PDA

View Full Version : Let's Hear It For TCMS!

test

TomBairdFan
01-13-2014, 07:53 AM
Now that the final volume of The Complete Motown Singles has been released, everyone who contributed to this 'magum opus' deserves the highest praise, right from the man at the top [[HW) to the people who hand-assembled every set, and all those in between. All the work and effort that went into research, planning, writing, editing and proofing, fact-checking, photo coordination, layout, indexing, vault research, listening and mastering paid off, and the result is the best compilation for Motown music fans ever made! TCMS comes across as a true labor of love.

While I wish I could own the complete set, I couldn't stretch my budget that far, but am nevertheless the very proud owner of:

4, 9, 10, 11A, 11B, 12A and 12 B, and I thoroughly enjoy each one.

It has been a real treat to be able to hear and appreciate all the music worthy of release as a single, especially songs by those lesser-known artists that I'd read about in discographies, but never thought I'd be able to own. And to learn all that information and make new musical discoveries: finding out that it was Tom Baird who arranged the orchestral intro to the Temptations' ''Take A Look Around''; reading those insights from Suzee Ikeda and Deke Richards; hearing Vincent DiMirco produced by Norman Whitfield for the first time. All examples of pure Motown fanjoy!

Which volumes do you own? What are the highlights for you? If you haven't already done so, share your enthusiasm by expressing your thanks to everyone involved in TCMS and hopefully those involved will see how much their efforts are appreciated.

tamla617
01-13-2014, 08:06 AM
I cut and paste this from my post on the 12b thread. I cant improve on my thoughts so here is a repeat!

The whole TCMS has been a dream come true. Never thought that I'd ever see anything like this series of box sets. When I first saw the early ones on Amazon back in 05 I couldn't believe my eyes. I was in an internet café and shouted out "what"?! I didn't think I'd ever be able to stump up enough cash for each one either. Amazon's prices have been very good. the most I paid was £62 for vol 1 [[Record shop in York), the others were 44- 52 and all Amazon or Amazon sellers except for the last under £25! The books are works of art, really interesting. I really like the ex Motown peoples memories at the beginning. The only thing I don't like is the way the cds are housed and I cringe everytime I get one out scared stupid I'm going to scratch it. Other than that if somebody asked how would you want a set like this doing it would be exactly what we got.

radionixon is spot on, TCMS is the best collection/music release/body of work that's ever been put out. It will ever be equalled.
Thanks to all concerned that worked on the series, especially the guy who thought of it.

kenneth
01-13-2014, 12:15 PM
I totally agree. TCMS is a towering achievement and an historical document, which will be appreciated 50 years from now even more than it is today. The care and attention to detail that went in to document each and every single realize is astounding. These volumes will be cited for years to come for anything connected to Motown.

To me, the most fun were the very early volumes, which contained many releases I'd never even heard of, and the very last releases, which contained a lot of material I would have passed over without thinking worthwhile but after listening, concluded it was actually quite good! I have really enjoyed the Mowest releases on these later volumes.

Of course, I own the entire set!

jobeterob
01-13-2014, 04:08 PM
I own them all except 12B which will happen soon.

It is excellent. I even have two of a couple volumes.

It is an important historical work that was done with immense care and love.

Who was the person that thought of doing it?

Motown4Ever518
01-13-2014, 06:28 PM
I have No. 1 through 1967, in fact I have two, and I have 12B. I plan to purchase the outstanding volumes so that I can follow along with Paul Nixons reviews on his blog. Truth be told, no matter how extensive ones collection is, to have every single single at ones fingertips, [[Part 1 and Part 2, from Volume 1), is a beautiful thing.

To Harry et al, thank you, thank you, thank you. Everything about the set, from the sound, to the price, to the packaging, to the booklets have been first rate. The thing I am most impressed with is the accuracy, I wasn't there, but I feel like I was. In fact when my daughter comes home from school today, I will share with her, the value of this legacy.

