PDA

View Full Version : 10 facts you may not have known about the tv show "good times"

test

glencro
01-28-2014, 08:15 AM
I'm sure most of u sgrew up watching this show
http://blacklikemoi.com/2012/03/10-facts-you-may-not-know-about-the-tv-show-good-times/

nosey
01-28-2014, 10:41 AM
Since I'm home everyday I watch the show on a somewhat regular basis and what I can't understand about their housekeeping skills is that they kept such a clean house but the refrigerator and some of the kitchen cabinets were always dingy and in need of paint. What's unrealistic about that is that type of family would have gone in their pockets and repainted those items. I know my parents would have.

soulster
01-28-2014, 11:57 AM
I knew all of that stuff! What made me the most angry is that J.J. and Michael's characters were turned into caricatures of what White people thought about Blacks.

glencro
01-28-2014, 01:29 PM
I meant to post this in the Clubhouse but Nosey I never noticed that before lol

Jerry Oz
01-28-2014, 01:44 PM
JJ's character was a forerunner of Fonzie and Urkel and highjacked most of the attention from otherwise strong ensembles. I'm amazed at how the writers portrayed a poor black family in one of the worst environments in the US. At its worst, it was embarrassing. And the same network went out of its way to mess with "Frank's Place", which in my opinion, was one of the finest comedies ever to be aired.

soulster
01-28-2014, 03:20 PM
JJ's character was a forerunner of Fonzie... No, "Happy Days" preceded "Good Times" by three days. There was no time to copy the character. Different networks, too. "Good Times" was on CBS, and "Happy Days" was on ABC.

And, even with Fonzie, he commanded respect, and was not viewed as a buffoon.

mr_june
01-28-2014, 03:28 PM
In the lyrics in the link the translation says "anytime you need a payment." Why would anyone need a payment? I always thought it said "anytime you meet a payment." That's bill time and makes more sense to me.

soulster
01-28-2014, 04:31 PM
In the lyrics in the link the translation says "anytime you need a payment." Why would anyone need a payment? I always thought it said "anytime you meet a payment." That's bill time and makes more sense to me.

There's a LOT of irony and sarcasm in the lyrics. Kind of like Chic's song "Good Times".

Good Times.
Any time you meet a payment. - Good Times.
Any time you need a friend. - Good Times.
Any time you're out from under.
Not getting hassled, not getting hustled.
Keepin' your head above water,
Making a wave when you can.

Temporary lay offs. - Good Times.
Easy credit rip offs. - Good Times.
Scratchin' and surviving. - Good Times.
Hangin in a chow line - Good Times.
Ain't we lucky we got 'em - Good Times.

CLOSING THEME LYRICS

Mmmmmm
Just lookin' out of the window.
Watchin' the asphalt grow.
Thinkin' how it all looks hand-me-down.
Good Times, yeah, yeah Good Times

Keepin' your head above water
Makin' a wave when you can

CLOSING THEME LYRICS

Mmmmmm
Just lookin' out of the window.
Watchin' the asphalt grow.
Thinkin' how it all looks hand-me-down.
Good Times, yeah, yeah Good Times

Keepin' your head above water
Makin' a wave when you can

http://www.lyricstime.com/tv-theme-good-times-lyrics.html

Roberta75
01-28-2014, 04:55 PM
I'm sure most of u sgrew up watching this show
http://blacklikemoi.com/2012/03/10-facts-you-may-not-know-about-the-tv-show-good-times/

I thought JJ's character was a real offensive stereostype and it really irked Ms Esthere Rolle and Mr John Amos. I used to cringe when hed do his Dynomite schtik and I know I can see how it bother John and Esther. The show was so great on so many levels and James and Florida Evans were such great parents but JJ's clowning around ruin the show for me. I stop watching the show after James and Florida left.

I loved Mr Amos when hed guest star on the Fresh Prince of Belair and The West Wings. Hes a real fine actor imo.

Roberta

soulster
01-28-2014, 05:07 PM
I also thought Michael's character was a bit over the top, too. It seemed to reinforce a lot of negative stereotypes of young Black people, that we're all militant, and hate whitey. Then, there was always the neighbor's sleazy boyfriends. Even Ether Rolle's character was a bit too much. Too anxious and fearful. And, John Amos, while he presented the strong Black father, was a bit too angry and ready to reach for the belt. That said "violent Black man" to white people. Another stereotype.

So, the show was riddled with stereotypes. Thelma's character was the only real one I can recall.

