PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson, Bettye LaVette @Apollo Beatles Fab 50

test

imnokid
02-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Marv, I know that YOU will appreciate this.

marv2
02-08-2014, 02:17 PM

You just made my day......my weekend! There with my two favorites!!! Thank you!

Marv

imnokid
02-08-2014, 02:44 PM
some short clips of the show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXKReLH_rpY

marv2
02-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Kev can't thank you enough for that. They had some real heavy hitters there I see. Did the same band play for all of them?

smark21
02-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Nice clips there, though only a couple of them are of Beatles songs. Can you tell us more about the event and what songs were performed [[Beatles and non-Beatles songs)? Leslie Uggams really sounded outstanding in that snippet of Jerome Kern's "Yesterdays".

marv2
02-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Nice clips there, though only a couple of them are of Beatles songs. Can you tell us more about the event and what songs were performed [[Beatles and non-Beatles songs)? Leslie Uggams really sounded outstanding in that snippet of Jerome Kern's "Yesterdays".

Yes I was surprised to see Leslie Uggams and Miss Bettye sounded great on "Eleanor Rigby".

imnokid
02-08-2014, 05:01 PM
It was the first of four events being put on in NYC by liverpool tour promotions in celebration of the Beatles arriving 50 years ago. There was a house band, but some of the artists brought along a pianist or guitarist. Most of the artists did one Beatle song and one of their own hits, which made no sense to me. Bettye did Eleanor Rigby & Blackbird. All profits were meant for NY food banks.
Leslie segued from Yesterday into Yesterdays.
Gary US Bonds, Bettye, Mary did Imagine, Leslie, Lulu, Lloyd Price, and others.
Dionne Warwick was a no show. said too much ice by her house, but we got in OK as did some other Jersey folk. Don't even ASK me what I Had The Time of My Life[[seen in the clip) had to do with the show!

imnokid
02-08-2014, 05:03 PM
Here's another pic.

marv2
02-08-2014, 05:06 PM
Here's another pic.

Whooooaaa.........! Three huge icons in one pic! You have outdid yourself and they look spectacular!

destruction
02-08-2014, 08:44 PM

Talented Timeless Titans.....Great shots.....Dressed to the Nines.

Love the Dueling Pixie Cuts in the first one.

As they often say on one of my fave shows....

"Underdog...put that on a T-shirt."

marv2
02-08-2014, 11:49 PM
It was the first of four events being put on in NYC by liverpool tour promotions in celebration of the Beatles arriving 50 years ago. There was a house band, but some of the artists brought along a pianist or guitarist. Most of the artists did one Beatle song and one of their own hits, which made no sense to me. Bettye did Eleanor Rigby & Blackbird. All profits were meant for NY food banks.
Leslie segued from Yesterday into Yesterdays.
Gary US Bonds, Bettye, Mary did Imagine, Leslie, Lulu, Lloyd Price, and others.
Dionne Warwick was a no show. said too much ice by her house, but we got in OK as did some other Jersey folk. Don't even ASK me what I Had The Time of My Life[[seen in the clip) had to do with the show!

I wished Dionne could have been there. I wished this or rather hope that this was filmed for a television special.

milven
02-09-2014, 01:11 AM
Did you get to see the show Marv?

imnokid
02-09-2014, 01:25 AM
Marv, I do not believe it was filmed for broadcast.

marv2
02-09-2014, 01:29 AM
Did you get to see the show Marv?

No, I'm in Detroit on business.

marv2
02-09-2014, 01:30 AM
Marv, I do not believe it was filmed for broadcast.

Well this one seems like it would have made a good HBO Special.

marv2
02-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Here is a review from the show:

http://medford.patch.com/groups/rock-journalist-joe-vig-/p/spectacular-show-at-the-apollo-theater-feb-6-2014--lulu-mary-wilson-of-supremes-beatles-event

imnokid
02-09-2014, 08:29 PM
As an attendee and music fan, not as BL's husband, I will say I was disappointed that they did not have everyone sing just Beatle songs. Seems like everyone but Bettye did one of their old hits, plus a Beatle song.

marv2
02-09-2014, 11:49 PM
As an attendee and music fan, not as BL's husband, I will say I was disappointed that they did not have everyone sing just Beatle songs. Seems like everyone but Bettye did one of their old hits, plus a Beatle song.