When reading the Kingsley Abbott book, Calling Out Around The World, someone went through all of the Miracles albums, and listed the songs and shared comments. There was no way in 2002, 2003, that I could conceive of this set being produced. The moral of the story, Dare To dream. I know financially this has not been a good selling series, but kudos to Universal for green lighting this project.

supremester
01-13-2014, 06:44 PM
I just couldn't love them anymore! They are perfect! They are 2 feet from "my chair" Since I can only listen to the mono single versions of so many hits, I couldn't be happier!*

TYTYTY

*Well, I'd be happier if the did 1973 as I prefer the single versions of Let' get it On, Keep on Truckin, Special Part f Me, Touch Me In The Mornng and Last Time I Saw Him.
Also 1971B has the album, not the single edit of I'm Still Waiting

R. Mark Desjardins
01-13-2014, 06:48 PM
I remember the thrill of opening Volume 1 of TCMS. The cost of shipping to Canada from Hip-O Select, was so prohibitive, that I had this volume sent to a pal in Seattle. Later, I learned that if I waited, I could eventually order from amazon.

The unique presentation, the vinyl single, the notes and essays got me hooked and now, some years later have all the set. A labor of love for sure, and no doubt, a loss leader for Universal, in time, this set will provide music scholars of the future, access to a time in musical history that will better illuminate the social fabric of the sixties and beyond. All the contributors to this series are thanked from the bottom of my heart and rest assured that their hard work is not only appreciated today, but well into the future. Priceless!

alexstassi
01-13-2014, 08:42 PM
I remember having a chat with a friend years ago and I said it would be amazing if they ever decided to issue every Motown song ever released as a single on cd in a subscription based format, of course thinking yeah whatever, like that would ever happen!!!

The first 6 [[i think) volumes I bought direct from Hip-Oselect... which cost me a fortune with s&h charges to the UK.. then when they stopped overseas shipping I bought from Import CD's until Amazon UK jumped on board and I bought the rest from there.. so yes I own all 14 volumes :)

Roger Polhill
01-14-2014, 12:38 AM
Yes many, many thanks to all involved it has been a wonderful project and a truly handsome set for my shelves. I have yet to get 1972 B. but that will come at a later date. I wish that the Jackson 5 set had been in a similar sized edition like the Vandellas, Tops etc. The annotations are priceless and as important as the music. Probably one of the finest releases ever especially for us believers.

stephanie
01-14-2014, 12:41 AM
Congratulations and Kudos to all who made it happen.

radionixon
01-14-2014, 03:48 AM
I have No. 1 through 1967, in fact I have two, and I have 12B. I plan to purchase the outstanding volumes so that I can follow along with Paul Nixons reviews on his blog.

You're very kind, but I should point out I'm not Paul Nixon!

roger
01-14-2014, 07:20 AM
My Collection of TCMS sets .. plus a welcome "interloper" :)
This is [[and always was) a wonderful idea and is totally priceless. I would like to thank Harry, Keith and all others involved for this project.

Roger

1382hitsville
01-14-2014, 09:16 AM
I have them all, besides 12B, but that will come.

A dream come true and a big thank to all involved!

Thank you thank you thank you

mysterysinger
01-14-2014, 02:53 PM
There cannot be enough praise for this series. Simply stunning. But, you know, I would welcome an overall index, as per each volume but for the series as a whole. Then, what about sets to complete some of the lesser label issues such as Gordy or Soul?

Amithesameboy
01-14-2014, 05:27 PM
It has been the best series I have ever seen. Realistically, it could not have been improved upon, either. Everyone involved deserves the highest praise.

radionixon
01-14-2014, 06:07 PM
It's an incredible achievement. Massive kudos to everyone involved, not just for coming up with the idea but also for sticking with it through the four-year delay [[I honestly doubted it would ever happen; I've scarcely been so happy to be wrong.)

On a personal note, besides all the amazing music and the experience of hearing so many long-forgotten gems and oddities in context... well, without TCMS there'd be no blog, and without the blog I wouldn't have the radio show or paid writing gigs, so it's quite literally changed my life.

And it even looks good with all 14 volumes lined up on the shelf.

Bravo.

soulster
01-14-2014, 06:07 PM
If Universal were smart, they would repackage the CDs into a boxed set, sans the elaborate packaging, lower the price accordingly, and give everyone a chance to buy the set. Not everyone wants lossy iTunes files.

grapevine
01-14-2014, 07:48 PM
Who was the person that thought of doing it?

