PDA

View Full Version : A “Funny” Reissue In 2014?

test

jobeterob
01-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Jan

A “Funny” Reissue In 2014?

Diana Ross Supremes

“Lookin’ down you’ll never see me, try the sky ’cause that’ll be me…”

Before I write anything else, I must say I have no information regarding the possibility of a Baby It’s Me Expanded Edition. That is the number one topic that brings people to this little website, and is easily the most asked question over e-mail — my original post on the 1977 LP is far and away the most viewed on The Diana Ross Project. I wish I had some news — if any Diana Ross album deserves the deluxe treatment, it’s this one. It’s ripe for rediscovery, especially as more and more people finally start to realize what a singular musical talent the singer really is.

All that said, I hear from sources that 2014 will likely bring us the release of a “long-awaited cover” by Diana Ross & The Supremes on the wonderful Hip-O Select label. Does this mean Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing And Perform Funny Girl will finally get a proper CD release for fans?

If so, this is fantastic news. Although thus far The Diana Ross Project has solely been devoted to the solo career of Miss Ross, the 1968 Funny Girl LP was arguably the first major showcase for Diana Ross as a solo star. There is no doubt that the goal of the album was to position Diana as an entertainment force; critics had heralded Barbra Streisand as the ultimate female entertainer in Funny Girl on Broadway, and her film adaptation was about to be released. According to J. Randy Taraborrelli’s Diana Ross: A Biography, “Berry [Gordy] had the shrewd idea of beating the original soundtrack recording into the shops” [[192). Though it was apparently rushed, the man who wrote the music for the show, Jule Styne, was involved in the Motown recording and wrote glowing liner notes for the LP.

Diana’s vocal work on the album [[which really didn’t feature very much of the Supremes as a group) is easily her best of the entire decade; on some songs, her performances rival anything she’s done in her entire career. Producer Gil Askey is quoted by Taraborrelli as saying, “Diane was in her glory every step of the way” [[192), and that’s extremely apparent in the finished product. There’s an unparalleled joy in her vocals on songs like “I’m The Greatest Star” and “If A Girl Isn’t Pretty,” not to mention the kind of power and control one would expect from an experienced Broadway actress. This is especially true on the magical “The Music That Makes Me Dance,” a song which finally found its way onto CD with the 2009 Supremes compilation Love Songs. This is one of the most thrilling and romantic musical moments of Diana’s 50+ year career; listen to the way she leisurely paces the song, beginning with a warm, sultry croon and ending in a brassy belt worlds away from her early-60′s work. This is a tour de force.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed that, indeed, 2014 is the year of Funny Girl. Although there are albums fans would probably much rather see reissued [[not just Baby It’s Me…what about 1978′s Ross?), a chance to reevaluate this important moment in launching Diana Ross as a star would be a wonderful treat.

By Paul • Posted in Uncategorized • Tagged Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing And Perform Funny Girl [[1968)

Roger Polhill
01-11-2014, 08:33 PM
I have it on CD and I don`t remember playing it. It certainly isn`t a priority as there is so many more worthwhile discs in my collection.My favourite of theirs is "Sing Holland Dozier Holland" . Now that would be wonderful in a expanded edition.

jobeterob
01-11-2014, 08:57 PM
I have it on CD and I don`t remember playing it. It certainly isn`t a priority as there is so many more worthwhile discs in my collection.My favourite of theirs is "Sing Holland Dozier Holland" . Now that would be wonderful in a expanded edition.

It wouldn't be a choice of mine for reissue either.

Baby It's Me, Sing HDH, A Go Go would be better.

I wouldn't have reissued those Smokey albums either; I can't imagine they sold well.

