PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes: LIVERPOOL

test

marybrewster
02-10-2014, 01:16 AM
Am I the only one that thinks with all of the Beatles 50th hoopla going on that the timing couldn't be more perfect for an expanded release of the Supremes "Liverpool"?

marymary
02-10-2014, 03:08 AM
Do they really have more covers in the vault?

Maybe an expanded version if Motown Meets The Beatles... Haven't listened to the Supremes record in a while but don't remember being that impressed. Honestly though an entire record of Beatles covers [[or any single band) will be filler heavy, better to consolidate the strongest songs from across the labels, will make for a better record overall.

RossHolloway
02-10-2014, 11:31 AM
Enough with the Beatles

Glenpwood
02-10-2014, 12:38 PM
I did hear the girls Can't Buy Me Love from this album on the Breakfast With The Beatles radio show yesterday so that was an unexpected treat.

markdtiller
02-10-2014, 04:05 PM
There is "I Saw Him Standing There" and "Not Fade Away" which The Beatles recorded which were both on "Let The Music Play" boxset. They performed "I Feel Fine" and "8 Days A Week" [[with verses by Mary & Flo) live on tv, but don't know if they ever recorded it.

antceleb12
02-10-2014, 04:56 PM
The "Liverpool" LP was one of their most rushed records, production-wise, but the girls sound like they had a blast recording it. I'd be interested to see if there were any more tracks left in the vaults.

Lulu
02-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Enough with the Beatles

I have to agree here. I don't want to discount their importance, popularity or legacy but Motown 50 pretty much came and went without any fanfare as did The Supremes 50th anniversary. This year marks 50 years since WDOLG and I doubt we'll see anything rolled out for that.

Also, The Beatles, The Stones, and Elvis are ALWAYS getting hoo haa'd and feted and the black artists that influenced them seem to slip by with nary a mention.

marv2
02-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Well at least Mary Wilson does what she can to make sure the Supremes get remembered as with her "My Supremes" magazine from last year!

Lulu
02-10-2014, 07:31 PM
A Bit of Liverpool is one of the weakest Supremes album IMHO! They put a lot more into their covers on A'Go-Go​!!!

BigAl
02-11-2014, 09:09 AM
This was truly the sloppiest Supremes album. It reminds me a bit of Martha & The Vandellas Heat Wave album [[with the exception of the title track). Martha once told me that album [[again, with the exception of the title track) was recorded in one all-nighter which amounted to a forced march, when the group, earlier on the same evening, had returned from an exhausting tour yet were sent into the studio unwillingly. The Supremes' Liverpool album gives me the same sense: that it was hastily recorded, given little or no post-production, and rush-released to cash in on the British invasion and the Supremes' recent rocket-ride to the top of the charts. I'll admit that the vocals are energetic, yet it was energy wasted on nothing.

kenneth
02-11-2014, 11:19 AM
This was truly the sloppiest Supremes album. It reminds me a bit of Martha & The Vandellas Heat Wave album [[with the exception of the title track). Martha once told me that album [[again, with the exception of the title track) was recorded in one all-nighter which amounted to a forced march, when the group, earlier on the same evening, had returned from an exhausting tour yet were sent into the studio unwillingly. The Supremes' Liverpool album gives me the same sense: that it was hastily recorded, given little or no post-production, and rush-released to cash in on the British invasion and the Supremes' recent rocket-ride to the top of the charts. I'll admit that the vocals are energetic, yet it was energy wasted on nothing.

I'm afraid I agree entirely. The Heat Wave album was long out of print when I first started to look for it, and I loved the choice of songs, but when I heard it I thought it sounded as if Martha had a cold and I think in her book she says she did. They deserved so much better. Yes, cashing in on a hit must happen but to slap together an album when the artist doesn't even sound anything near to her best is another.

I've never been able to listen to Liverpool except for the "House of the Rising Sun" which I think sounds even more plaintive coming from a girl singer, and that Diane does a great job. Still, I've hoped that all the various concept albums would eventually be combined into a great package, and I'd love to own it for the sake of We Remember Sam Cooke, Country & Western and Pop, and even [[I know, I know) Funny Girl.

marybrewster
02-11-2014, 11:44 AM
I'm afraid I agree entirely. The Heat Wave album was long out of print when I first started to look for it, and I loved the choice of songs, but when I heard it I thought it sounded as if Martha had a cold and I think in her book she says she did. They deserved so much better. Yes, cashing in on a hit must happen but to slap together an album when the artist doesn't even sound anything near to her best is another.

I've never been able to listen to Liverpool except for the "House of the Rising Sun" which I think sounds even more plaintive coming from a girl singer, and that Diane does a great job. Still, I've hoped that all the various concept albums would eventually be combined into a great package, and I'd love to own it for the sake of We Remember Sam Cooke, Country & Western and Pop, and even [[I know, I know) Funny Girl.

kenneth, you're right. "Liverpool" would be great coupled with "Sam Cooke" and "CWP". Perhaps even "Merry Christmas" thrown in for good measure.