...many of us did on the old Motown Bulletin Boards ...but it took Harry's vision and enthusiasm ...Keith's knowledge and energy ...and Universal's backing and belief ...to see the project through ...ignoring the doubters along the way ...TCMS is without doubt the greatest CD series ever released ...and a BIG THANKYOU to everyone who has been involved ...!!!

:)

jack020
01-15-2014, 06:23 AM
I have every volume of this set thanks to Amsterdam record store Fame and Amazon UK!
Some are still sealed but I hope to quite working in the near future so I have all the time to listen to these and all my other Motown box-sets.
Thanks to every one concerned and how about a nice Thelma Houston set?:D

tamla617
01-15-2014, 06:37 PM
I just went into my Amazon purchase history from 2007. this is what TCMS cost me!
13/10/07
Vol 5 £47.98
Vol 6 £39.98
Vol 7 £49.98
29/11/07
Vol 4 £55.98
7/10/08
Vol 8 £45.21
Vol 9 £47.98
10/10/08
Vol 1 £62.98
Vol 3 £52.98
Vol 10 £52
9/2/09
Vol 11a £54.97
13/10/09
Vol 11b £37.45
14/12/13
Vol12b £24.44
25/12/13
Vol12a £44
I got Vol 2 first for £62 from a shop!

The whole series cost me £698.70. Woolworths and smiths were charging at least £100 for each volume ordered through their website for store pickup. No wonder shops are vanishing from the streets

Motown4Ever518
01-15-2014, 11:38 PM
You're very kind, but I should point out I'm not Paul Nixon!

So Sorry RadioNixon.

Amithesameboy
01-16-2014, 09:48 AM
If Universal were smart, they would repackage the CDs into a boxed set, sans the elaborate packaging, lower the price accordingly, and give everyone a chance to buy the set. Not everyone wants lossy iTunes files.

Really ? There were 75 Cds in the series. I'd like to see the price for a boxed set with that many CDs in it. Would cost a fortune.

tamla617
01-16-2014, 06:07 PM
I think the whole thing about TCMS is the Book, cross reference pages, 7" record, peoples recollections individual track history AND the CDs is exactly what it should have been and was. The complete package. A celebration of 50 years of the greatest label in recording history and a Motown fan's dream that became reality. Anything less its just another "Chartbusters" release.

I understand MP3 isn't everyones choice but how many options can they give? The Stax complete A sides vol 1-3 was cheaper but only A sides, only 27 discs and not a real complete A sides as some were missing because of the Atlantic released stuff wasnt included due to some licensing deal. Otis Redding, Sam and Dave , These Atlantic/Stax were on a complete Atlantic series, I've never seen them though.The Stax A side books were good but not in the detail of TCMS. Top money for each volume of those was around £80-90 on release. They are around £420 for the 3 vols now.

soulster
01-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Really ? There were 75 Cds in the series. I'd like to see the price for a boxed set with that many CDs in it. Would cost a fortune. They sold each package at a somewhat nominal $100 USD. A lot of that went into the packaging. CDs are cheap to produce, so, if they took out the packaging, and the extra vinyl 45, that cost could be reduced considerably. What they could also do is reconfigure the disc and eliminate some tracks. So, it wouldn't be the same as the premium package, but it would still be a substantial collection for anyone else who could not afford the original set, or does not want lossy files.

soulster
01-16-2014, 07:06 PM
I think the whole thing about TCMS is the Book, cross reference pages, 7" record, peoples recollections individual track history AND the CDs is exactly what it should have been and was. The complete package. A celebration of 50 years of the greatest label in recording history and a Motown fan's dream that became reality. Anything less its just another "Chartbusters" release.

No, because the Chartbuster series was stereo, and, none of them are mono singles collections. I understand that some collectors take pride in the value of an elaborate set, but that leaves a lot more out in the cold.

