PDA

View Full Version : Tata Vega - Motown Albums issued Digitally February 25

test

Motown Andy
02-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Hello Táta Vega fans! I posted this over at Facebook and wanted to share this information over here at Soulful Detroit as well:

1. Tata Vega and I will be on Midnight Johnny's radio show Nightflight this coming Tuesday, February 18! You can stream the show live at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org) 9PM-Midnight EST/6PM-9PM PST This will be a wonderful opportunity to experience the magic of this very special lady. Tata, John and I will discuss Tata's incredible life: past, present and future. And as always, I'm sure we will have lots of laughs. Don't miss it!

2. The digital release date of Tata's Motown albums has moved one week, to Tuesday, February 25. Below is the revised release information:

Tata Vega Reissues Get Digital Release in the US

Four albums by the highly talented singer/songwriter Tata Vega will be reissued this month by UMe. Originally released by Motown between 1976-1980, the albums will make their digital debut in the US on February 25, 2014 as expanded releases. Tata is a widely respected vocalist who is featured in this year’s Oscar-nominated documentary film Twenty Feet From Stardom is currently on tour with Elton John. Tata has worked with such artists as Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Chaka Khan, Cher, Elton John, Patti LaBelle, Ray Charles, Jermaine Jackson, Lou Rawls, and Andraé Crouch. Her work also appeared in the Oscar Nominated film and critically acclaimed soundtrack for The Color Purple, where she recorded the singing voice of Shug Avery.

Each set contains bonus tracks with rare gems ranging from Táta’s group Earthquire, as well as duets with Jermaine Jackson, G.C. Cameron and Peter Rivera from Rare Earth. There are also 12” mixes of Táta’s disco hits which are now regarded as dance classics: “Full Speed Ahead,” [[#18 Disco/Dance), “I Just Keep Thinking About You Baby [[#17 Disco/Dance) and “Get It Up For Love,” [[#17 Disco/Dance). Also included is a 2005 remix of “I Just Keep Thinking About You Baby” Almighty Records, the hit remix team from the UK. Rounding out each set are fantastic previously unreleased bonus tracks, from rare mixes, to Táta’s previously unreleased 1983 sessions produced by Motown’s Nolen and Crossley.

Full Speed Ahead [[1976) – Expanded Edition Full Speed Ahead
1. Full Speed Ahead
2. Try Love From The Inside
3. Never Had A Dream Come True
4. Just When Things Are Getting Good
5. Been On My Own Too Long [[In The Wilderness)
6. Love Is All You Need
7. Music In My Heart
8. Keep It Coming
9. Just As Long As There Is You
10. Try God
Bonus Tracks:
11. Full Speed Ahead [[Disco Version Extended Single) *
12. Sunshine Man – Earthquire Featuring Táta Vega
13. Soul Eyes – Earthquire Featuring Táta Vega

Totally Táta [[1977) – Expanded Edition
1. Mr. Troublemaker
2. Blame It On The Sun
3. Come In Heaven [[Earth Is Calling)
4. Deep Inside
5. Jesus Takes Me Higher
6. Love Comes From The Most Unexpected Places
7. It’s Too Late
8. You’ll Never Rock Alone
9. Ever So Lovingly
Bonus Tracks:
10. Come In Heaven [[Earth Is Calling) Part 1
11. Come In Heaven [[Earth Is Calling) Part 2 *
12. You’ll Never Rock Alone – Duet with Jermaine Jackson

Try My Love [[1978) – Expanded Edition
1. Come On And Try My Love
2. I Need You Now
3. Get It Up For Love
4. If Love Must Go
5. Magic Feeling
6. Gonna Do My Best To Love You
7. I Just Keep Thinking About You Baby
8. Whopper Bopper Show Stopper
9. In The Morning
Bonus Tracks:
10. You Got My Love – Rare Earth featuring Táta Vega
11. My Love Is Alive *
12. I Just Keep Thinking About You Baby [[12” Mix)
13. Get It Up For Love [[12” Mix)
14. I Just Keep Thinking About You Baby – Almighty Remix

Givin’ All My Love [[1980) – Expanded Edition
1. Givin’ All My Love
2. You Keep Me Hangin’ On
3. Abandoned
4. Reachin’ All Around My Love
5. There’s Love In The World
6. You Better Watch Out
7. Love Thy Neighbor
8. [[I’ve Got My) Second Wind
9. I Get So Used To You Being Around
Bonus Tracks:
10. You Keep Me Hangin’ On [[Single Mix)
11. Stay With Me *
12. Inside, Outside *
13. To The Limit *

* Previously unreleased

Ngroove
02-13-2014, 10:59 AM
But I buy "physical" products...

antceleb12
02-13-2014, 11:34 AM
Can we stop moping about the fact that this isn't going to be a physical release? Andy and the gang, as previously stated, have tried, but Universal keeps pushing for digital. Frankly, some form of release is better than no form of release...

