View Full Version : January 14, 1970. the last song

test

dba
01-15-2014, 12:00 AM
Let's celebrate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0d2ih2Y9C0

franjoy56
01-15-2014, 01:57 AM
They don't sound bad at all, as a matter of fact the performance is heartfelt especially when Diana says lets sing it Mary and Cindy like we feel it.

thanxal
01-15-2014, 12:01 PM
It amazes me that this either wasn't video recorded or that if it were the video hasn't been released. Its one on those "what in the world were they thinking by NOT videoing it", much like Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall [[although with all due respect Judy @ Carnegie is a much bigger cultural milestone).

luke
01-15-2014, 12:24 PM
There is at least some video Dick Clark showed. I dont know if it was all recorded. As an aside I read one of Diana's LA shows in the 80s I believe, was taped with footage of Mary joining her on stage for a bit of a song but not included in what was shown on TV I guess.

thanxal
01-15-2014, 12:50 PM
There is at least some video Dick Clark showed. I dont know if it was all recorded. As an aside I read one of Diana's LA shows in the 80s I believe, was taped with footage of Mary joining her on stage for a bit of a song but not included in what was shown on TV I guess.
This is one of those instances where I have a sneaky suspicion that there is video footage somewhere under strict control. Maybe others know if this is true?

marv2
01-15-2014, 07:07 PM
I
It amazes me that this either wasn't video recorded or that if it were the video hasn't been released. Its one on those "what in the world were they thinking by NOT videoing it", much like Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall [[although with all due respect Judy @ Carnegie is a much bigger cultural milestone).

There was a video made, the whole show! I saw it in Detroit in the 80's. From what I saw it looked like it was filmed with an 8mm camera or something just a bit better. The sound was great however.

marv2
01-15-2014, 07:08 PM

You are referring to that "diana" tv special from 1981. Mary sang some of "Reach Out and Touch" with Diane from the audience. Diane ordered it edited out of the TV broadcast version.

supremester
01-15-2014, 08:17 PM
It has never been determined why, out of several hours of concert footage shot each night with less than 20 minutes used in the final edit, why Mary was not included. "ORDERED IT EDITED OUT" may be a rather strongly worded and misleading version of the reason it was not included in the Emmy winning CBS TV special that aired twice.

Roberta75
01-15-2014, 08:57 PM

You guess? Im guessing that you know this and are stirring up the hornets nest again luke.

Roberta75
01-15-2014, 08:59 PM
It has never been determined why, out of several hours of concert footage shot each night with less than 20 minutes used in the final edit, why Mary was not included. "ORDERED IT EDITED OUT" may be a rather strongly worded and misleading version of the reason it was not included in the Emmy winning CBS TV special that aired twice.

Maybe Diane Ross told marv2 that she ordered them to, eddit out mary from the broadcast version.

jillfoster
01-15-2014, 09:11 PM

Randy Taraborelli wrote this in his book, and claims it is from an interview that he did from one of the producers of the show.

marv2
01-15-2014, 09:14 PM
Maybe Diane Ross told marv2 that she ordered them to, eddit out mary from the broadcast version.

Nope, Diane told me something different........

smark21
01-15-2014, 09:19 PM
My favorite songs on the Farewell album are Hey Big Spender, Reflections, Didn't We, and Someday We'll Be Together. Of the 3 Supremes live albums, this is my favorite as it has the best set list--a good overview of hits and the cover songs are by and large more contemporary [[for 1969).

marv2
01-15-2014, 09:21 PM
My favorite songs on the Farewell album are Hey Big Spender, Reflections, Didn't We, and Someday We'll Be Together. Of the 3 Supremes live albums, this is my favorite as it has the best set list--a good overview of hits and the cover songs are by and large more contemporary [[for 1969).

Now that is incredible, those were exactly the songs I liked from that album. It really was a decent live concert album for it's time.

Roberta75
01-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Nope, Diane told me something different........

Those voices you hearing are a real big problem so you should see a doctor asap.

captainjames
01-15-2014, 10:08 PM
Probably one of the best kept secrets in musical history. My guess is if it ever existed it was damaged or destroyed by accident.