PDA

View Full Version : Encyclopedia Britannica Entry - Diana Ross

test

jobeterob
01-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Encyclopedia Britannica Logo
Written by
The Editors of Encyclopædia Britannica

Diana Ross, original name Diane Earle [[born March 26, 1944, Detroit, Mich., U.S.), American pop singer and actress who achieved international stardom, first as leader of the vocal group the Supremes and later as a solo artist.

Ross’s professional career began in 1959, when she joined several neighbourhood friends to form the pop-soul vocal group the Primettes. The group was renamed the Supremes after signing a recording contract with Motown late the following year. Consisting of Ross, Mary Wilson, and Florence Ballard [[replaced in 1967 by Cindy Birdsong), the Supremes achieved 12 number one hits on the pop charts, including “Baby Love” [[1964), “Stop! In the Name of Love” [[1965), and “Someday We’ll Be Together” [[1969). In 1967 the group was renamed Diana Ross and the Supremes, foreshadowing Ross’s solo career, which she launched in 1970.

Beginning with “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” from her debut album Diana Ross [[1970), Ross enjoyed more than a decade of chart-topping success in multiple categories. “Love Hangover” [[1976) and “Upside Down” [[1980) were among her pop hits, while her duet with the Commodores’ Lionel Richie, “Endless Love” [[1981), topped Billboard magazine’s pop, rhythm and blues [[R&B), and adult contemporary charts. Ross also developed a film-acting career in the 1970s, beginning with a starring role as blues singer Billie Holiday in Lady Sings the Blues [[1972) and continuing with Mahogany [[1975), for which she also recorded the hit theme song “Do You Know Where You’re Going To,” and The Wiz [[1978).

After riding a wave of hits into the mid-1980s, Ross saw her commercial fortunes begin to wane. Much of her work showed a stylistic shift from pop and R&B toward disco, and the bulk of her albums were either rereleases or rerecordings of earlier material. In 2006, however, she issued I Love You, a compilation of her own interpretations of love songs by various artists, and she embarked on a vigorous concert tour the following year to promote the album. Despite her virtual absence from the charts, Ross remained a popular concert draw into the early 21st century, propelled by her enduring status as one of the preeminent musical performers of her time. With the Supremes, she was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1988.

Jimi LaLumia
01-12-2014, 02:25 PM
she was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1988....
and has since become the central character/figurehead in MOTOWN:THE MUSICAL,the biggest hit on Broadway in years, a show with eyes on a national [[and international) tour,and eventually, a major motion picture..all about DIANA ROSS...

soulster
01-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Sorry for the threadcrap, but do you guys spend every waking minute thinking about Diana Ross? I mean, you are now resorting to posting entries from a dictionary as a thread topic?

Again, sorry, but this is a good example of obsession. Do what you want, though. Knock yourselves out. I'm just wondering if there are other artists apart from Diana Ross, and anything remotely associated with her, that you all are interested in in life.

Carry on...

Jimi LaLumia
01-12-2014, 02:46 PM
I'm very big on Wayne/Jayne County and The New York Dolls, Patti Smith and Blondie, UK stars Toyah and Adam Ant, The Beatles and The Stones, David Bowie and T.Rex, Stax/Volt and Atlantic stuff, but none of that is for the Motown Forum, is it?..also love Levi, Martha,Wanda, Kendricks and Ruffin, Jr. Walker, and LADY GAGA!!

jobeterob
01-12-2014, 04:07 PM
Sorry for the threadcrap, but do you guys spend every waking minute thinking about Diana Ross? I mean, you are now resorting to posting entries from a dictionary as a thread topic?

Again, sorry, but this is a good example of obsession. Do what you want, though. Knock yourselves out. I'm just wondering if there are other artists apart from Diana Ross, and anything remotely associated with her, that you all are interested in in life.

Carry on...

For some reason, this has shown up on recent news feeds; I don't know why; perhaps it's new to Britannica; perhaps Britannica just found her.

Anyways, it showed up; it always attracts interest as you can see here.

So I posted it.

smark21
01-12-2014, 06:35 PM
Jobetrob, given that most of your posts here relate to Diana Ross and the Supremes, what other acts, past or current, do you enjoy besides DR w or w/o TS?