Ngroove
02-13-2014, 11:58 AM
Can we stop moping about the fact that this isn't going to be a physical release? Andy and the gang, as previously stated, have tried, but Universal keeps pushing for digital. Frankly, some form of release is better than no form of release...
"Digital Formats" are for those fancy-schmancy, "trendy" folks who carries around their "trendy" ipods or mp3 players or phones that constantly has to be updated, or broken down after a year-and-a-half to two years if not anyways, and younger folks whose generation feels they are above even CDs, that "TABLETS ARE THE FUTURE!" Well, I am of the CD generation, appreciator of quality music in that compactible, physical, collectible, add-to-my CD collection rack format for convenient personal listening anywhere, not just a computer.

antceleb12
02-13-2014, 12:09 PM
"Digital Formats" are for those fancy-schmancy, "trendy" folks who carries around their "trendy" ipods or mp3 players or phones that constantly has to be updated, or broken down after a year-and-a-half to two years if not anyways, and younger folks whose generation feels they are above even CDs, that "TABLETS ARE THE FUTURE!" Well, I am of the CD generation, appreciator of quality music in that compactible, physical, collectible, add-to-my CD collection rack format for convenient personal listening anywhere, not just a computer.

I get what you're saying. I like physical releases better, too, for many reasons. But the fact remains that digital is the new CD [[which was the new cassette, which as the new A-track, which was the new vinyl, etc etc). I'd rather see physical copies with better sound quality and the nice booklets, but complaining about it - at least on a forum - isn't going to change the fact that digital is the new way. If you all really want to see a physical release, get a petition together and send it to the higher-ups at Universal. Otherwise, just enjoy the fact that these albums are getting released at all!

If I could have it my way, every album would have the option of a vinyl, CD, or digital release - to please all parties. unfortunately, that is not financially feasible for a lot of Hip-O's releases, which, by now, have fallen out of popularity with many listeners. They have to go where the money is, and now, that's digital.

vgalindo
02-13-2014, 12:52 PM

I totally agree. And if we keep quiet and don't keep moping and complaining no one will know how we truly feel. Many people read these forums and this is a good place to complain. We all know that Andy, George, and Harry do a wonderful job and it is out of their control but they do read these forums and can be our voices to the higher ups at Universal.

antceleb12
02-13-2014, 01:00 PM
I totally agree. And if we keep quiet and don't keep moping and complaining no one will know how we truly feel. Many people read these forums and this is a good place to complain. We all know that Andy, George, and Harry do a wonderful job and it is out of their control but they do read these forums and can be our voices to the higher ups at Universal.

I'm just saying that there are better avenues for voicing your complaints. Yes, a lot of people read this forum, but I doubt the higher ups at Universal do. It's also the same conversation here over and over again. When news of a release is posted, it just turns into the same old bitter conversation about digital versus physical formats. You can pretend like things are going to change by whining about it on here, or you can actually do something about it and write to the higher ups. Otherwise, digital formats are going to continue to be the formats in which music will be released. I'm not saying keep quiet, and I'm sure Andy and George can be our voices, but how much can they alone do? You can't rely on them and this forum alone.

thommg
02-13-2014, 01:10 PM
I believe the first two albums have already been released on cd. I know Full Speed Ahead has been, and with the same bonus tracks as listed above.

marybrewster
02-13-2014, 02:26 PM
ngroove and vgalindo, I couldn't agree with you more.

With that said: I guarantee folks at Universal read SDF. And honestly? I know several people, from this forum, that have used other avenues to voice their opinions. NONE of them received responses. So what alternative do we have?

I will continue to mention, anywhere appropriate, that "Funny Girl" needs a PHYSICAL release. If I'm not mistaken, it is the ONLY Supremes/DRATS LP that's never been released on CD. That alone should warrant a reissue.

