PDA

View Full Version : New book about the staple singers

test

reese
01-20-2014, 05:16 PM
I thought some here might be interested to know that a new book about the Staple Singers has just been released. It is titled I'LL TAKE YOU THERE: MAVIS STAPLES, THE STAPLE SINGERS, AND THE MARCH UP FREEDOM'S HIGHWAY. It was written by Greg Kot, with the cooperation of the Staples family.

I started reading the book on Friday, and just finished it this morning. It is a fast, but informative look at the history of the Staples. Besides the early life of Pops, it doesn't delve too much into the personal side. For instances, the marriages of Cleotha, Purvis, and Mavis are mentioned briefly, but not in any great depth. The main focus is on their legendary career, which I found very interesting.

mr_june
01-22-2014, 02:33 PM
Thanks Reese. I'll bet I was the first one to reserve this book at the Chicago Public Library [[lol). Does the book mention Pop's foray into movies as Papa Legba in The Talking Heads film True Stories?

reese
01-22-2014, 02:40 PM
Thanks Reese. I'll bet I was the first one to reserve this book at the Chicago Public Library [[lol). Does the book mention Pop's foray into movies as Papa Legba in The Talking Heads film True Stories?

If I'm not mistaken, it does. I think that was the role where he wanted to make sure that it didn't interfere with his religious beliefs.

mr_june
01-23-2014, 11:12 AM
If I'm not mistaken, it does. I think that was the role where he wanted to make sure that it didn't interfere with his religious beliefs.

Thanks, that was the exact reason I asked.

marv2
01-25-2014, 06:17 PM
I think I will buy this book. Big fan of the Staple Singers here but I know far too little about them.

splanky
01-26-2014, 10:24 AM
I'm reading this book right now. New York Library has it. Recently read the Stax book and was thrilled to see this. I thought I knew dang near everything about The Staples but this book is teaching me how much I'd missed. Don't want to spoil it for anyone who has yet to read
either book but I'm hoping more books about the earlier soul and R&B artists come out this year. I can think of a number of other acts I wish would get this treatment while I'm still here
to enjoy their stories...