PDA

View Full Version : Discovering Motown Special 4: Motown Duets

test

radionixon
01-19-2014, 06:43 AM
New 1hr special now available for listening. The focus this time is on some of Motown's best duets, from 1960 to the Eighties.

Listen here: Discovering Motown Special 4: Motown Duets [[http://www.mixcloud.com/discoveringmotown/discovering-motown-special-4-motown-duets/)

Older episodes [[Ladies, Guys, HDH) are still available at http://mixcloud.com/discoveringmotown/.

The show proper will be starting in February [[these specials are just meant to be mass-market tasters while I learn how to use the equipment), if anyone has any requests!

[[Oh, and I didn't call myself "the Soul Professor", it sounds arrogant and it's asking for trouble whenever I [[frequently) make a mistake - the station did that jingle without me knowing...!)

rovereab
01-19-2014, 07:15 PM
Just listened to this and I was amazed at the very early duets which I have never heard before, Sammy Ward & Sherri Taylor and Mary Wells & Smokey Robinson.

I was surprised by the comment that Marvin and Diana "hated each other's guts" in relation to the problems surrounding the recording of their duets album. I thought it was purely Marvin "smoking" and Diana being pregnant that was the problem. I believe I read somewhere that they were friends normally.

Overall, a varied and interesting mix of Motown duets!

radionixon
01-23-2014, 10:21 PM
Just listened to this and I was amazed at the very early duets which I have never heard before, Sammy Ward & Sherri Taylor and Mary Wells & Smokey Robinson.

I was surprised by the comment that Marvin and Diana "hated each other's guts" in relation to the problems surrounding the recording of their duets album. I thought it was purely Marvin "smoking" and Diana being pregnant that was the problem. I believe I read somewhere that they were friends normally.

Overall, a varied and interesting mix of Motown duets!

Thanks rovereab :)

It's easy to trip up, recording these things live [[and I'm my own producer, so I'm trying to talk and also remember to press the right buttons... I'm getting better at the sound mixing anyway!) - you can edit out mistakes later, but you can't put new information in if you forget to provide context to what you're saying...

[[one of the reasons I hate that "Soul Professor" nickname, it wasn't my idea and it's asking for trouble...!)

Anyway, I'm working on 2 more specials now before the "real" show begins - it was meant to be one [[on the songs of Smokey Robinson), but the sponsors [[that funny Welsh-language message you hear in the middle of every show!) requested I do an extra one on the songs of Stevie Wonder. I'm happy to oblige :)