They want to know what we want? Well, we're telling them. It's getting them to listen that's the problem.

antceleb12
02-13-2014, 02:41 PM
Sorry, I just don't agree. I mean, fans have been asking for how long? I mean, there's another thread asking for a physical release ... from eight years ago! I think by now it's quite clear to those who have read the forum that people want a physical release. And of course "several" people isn't going to make any waves. There needs to be a bigger, collective motion - like a petition - to make them see that people actually want it. And it's going to be kept being put on the back burner unless they see that. Sporadic posts around the forum aren't going to change a thing.

marybrewster
02-13-2014, 02:49 PM
And I apologize for making this Andy's Tata thread my personal soapbox for "Funny Girl".

No one is a bigger fan of Andy's than I am. I'm cheersing him on the great news of this release. I know how hard he works to get product to us, in ANY form.

Andy knows I love him and that I think he's absolutely sparklelicious. But he also knows the nature of the beast.

Anyway, back to Tata. :)

calvin
02-13-2014, 03:48 PM
Andy says these albums are making their "digital debut" in the US. Maybe I'm just missing it, but I don't see where it says "download only". Digital release/debut is not necessarily the same as download, cds are also digital releases [[as opposed to analogue). But since some people with inside information here say it's download only, then I guess "digital release" is meant to be a nicer-sounding way of saying "download only."

The first two of these albums have been released on cd by Soul Music and I have them. You can buy them from amazon UK.

I can understand why Universal might want to release some titles only as digital downloads. In fact, I think this would be a great way of releasing some music that wouldn't be profitable as a physical release. But if they're going to go the way of download only, I hope we get the choice to buy a lossless download, so we don't have to needlessly sacrifice audio quality. If Universal only gives us the choice of lossy downloads or nothing, I will buy very little music from them in the future.

If these are made available as lossless downloads at a reasonable price, I'll buy the third and fourth albums. If these are lossy download only, I won't buy them.

I also think it's ok to write how we feel about this in this forum, even if it's not positive. As for writing to Universal, I did email them recently [[at Andy's suggestion, from another thread) but got no response.

Ngroove
02-13-2014, 03:52 PM
Again, My apologies folks for redundancy - It really does joys me to learn another not-the-same Motown artists like Syreeta Wright or Tata Vega is still given somewhat rereleases today for people to re-enjoy them all over again, or possibly even new people to newly enjoy them - it's just not my format - I guess it could be - but it's "not my bag" hahaha - so that just doesn't count to myself.

tamla617
02-13-2014, 06:30 PM
I'm in the physical camp [[that doesn't sound right!) I want to hold it, look at it ,read about it.
Music isn't just the sound its the package. If I want an mp3 I'll do it. The very least they could do is a downloadable [[is that a real word?) liner notes , or what ever they call them now,plus extra info since the original release and if there are unreleased tracks, info on those with every digital album download. Universal must think we are a PITA. We are the fans that keep UMe Motown boat floating. We are the fans that actually made their archives worth something. We bought the stuff on release, not Johnny come lately's. That's not meant as a slur on people too young or didn't buy a particular LP the 1st time 'round. There were hundreds of LPs and nobody could buy every release, I know.

soulster
02-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Andy says these albums are making their "digital debut" in the US. Maybe I'm just missing it, but I don't see where it says "download only". Digital release/debut is not necessarily the same as download, cds are also digital releases [[as opposed to analogue). But since some people with inside information here say it's download only, then I guess "digital release" is meant to be a nicer-sounding way of saying "download only."

The first two of these albums have been released on cd by Soul Music and I have them. You can buy them from amazon UK.

I can understand why Universal might want to release some titles only as digital downloads. In fact, I think this would be a great way of releasing some music that wouldn't be profitable as a physical release. But if they're going to go the way of download only, I hope we get the choice to buy a lossless download, so we don't have to needlessly sacrifice audio quality. If Universal only gives us the choice of lossy downloads or nothing, I will buy very little music from them in the future.

If these are made available as lossless downloads at a reasonable price, I'll buy the third and fourth albums. If these are lossy download only, I won't buy them.

I also think it's ok to write how we feel about this in this forum, even if it's not positive. As for writing to Universal, I did email them recently [[at Andy's suggestion, from another thread) but got no response.
I agree 100%.