I understand MP3 isn't everyones choice but how many options can they give? The Stax complete A sides vol 1-3 was cheaper but only A sides, only 27 discs and not a real complete A sides as some were missing because of the Atlantic released stuff wasnt included due to some licensing deal. Otis Redding, Sam and Dave , These Atlantic/Stax were on a complete Atlantic series, I've never seen them though.The Stax A side books were good but not in the detail of TCMS. Top money for each volume of those was around £80-90 on release. They are around £420 for the 3 vols now.

I have the Stax boxes. The neat thing is that I got more for my money than I can get with TCMSC. I do not need every single alternate mix, version, b-side in the vault.

The Stax boxes [[three of them) did not contain all of the b-sides. One was created by Warner/Elektra/Atlantic in the late 80s, and the other two were created by Fantasy [[now owned by Concord). The boxes were pricey, around $100 USD each, but they contained nine or more discs per box.

Before the TCMSC, many people complained that the two Hitsville boxes did not go far enough, that they were woefully inadequate, and they were right. But, now, with the tapes all mastered, it wouldn't be much of a problem to recompile the TCMSC into a similar type of set such as the Stax boxes. All Harry Weinger would need is a hard sell to the Universal suits, and an approval.

Universal is on the right road with the mono sets for The Four Tops, The Supremes, Martha & The Vandellas, and the Temptations, but that still leaves out the other artists who did not have such a large catalog of singles.

With the Chartbuster series, the stereo fans are sitting pretty. But, what about all of we who want mono, yet were mostly priced out of that market? In some cases it was more like TCMSC vs. the car payment. TCMSC vs. food for the kid. TCMSC vs. school tuition. TCMSC vs. the electric bill.

radionixon
01-17-2014, 10:59 AM
I don't know - I mean, you're aiming this hypothetical "streamlined" TCMS set at people who want a physical copy of a mostly-complete, sixty-odd disc set of Motown A- and B- sides in no-frills packaging, who haven't bought the physical TCMS sets and won't buy the digital downloads out of principle? I doubt Universal would greenlight such a set - bearing in mind it would have to be online-only because of the sheer size, I think you're talking about a few hundred people, a couple of thousand at the absolute max. Not enough to justify that kind of understaking.

Aside: If it makes you feel better, I don't know your personal experience but in double blind tests I've never been able to tell the difference between high-bitrate MP3 files @ 320k and CDs, at least on cheaper/everyday equipment - there IS a difference when I play them out through the mixing console down at the radio station, but most people don't have $12,000 hi-fis [[and the ones that do surely weren't faced with the TCMS/kids' food dilemma.) I used to be the same as you - instinctively reacting against the word "lossy", which naturally implies we're missing out, playing CDs and MP3s back to back and insisting one sounded worse than the other - until I took the Pepsi challenge courtesy of a friend who considers himself a serious audiophile, and I honestly couldn't tell which was which.

tamla617
01-17-2014, 11:51 AM
Soulster
I'll check but I'm positive there aren't any B sides on the Stax Volumes.
My Chartbusters remark wasn't a Mono v Stereo thing. I meant just another a Cd with 16 tracks, NOW that's what I call Motown, 16 big hits and not if it was stereo or Mono.

The amount of alternate mixes debate....Some people want different mixes, I do on certain tracks, there isn't a right or wrong thing. You wanting what you want isn't wrong either, just maybe not on commercial grounds.

I'm wrong on the 1st line but left it on anyway!

RossHolloway
01-17-2014, 01:00 PM
I still remember many years ago when HW first asked the question if there was any interest in such a singles project - and I truly appreciate how much HW and crew have been so responsive to us fans and how engaged they have all been. We Motown fans have been truly fortunate with all the great music that we've been treated to over the past 25 years or so.

With respect to TCMS I have made my personal opinion known in several threads and consider TCMS the most cherished part of my music collection. Without this collection I never would have gotten to hear probably 70% of those songs, nor learned much of the music's history, or information about many of the unheralded musicians, writers, producers, background singers, and artists. TCMS was/is the complete package, this series was a gift to the true, hardcore Motown fan like myself. As I've stated before, my one wish was for this series to continue past 1972, perhaps ending in 1988 when Mr. Gordy sold the company. Perhaps a company like ACE will pick up the baton and continue on with the series. I still think there is plenty of great music to revisit and stories to tell.

