PDA

View Full Version : Marv Johnson Headstone Project Status

test

woodward
01-14-2014, 12:21 PM
I recently learned that John and Carolyn Milroy of Ferndale, MI started a fundraising project to purchase a memorial marker [[a bench) to honor Marv Johnson who has no marker on his grave. I have seen nothing on the forum about this project. I recall the Darrell Banks project when the forum was heavily involved in the fund raising for the tombstone.

Has anyone heard anything about how the project is advancing [[hopefully).

Thank you.

motown01
01-14-2014, 02:33 PM
It would be good to see this on Kickstarter or Indiegogo. I believe that the Uriel Jones headstone project was on Indiegogo, and they met their goal.

motown01
01-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Actually, here we go...

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-marv-johnson-headstone-project

jobeterob
01-14-2014, 02:37 PM
Facebook might be the place to go with this. It is now full of every music items imaginable.

captainjames
01-16-2014, 09:31 PM
I guess I am just speechless<<<<<<<

motown01
02-13-2014, 01:43 AM
As am I.

This man started it all, people.

Is anyone in touch with the people who tried to get this project going? Is it possible to restart this, with the backing of those of us here??

radionixon
02-13-2014, 07:27 AM
It's a great cause and I'd happily chip in a few quid, promote it on my blog and the radio show etc., but the Indiegogo appeal is long closed - and there aren't any updates on what's happening with the cash that's been pledged, which might make people a bit wary.

marybrewster
02-13-2014, 09:38 AM
but the Indiegogo appeal is long closed - and there aren't any updates on what's happening with the cash that's been pledged, which might make people a bit wary.

Thank you.....

marymary
02-15-2014, 12:08 AM
I found this on Facebook, at one time it was a DFP article but is no longer online:

Fundraiser to help with cost of grave markers
Check out our Motown Memorial Fundraiser on 3/29.
If you want to help John Milroy , the local musician who's been raising money for the unmarked graves of Detroit music greats, he's set a Motown Memorial Benefit for 9:30 p.m., March 29 at O'Mara's on 12 Mile & Coolidge in Berkley to raise money. With the help of donations from around the world, Motown drummer Uriel Jones ' gravesite at Woodlawn Cemetery is now marked. "My wife and I ended up paying for [[Motown crooner) Marv Johnson 's," Milroy said. Now they hope to recoup those funds and use anything left over to pay for markers for more Motown icons. A donation of $10 is requested, there will be live music by rocking soul band Even Exchange , and raffles of items donated by Motown and more.

They don't mention that their indiegogo campaign raised $800 [[which according to the page they were able to keep) but this implies they covered the rest out of pocket. I think it's a bit odd they are making these efforts to help preserve the legacy of "forgotten" Motown artists so quietly, you would think they would want to keep people apprised of their status and get publicity for future ventures. They never made any updates to their indiegogo site, I wonder if the contributors even know that a headstone was purchased?

JL2648
04-19-2014, 07:22 AM
I ventured up to Woodlawn Cemetery and found the Marv Johnson bench. This is a very, very nice memorial. Well done.

Jeff8085

woodward
04-19-2014, 12:29 PM
I ventured up to Woodlawn Cemetery and found the Marv Johnson bench. This is a very, very nice memorial. Well done.

Jeff8085

Jeff: Thank you for your herculean effort to go take a picture and put it on the forum of this wonderful memorial. We should all be grateful to John and Carolyn Milroy of Ferndale, MI for starting and bringing this project to fruition. Thanks again.

marv2
04-19-2014, 12:40 PM

Jeff8085

Very well done. Thank you Jeff!

Marv

radionixon
04-19-2014, 01:11 PM
Wonderful. Great news, fantastic effort. Big round of applause for everyone who made this happen. RIP Marv.

marymary
04-21-2014, 02:23 AM

Jeff8085

What a lovely marker, thank you for going out of your way to take a photo to share with us.

radionixon
04-21-2014, 07:47 AM
What does the E stand for?

shoo-be-doo
04-21-2014, 08:00 AM
What does the E stand for?

Earl. That's a great headstone - thank goodness somebody cared enough.

marybrewster
04-21-2014, 09:03 AM
I wish someone would do the same for Sandra Tilley of the Velvelettes/Vandellas.

She may not be the "pioneer" that Marv was, but she is a Rock and Roll legend; certainly worth remembering.