PDA

View Full Version : Documentary: THE GIRLS IN THE BAND [2011] - Trailer. Now In 2014 Theatrical Release.

test

Methuselah2
01-20-2014, 01:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6XDjh8gRGg&app=desktop

splanky
01-20-2014, 09:28 AM
This looks like it's going to be very good and I know I'll want to get it as soon as it's on dvd.
I've long been a fan of women musicians who despite the blockheaded perspective of some
men , play their instruments as well, even sometimes better than the big boys. I saw Teri
Lynn Carrington in the trailer; I hope some mention of the late Alice Coltrane is made. Too
I also hope newer artists like my girl Tia Fuller [[sax) and pianist Helen Sung are noted. Thanks for posting this, Methuselah....

Methuselah2
01-20-2014, 11:08 AM
Splanky - I saw the film yesterday and thought it was terrific. It covers--and uncovers, too--great musicians from the 40s to now. The footage is rare and wonderful, and what all the women have to say is fascinating and informative. The film has a lot to say and show, and is so well made. It really got to me, and the audience in the theatre clearly felt the same way. So glad this beautiful document surfaced.

P.S. "Blockheaded perspective of some men"--you have nailed it, Splanky!

splanky
01-20-2014, 02:47 PM
Well, damn!!! Apparently it was shown here in New York at Lincoln Center LAST[[!!!) May and unaware, I missed it and it's not scheduled to be near these parts again anytime soon.
Anyway, I also found out online that my beloved pianist/guru/idol/superhero Geri Allen
is one of the Girls featured along with Marian Mcpartland and Carline Ray both of whom
we lost last year. Carline, for folks unaware was the guitarist in The International Sweethearts of Rhythm and also the mother of singer Catherine Russell. And yet still I
found a poster the official website is selling which is photograph shot in the style of
the Great Day In Harlem photo of all of those jazz musicians sitting and standing on a building stoop back in the day. And indeed Tia Fuller, Helen and Geri as well as Marian
are there..sigh......