My other hope is for this series to SELL OUT. If we fans don't support these releases then they will STOP. But if we fans show our support by buying not only this collection but other releases then UM will continue to release material.

Many thanks to all those involved with the Complete Motown Series, and here's to hoping that there are still many great things to come from the Motown vault.

Amithesameboy
01-17-2014, 02:00 PM
Soulster
I'll check but I'm positive there aren't any B sides on the Stax Volumes.
My Chartbusters remark wasn't a Mono v Stereo thing. I meant just another a Cd with 16 tracks, NOW that's what I call Motown, 16 big hits and not if it was stereo or Mono.

There WERE a number of b-sides on the Stax volumes. I only wish there had been more.

tamla617
01-17-2014, 02:24 PM
Yeah I just checked but hardly any [[I should have said!) I wanted the B to Funky Chicken, "Turn your damper down" and Johnny Taylor Bs in particular.

soulster
01-17-2014, 05:28 PM
I don't know - I mean, you're aiming this hypothetical "streamlined" TCMS set at people who want a physical copy of a mostly-complete, sixty-odd disc set of Motown A- and B- sides in no-frills packaging, who haven't bought the physical TCMS sets and won't buy the digital downloads out of principle? I doubt Universal would greenlight such a set - bearing in mind it would have to be online-only because of the sheer size, I think you're talking about a few hundred people, a couple of thousand at the absolute max. Not enough to justify that kind of understaking.

There is a market, though. The other alternative, of course, is for someone to illegally download all those sets in FLAC.

Aside: If it makes you feel better, I don't know your personal experience but in double blind tests I've never been able to tell the difference between high-bitrate MP3 files @ 320k and CDs, at least on cheaper/everyday equipment - there IS a difference when I play them out through the mixing console down at the radio station, but most people don't have $12,000 hi-fis [[and the ones that do surely weren't faced with the TCMS/kids' food dilemma.) I used to be the same as you - instinctively reacting against the word "lossy", which naturally implies we're missing out, playing CDs and MP3s back to back and insisting one sounded worse than the other - until I took the Pepsi challenge courtesy of a friend who considers himself a serious audiophile, and I honestly couldn't tell which was which.

There are many people, recording engineers included, who can hear the difference, including me, and we don't need $12,000 stereos to hear it. We know what to listen for.

Motown4Ever518
01-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Now that I've actually played the set......I like it! First and foremost, even if BG was on the West Coast making things happen, he did not go to another constellation. Therefore, whatever was released had better be up to standards. And it was. Some of the songs may not have been the greatest songs, and I haven't heard anything under the banner of one that got away, but these are well made records and well crafted songs. I would welcome the series going up to 1988 if a company such as Ace were up to it. I didn't mention the the B-Sides which in some instances were quite good. In some cases this is like new music to me. But finished for release, where with a lot of the unreleased stuff, there is an element that there were a few steps missing in spite of some breath taking material.

carole cucumber
01-17-2014, 10:52 PM
Overall, the series has been top notch- it would be wonderful if it or some configuration like it could continue to 1988. But, I'll be thankful for what we've got and the wonderful team that brought it to us. I don't know if Harry or Keith have seen the question I asked about "The Good Things [[Where Was I When Love Came By) in the TCMS Vol 12 B thread. I 'm hoping that the reason that it's been un-noticed is because both are busy readying other Motown vault re-issues, whatever they might be.

radionixon
01-18-2014, 12:16 PM
There is a market, though. The other alternative, of course, is for someone to illegally download all those sets in FLAC.

I don't doubt there's a market, but whether there's enough of a market to make what you're suggesting worth Universal's effort to do it. You may well be right, and as others have said I don't have a problem with what you want, my own feeling is just that I disagree, only in so far as I think it's unrealistic.

There are many people, recording engineers included, who can hear the difference, including me, and we don't need $12,000 stereos to hear it. We know what to listen for.

