PDA

View Full Version : Thelma - I Want To Go Back There Again

test

mysterysinger
02-09-2014, 06:47 PM
Several have recorded Berry's song "I Want To Go Back There Again". Chris Clark's is the version we know and love but we also know that Thelma Houston recorded it and it is available by Thelma in two versions.

The released single I've always felt was nothing special but there's an earlier version which personally I love. This has a much stronger vocal performance by Thelma and is more heavily orchestrated. As far as I know it is only available on The Best Of Thelma Houston [[the green cover) and is shown as extended but feels quite different.

Diana Ross and Shanice have also recorded the song but Thelma's "extended" is the one for me and at least on a par with Chris's. Anyone agree?

roger
02-10-2014, 06:08 AM
I take it you mean this version Mysterysinger ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7PZn5zdmZk
I don't think I'd ever heard it before, it certainly sounds a lot "fresher" than the version that was released as a 45.
I'm not sure whether it is "better" than the version by CHRIS CLARK. A few years back I saw them both on stage at the Divas of Motown show at the Hammersmith Apollo, maybe someone should have got the two ladies in the same room and asked them for their own opinion. :)

Roger

gordy_hunk
02-10-2014, 09:17 AM
I always thought that this was a superb first release for Thelma on Tamla Motown. I was bitterly disappointed when it failed to sell / make the charts.

mysterysinger
02-10-2014, 09:28 AM
Yes that sounds like the version I'm referring to. I think some of the words presented on screen leave a lot to be desired lol. I also saw the Divas Of Motown - loved the show.

danman869
02-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Who transcribed those lyrics used in that video?! They're wrong in multiple places! LOL

Lulu
02-10-2014, 07:32 PM
Thelma's is definitely the best version - she rocks it!

thisoldheart
02-11-2014, 07:16 PM
thelma sounda as if she is trying to sound like chris clark!