But whatever is chosen is fine by me. I'll even buy FG.

daviddh
01-11-2014, 10:15 PM
i'll go for SING HDH as well. but what ever comes our way....

vgalindo
01-11-2014, 10:30 PM
Well I am dying for BIM and Ross 78. My Supremes favorite would also be SING HDH but would also buy what ever comes out. Funny Girl would also be very nice since it was never released on a studio CD before. I would also still love to have the unreleased Disney album released for the first time ever on CD.

kenneth
01-12-2014, 12:56 AM
I've enjoyed most of the concept albums, with the exception of "Liverpool" and the Disney, which from what I've heard it was a good idea not to release. But I love the C&W and Sam Cooke collections, the "Funny Girl" not as much but I still think it's entertaining. I'd love to see all of them released as a CD package.

lakedistrictlad1
01-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Isn't it interesting what appeals to one individual leaves another cold? The Disney recordings to my ears not only have wonderful production values and some creative arrangements, but also terrific vocals by Diana. I've always felt that could have been a consistent seller over the years in the same way the Supremes Christmas album has.
I for one cannot wait to see it released in It's complete form.

antceleb12
01-12-2014, 12:32 PM
I would like to see the Disney record released with bumped up background vocals. On the ones that are released, they mostly just blend in with the backdrop. I'd like to hear different mixes.

I do not care to see "Funny Girl" re-released. I'm not a fan of the music in general, and I don't care for the lack of use of Mary and Cindy. As a Supremes album, it should have featured a great deal more of Mary and Cindy.

rovereab
01-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Perhaps, as there are always individual pros and cons, the albums should be reissued in chronological order as per the original release schedule, just a thought.

longtimefan
01-12-2014, 12:45 PM
When HipO was in its heyday, I always thought -- and proposed -- that all of The Supremes concept albums [[except Rogers and Hart) should have been released in one package [[like The Marvelettes collection was more recently). Each album could have been "remastered," and a selection of alternates and unreleased tracks could have been included. I cannot believe it would not have sold the limited number of copies that HipO traditionally issued.

One selling point: FUNNY GIRL had never been on CD.

Another selling point: DISNEY had never been released at all.

Another selling point: A BIT OF LIVERPOOL, COUNTRY , WESTERN, AND POP, and WE REMEMBER SAM COOKE were early CD releases,that could have well benefited from remastering. Plus, they are now out of print

Uh, is that at least five selling points? :-)

antceleb12
01-12-2014, 01:03 PM
When HipO was in its heyday, I always thought -- and proposed -- that all of The Supremes concept albums [[except Rogers and Hart) should have been released in one package [[like The Marvelettes collection was more recently). Each album could have been "remastered," and a selection of alternates and unreleased tracks could have been included. I cannot believe it would not have sold the limited number of copies that HipO traditionally issued.

Another selling point: A BIT OF LIVERPOOL, COUNTRY , WESTERN, AND POP, and WE REMEMBER SAM COOKE were early CD releases,that could have well benefited from remastering. Plus, they are now out of print

The problem with releasing them in one package is the high price it would drive. Plus, what if one only wanted one or two albums but not the whole collection? If they were all to be released as one package, there should also be an option to purchase each album individually.

kenneth
01-12-2014, 02:46 PM
I understand the pricing issue for 3 CDs, but I think for the rarity of the pieces, people would buy it. If you remember the original Supremes "Anthology", one entire side was devoted to the concept LPs, and they actually programmed well together. I may just be wishing [[upon a star?) but I'm still hoping they'll all be released in one set eventually!

Roger Polhill
01-12-2014, 03:02 PM

"Sing Country Western & Pop" was remastered in 1994 on the Master Series.

booty
01-12-2014, 03:43 PM
"Sing Country Western & Pop" was issued in 1994 on the Motownh Master Series imprint 530-327. Copies are available from amazon.co.uk starting at £36.00 plus!

As can aside their "Live At London's Talk Of The Town" was the next release in the series, 530-328

mysterysinger
01-12-2014, 04:10 PM
Well "Funny Girl" is the only one I don't have on CD [[oh and G.I.T.) so yes I would welcome its release on this format please.

jobeterob
01-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Seems like there are plenty enough potential buyers for these products, no matter how they get released.