I used to believe that too. Double blind testing has never supported that finding, though.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/431522/abx-test-of-320kbps-vs-flac-results

In fact, would you be up for a single blind test? I'll rip a random TCMS track of your choice as a FLAC or WAV and as an mp3 @ 320k which I'll then re-encode as a FLAC or WAV so the file sizes and extensions aren't a dead giveaway. I'll post the song 20 times, and you tell me which ones were which. If you get all 20 right, I'll apologise publicly and acknowledge the existence of "golden ears". If not, you lose nothing at all, except for the money you spend in the newfound knowledge you can enjoy TCMS as a legal download. What do you reckon?

[[This is meant to be a bit of fun rather than insulting, but I apologise wholeheartedly if it's coming over as aggressive. )

tamla617
01-18-2014, 05:58 PM
I'd take that challenge anytime..............................

and fail!

soulster
01-18-2014, 06:13 PM
I used to believe that too. Double blind testing has never supported that finding, though.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/431522/abx-test-of-320kbps-vs-flac-results

In fact, would you be up for a single blind test? I'll rip a random TCMS track of your choice as a FLAC or WAV and as an mp3 @ 320k which I'll then re-encode as a FLAC or WAV so the file sizes and extensions aren't a dead giveaway. I'll post the song 20 times, and you tell me which ones were which. If you get all 20 right, I'll apologise publicly and acknowledge the existence of "golden ears". If not, you lose nothing at all, except for the money you spend in the newfound knowledge you can enjoy TCMS as a legal download. What do you reckon?

[[This is meant to be a bit of fun rather than insulting, but I apologise wholeheartedly if it's coming over as aggressive. )

I don't give a damn what those head-hi-fi guys say. If one knows what to listen for, AND one's hearing isn't shot, one can hear a difference.

I have done those tests years ago, and with several codecs. With 320 kbps mp3, I hear the difference. Less so with very high-bit m4p.

iTunes music files are 256 AAC, and the difference painfully obvious.

The difference between, say, 24-bit/88.2 or 96k is also very obvious, provided no upsampling of redbook was done.

radionixon
01-18-2014, 07:55 PM
Hey, it's no skin off my nose, I'm not out to stop America's struggling high end audio salesmen buying boats, I just want as many people to enjoy this music as possible. Maybe Universal will release the whole thing as lossless download, if there are enough super duper trained audiophiles on a tight budget out there.

[[I'm being facetious, I know. In all seriousness - and this is probably a discussion for another time - I'm willing to believe there are people who find iTunes tracks "painful", but if learning what to listen for is the key, well, I have no interest in training myself to no longer enjoy music where I previously saw no problem. It sounds like a negative, unless you're a sound engineer. But to an audiophile I realise I probably sound like a simpleton.)

kje71
01-18-2014, 09:56 PM
MP3 and AAC compression has come a long way. I can't tell much of a difference these days. A few years ago, definitely. That being said, I have the whole series stored in flac along with needle drops of the replica 45s.

BTW still hoping for a correction disc with the proper mono versions that were botched in some of the series

calvin
01-18-2014, 11:22 PM
Many thanks to Harry, Keith and everyone who made this set possible. I have all volumes. Before this series began, the big hits were widely available but to go beyond them was difficult - there were sets with less-well-known singles but it always seemed that these songs were coming out in a haphazard way, if at all. Now they're all in a single set - and there are some great ones that I heard for the very first time in these volumes. There are certainly songs that I don't like, but with the set being complete I get to decide which ones I listen to, rather than someone putting together a compilation and deciding for me.

I bought them all from Amazon and the pricing seemed reasonable to me.

As for a budget-cd version... it seems doable to me, but I guess they'd want to wait a while so as not to undercut sales of the currently available sets. Sony and Warner have been doing this for some time - after years of selling individual album cds from a given artist at full price, they later - I guess when sales of the individual cds stall out - put them into a low-frill box and sell it at a very cheap per disc price. Sony has a 20-album/22-cd Miles Davis box for £30 on Amazon UK! Production costs are very low as they can just make the cds from already-existing masters, and packaging is pretty minimal. It seems that Universal is now also moving in this direction with some Motown artists - the new Jackson 5 box is 15 cds for £40 on Amazon UK, and weren't similar boxes for Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross also promised?