However, there is one way to get digital lossless if there are no other alternatives...find the original record albums, a good turntable/cartridge, and some good audio restoration software, and DIY. This is what I usually have to do, and the record company makes $0.

soulster
02-13-2014, 08:40 PM
Universal must think we are a PITA. We are the fans that keep UMe Motown boat floating.

The sad truth is that people who prefer physical media are a PITA! It costs money to create artwork, liner notes, pay a manufacturer, and make CDs, not to mention the cost of inventory and distribution for relatively small runs. Face it, there aren't a whole lot of people itching to buy Tata Tata Vega, The Supremes, or anyone else on CD today. A case may be made for vinyl records, but digital downloads...lossy...is where it's at. That's where the majority of money comes from in the U.S. market, IF you want to keep the price at the going ,market rate. If the companies make physical CDs, they have to add tons of goodies to entice the hardcore collector, as with TCMSC. Just the way it is. Live changes.

I am a collector, so I have a good turntable set-up, and a computer with lots of good software. I also keep a tape deck around just in case. I know how to rip, download, convert, and archive my music, too. After all, the home isn't the only place to play music. I can play all manner of music in the car, while walking, sitting in the airport, or whatever.

We are the fans that actually made their archives worth something.

This is true. But, again, like I said, times change. Trends change. Technology changes. Those who refuse to move with it will eventually get left behind.

I feel you about lossy vs. lossless. Anyone who has read my rants about only having lossy files available knows how unhappy I am with that situation. But, unfortunately, we live in a world where most people are stone deaf, and don't care about sound quality. And, I fully understand about artwork and liner notes. The industry has dropped the ball on that. There was a half-baked effort by the industry to fix that, but they haven't. I guess it costs too much for them to include a .pdf beyond the cover artwork.

Well, again, no serious music lover in 2014 should be caught without at least a turntable and a computer.

vgalindo
02-13-2014, 09:26 PM

I also think it's ok to write how we feel about this in this forum, even if it's not positive. As for writing to Universal, I did email them recently [[at Andy's suggestion, from another thread) but got no response. I have also emailed them a few times and did not get a response.

soulster
02-13-2014, 09:34 PM
And, you probably won't. The best way to get the attention of corporate types is to write an old-fashioned, handwritten letter. They are probably Luddites like the rest of you! :D

jack020
02-14-2014, 02:44 AM
If Sony cando it, why cant UMG?
http://theseconddisc.com/2014/02/13/aint-no-stopping-them-now-sony-acquires-entire-philadelphia-international-catalogue-box-set-coming-soon/#more-24265

calvin
02-14-2014, 06:48 AM
However, there is one way to get digital lossless if there are no other alternatives...find the original record albums, a good turntable/cartridge, and some good audio restoration software, and DIY. This is what I usually have to do, and the record company makes $0.

My main problem is finding the time, so I'd rather pay for the finished product than do it myself, but yes it looks like I will have to go this route for some titles. I guess you use the software - Adobe Audition? - to remove crackles and such. How long does it normally take you to digitize a vinyl LP?

soulster
02-14-2014, 11:02 AM
If Sony cando it, why cant UMG?
http://theseconddisc.com/2014/02/13/aint-no-stopping-them-now-sony-acquires-entire-philadelphia-international-catalogue-box-set-coming-soon/#more-24265 UMG is still obsessed with digital piracy.

soulster
02-14-2014, 11:08 AM
My main problem is finding the time, so I'd rather pay for the finished product than do it myself, but yes it looks like I will have to go this route for some titles. I guess you use the software - Adobe Audition? - to remove crackles and such. How long does it normally take you to digitize a vinyl LP? Well, It can be a labor-intensive activity.

I use several types of software on every project:
Adobe Audition 3.1
Adobe Audition CS5
Click Repair
iZotope RX
Sony Sound Forge 10
Media Monkey
Switch File Converter

The time it takes depends on the condition of the record, and the quality of the results you want. And, don't forget the time it takes to clean the records!

whitesoxx
02-14-2014, 02:01 PM
It costs money to create artwork, liner notes, pay a manufacturer, and make CDs, not to mention the cost of inventory and distribution for relatively small runs.

Pressing cd's is not very expensive, should cost no more than $1-$2 including a booklet for a run of 1,000. If Universal Japan can do it, why can't Universal USA with product that is going to be bought by people the world over anyway.