As far as "Funny Girl", well, I'm still wishin' and hopin' for a physical release.

kenneth
02-11-2014, 12:02 PM
kenneth, you're right. "Liverpool" would be great coupled with "Sam Cooke" and "CWP". Perhaps even "Merry Christmas" thrown in for good measure.

As far as "Funny Girl", well, I'm still wishin' and hopin' for a physical release.

Thanks Mary! Great minds think alike!

Lulu
02-11-2014, 03:39 PM
Funny Girl, if anything was a good testament to Diana's broader appeal as a pop artist and stylist. I think she does some fine work there and makes me wonder what a career on Broadway would have been like for her after she left the group [[or heck, even during! a group member could do a show today and get away with it without anyone batting an eye!)

smark21
02-11-2014, 09:18 PM
Interesting you bring up the rushed quality of the Heat Wave album [[and probably Liverpool) but most of the songs [[except the 2 issued singles and B sides) on the Beatles first album Please Please Me were recorded in one night. One difference was that they tapped into songs they had been performing and playing in the clubs over the past few years.

RossHolloway
02-11-2014, 09:50 PM
I think the larger "issue" with Liverpool is that most of the original songs were marginal - at best- to begin with. Lipstick/pig, silk purse/sow's ear...

RossHolloway
02-11-2014, 09:57 PM
Heatwave was the first album I ever heard by Martha & The Vandellas, and I can pinpoint that moment as when I fell in love with the group. I was still in high school in the mid-80s and just discovering the Motown sound. I think the group does a credible job on all the songs and I think Martha nails all the lead vocals. . It's a well produced album and you can play it all the way thru. What's not to like?

Roger Polhill
02-11-2014, 11:21 PM
Heatwave was the first album I ever heard by Martha & The Vandellas, and I can pinpoint that moment as when I fell in love with the group. I was still in high school in the mid-80s and just discovering the Motown sound. I think the group does a credible job on all the songs and I think Martha nails all the lead vocals. . It's a well produced album and you can play it all the way thru. What's not to like?
I agree totally Ross, it is still a favourite of mine and I play it often. I would not consider playing any of the "concept albums" aside from Sam Cooke.

RossHolloway
02-12-2014, 12:02 AM
I agree totally Ross, it is still a favourite of mine and I play it often. I would not consider playing any of the "concept albums" aside from Sam Cooke.
I also like the Sam Cooke lp, I think their Tribute to SC in their live act is much better than the actual album IMO. I've always thought there were at least one or two tracks on all their concept albums that really stood out. Example: Sunset from CW&P, I've always thought that should have been a part of their live act, I love the harmonies and DianA and Mary trading lead vocals- and they sound great on this song. I love the entire Rodgers & Hart album and there are even a couple of standout cuts on SAPFG album: Diana really sells and nails I'm The Greatest Star. Probably the best cut on the entire album.

144man
02-12-2014, 12:24 AM

I also thoroughly enjoyed the HeatWave album.

vgalindo
02-12-2014, 12:41 AM

Heatwave was my first Martha and the Vandellas album that I bought. I loved it. Played it all the time. I like some of the covers by Martha better than the original artists. Love "My boyfriends back" and "Hello Stranger" just as much as the originals.

franjoy56
02-12-2014, 08:35 AM
A Bit of Liverpool is one of the weakest Supremes album IMHO! They put a lot more into their covers on A'Go-Go​!!!
Well if u look at the sales record of liverpool it is t second best selling concept slbum of the supremes and mary and flo turn in some great vocals not just diane who was also great but that album was a group effort especially you cant do that.
Among others such cant buy me love and house of....The supremes sing r and hart is their best selling concrpt project. The christmas album is a seasonal album but hardly a supremes slbum except for 2 tracks and flo s unreleasd tracks.

marymary
02-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Well if u look at the sales record of liverpool it is t second best selling concept slbum of the supremes

IMO I would credit those towards British Invasion hysteria of the time rather than a reflection of the quality of the album. Anything marginally related to the Beatles & co would blow up.

Lulu
02-12-2014, 06:23 PM
IMO I would credit those towards British Invasion hysteria of the time rather than a reflection of the quality of the album. Anything marginally related to the Beatles & co would blow up.

Probably so although I really like Mary Wells post-Motown album Love Songs To The Beatles​. She sounds so sweet!

johnjeb
02-13-2014, 11:36 AM
I appreciate the Liverpool album more now than when I bought the vinyl in 1966. It's Motown trying to do garage-rock of that era. A sound I didn't like by anyone at that time but can appreciate now.

I like Liverpool better than Sam Cooke which I find boring. Every song sounds the same, the only exception is Flo' s Good News. I much prefer their LIVE medley from Copa which is so energetic. I bought the Sam Cooke album based on the Copa medley and was so disappointed when I played it.

Funny Girl is enjoyable and I loved it when it was released. I rarely play my CD-R.

CW&P is also one of my favorites, probably right behind R&H as my favorite of their specialty albums.