But perhaps these low prices for boxes only work for large sales volumes, and wouldn't work for the Motown Complete Singles? Then lossless downloads would really make even more sense to me - as you cut out even more costs, such as packaging, shipping to distributors, storage of unsold units, etc. Basically you'd just need to compress to flac and keep a copy on a server for customers to buy. You might not have many takers but you wouldn't need too many, and there are definitely people who would pay a bit more for a lossless download over a lossy one. But what do I know - I think that customers should always have the option of buying a lossless download at a lower price than the physical cd, and that obviously isn't the case.

soulster
01-18-2014, 11:56 PM
Hey, it's no skin off my nose, I'm not out to stop America's struggling high end audio salesmen buying boats, I just want as many people to enjoy this music as possible. Maybe Universal will release the whole thing as lossless download, if there are enough super duper trained audiophiles on a tight budget out there.

[[I'm being facetious, I know. In all seriousness - and this is probably a discussion for another time - I'm willing to believe there are people who find iTunes tracks "painful", but if learning what to listen for is the key, well, I have no interest in training myself to no longer enjoy music where I previously saw no problem. It sounds like a negative, unless you're a sound engineer. But to an audiophile I realise I probably sound like a simpleton.) No you don't sound like a simpleton. You just sound like a guy who doesn't want to know. But, once you do hear the differences, you always hear them, and you can never go back.

I noticed a couple of you zeroed in on the part of my post about how some people don't want lossy downloads. My main argument is that people out there would like these singles versions, but could not afford to pay the $100 + dollars for the volumes. How much would these sets have cost without the embellishments? Much less. If Universal wanted to squeeze out some more profits from this collection, they could.

I kind of wonder if those apposed to my idea might be more worried about their deluxe sets dropping in resale value.

I believe Calvin understands what i'm saying.

kje71
01-19-2014, 12:23 AM
I got most of my TCMS sets for $60-75 brand new, you have to know where to find the deals. Barebones releases probably wouldn't be much less than that. MP3/itunes lossy downloads are already $45-70 per set, and lossless downloads usually cost a bit more. Still looking at a $800+ cost for all the sets

soulster
01-19-2014, 03:15 AM
I got most of my TCMS sets for $60-75 brand new, you have to know where to find the deals. Barebones releases probably wouldn't be much less than that. MP3/itunes lossy downloads are already $45-70 per set, and lossless downloads usually cost a bit more. Still looking at a $800+ cost for all the sets Can you clue us in on where you found those bargains?

kje71
01-19-2014, 03:39 AM
Barnes & Noble back when they used to have decent % off coupons. Also J&R which sadly, no longer sells music or movies. And Amazon for the more recent 71B-72B, though they tend to be a bit on the higher end of the spectrum but usually never over $90

kenneth
01-19-2014, 04:25 AM
Can you clue us in on where you found those bargains?

At Blowitoutahere, most of the sets are about $73, though a few are as high as $89. It's a great site, though, always competitive prices.

http://www.blowitoutahere.com/search?q=complete+motown+singles&mod=AP

radionixon
01-19-2014, 06:27 AM
No you don't sound like a simpleton. You just sound like a guy who doesn't want to know. But, once you do hear the differences, you always hear them, and you can never go back.

Well, quite - I'm not usually a fan of the "ignorance is bliss" argument, but this seems like a case for it. But like I said, this is a conversation for another time and place - you seem like a good guy and I have no quarrel with you.

I noticed a couple of you zeroed in on the part of my post about how some people don't want lossy downloads. My main argument is that people out there would like these singles versions, but could not afford to pay the $100 + dollars for the volumes.

Well, no, your main argument is that people out there would like these singles versions, but could not afford to pay the $100+ dollars for the volumes, and don't want lossy downloads. That last part is the key, because otherwise the immediate answer is "then get it cheap on MP3", which is why some of us zeroed in on the lossy bit. Whether you like it or not, it's a good enough answer to your question for 95% of the general public, so the only way to convince Universal to go with your plan is to argue that's not good enough for a significant enough percentage of people.

And it might well be. Just because I don't have a horse in this race, it doesn't mean I want all the other horses to trip over. Or something like that. If it's viable and leads to lots more people enjoying the complete works of the world's greatest record label during its greatest time, then I hope UMe do it tomorrow. I just personally think you're asking for something not enough people want to make it realistic.