I would love it if they all came out together, digital or physical, with booklets available. $125 for the package or $30 to $35 bought individually.

But I'd take Baby It's Me first.

mysterysinger
01-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Umm but what's so good about BIM?

Jimi LaLumia
01-12-2014, 05:07 PM
it's FABULOUS!!!!!

ejluther
01-12-2014, 05:49 PM
I agree - BIM is terrific!

vgalindo
01-12-2014, 05:58 PM
I strongly agree. I love BIM. It's the best. This is the album that made me the biggest Diana Ross fan. I simply adore this album.

jobeterob
01-12-2014, 09:33 PM
I strongly agree. I love BIM. It's the best. This is the album that made me the biggest Diana Ross fan. I simply adore this album.

Baby It's Me is a cohesive album with several stand out tracks; it is better than Diana 1970 Diana 1980 and The Boss, all of which are excellent albums. Take a listen to Top of the World, The Same Love That Made Me Laugh, All Night Lover, You Got It, Confide In Me. The album suffered from some confusion at Motown ~ Getting Ready For Love was a poor choice for a single when you had Top of the World, All Night Lover and Same Love That Made Me Laugh; and why name an album after the weakest cut on the album?

nathanj06
01-13-2014, 10:34 AM
Perhaps, as there are always individual pros and cons, the albums should be reissued in chronological order as per the original release schedule, just a thought.

Exactly. I think that's what everyone was expecting. I was waiting for "A Go Go" and then...nothing. My hope is that these get completed but something seems very wrong with Hip-O or Motown Select. I would much prefer the individual albums including the concept albums. Then there's always the hope of a TCB/GIT DVD & CD set that would work so well together. HW and company do such an amazing job on these I would hate to see it end because UMG pulled the plug. Time is passing quickly...

nathanj06
01-13-2014, 10:51 AM
I wanted to add the fact that three beautiful black girls from Detroit who were up against Elvis and The Beatles speaks volumes. They deserve the same treatment for their recordings and contributions in music. I never understood this. Elvis is extremely documented in all forms. We are approaching the 50th anniversary of The Beatles coming to the U.S. which there will be a tv special on Feb. 9 on CBS. This year will also be the 50th year since The Supremes first number one hit. What they stood for and the doors they opened for so many others, they deserve to be celebrated.

marybrewster
01-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Once this is released digitally, is it possible that another company, such as ACE, will release it in physical form?

supremester
01-15-2014, 04:11 PM
I don't think there's a bigger DR&TS fan than me - and in '68 I knew the score from Funny Girl by heart. I was thrilled when I saw this album [[except for the pics in the pink) but when I played it - yeeeech. I still cringe when I hear "Keep those clouds away!" uggggggghhhhhh I hate most of the arrangements and while it IS a group album, the music doesn't lend itself to bg singers. It definitely sounds rushed to me and though I like some of ross' vocals, the project as a whole just gives me the creeps. I wish they had spent a month on it instead of two days and left in Rat tat Tat Tat and Who Taught her everything she Knows. I'm glad some fans love it but there's a reason this was a disaster sales wise. I would have given her 3 days per take to give her a chance to really develop the mood of the songs. This ain't HDH where she'd knock out 4 in two hours. She does a good job on Funny Girl, it could have been a masterpiece. I LOVE her people vocal on GIT. Funny Girl is without question the ross album I play the least. I do have a CD transfer if anyone wants one.

I'm hoping for expanded A Go Go, Reflections, Talk of the Town and Farewell.

the remastred CW&P and Talk of the Town are sublime.

longtimefan
01-15-2014, 05:08 PM
The remastred CW&P and Talk of the Town are sublime.

