PDA

View Full Version : DRATS: Stay in My Lonely Arms

test

longtimefan
01-15-2014, 01:04 AM
1. On what CDs does "Stay In My Lonely Arms" appear? Is there one version that has better sound than others?

2. Also, what CD has the best studio version of "In and Out of Love?"

Thanks!

Roger Polhill
01-15-2014, 05:36 AM
Longtimefan the only CD that I can find it on is "The Supremes Unreleased Tracks" which is a Marginal release and therefore a bootleg. I`ve looked at all the other discs without luck. It doesn`t even get mentioned as a release in the "Lost And Found " edition !
I can`t help you with your second question.

Jaap
01-15-2014, 05:41 AM
"Stay in my lonely arms" was released as bonus track on the 1990 CD release of Reflections.

woodward
01-15-2014, 09:22 AM
1. On what CDs does "Stay In My Lonely Arms" appear? Is there one version that has better sound than others?
Thanks!

The song "Stay In My Lonely Arms" first was released in 1986 on the vinyl album Never Before Released Masters from Motown's Brightest Stars - The 1960's. 5380ML. The late Tom DiPierro who worked for Motown Records was the driving force behind release of this album. Personally, I feel that Motown did a disservice to the Supremes by not releasing this song. It is absolutely great. It could have been a #1 without a doubt. Listen to it if you get a chance and see what I mean. It is my favorite DRATS song ever.

daviddh
01-15-2014, 11:37 AM
"STAY IN MY LONELY ARMS" is not a favorite of mine, but since we are talking about it I will go and have another listen to it. it could have been an out take from the REFLECTIONS album lp and was released along with ALL KNOW ABOUT YOU on REFLECTIONS CD release. both songs also appear on the 2000 box set

daviddh
01-15-2014, 11:40 AM
just thought of the LOST AND FOUND cd but cant remember what songs r on it

Roger Polhill
01-15-2014, 01:56 PM
"STAY IN MY LONELY ARMS" is not a favorite of mine, but since we are talking about it I will go and have another listen to it. it could have been an out take from the REFLECTIONS album lp and was released along with ALL KNOW ABOUT YOU on REFLECTIONS CD release. both songs also appear on the 2000 box set
"Stay In My Lonely Arms" is not on the box set david. Are you thinking of "Heaven Must Have Sent You" I presume you are referring to the "Pink Set"

daviddh
01-15-2014, 03:53 PM
yes I meant the pink 2000 box set. was there another box set ?

supremester
01-15-2014, 04:18 PM
My fave In & Out of love is TCMS 1967 then Ultimate Collection. they are the only ones I play.

markdtiller
01-15-2014, 05:13 PM
It is on the "Relections" [[Japan) CD as a bonus track with "The Happening" b side "All I Know About You".

thanxal
01-16-2014, 10:18 PM
Also, the pink box set mix of All I Know about You is different from the 1990 Reflections CD mix. Just relistened to both. Pink box set sounds better, unsurprisingly.

thisoldheart
01-17-2014, 05:31 AM
"all that i know about you" and "the happening" ... my bet is that h/d/h had little to do with writing those songs ... they sound too much like a film scorer ... frank duval [[sp?). my guess is that h/d/h put in the distinctively supremes' sounding part [[oooo, and then it happened). h/d/h tried to produce those two songs to make them sound less movie theme-ish, and more motown-like. they are cute, but don't really fall into the supremes single style. i have never really counted "the happening" as a 100% supremes single.

lakedistrictlad1
01-17-2014, 10:07 AM
Longtimefan,

Just in case you don't know of Keith Hughes' fantastic website 'Don't Forget The Motor City' - you will find this an invaluable reference for hunting down recording sources.

Here's the link to 'Stay In My Lonely Arms'..

http://www.dftmc.info/titles/ts-08.htm

woodward
01-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Longtimefan,

Just in case you don't know of Keith Hughes' fantastic website 'Don't Forget The Motor City' - you will find this an invaluable reference for hunting down recording sources.

Here's the link to 'Stay In My Lonely Arms'..

http://www.dftmc.info/titles/ts-08.htm

I just checked the titles section of DFTMC. In addition to the 1986 vinyl album release, it was also included in the Tower Worldwide Celebration release for Motown 40 which included "Rare Gems from the Motown Vaults." This was a release of 8 songs but it is marked NOT FOR SALE - FOR PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY. The album and the Tower release are the only places it appeared in as stated by Keith Hughes.

noel181
01-17-2014, 02:14 PM
I have both the 1990 CD of Reflections MOTD-5494 and the japanese CD issue of Reflections UICY-93279 released Jul 04, 2007 in 24Bit Mini-LP cardboard sleeve.
They both have the same tracks 14 Tracks as follows:
1)Reflections
2)I'm Gonna Make It [[I Will Wait For You)
3)Forever Came Today
4)I Can't Make It Alone
5)In And Out Of Love
6)Bah-Bah-Bah
7)What The World Needs Now Is Love
8)Up, Up And Away
9)Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things
10)Then
11)Misery Makes It Home In My Heart
12)Ode To Billie Joe
13)Stay In My Lonely Arms
14)All I Know About You

I think Keith Hughes should update DFTMC as people seem to think that it is the gospel.
I also have the Tower's Worldwide Promo CD. I am not sure but it sounds different to
the CD above which makes me think it's an alternate version.

supremester
01-17-2014, 02:37 PM
I know so many who feel that way about The Happening - I however, am not one of them! The melody as recorded by Herb Alpert is very DeVol-ish but HDH have corrected it and obviously did the seamless, perfect pop producing. I loved it to death as a kid for years and was really let down by it's follow up, the sainted Reflections. I love Ross' vocal and hearing Flo clearly......little did I know that would never happen again. My friend Michael, who is white, dismissed it with: "white people will buy it" [[he considered himself elevated above any ordinary color restrictions.) The Happening sounded so great on the radio - but I did realize that of my friends that bought other Supremes 45's, many didnt buy The Happening - and vice versa. My Top 5 DMF was Baby Love, Back, Symphony, Hurry, Happening. PS Did you see the other KISN lists I posted? Do you care to see more?

"all that i know about you" and "the happening" ... my bet is that h/d/h had little to do with writing those songs ... they sound too much like a film scorer ... frank duval [[sp?). my guess is that h/d/h put in the distinctively supremes' sounding part [[oooo, and then it happened). h/d/h tried to produce those two songs to make them sound less movie theme-ish, and more motown-like. they are cute, but don't really fall into the supremes single style. i have never really counted "the happening" as a 100% supremes single.

bradsupremes
01-17-2014, 02:41 PM
The Tower CD is a poor stereo version although it's unedited. The 1990 CD reissue is the mono version with the extra verse edited out however it has a longer fade to the point where Diana and the Andantes' tracks cut out and reveal Mary and Cindy singing.

I'm sure when they get around to doing the expanded edition of Reflections they will have a new stereo mix unedited with the long fade.

supremester
01-17-2014, 04:08 PM
Brad: Do you think Stay In My Lonely Arms was considered completed? I've always felt it, Heaven Must Have Sent You and Don't Let True Love Die were works in progress when HDH left. Ross' vocals on the first two seem laborious and not up to snuff. I would love to hear The Tower version - is it on Youtube? It would be great to hear that fade.

mysterysinger
01-20-2014, 09:35 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reflections-Diana-Ross-Supremes/dp/B00DY9WWV4/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1390267669&sr=1-1&keywords=supremes+reflections