How much would these sets have cost without the embellishments? Much less.

See, I don't believe that's necessarily true - assuming by "embellishments" you mean the liner notes, essays, packaging, and whichever extra mixes/B-sides you personally deem to be extraneous, you're still talking about a 60-disc CD collection, and because UMe need to make significant money on it if they're going to do a physical release, it'd surely still cost a few hundred quid - potentially *more* of a financial hit for fans who only wanted the Golden Age mid-Sixties volumes?

[[And that's without getting into the whole notion of calling those things embellishments in the first place; for me the notes and essays are as much a part of the series as the music. But I could be putting words in your mouth.)

I kind of wonder if those apposed to my idea might be more worried about their deluxe sets dropping in resale value.

I'm not opposed to your idea at all, the more people who get to enjoy this series the better. Also, while I'm never selling mine [[it's a treasure, the whole thing is a work of art taken as a whole), I doubt the resale value of the sets has much if anything to do with the audio - it's more the physical content, the "embellishments" you mention.

précis/tl;dr version: In an ideal world everyone would have the TCMS they want, and I'd be delighted for that to happen, but it feels a bit like nit-picking when what we've already got is so spectacularly good.

radionixon
01-19-2014, 06:37 AM
As for a budget-cd version... it seems doable to me, but I guess they'd want to wait a while so as not to undercut sales of the currently available sets. Sony and Warner have been doing this for some time - after years of selling individual album cds from a given artist at full price, they later - I guess when sales of the individual cds stall out - put them into a low-frill box and sell it at a very cheap per disc price.

This is a really good point and one which I hadn't considered before. Some of the volumes are sold out for sure - do we have any idea as to which ones still have first-hand copies knocking around?

I agree a lossless download would be the way forward if this is an issue for a lot of people.

tamla617
01-19-2014, 08:59 AM
I'm not bothered if the TCMS series falls in value. I wanted, like radionixon, the package with all the bits and pieces. I'm not sure how many tracks I didn't have, either singles or album tracks but there were a lot of single mixes I didn't have because my LP tracks far outweigh 7" ers. I also think if there was a good commercial reason for releasing Hi-rez type downloads it would/will be done. A cheaper no frills TCMS might be done some time in the future but not until the current box sets sell out, I cant see Hipo/Universal wanting to damage the current sales and wreck the plans they set out on day one. This kind of release maybe unique and never to be repeated MUST be a success for us fans to get anything like it again. If TCMS doesn't achieve what chance do other labels stand?

Its not new, You can't please all the people all the time. I'd say you can't EVER please all the people. Even a "relatively small" bunch of music fans, I don't mean people that like a few Motown top 30 chart hits and don't know or want to investigate Motown history any further, of which, there are tens of 1000's in the UK alone.

backflipboy
01-20-2014, 07:57 AM
Most of the TCMS Albums are here as a download at a reasonable price ....... might be worth a look !
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=motown+complete+singles+vol+?&c=music&docType=2

soulster
01-20-2014, 10:48 AM
Most of the TCMS Albums are here as a download at a reasonable price ....... might be worth a look !
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=motown+complete+singles+vol+?&c=music&docType=2
You do understand that some of us don't want lossy downloads, right?

Amithesameboy
01-20-2014, 12:21 PM

And maybe also understand that some of us have not the faintest idea what a lossy download is ?

backflipboy
01-20-2014, 12:49 PM
Simple, don't buy them then !
I've got all the volumes on CD, but posted the info for people who can't afford to buy them on CD, as I thought they were a good price .........

Stupid me for doing something that *MAY* help someone !

R. Mark Desjardins
01-20-2014, 01:38 PM
backflipboy, thank you for your comments. I appreciate the time you took took post and share your thoughts!

soulster
01-20-2014, 03:55 PM
And maybe also understand that some of us have not the faintest idea what a lossy download is ?

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr12/articles/lost-in-translation.htm

Amithesameboy
01-20-2014, 05:26 PM
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr12/articles/lost-in-translation.htm

Thank you for trying to enlighten me, but that sort of article is so staggeringly dull that I could't get very far.