PDA

View Full Version : Prince Sues 22 Webmasters

test

skooldem1
01-24-2014, 11:40 PM
Prince Sues 22 Webmasters for $22 Million Over Live Bootlegs
Separately, he has announced a series of London shows

Prince is hitting the road, but maybe think twice before recording any of the shows and posting tracks online. His Purpleness has filed a copyright lawsuit against 22 different users of Facebook and Google's Blogger platform. And although he doesn't know the identity of all the defendants, he's demanding each pay $1 million in damages. That could've bought a lot of Paisley Park pajama-party tickets.

For the full article:

http://www.spin.com/articles/prince-sues-bootleg-sites-22-million-facebook-google-london-tour/

jillfoster
01-25-2014, 01:09 AM
He needs to thank his lucky stars that anybody is interested in his metrosexual pansy ass any more.

Boogiedown
01-25-2014, 02:22 AM
Is anybody?

soulster
01-25-2014, 04:26 AM
Prince Rogers Nelson knows damn well he's not going to get 1 million out of anyone. What his lawyers will do is settle for a much smaller amount.

We all know Prince longs for the days before the internet, but the cat's out of the bag, and it ain't going back in.

I wish him luck with his tour, but his shows are going to be traded online.

marv2
01-25-2014, 05:44 PM
He needs to thank his lucky stars that anybody is interested in his metrosexual pansy ass any more.

You know what? I like Prince and have met him several times back in the day in Minneapolis, but I have to agree with you 100% Jill on this one! He needs to stop all that shit, take a look at the calendar and be grateful that anyone even cares anymore about his more current music!

soulster
01-26-2014, 01:38 PM
That metrosexual "pansy-ass" image, as you call it, made him an awful lot of LOT of money and brought him fame. I'll bet you even bought that stuff.

tamla617
01-26-2014, 03:36 PM

You just made me spill my tea laughing jillfoster! funny as hell!

tamla617
01-26-2014, 03:38 PM
Soulster
You can bet I didn't. Yeah he was different. So was bird flu.

soulster
01-27-2014, 03:28 AM
Soulster
You can bet I didn't. Yeah he was different. So was bird flu. Well, I don't care what his image was. He made a lot of damn good music in his career. Millions the world over agree. And I bought just about everything up until he left Warner Brothers.

tamla617
01-27-2014, 08:37 AM
Soulster
The top selling British single in the 60's was by Ken Dodd [[Happiness,, I think)
Shaddup yer face beat Ultravox's Vienna to No 1. Double Barrel beat Honky tonk women by the 'Stones.
Who sold more means nothing and doesn't make it good music. You only have to see who wins the "vote for Joe" type TV progs like X factor, Pop idol etc. to know the public don't know Shinola from the other stuff.

soulster
01-27-2014, 01:09 PM
Soulster
The top selling British single in the 60's was by Ken Dodd [[Happiness,, I think)
Shaddup yer face beat Ultravox's Vienna to No 1. Double Barrel beat Honky tonk women by the 'Stones.
Who sold more means nothing and doesn't make it good music. You only have to see who wins the "vote for Joe" type TV progs like X factor, Pop idol etc. to know the public don't know Shinola from the other stuff. Well, still, millions of people disagree with you on what is good music. It's all subjective.

tamla617
01-27-2014, 01:18 PM
Well, still, millions of people disagree with you on what is good music. It's all subjective.

I couldn't agree more, spot on.

GrtGzu
01-27-2014, 01:28 PM

JF - I'll be PM'ing you my address so you will know where to send the new monitor that I just spewed my beverage into....

That had to be the funniest thing I've read today...For a Monday too..

Thank you for such humor on an otherwise COLD ass day.....

marv2
01-27-2014, 07:07 PM
What was last album by Prince any of you bought? For me the last album was "Under the Cherry Moon" in 1986 and I bought the 12" of "Alphabet Street" in 1988.

soulster
01-27-2014, 07:28 PM
The last new Prince I bought was "Crystal Ball" when it came out. I got rid of it soon after.

marv2
01-27-2014, 07:49 PM
The last new Prince I bought was "Crystal Ball" when it came out. I got rid of it soon after.

See there, you're way ahead of me. When did "Crystal Ball" come out and why did you get rid of it?

soulster
01-27-2014, 09:31 PM
See there, you're way ahead of me. When did "Crystal Ball" come out and why did you get rid of it? It came out in the late 90s. I got rid of it because it wasn't anywhere near the high standard he set in the 80s and early 90s.

marv2
01-27-2014, 10:45 PM
It came out in the late 90s. I got rid of it because it wasn't anywhere near the high standard he set in the 80s and early 90s.

I think that by then he had alienated all of his best musicians and the like.

soulster
01-28-2014, 01:15 AM
I think that by then he had alienated all of his best musicians and the like.
Well, for me, his music became safe and predictable. That't not what he was about.

tamla617
01-28-2014, 03:22 PM
JF - I'll be PM'ing you my address so you will know where to send the new monitor that I just spewed my beverage into....

That had to be the funniest thing I've read today...For a Monday too..

