PDA

View Full Version : Motown Museum

test

backflipboy
02-06-2014, 10:39 AM
My best friend and I are about to realise one of our greatest dreams ....... To visit Detroit and in particular the Motown Museum !

We are planning a weeks long trip and will be leaving the UK on or about the 28th March 2014

He is a big Tigers fan, so will be hopefully catching a game [[or two!), can any of the locals point us in the direction of anything else, that is a "Must See", while we are there.

Peoples Records is already on the list ...... any do's and dont's to help us make the most of our visit !

Many Thanks

Kev

Ngroove
02-06-2014, 11:05 AM
Just bask, before the wall of records, Earl Van Dyke's and Joe Hunter's pianos, and the couch sometimes slept on by Marvin Gaye, hahaha. And buy, buy, BUY from their gift shop, souvenirs are neat enough to have as an immortal "memento" of the visit, but all those MOTOWN products - T-shirts, CDs, DVDs, books, glossy photos, ect.

grapevine
02-09-2014, 09:09 AM
...Kev ...I celebrated my 50th ...over just one weekend ...in Detroit ...in 2006 ...wonderful ...wonderful memories...!

http://faac.us/adf/messages/16041/126153.html?1161009853

:)

rrussi
02-09-2014, 01:52 PM
I wish you a safe, rewarding trip, however, do make safety top in priority. There used to be a saying that the only thing that doesn't freeze in a Detroit winter is crime; so be careful.

thomas96
02-09-2014, 02:04 PM
Go to Northern Lights Lounge and see Dennis Coffey perform, I believe, every Tuesday night.

If you're into jazz check out Baker's Keyboard Lounge and Bert's Marketplace.

I would also checkout the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn.

tamla617
02-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Backflipboy
You lucky man! I'll get there one day, I hope! Enjoy, Enjoy and Enjoy!!
I Second the visit to the Henry Ford museum [[If you're into cars)
Be careful tho', Detroit is in a mess so there isn't much money about and when no money and deprivation abound people are desperate. I'd use taxis. Plenty of locals here to ask.
It might be worth a visit to the other non music SDF forums to check for info.

tmd
02-10-2014, 09:24 PM
Makes for a nice bookend for the Motown Museum, very cool, even have a section on Detroit music through the decades. great lower section with a city out of the 1800's on the lower level. Great few hours- you will love it. Make sure you also go to Greek town and if you have a chance get a Coney at Lafayette Coney Island.
And if you have a few days make sure you go to the Detroit Zoo.

smark21
02-10-2014, 09:49 PM
Eastern Market if you like to sample foods and people watch.