And, last, I realize they were all taped in front of a live audience. "Maude", "All In The Family" and "The Jeffersons" were too, but the fact that they had a Black family always talking loud made it all seem that much worse. An unintended stereotype there.

I bought the first season on DVD, but I can't bring myself to buy the rest because of it the negativity. I enjoyed the show "What's Happenin'" more.

marv2
01-28-2014, 08:23 PM
I was 12 or 13 years old when Good Times debut on television. I never dug deep enough to analyze the show or it's characters I just enjoyed it for what it was.....entertainment. Still, as an adult, I would use this particular program as an example of stereotyping ,because we did not know anyone that lived like that ,we would just laughed our heads off at some of the situations the characters got into each week.

skooldem1
01-28-2014, 08:53 PM
I enjoyed the show "What's Happenin'" more.

"What's Happening" is one of my favorite shows from that era. It never gets talked about when discussing black sitcoms from the 70's.

Jerry Oz
01-28-2014, 09:48 PM
No, "Happy Days" preceded "Good Times" by three days. There was no time to copy the character. Different networks, too. "Good Times" was on CBS, and "Happy Days" was on ABC.

And, even with Fonzie, he commanded respect, and was not viewed as a buffoon.

What I meant is that JJ highjacked the show, not that his character was similar to Fonzie's. He became the draw and when the writers realized that, he was central to most of the shows. That is what Arthur Fonzarelli was on "Happy Days" after a couple of years. Recall that he was just in the background as a sort of cool, albeit intimidating presence at first. But once people started liking him, he became bigger than the ensemble. Urkel did that on "Family Matters". To a lesser extent, Dwayne and Whitley's characters did the same on "Different World". He was originally a nerdy goofball and she was a conceited roommate, but eventually they were the focus of each show.

soulster
01-28-2014, 11:53 PM
I was 12 or 13 years old when Good Times debut on television. I never dug deep enough to analyze the show or it's characters I just enjoyed it for what it was.....entertainment. Still, as an adult, I would use this particular program as an example of stereotyping ,because we did not know anyone that lived like that ,we would just laughed our heads off at some of the situations the characters got into each week.

I was 11 years old when the show debut in early 1974. I did analyze the show because that was my nature. I also never knew anyone who lived poor, but, c'mon! Black people in the Cabrini-Green projects, or anywhere else, did not sit around all day and joke about being poor. It fueled stereotypes that Black people are lazy, didn't work, collected welfare, and were happy with their lot. Hmmm, kind of sounds like that stupid Duck Dynasty asshole.

soulster
01-28-2014, 11:58 PM
What I meant is that JJ highjacked the show, not that his character was similar to Fonzie's. He became the draw and when the writers realized that, he was central to most of the shows. That is what Arthur Fonzarelli was on "Happy Days" after a couple of years. Recall that he was just in the background as a sort of cool, albeit intimidating presence at first. But once people started liking him, he became bigger than the ensemble. That's not the way I remember it. "Fonzi" was the center of the show from the very first episode! I'll never forget walking into 6th grade class the next morning and all my classmates could talk about was "Fonzi this", "Fonzi that"!

The first actual episode was on "Love American Style". No Fonzi on there.

marv2
01-29-2014, 12:37 AM
I was 11 years old when the show debut in early 1974. I did analyze the show because that was my nature. I also never knew anyone who lived poor, but, c'mon! Black people in the Cabrini-Green projects, or anywhere else, sat around all day and joked about being poor. It fueled stereotypes that Black people are lazy, didn't work, collected welfare, and were happy with their lot. Hmmm, kind of sounds like that stupid Duck Dynasty asshole.

I should clarify what I said earlier. I knew poor people growing up. I even had cousins that once lived in Cabrini-Green over in Chicago. I even played in the playground over there in the sixties. What I/we did not know were poor people that were happy go lucky types about their station in life no matter how temporary or long term it was! I knew poor people in Detroit most certainly but we did not realize they were poor as children; we did not know what food stamps meant among other things. "Good Times" would lead some not even remotely familiar with poverty in America to believe that just having a subsidize or rent stablized apartment represented "Good Times" for some.