That is a little strange. I would have thought the entire evening would have been only about the Beatles music.

Lulu
02-10-2014, 07:35 PM
I thought the ladies all sounded great and agree...WTH was "I Had The Time of My Life" there? I understand one of the composers participated but talk about cheezy!

Roberta75
02-10-2014, 08:26 PM
I thought the ladies all sounded great and agree...WTH was "I Had The Time of My Life" there? I understand one of the composers participated but talk about cheezy!

Its a real honor to meet you Miss Lulu and Im glad you have the time of your life singing at the concert. i have loved you since I first heard To Sir with love and Shout and The man who sold the World and Weve got the tonight is a beautifful ballad. Welcome to the forum Lulu its a real thrill to talk to you.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Lulu
02-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Hehe Miss Roberta. It is nice to meet you too but I am not THAT Lulu! I wish!!! :D

Roberta75
02-10-2014, 08:47 PM
Hehe Miss Roberta. It is nice to meet you too but I am not THAT Lulu! I wish!!! :D

Oh im sorry dear I really thought you was the music superstar Lulu. lol

Anyway its still real nice to meet you Lulu.

Best regards,

Roberta

Lulu
02-10-2014, 08:58 PM
:rolleyes:

marv2
02-23-2014, 10:21 PM
Miss Bettye LaVette singing "Blackbird" At "NYC 50 Salutes The Beatles" at The Apollo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tswUVVj1jIM

supremester
02-23-2014, 11:00 PM
WOW WOW WOW! Mary looks like a million bucks! Love that dress. What did Mary sing? Dionne also?

marv2
02-23-2014, 11:34 PM
WOW WOW WOW! Mary looks like a million bucks! Love that dress. What did Mary sing? Dionne also?

Mary sang "Imagine" and "You Can't Hurry Love".

jillfoster
02-23-2014, 11:55 PM
Its a real honor to meet you Miss Lulu and Im glad you have the time of your life singing at the concert. i have loved you since I first heard To Sir with love and Shout and The man who sold the World and Weve got the tonight is a beautifful ballad. Welcome to the forum Lulu its a real thrill to talk to you.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Are you really that stupid? And your'e forgetting there is more than one famous Lulu, anyway.

supremester
02-24-2014, 02:09 PM
It's stupid to call people names on this board.

milven
02-24-2014, 06:49 PM
.....there is more than one famous Lulu, anyway.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bMyc7hp-HX4/StJFDN0S7mI/AAAAAAAAA6M/xz8t5VQd4HA/s400/lulu.jpg

jillfoster
02-24-2014, 07:59 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bMyc7hp-HX4/StJFDN0S7mI/AAAAAAAAA6M/xz8t5VQd4HA/s400/lulu.jpg

Sure is!!! And if your'e among country music fans, and you say "Lulu" people think of this woman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BujMSgGeeao

smark21
02-24-2014, 09:06 PM
Dionne Warwick backed out of the show due to the cold, icy conditions in NYC earlier this month.

marv2
02-25-2014, 12:23 AM
Dionne Warwick backed out of the show due to the cold, icy conditions in NYC earlier this month.

I had heard that. I think from Kev. It would have been great had Dionne been there to sing one of the Beatles songs.

marv2
02-25-2014, 01:42 AM
Mary Wilson, Bettye Lavette, Leslie Uggams, Gary U.S. Bonds and the rest of the cast.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMDXEw62f_o

supremester
02-25-2014, 05:30 AM
Thanks for that - Leslie Uggams scorching hot! I didn't know she was still working. She looks and sounds amazing.
some short clips of the show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXKReLH_rpY

Roberta75
02-25-2014, 12:07 PM
It's stupid to call people names on this board.

Oh dont worry about him supremesters. Foster is only looking for attention bless him.

Fondly,

Roberta