PDA

View Full Version : 12 Grammy Facts You Won't Believe - Actually, We Will

test

jobeterob
01-23-2014, 02:11 PM
12 Grammy facts you won't believe

12 Grammy facts you won't believe

Bob Dylan, the most respected songwriter of the rock era, has never been nominated for Song of the Year. The Grammys were averse to rock when he wrote many of his most classic works, including “Blowin' in the Wind”.
The Beatles never won Record of the Year, despite nominations for four all-time classics — “I Want to Hold Your Hand”, “Yesterday”, “Hey Jude”, and “Let It Be”. The Fab Four did win in the other top Grammy categories — Album of the Year [[for “Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band”), Song of the Year [[for “Michelle”), and Best New Artist.
The Rolling Stones weren't nominated for a Grammy in any category until 1978, when “Some Girls” was a finalist for Album of the Year. In 1986, the Recording Academy made amends by bestowing a Lifetime Achievement Award upon the band. The Stones finally won their first two Grammys in 1995 — more than 30 years after their U.S. breakthrough.
Pink Floyd's 1973 classic “The Dark Side of the Moon”, which has spent a record 852 weeks on the Billboard 200, was nominated in just one category — Best Engineered Recording, Non-Classical. The Recording Academy later realised that it goofed: The album was voted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1999.
Polka king Jimmy Sturr has amassed as many Grammys as soul queen Aretha Franklin. Both artists have won 18 awards.
Diana Ross has never won a Grammy, either on her own or with the Supremes. In 2012, the Recording Academy presented the diva with a Lifetime Achievement Award.
Reggae legend Bob Marley never won, either. The Grammys didn't add a reggae category until 1984, three years after Marley died of cancer. In 2001, the Recording Academy voted Marley a posthumous Lifetime Achievement Award.
Lauryn Hill won two Grammys [[as a member of the hip-hop trio Fugees) two years before she was crowned Best New Artist of 1998. Eligibility rules have since been tightened so that new artists have to be, well, new.
“Bill Clinton, Mikhail Gorbachev & Sophia Loren” sounds like the set-up to a really corny joke, but these three very famous people shared a Grammy for Best Spoken Word Album for Children for 2003's “Peter and the Wolf”/”Wolf Tracks”.
Country star LeAnn Rimes was just 14 and a half in February 1997, when she won two Grammys, including Best New Artist. She remains the youngest artist to win a Grammy. Despite that fast start, she hasn't won another Grammy since.
Christopher Cross is the only artist to sweep the Big Four awards — Record, Album and Song of the Year, and Best New Artist — in one night. Alas, it was a case of too much, too soon. Cross hasn't won another Grammy since.
Kanye West has won 21 Grammys, more than The Beatles, Barbra Streisand and James Taylor combined. But he's still not content. Twenty of West's Grammys have come in the rap field; the other in the R&B field [[for co-writing an Alicia Keys hit). West wants to win in a Big Four category.

milven
01-23-2014, 10:16 PM
It took the Grammys a long time to realize that rock and roll and soul was also music. While the Beatles and Motown, and Rolling Stones were selling millions of records, the Grammys were still being doled out to Henry Mancini, Andy Williams, Perry Como and other pre-rock artists.

I was sitting in the Radio City audience when Christopher Cross won all those grammys. The album was a classic and sold millions, but he never had any follow up hits.

Obama and Hillary also have Grammys.

The Grammys used to be my favorite awards show. But I do not know any of the new artists so I'll record it and then fast forward it to the few parts that I will like.

Are they honoring any old timers that I would know?

jillfoster
01-23-2014, 10:42 PM
It took the Grammys a long time to realize that rock and roll and soul was also music. While the Beatles and Motown, and Rolling Stones were selling millions of records, the Grammys were still being doled out to Henry Mancini, Andy Williams, Perry Como and other pre-rock artists.

I was sitting in the Radio City audience when Christopher Cross won all those grammys. The album was a classic and sold millions, but he never had any follow up hits.

Obama and Hillary also have Grammys.

The Grammys used to be my favorite awards show. But I do not know any of the new artists so I'll record it and then fast forward it to the few parts that I will like.

Are they honoring any old timers that I would know?

Chirstopher cross didn't have any more Grammys, but he did have follow up hits. His second album has two million sellers, "All Right" and "Think Of Laura". And he had that big hit on the Arthur Soundtrack in 1981.

antceleb12
01-23-2014, 10:52 PM
I never watch any awards show anymore - Grammys, Emmys, Oscars, Tonys, etc. I just don't feel like they mean much anymore. To me it seems that they've created so many categories to include everyone, when the awards should really award the cream of the crop; they should recognize a select few. I don't know what Obama and Hillary have Grammys for, but it sure can't be for music, and that's insane.

midnightman
01-25-2014, 01:30 AM
I'm always reminded Marvin was nominated 14 times and won the Grammys only twice. But I think most of the nods he lost to Stevie. Plus that What's Going On snub from 1972.

midnight johnny
01-25-2014, 09:25 AM
I don't know what Obama and Hillary have Grammys for, but it sure can't be for music, and that's insane.

Since 1959, the Grammy Awards have had the category of Best Spoken Word performance, which includes audio books, recorded poetry, etc

captainjames
01-25-2014, 08:48 PM
Remember the Grammy awarded Milli Vanelli an award and then asked for it back...........................................eno ugh said.

soulster
01-26-2014, 01:35 PM
All I really care about are the producer and engineer awards. I will record it to the DVR because tonight it's the celebration of The Beatles' 50th anniversary of their U.S. tour.