Maybe they should start a kind of Pledgemusic service where fans can sign up and pledge to order a physical cd and when they reach a specified amount/number they will go and press the cd's. Works that way for many independent artists.

soulster
02-14-2014, 02:15 PM
Pressing cd's is not very expensive, should cost no more than $1-$2 including a booklet for a run of 1,000. If Universal Japan can do it, why can't Universal USA with product that is going to be bought by people the world over anyway. Pressing discs is cheap, but all that other stuff I mentioned that goes with it gets quite expensive. And, it's even more expensive with ridiculously small runs like 1,000 copies.

Japan is a different economy and market than the U.S., with different laws. There are things other markets can get away with that they can't here.

Maybe they should start a kind of Pledgemusic service where fans can sign up and pledge to order a physical cd and when they reach a specified amount/number they will go and press the cd's. Works that way for many independent artists.

It could work, but the U.S. labels are so stuck in their old traditional ways of doing things that it would take them another ten years to even contemplate such a business model. If you were to talk to the bosses of these U.S. labels, almost every one of them would tell you that they would rather go back to the days of the 90s, when they had complete control, and before everyone and their mother had a computer. Warner is the only somewhat forward-thinking company with regards to digital, but they also do not hold the Motown catalog.

calvin
02-15-2014, 08:08 AM
Well, It can be a labor-intensive activity.

I use several types of software on every project:
Adobe Audition 3.1
Adobe Audition CS5
Click Repair
iZotope RX
Sony Sound Forge 10
Media Monkey
Switch File Converter

The time it takes depends on the condition of the record, and the quality of the results you want. And, don't forget the time it takes to clean the records!

Wow, that sounds like a major effort, and not something I'd have enough time for. I'd love to hear how your finished products sound.

Still, I think I will try to hunt down some of the LPs I want that have never been released on cd. I can always digitize them - with crackles and all - and perhaps try to improve them later.

calvin
02-15-2014, 08:20 AM
There are other labels that are releasing Motown albums [[post Detroit era) on cd - for example SoulMusic, BBR, and FunkyTownGrooves. Expansion Records released some albums by Ozone, not exactly among the best-known artists from the Motown label.

Wounded Bird released some titles from the Whitfield label, including Jr Walker's "Back Street Boogie". Now Real Gone and SoulMusic are releasing "Love Keys" from Eddie Kendricks [[originally on Atlantic).

Ace seems to be the only non-Universal label that releases Detroit-era Motown [[officially licensed, not counting public domain). Maybe they're the only label that Universal allows to do this? I'd bet that other labels would have interest in some of those Jr Walker & The All Stars LPs which have never been released digitally in any form.

I guess the difference might be this - the people running these smaller labels are doing it because they love the music, and are content if their releases avoid a loss and make just a small profit. Also, they probably have lower overhead costs than Universal.

I've just placed my pre-order on Amazon UK for "Love Keys", and I hope that Real Gone & SoulMusic will bring us more. I bought the first two Tata Vega albums on cd from SoulMusic when they were released. But if the third and fourth Tata Vega albums are released as lossy downloads only, I'm not going to buy them because I don't want to support that approach for future releases.

By the way, the first two Tata Vega albums on SoulMusic have the same bonus tracks as the download albums listed above. You can buy them as cds and rip them to your favorite format - flac, mp3 or whatever.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Full-Speed-Ahead-Tata-Vega/dp/B004PHPZW2/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1392467033&sr=1-1&keywords=tata+vega

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Totally-Tata-Expanded-Vega/dp/B004PHPZWW/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1392467060&sr=1-3&keywords=tata+vega

paul_nixon
02-15-2014, 08:38 AM
Andy,

I don't care how you do it just keep doing it....I know how much this project has meant to you and for how long so I'm just pleased to have them and to know you finally have 'part' of your mission filled.
Makes me laugh how everyone is moaning about downloads, there's a whole generation who don't know what a CD is - let alone a tape, or an LP. Even downloads are becoming a thing of the past so please let's just get this heritage shared no matter how....

soulster
02-15-2014, 09:09 AM
Still, I think I will try to hunt down some of the LPs I want that have never been released on cd. I can always digitize them - with crackles and all - and perhaps try to improve them later. If you do that, just make sure you digitize them at 24-bit and leave them that way. If you want to play them on CD-R in the interim, make a copy of it, then dither the copy to 16-bit.

