PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson's solo motown album

test

mwmr
02-08-2014, 04:14 PM
So now we've had all the supremes 70s albums on cd and amazingly Scherrie and Susayes Partners there's only Mary's solo album left to reissue on cd... Can we have it please ???

dianas first solo has been reissued, flo's solo album made it to cd, as did Jeans so time for Miss Wilsons

milven
02-08-2014, 08:34 PM
That will be released right after Mary's latest CD is released which for the last ten years has been "any day now" ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;) Was totally surprised that Sherrie & Susaye was released on CD, so the chance of releasing it is not totally unrealistic. And it would great the Supremes Completeists

marv2
02-09-2014, 01:33 AM
I just learned that they are playing Mary's "Walk the Line" in rotation this month in KHOL's Dept. Stores.

markdtiller
02-10-2014, 04:11 PM
And while your at it please add bonus tracks:

Red Hot [[7")
Red Hot [[Instrumental)
Red Hot [[12")
Pick Up The Pieces [[7")
Love Talk
Save Me
You Danced My Heart Around The Stars
Green River
Red Hot [[Donald Bumps Remix)

marv2
02-10-2014, 05:38 PM
And while your at it please add bonus tracks:

Red Hot [[7")
Red Hot [[Instrumental)
Red Hot [[12")
Pick Up The Pieces [[7")
Love Talk
Save Me
You Danced My Heart Around The Stars
Green River
Red Hot [[Donald Bumps Remix)

Good choices but the collection would not be complete without "The One I Love [[Push Has Come to Shovin')"!

blueskies
02-10-2014, 06:03 PM
Good choices but the collection would not be complete without "The One I Love [[Push Has Come to Shovin')"!
YES!!!! The One I Love [[Push Comes To Shove)....one of her best IMO.

markdtiller
02-10-2014, 06:21 PM
Agreed but that was one of the later a demo circa 1987 not recorded with Motown.

marv2
02-10-2014, 06:22 PM
YES!!!! The One I Love [[Push Comes To Shove)....one of her best IMO.

Totally agree! That should have been released. I bet that would have been her first single for Atlantic Records if they could have come to terms.

marv2
02-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Agreed but that was one of the later a demo circa 1987 not recorded with Motown.

That's true. There could be a compilation disc that could include those and her released singles from the 90's like "Turn Around", "U", etc,.etc

Lulu
02-10-2014, 07:27 PM
I just learned that they are playing Mary's "Walk the Line" in rotation this month in KHOL's Dept. Stores.

Why would Kohl's be playing a twenty+ year old Mary Wilson album that didn't even chart? I can only think an employee who is also a fan threw it on the playlist? Granted, "I Am Changing" is my favorite Mary vocal [[along with "Touch" and "You Are The Heart Of Me"!) but this album from '92 playing in '14 at a department store makes no sense.

Lulu
02-10-2014, 07:30 PM
No offense to Miss Wilson, the fabulous Hal Davis and the fierce Russ Terrana but this album [[for me, at least) was a real doozie...I've tried to enjoy it but can't find a track that sticks with me whereas the other Supremes efforts from 1979: The Boss and Partners are divine!

marv2
02-10-2014, 09:06 PM
Why would Kohl's be playing a twenty+ year old Mary Wilson album that didn't even chart? I can only think an employee who is also a fan threw it on the playlist? Granted, "I Am Changing" is my favorite Mary vocal [[along with "Touch" and "You Are The Heart Of Me"!) but this album from '92 playing in '14 at a department store makes no sense.

I don't know either, but it's playing in Khol's stores across the country.

Lulu
02-10-2014, 09:16 PM
I will get to the bottom of it! Just you wait! If that's the case, I'm going to give them a copy of Partners ​too!!!

supremester
02-10-2014, 09:45 PM
How did you learn it is playing across the country in rotation? I'm glad Mary is getting played as it was a worthy project, but how often is it being played?

smark21
02-10-2014, 09:52 PM
Are you sure it's not the song "Walk the LIne" and not the album getting played at Kohl's? Perhaps it's getting played because rights to play it are cheap? I've never been in Kohl's. What sort of music do they pipe in on their store sound systems?

marv2
02-11-2014, 08:15 AM
Are you sure it's not the song "Walk the LIne" and not the album getting played at Kohl's? Perhaps it's getting played because rights to play it are cheap? I've never been in Kohl's. What sort of music do they pipe in on their store sound systems?

It is just the single version by Mary Wilson that is being played.

mwmr
02-11-2014, 11:39 AM
No offense to Miss Wilson, the fabulous Hal Davis and the fierce Russ Terrana but this album [[for me, at least) was a real doozie...I've tried to enjoy it but can't find a track that sticks with me whereas the other Supremes efforts from 1979: The Boss and Partners are divine!

It's interesting how peoples tastes differ.I personally loathe the Partners album although i have bought the CD re-issue for completist sake.

I love Scherries voice but don't like the album

Marys album was passable..def not a classic but bearable

Def needs a re-issue.Puzzles me why Japan issued Partners over this

marybrewster
02-11-2014, 11:47 AM
"Mary Wilson" would make a good companion piece to the "Let Yourself Go:The Final Sessions" set and the recent release of "Partners"

What about Scherrie's solo album, "Incredible", too?

Lulu
02-11-2014, 03:40 PM
Scherrie's album, Incredible is a good one. Maybe David Nathan and the folks over at soulmusic.com could tap into that one?

jobeterob
02-11-2014, 06:19 PM
It's interesting how peoples tastes differ.I personally loathe the Partners album although i have bought the CD re-issue for completist sake.

I love Scherries voice but don't like the album

Marys album was passable..def not a classic but bearable

Def needs a re-issue.Puzzles me why Japan issued Partners over this

There were always stories around that Partners sold pretty well or very well ~ some pretty large figures were circulated. I recall even as high as 200,000 copies ~ which sounds ridiculously high. And Red Hot was supposed to have only sold 3000 or 4000 copies. That may be why Partners got the Japanese release.

But there isn't a lot of logic to what comes out and what doesn't.

Lulu
02-11-2014, 08:56 PM
My opinion: Besides Diana, Scherrie and Susaye hold a lot more clout in the industry for their other projects outside of The Supremes. Mary has an awesome fan base and is truly the keeper of the flame when it comes to the group's legacy. Scherrie is a global favorite in the EDM realm and Susaye's songwriting is well-regarded. Sure, more people could probably identify Mary Wilson as the other recognizable name in the group but I think Susaye and Scherrie have done more widely-recognized projects after their Supremes careers.