear and I would have loved it. The gowns? Beautiful! Diana's wig? I was hot for any Motown songstress in a flip. It may have something to do with my crush on Patty Duke at the time.

Methuselah2
02-23-2014, 04:00 AM
When ITCHING made it to movie screens--

in the film SLAVES OF NEW YORK [[1989).

Just in case you've never seen this clip. Parody, satire, and yet something very essentially Ross.

Thanks to Charles Lowe for this YouTube posting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFs1cRxEQQc

[["No ITCHING thread would be complete without it."
-- Alright, says me.)

ejluther
02-23-2014, 11:10 AM
I love that clip - thanks for posting it!

Methuselah2
02-23-2014, 11:32 AM
My pleasure, EJ. Glad you enjoyed it.

ejluther
02-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Thought I'd post this one, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNG866XBZs
No matter what you think of the RTL tour it's great to hear the song live!

jobeterob
02-23-2014, 12:19 PM
When ITCHING made it to movie screens--

in the film SLAVES OF NEW YORK [[1989).

Just in case you've never seen this clip. Parody, satire, and yet something very essentially Ross.

Thanks to Charles Lowe for this YouTube posting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFs1cRxEQQc

[["No ITCHING thread would be complete without it."
-- Alright, says me.)

That was a great clip! As is the RTL one.

ejluther
02-23-2014, 03:30 PM
One more:

http://vbox7.com/play:ab6f8fc8&al=2&vid=542980
I know Diana got some criticism for choosing this as a Supremes song to sing on DIVAS but I thought it was a good choice as it was underperformed back in the day...

Methuselah2
02-23-2014, 03:54 PM
That was a great clip! As is the RTL one.

Glad you liked it, Jobeterob. The RTL version is a great take on the song, too. Thanks for posting, EJ.

supremester
02-23-2014, 07:23 PM
Thanks for all the Itching clips - it's such a cool song. Miss Ross used it a lot in the 80's - I think until The Force tour. Everytime I see RTL clips, I'm amazed at how far apart they all were. Evidently it worked live as everyone loved it, but on TV, it looks odd and Miss Ross is running around trying to get to everyone.

thisoldheart
02-24-2014, 12:10 AM
no matter what you think about the RTL tour, that is a powerhouse version of "love is like an itchin' in my heart"!

skooldem1
02-24-2014, 05:01 PM
I like this performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-1uai6crmE

Methuselah2
02-24-2014, 06:54 PM
Very cool. Had forgotten all about this fun performance. Thanks very much for posting it, Skooldem.

jobeterob
02-25-2014, 01:01 AM
I like John's version the best.

Looks like that suit got painted on her. And for a moment I wondered what she'd done with that microphone and what all was itching.