PDA

View Full Version : Barbara Randolph - I Got A Feeling

test

copley
11-01-2010, 11:00 AM
This received a lot of airplay in the UK in the latter part of '67 but to no avail. It still makes me feel happy when I hear it today. It is alleged that Barbara had no recollection of ever having recorded more than a couple of songs at Motown!! RIP Barbara.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXBS1z3Q5yc&feature=related

luke
11-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Great song thx. Should have been huge it--dont get why it wasnt-love her voice.

reese
11-01-2010, 11:35 AM
I recall an interview with Barbara where she was talking about the terms of her Motown contract. She was talking about how artists had to pay their own recording costs. She concluding by saying something like she was glad that she only recorded a few titles there, or else she would have been in more debt to the company.

So I gather she forgot that she actually recorded quite a bit, more than enough material for an album.

Kamasu_Jr
11-01-2010, 11:38 AM
This received a lot of airplay in the UK in the latter part of '67 but to no avail. It still makes me feel happy when I hear it today. It is alleged that Barbara had no recollection of ever having recorded more than a couple of songs at Motown!! RIP Barbara.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXBS1z3Q5yc&feature=related

Gorgeous woman. Her entrance in the film Guess Who's Coming To Dinner is unforgettable. She should have done more filmwork. I like I Got A Feeling, but it received scant airplay in Detroit and you couldn't find it in most record stores . I didn't care for the CD released in the UK. I thought Barbara Randolph sounded too much like Mary Wells for my taste. I wonder why she seemed to have a mental block regarding her Motown recordings?

copley
11-01-2010, 11:45 AM
I think that in the '60's for one reason or another many artists lost sight of what they had recorded and even where they had been! Give Barbara another chance Kam, the CD is really very good.

jobeterob
11-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks Copley and Midnightman for putting these up.

And always thanks to Reese for sharing his knowledge.

MotownLover
11-01-2010, 11:02 PM
I had this one as a Soul label single in 1968 too. It got airplay on Los Angeles' KGFJ AM soul radio station. Although Barbara did a swell job, I've always liked Levi and the Four Tops's version much more.

daviddesper
11-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Not to downplay this thread on Barbara and all its positive comments, but the Four Tops' version of "I Got a Feeling" blew hers out of the water and is one of my all-time favorite Motown tracks.

robb_k
11-02-2010, 12:45 AM
That L.A. radio station was KGFJ. I was extremely disappointed by her CD. Almost ALL the cuts were way, way, way below the quality of her 2 45s [["I Got A Feeling" and "You Got Me Hurtin' All Over". Maybe that's why she forgot she recorded so much. It was all done in the middle of the night and she was overtired. Motown really dropped the ball with her. Like so many others, she was too talented to be wasted as an artist.