PDA

View Full Version : Meet the Supremes - Bar Stool Cover - Motown album 606

test

woodward
02-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Trivia question. Does anyone have any knowledge whether the initial Supremes album, Meet The Supremes [[bar stool cover) was ever released on a cassette version?

I have never seen a listing of released Motown cassettes and I do not know of the existence of one.

Thanks.

johnny_raven
02-08-2014, 06:46 PM
I have the same question re: reel to reel.

milven
02-08-2014, 07:11 PM
There was a re-release of Meet The Supremes LP on cassette and CD in 1990. I think they had the original cover on them.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/meet-the-supremes-mw0000203701/releases

carole cucumber
02-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Trivia question. Does anyone have any knowledge whether the initial Supremes album, Meet The Supremes [[bar stool cover) was ever released on a cassette version? I have never seen a listing of released Motown cassettes and I do not know of the existence of one. Thanks.It may depend on whether you are speaking about early cassettes or re-issue cassettes...When Motown undertook the massive re-issue campaign of lps & cassettes in the early-mid 1980's, the "Meet the Supremes" cassette carried the same basic number as the re-issue lp [[MOT 5223) with the addition of a 'C' to designate the cassette version [[MOTC 5223) .Although I had seen and purchased several early Motown cassettes [[not re-issues) at a used record store, I don't remember ever seeing an original "Meet the Supremes" in the flimsy form-fitted box with the plastic pull-out insert that held the cassette in place. My guess is that due to the fact that pre-recorded cassettes didn't catch on until the mid-late 1960's, Motown and many other record companies didn't want to invest backward but to utilize the 'new' technology for more recent releases. Something very similar happened with the early days of cd. Record companies didn't anticipate and were taken by surprise when consumers began to look for 'oldies' in addition to the current recordings that were being offered to them. However, this time they began to see the value of looking backward.

carole cucumber
02-08-2014, 07:42 PM
There was a re-release of Meet The Supremes LP on cassette and CD in 1990. I think they had the original cover on them.http://www.allmusic.com/album/meet-the-supremes-mw0000203701/releasesAlthough the cd version of "Meet the Supremes" was first issued on 1/30/90, a cassette version had already been available since the early 1980's as part of the Motown 25th Anniversary series of lp & cassette re-issues. See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEET-THE-SUPREMES-Cassette-S-S-BRAND-NEW-Diana-Ross-/171206251471?nma=true&si=YSmjv8%252BoGPnTv2B1BnIFAlatQJk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557In fact, the MCA Distribution Order Sheet for 1/30/90 heading states:MOTOWN ADDS 4 NEW TITLES TO THEIR MIDLINE CATALOG and adds new configurations on some best-sellers in the Motown Compact Classics and Motown 5000 Midline Series. [[And in case anyone is curious- the 4 new titles were Gladys Knight & the Pips- "Silk N Soul"; Jimmy Ruffin- "Ruff N' Ready" ; Jr. Walker and the All Stars- "Gotta Hold On To This Feeling", The Originals- "Portrait Of the Originals" )

carole cucumber
02-08-2014, 07:49 PM
Here are the 1980's cassette re-issue and the 1990 re-figured cover to co-ordinate with new re-issues covers;http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEET-THE-SUPREMES-Cassette-S-S-BRAND-NEW-Diana-Ross-/171206251471?nma=true&si=YSmjv8%252BoGPnTv2B1BnIFAlatQJk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meet-Supremes-CASSETTE/dp/B00000ENXZ

thomas96
02-08-2014, 11:12 PM
I have the same question re: reel to reel.

It was not on reel to reel.

There are no "early" cassette versions of the bar stool cover. I'm pretty sure I've seen a cassette of it with the bar stool cover, but I don't have a copy to confirm. Likely an 80's or 90's reissue though.

johnjeb
02-09-2014, 11:31 AM
I recall seeing Meet The Supremes second cover, with face shots and blue dresses, on reel-to-reel back in the mid-Sixties. I think it was paired with another of their albums, possibly one of their specialty-themed albums from 1965. I always regretted not buying it. I did not have a tape player, and even back then that format was rare for Pop and becoming obsolete.

Years later I bought 8-Track MOT8-5606 Meet The Supremes and A Bit Of Liverpool - no cover and no picture on the cartridge. I assume that the second Meet cover would have been the cover. I also have Sam Cooke and HDH on 8-Track, each as separate albums. HDH comes in a box which lists about a dozen or so other 8-Track releases from Motown up to late 1966. Interestingly it does not list Liverpool as paired with Meet.

Another interesting thing about the Meet/Liverpool match-up is that two songs from Liverpool are on Track 2 with songs from Meet and two songs from Meet are on Track 4 with songs from Liverpool.

nathanj06
02-09-2014, 12:57 PM
I have a few Supremes cassettes and Meet The Supremes is one of them. I haven't looked at them in years. I doubt they were fully played. I know 25th Ani. is one including the picture cards. If anyone is interested you can email me. nathanj06@yahoo.com