Thank you for such humor on an otherwise COLD ass day.....
Back of the line buddy!
see post #7!

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
01-28-2014, 03:52 PM
I'm sure he knows the 22 fans don't have a million each. He's making a statement, and I agree with him. If he wins, he will help all the artists who are cheated out of royalties on a daily basis.

~~Mary~~

soulster
01-28-2014, 04:29 PM
I'm sure he knows the 22 fans don't have a million each. He's making a statement, and I agree with him. If he wins, he will help all the artists who are cheated out of royalties on a daily basis.

~~Mary~~

He knows they don't have a million each. but, the jury is out on if he can win. The best he can do is settle for much less. And, even then, the defendants, if they lose, may not pay up. And, even if he does, that doesn't mean that other artists will benefit.

timmyfunk
01-30-2014, 03:04 PM
I guess this post got a rise out of a lot of people. He dropped the lawsuit a couple of days ago.

soulster
01-30-2014, 03:53 PM
I guess this post got a rise out of a lot of people. He dropped the lawsuit a couple of days ago.

It helps to post a link to official news:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57618043-93/prince-drops-$22m-copyright-suit-against-facebook-fans/

Prince wants control like there was back in the days before the internet, but it will never happen. He uses litigation to force control, but he will never completely get it. He's not alone. Most in the industry want to go back to the way life was in the early 90s, but it will never happen.

jobeterob
01-30-2014, 07:30 PM
Has Prince spent all of his money? Can't he tour and make a few bucks anymore? He seems popular enough. But he is being way too prissy about this.

soulster
01-30-2014, 07:39 PM
He has money, and he is touring. He wants people to stop stealing his music.

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
01-30-2014, 07:52 PM
Every artist is not as wealthy as Prince, and they can't afford to sue. It's sad. The artists are the ones being cheated out of royalties for songs they own. Just because people can get away with stealing doesn't make it right - on the net or anywhere else.

~~Mary~~

soulster
01-30-2014, 11:08 PM
Every artist is not as wealthy as Prince, and they can't afford to sue. It's sad. The artists are the ones being cheated out of royalties for songs they own. Just because people can get away with stealing doesn't make it right - on the net or anywhere else.

~~Mary~~ What they do may not be so illegal. As you read, the reason dropped the lawsuit is because in the state of California, copyright infringement is so hard to prove. That would take tons of money to litigate, and a long process. It's just not worth the trouble.

Roberta75
01-31-2014, 02:00 PM
Has Prince spent all of his money? Can't he tour and make a few bucks anymore? He seems popular enough. But he is being way too prissy about this.

Maybe Bernie madoff lost all of Prince money like marv2 claim that Madoff lost all of Diane Rosses money although hes yet to provide a link to his bogus story about Diana Ross being broke.

Roberta

soulster
01-31-2014, 03:33 PM
Maybe Bernie madoff lost all of Prince money like marv2 claim that Madoff lost all of Diane Rosses money although hes yet to provide a link to his bogus story about Diana Ross being broke.

Roberta Can we have just ONE thread without mentioning that singer's name, or what marv is supposedly like around here? Just one?

You guys take obsessive behavior to new levels. Geez!

tamla617
01-31-2014, 05:46 PM
Seconded!
Stop the Marv attacks as well. Its been going on since before I got on SDF. The argument goes back and forth and Marv doesn't bite the hook you sling at him. If you cant agree just ignore.

Roberta75
01-31-2014, 06:10 PM
Can we have just ONE thread without mentioning that singer's name, or what marv is supposedly like around here? Just one?

Paitence my dear.

Roberta

Roberta75
01-31-2014, 06:11 PM
Seconded!
Stop the Marv attacks as well. Its been going on since before I got on SDF. The argument goes back and forth and Marv doesn't bite the hook you sling at him. If you cant agree just ignore.

Sage advice. Po marv.

soulster
01-31-2014, 07:25 PM
Paitence my dear.

Roberta So, in other words, you all want to keep it going. Don't you think it's time to give it up? Whatever Marv did is probably way in the past, not when I was here, so I don't care to know.

And, can we get through ONE thread without the mention of that singer? This isn't her forum.

Roberta75
01-31-2014, 07:52 PM
So, in other words, you all want to keep it going. Don't you think it's time to give it up? Whatever Marv did is probably way in the past, not when I was here, so I don't care to know.

And, can we get through ONE thread without the mention of that singer? This isn't her forum.

You made your point in a previous posts dear. Isnt it time to give it up.

Have a lovely weekend.

Roberta

soulster
01-31-2014, 09:02 PM
You made your point in a previous posts dear. Isnt it time to give it up.

Have a lovely weekend.

Roberta I'll stop when you all stop.

Roberta75
02-01-2014, 01:27 AM
I'll stop when you all stop.

You carry on my dear.

Yours, with every good wish..

Roberta

jillfoster
02-01-2014, 06:53 PM
Can we have just ONE thread without mentioning that singer's name, or what marv is supposedly like around here? Just one?

AMEN and pass the dinner rolls! A person can't have a normal discussion around this place.

marv2
02-01-2014, 09:17 PM

~~Mary~~

Amen, Mary...Amen!