Jimi LaLumia
01-12-2014, 06:51 PM
it's ALL about MISS ROSS!'
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/574895/the-Supremes

jobeterob
01-12-2014, 09:46 PM
Jobetrob, given that most of your posts here relate to Diana Ross and the Supremes, what other acts, past or current, do you enjoy besides DR w or w/o TS?

Beach Boys a lot, Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Lesley Gore, Petula Clark, Gerry Rafferty, Anne Murray, Martha & the Vandellas, Mary Wells, Four Tops, Moody Blues, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Dusty Springfield, Joni Mitchell, America, Grass Roots, Aretha Franklin; anything 60's; anything Motown. And I do know some of the current crop because I lead some fitness training classes, interval training and boot camp, so I know a little bit of Kesha, Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Usher, etc., some of the current crop.

I am only a defender of Diana Ross because Marv, particularly in the early years was allowed to defame and victimize an R & B icon ~ so I became the resident SD Defender that stuck with the job. I'm pleased with the job I've done too. I know it might piss some of you off from time to time, particularly people that came later ~ I accept the annoyance and I accept I will remain one of the Defenders.

But I clearly recognize she is just a woman, not highly educated bookwise, not a good writer, but a gifted, distinctive singer that learned her trade well, got big headed at a stage as she says, and came back down to earth recognizing her family is her biggest achievement and who is happy in her 70 year world.

Jimi LaLumia
01-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Everything Jobeterob said...100%..

captainjames
01-12-2014, 11:39 PM
Its all good Rob
Post what your heart desire.

soulster
01-12-2014, 11:52 PM
I have no problem if Diana Ross plumps your ball park frank, it just seems very odd to post an encyclopedia entry. I mean, has it come to that?

144man
01-15-2014, 12:14 AM
In view of copyright problems that SDF might face, wouldn't it be preferable to just post links rather than the whole entry?

jobeterob
01-15-2014, 12:16 AM
In view of copyright problems that SDF might face, wouldn't it be preferable to just post links rather than the whole entry?

Quite possibly a good idea.

smark21
01-15-2014, 08:57 AM
Incidentally the entry starts off on the wrong foot by claiming her original name was Diane Earle. Ross has always been her family name. Encyclopedia Brittanica has fallen on hard times in recent years as they no longer sell bound volumes, but surely they can afford some fact checkers?

marybrewster
01-15-2014, 01:42 PM

A very good idea.

With no offense to Ralph and the other owners/moderators of SDF, I am actually pleased they received the notice. I had mentioned long ago that I thought it was creepy that "fans" were stalking Facebook pages and claiming pictures as their own.

There is another "fan"out there that must spend HOURS upon HOURS scouring the 'net and especially eBay, posting as if the property is his. He even goes as far as to make-up names for the gowns that the Supremes wore: "the Orange Creamcicles", "the Seafoam Teardrops", "the Chocolate Starfish". Several Supremes, Mary included, have confirmed that only a FEW of the gowns had actual "names". Talk about delusion and obsession.

midnightman
01-20-2014, 02:55 PM
Incidentally the entry starts off on the wrong foot by claiming her original name was Diane Earle. Ross has always been her family name. Encyclopedia Brittanica has fallen on hard times in recent years as they no longer sell bound volumes, but surely they can afford some fact checkers?

And her birth name is Diana Ernestine Ross [[I'm not too sure about "Earle").

supremester
01-20-2014, 06:11 PM
The "Earle" issue stems, I am told, from the name used on her birth certificate from her mother's maiden name. Some folks claim the official paper read " Diana Ernestine Earle Ross" The City Of Detroit has not run this past me personally, so I defer to Marv on this.
And her birth name is Diana Ernestine Ross [[I'm not too sure about "Earle").

midnightman
01-25-2014, 01:32 AM
The "Earle" issue stems, I am told, from the name used on her birth certificate from her mother's maiden name. Some folks claim the official paper read " Diana Ernestine Earle Ross" The City Of Detroit has not run this past me personally, so I defer to Marv on this.

Ernestine's maiden name was Moten. I doubt there was a fourth name unless it's her confirmation name and as far as I know about her religious upbringing, she was Baptist, not Catholic so that's why I said "Diana Ernestine Ross". I know some people are born with four names but I'm not too sure about Diana's.