Here is a sample http://ppl.ug/55bh_gUj8_4/ [[http://ppl.ug/55bh_gUj8_4/) of needledrop I did several years ago of a Jermaine Jackson album. I picked a quiet song that is the last track of a side where noise is normally more present and inner-groove distortion can rear its ugly head. However, I used restoration tools to clean up the noise, and I use a cart with a stylus that produces no distortion whatsoever. So, it sounds like it came from a CD. The only thing is that the sample I provided is the lowly mp3 version, so the full resolution of my master is not there. The sample is less than two minutes long, and you can download it or play it right there.

Here is sample of a Patricia Holloway 45 I did around that same time. http://ppl.ug/blSjFgGhgu8/
This one is a beat-up 45 that I couldn't get a decent play out of until I got that cart [[which is the Audio Technica 150mlx) and some decent restoration tools. Trust me when I say that the 45 was ready for the garbage. It is very crackly and dusty, as I didn't take that good care of it as a kid, and it was a hand-me-down from my father along with some other 45s he had when he moved from Chicago. I had to save it because, while the song is a B-side, it holds sentimental value to me, and I have not located a better source since 1970, or whenever it came out, as there is no copyright language on the Capitol Records label.
Today, in 2014, I can do an even better job because I have even better software at my disposal, and refined techniques.

soulster
02-15-2014, 09:12 AM
...let's just get this heritage shared no matter how....
Uh...no. Quality must be offered, and you can't get that by streaming. You also can't keep a stream.

calvin
02-15-2014, 09:28 AM
If you do that, just make sure you digitize them at 24-bit and leave them that way. If you want to play them on CD-R in the interim, make a copy of it, then dither the copy to 16-bit.

What software do you recommend for that first step, digitizing to 24 bit?

calvin
02-15-2014, 09:37 AM
Makes me laugh how everyone is moaning about downloads, there's a whole generation who don't know what a CD is - let alone a tape, or an LP. Even downloads are becoming a thing of the past so please let's just get this heritage shared no matter how....

It's nothing against Harry, Andy, or their team, it's about the people running the major music labels - probably Universal more so than Sony or Warner, as I haven't seen them offer a re-release ONLY as a lossy download yet. And I also think that Sony and Warner generally do a better job with their back catalogues in terms of keeping releases by the major artists available.

Imagine if, back when audio cassettes started to be mass marketed, the music labels discontinued vinyl and said "audio cassette or nothing - take it or leave it!" If you're going to switch over to a new format, shouldn't that new format be an improvement over the old one?

You make us sound like dinosaurs. I would argue that it's the major music labels who are not embracing technological advances. Lossy compressions were developed back when even desktops had very limited storage - today you can easily get a smart phone with 32 GB, and there's increasing movement towards cloud storage for mobile devices. And it doesn't cost any more to produce a lossless download. So why exactly do we need lossy compression? I guess just because that's the way they've been doing it, they don't think consumers care [[they may be mostly right), and they don't want to change.

Ngroove
02-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Andy,

I don't care how you do it just keep doing it....I know how much this project has meant to you and for how long so I'm just pleased to have them and to know you finally have 'part' of your mission filled.
I genuinely don't think that "generation" who knows not of a CD / cassette / vinyl knows, or even bothers to care who "Tata Vega" is - probably just "jammin'" away with their "Drakes" or "Justin Beibers".

paul_nixon
02-15-2014, 12:45 PM
Far from thinking you are dinosaurs I am stating the obvious - even the record labels aren't always keeping pace, Spotify and Deezer are the way things are going at the minute. MOSTLY and I mean mostly and do not count myself in this bracket the great music buying pubic do not give a stuff what the quality is - look in the street you will see the kids wearing earphones and listening to music they just rent for a few bucks a month, they read books that they don't have to store. We may love our vinyl, our tapes, our CD's but believe you me it's them that think we are the odd ones out and in the main they are the audience the record companies are going for rightly or wrongly. After all they are a business - they have to make money to survive and selling a few CD's here and there to a dying market is not going to satisfy their shareholders. Listen I don't necessarily agree with this and it is only my view, but I think we have to consider ourselves damn lucky that we get what we get. Perhaps if enough of those that care make enough fuss the labels might produce something of better quality who knows.

calvin
02-15-2014, 12:48 PM
I genuinely don't think that "generation" who knows not of a CD / cassette / vinyl knows, or even bothers to care who "Tata Vega" is - probably just "jammin'" away with their "Drakes" or "Justin Beibers".