Oh another reason I watched regularly was Thelma was so finnneee........hehehehehehe!

soulster
01-29-2014, 01:06 AM
I should clarify what I said earlier. I knew poor people growing up. I even had cousins that once lived in Cabrini-Green over in Chicago. I even played in the playground over there in the sixties. What I/we did not know were poor people that were happy go lucky types about their station in life no matter how temporary or long term it was! I knew poor people in Detroit most certainly but we did not realize they were poor as children; we did not know what food stamps meant among other things. "Good Times" would lead some not even remotely familiar with poverty in America to believe that just having a subsidize or rent stablized apartment represented "Good Times" for some.

Oh another reason I watched regularly was Thelma was so finnneee........hehehehehehe!
I fixed a mistake in my post. refer to that last post to see the correction in bold.

soulster
01-29-2014, 01:14 AM
I knew poor people in Detroit most certainly but we did not realize they were poor as children; we did not know what food stamps meant among other things.

I didn't even know what food stamps were until the 90s!

"Good Times" would lead some not even remotely familiar with poverty in America to believe that just having a subsidize or rent stablized apartment represented "Good Times" for some.

Oh yeah! That's what they think, too!

She was skinny in the beginning, but she filled out nicely in the later years. Yeah!

BTW, I'm so glad this site allows us to talk freely about this stuff and not have a bunch of right-wing jerks throw insults.

jillfoster
01-29-2014, 02:30 AM
I was always pissed about the episode where the neighbor lady was eating dog food. I always kept shoutin at my screen, "What's wrong with you, lady!!! a bag of dry beans is chepaer than dog food!"

jillfoster
01-29-2014, 02:51 AM
I was 11 years old when the show debut in early 1974. I did analyze the show because that was my nature. I also never knew anyone who lived poor, but, c'mon! Black people in the Cabrini-Green projects, or anywhere else, did not sit around all day and joke about being poor. It fueled stereotypes that Black people are lazy, didn't work, collected welfare, and were happy with their lot. Hmmm, kind of sounds like that stupid Duck Dynasty asshole.

I don't think it that negative in terms of television as a whole at that time. Keep in mind, John Amos was coming off of Mary Tyler Moore playing Gordy the weatherman, and in a sixth or seventh season episode, Gordy comes back and Ted gets jealous because Gordy has gotten a gig as a network anchor. You had Space:1999 where the cast had a black doctor and chief computer expert. You had a black cop treated as a complete equal on The Rookies AND on S.W.A.T., The Jeffersons with their money, and all that entails. The thing is, I don't ever remember these kind of criticisms being leveled at Redd Foxx and Lawanda Paige, who you could argue were stereotypes as well. Of course, some people might freak out over them... and then some might go ballistic over Fat Albert. I hold every damn one of them in my heart with fondness.

marv2
01-29-2014, 11:10 AM
I was always pissed about the episode where the neighbor lady was eating dog food. I always kept shoutin at my screen, "What's wrong with you, lady!!! a bag of dry beans is chepaer than dog food!"

I remember that episode where then neighbor was played by Helen Martin. I also remember during the winter of 1977 it hit the news that many elderly were buying and eating Cat Food to survive.

marv2
01-29-2014, 11:15 AM
I don't think it that negative in terms of television as a whole at that time. Keep in mind, John Amos was coming off of Mary Tyler Moore playing Gordy the weatherman, and in a sixth or seventh season episode, Gordy comes back and Ted gets jealous because Gordy has gotten a gig as a network anchor. You had Space:1999 where the cast had a black doctor and chief computer expert. You had a black cop treated as a complete equal on The Rookies AND on S.W.A.T., The Jeffersons with their money, and all that entails. The thing is, I don't ever remember these kind of criticisms being leveled at Redd Foxx and Lawanda Paige, who you could argue were stereotypes as well. Of course, some people might freak out over them... and then some might go ballistic over Fat Albert. I hold every damn one of them in my heart with fondness.

I look at it this way, was Jackie Gleason aka "Ralph Cramden" and "Alice" of the "Honeymooners" stereotypes of poor-working class white people living in Brooklyn? Were the Brady Bunch stereotypes of kids growing up in suburbia? I just enjoyed the programs and never focused on the socio-economic images they projected to the country. Right now, I watch the British program "Coronation Street" but I don't believe it represents everyone from Northern England.

soulster
01-29-2014, 12:27 PM
Well, Marv, "The Partridge Family" is a show I identified with from a cultural standpoint. But, I cam tell you that "The Brady Bunch" was not full of stereotypes. "Julia" is the one I identified with the most in every way, except I also had a sister.

Jerry Oz
01-29-2014, 01:37 PM
Man, Corey Baker was the first character that I identified with. I also loved "Room 222" and "The Mod Squad" because of the level racial playing field.

Roberta75
01-29-2014, 03:25 PM

If the lady didnt eat pet fiood there wouldnt have been a show. Thats what the show was focusing on because eating pet foods was a real sad reality for many people.

nosey
01-29-2014, 04:12 PM
If the lady didnt eat pet fiood there wouldnt have been a show. Thats what the show was focusing on because eating pet foods was a real sad reality for many people.

I'm with you Roberta, the show did tackle such issues as VD, teenage sex, unemployment, child abuse, etc. They all used to quote statistics and raised awareness about things that were prevalent then that are still issues today.

Roberta75
01-29-2014, 04:14 PM
I'm with you Roberta, the show did tackle such issues as VD, teenage sex, unemployment, child abuse, etc. They all used to quote statistics and raised awareness about things that were prevalent then that are still issues today.

Thanks nosey i hope you are well dear.

Fondly,

Roberta

soulster
01-29-2014, 04:24 PM
Man, Corey Baker was the first character that I identified with. I also loved "Room 222" and "The Mod Squad" because of the level racial playing field. I haven't seen Julia since I was seven years old! Is that on DVD yet?

marv2
01-29-2014, 06:49 PM
Man, Corey Baker was the first character that I identified with. I also loved "Room 222" and "The Mod Squad" because of the level racial playing field.

I was about the same age as Marc Coppage aka Corey Baker at that time and everyone said we looked a like. I didn't think so.......LOL!

marv2
01-29-2014, 06:50 PM
Well, Marv, "The Partridge Family" is a show I identified with from a cultural standpoint. But, I cam tell you that "The Brady Bunch" was not full of stereotypes. "Julia" is the one I identified with the most in every way, except I also had a sister.

It's strange but my younger brother George identified with them too. It was his favorite show in 1970.

jillfoster
01-29-2014, 07:59 PM

I still say it was only a reality for the ignorant. I think it made black people look too stupid to realize that there was plenty of people food that is cheaper than dog food. I don't know, if you say people ate it, then I guess some people WERE that stupid!

Roberta75
01-29-2014, 08:41 PM
I still say it was only a reality for the ignorant. I think it made black people look too stupid to realize that there was plenty of people food that is cheaper than dog food. I don't know, if you say people ate it, then I guess some people WERE that stupid!

Poverty and deesperation is color blind and yes sadly many people were reduce to eating pet food.

soulster
01-29-2014, 10:01 PM
There were/are a lot of White people eating dog food.

skooldem1
01-29-2014, 10:24 PM
Yeah, Thelma had it goin' on. I think people are too hard on JJ. Despite what some may view as stereotypical, or buffoonish characters, the show had many redeeming qualities.

soulster
01-29-2014, 10:59 PM
...I know!... - J.J. :)

jillfoster
01-29-2014, 11:52 PM
There were/are a lot of White people eating dog food.

I just can't understand how somebody would be that dumb.. it mysitfies me.
I guess you can call it Darwinism in action.

Jerry Oz
01-30-2014, 12:30 AM
I remember when Bern Nadette Stanis [[Thelma) appeared as the centerfold model in the Halloween issue of Jet magazine... And I'm thinking a lot of other impressionable boys remember when Bern Nadette Stanis appeared as the centerfold model in the Halloween issue of Jet magazine, as well.

soulster
01-30-2014, 01:24 AM
Why in the world did she split up her first name in two? It sounds silly.

jillfoster
01-30-2014, 01:58 AM
I don't about ya'll.. but I really liked Ja'net Dubois' voice... I wish she had recorded more than she did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY6KXMu11oc

I don't think disco suited her voice.

Jerry Oz
01-30-2014, 11:15 AM
For the last couple of posts, Ja'Net DuBois also had an interesting spelling [[like Bern Nadette). She sang [[or hummed) the closing theme for "The Jeffersons".

Soul Sister
01-30-2014, 12:17 PM
All that stuff was in the news and Jet Magazine at the time it happened. Nothing new.

S.S.

jillfoster
01-30-2014, 03:02 PM
For the last couple of posts, Ja'Net DuBois also had an interesting spelling [[like Bern Nadette). She sang [[or hummed) the closing theme for "The Jeffersons".

She sung the opening theme, too.. and this is the type of song where she sounds great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asbv9pAqxsw

skooldem1
02-01-2014, 12:38 PM
The dog food episode is on right now on TVone.