I also wonder if Universal knows what it's doing. The target customer group for these releases is already pretty small and probably consists of many "old timers", and then they release it in a format - lossy download only [[?) - that will put off many of these potential buyers?

I don't know about Tata Vega and how well the Soul Music cds sold. But I find it strange that there are albums by the Supremes [[!) that have either never appeared on cd or did only once, 20+ years ago, and can't be found now except as very expensive used copies. I guess if they were under Sony or Warner we'd already have a box set of the complete albums at a low per-cd price.

And then there's the Four Tops on ABC Dunhill [[also Universal now), Jr Walker and the All Stars, etc... where are all these titles?

Fortunately Harry & Co did get the Complete Motown Singles project completed. The business suits at Universal would probably never approve something like that today.

soulster
02-15-2014, 02:59 PM
What software do you recommend for that first step, digitizing to 24 bit?
Many types of software will do it. Just do not use Audacity if you are on Windows. It will not actually record at 24-bit.

soulster
02-15-2014, 03:02 PM
And I also think that Sony and Warner generally do a better job with their back catalogues in terms of keeping releases by the major artists available. I would say that Sony is the worst. EMI was the worst until they were dissolved.

And it doesn't cost any more to produce a lossless download. So why exactly do we need lossy compression? I guess just because that's the way they've been doing it, they don't think consumers care [[they may be mostly right), and they don't want to change.

People still value quantity over quality. That's why.

tamla617
02-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Soulster
That Patrice Holloway track you cleaned up sounds really good, if that was an ashtray before, you've done an outstanding job on it!

carole cucumber
02-15-2014, 07:06 PM
[QUOTE=soulster;213152]
Here is sample of a Patricia Holloway 45 I did around that same time. http://ppl.ug/blSjFgGhgu8/
while the song is a B-side, it holds sentimental value to me, and I have not located a better source since 1970, or whenever it came out, as there is no copyright language on the Capitol Records label.

The song is available on "Love & Desire The Patrice Holloway Anthology"
CDKENT 354.
The writers of the song are Eddie Singleton, John Baer, Kenneth Morris. The producers,Danny Jansen, Bob Engmann and Clarence McDonald for La La Productions. Capitol 3176 [[1971)

Ngroove
02-15-2014, 07:36 PM
Back to talkin' about Tata Vega and her music: I'm quite happy with "I Just Keep Thinking About You Baby" - 12" on my Funkology Volume Three: Dance Divas, and perhaps I'll think about getting "Get It Up For Love" by Motown Chartbusters Vol.10 sometime.

carole cucumber
02-15-2014, 07:55 PM
Sorry to intrude Ngroove, but I did notice a piece of irony that escaped me at first about Capitol 3176 by Patrice Holloway- the composers of the A-side 'Evidence' are R. Moore & G. Jackson and the publishing company is Fame Publishing Company. The opening notes of the B-side "That's the Chance You Gotta Take" mimics the opening notes of 'One Bad Apple' -a then recent hit for the Osmonds [[and written by G[[eorge) Jackson of Fame Publishing Company. The publishers of "That's the Chance You Gotta Take".....Green Apple Music Company/Tarca Music Company.

carole cucumber
02-15-2014, 07:57 PM
Back to talkin' about Tata Vega and her music: I'm quite happy with "I Just Keep Thinking About You Baby" - 12" on my Funkology Volume Three: Dance Divas, and perhaps I'll think about getting "Get It Up For Love" by Motown Chartbusters Vol.10 sometime.Ngroove, Thanks for the reminder. I have both of those CD's and will have to pull them out and give them a listen.

Lulu
02-15-2014, 10:43 PM

There has been a lot of renewed interest in Tata since she appeared in 20 Feet From Stardom.

soulster
02-16-2014, 12:47 AM
[QUOTE=soulster;213152]
while the song is a B-side, it holds sentimental value to me, and I have not located a better source since 1970, or whenever it came out, as there is no copyright language on the Capitol Records label.

The song is available on "Love & Desire The Patrice Holloway Anthology"
CDKENT 354.
The writers of the song are Eddie Singleton, John Baer, Kenneth Morris. The producers,Danny Jansen, Bob Engmann and Clarence McDonald for La La Productions. Capitol 3176 [[1971) Thanks! Of course, Holloway was the voice of the original Josie & The Pussycats cartoon in the early 70s. Great pop music. Too bad she wasn't more successful.