What do you mean by "remastered? Were these two released in CD a second time?

marybrewster
01-23-2014, 01:26 PM
Do you suppose "Funny Girl" didn't do well, initally, because it got "lost" among the buffet of DRATS LP's released on August 26, 1968? Does anyone know the reasoning why Motown was so aggressive to release not one, not two, but THREE "Supremes" albums that day [["Live at London's Talk of the Town", "Funny Girl" and "Join the Temptations")?

How much was an LP back in 1968? Would the average teenager been able to afford three albums in one day? Of the three, I can see how "Funny Girl" got lost in the shuffle.

And I know that you can't always believe what you read on WIKI, but I found this sentence to be interesting, yet true: It remains one of the most in demand albums in the Compact Disc format, often illegally duplicated.

I do hope this gets a proper, physical release.

supremester
01-23-2014, 01:40 PM
Join wasn't released that day - only the other two. Join came out in November sometime before the single. Albums were between 2.99 - 3.99 depending where you shopped. I think Funny Girl didn't do well because A) It was too close to the soundtrack's release. B) The album art was and remains hideous and totally devoid of anything whatsoever connected to the project. C) The entire project has a "rush job" feel to it.

reese
01-23-2014, 02:53 PM
Do you suppose "Funny Girl" didn't do well, initally, because it got "lost" among the buffet of DRATS LP's released on August 26, 1968? Does anyone know the reasoning why Motown was so aggressive to release not one, not two, but THREE "Supremes" albums that day [["Live at London's Talk of the Town", "Funny Girl" and "Join the Temptations")?

How much was an LP back in 1968? Would the average teenager been able to afford three albums in one day? Of the three, I can see how "Funny Girl" got lost in the shuffle.

And I know that you can't always believe what you read on WIKI, but I found this sentence to be interesting, yet true: It remains one of the most in demand albums in the Compact Disc format, often illegally duplicated.

I do hope this gets a proper, physical release.

I was only a toddler when the FUNNY GIRL was released. But if I had been older, and I had to choose between it and LIVE AT THE TALK OF THE TOWN, I definitely would have bought the latter, especially since it had hits on it.

When I finally did buy FUNNY GIRL [[for $1.99 at Woolworth's), I only made it through half of the title song before I stopped playing it. I just didn't get it. But years later, I really began to appreciate how good Diana's vocals were, certainly a long way from MEET THE SUPREMES. While it is still [[long with MEET) the album I am least likely to play, I still hope for it to be released on cd.

blueskies
01-23-2014, 05:56 PM
I had the LP and played it once. I don't remember hearing Mary and Cindy on it hardly at all? It's been eons since I've heard it, though. It certainly was never my favorite. But, I hope it's released for those that do like it and the 'completest'.

marybrewster
01-23-2014, 07:40 PM
Join wasn't released that day - only the other two. Join came out in November sometime before the single. Albums were between 2.99 - 3.99 depending where you shopped. I think Funny Girl didn't do well because A) It was too close to the soundtrack's release. B) The album art was and remains hideous and totally devoid of anything whatsoever connected to the project. C) The entire project has a "rush job" feel to it.

Thank you, supremester. I have no idea why I thought "Join" was released on the same day. Regardless, TWO albums released on the same day still seems a bit over overkill. Seems as though Motown forced the fans to "choose" one or the other. "FG" clearly fell short.

jobeterob
01-23-2014, 07:54 PM
You thought that just because they did so much so fast around that time; as I recall, Diana Ross & the Supremes had 5 albums on the Top 200 at the same time ~ I guess ignited by the TCB special which was "pretty special" at that time.

supremester
01-23-2014, 08:32 PM
I think Diana's vocals are good on Funny Girl, but, going up against a HUGE release like the film, I'd have done much more on the project.

I absolutely love all of Ross' vocals on Meet The Supremes. All hear on that album is a extremely gifted teenage vocalist who is putting her all into each track. I play it a lot. The only track 'm soft on are I Want A Guy, Buttered Popcorn and Your Heart Belongs To Me....I sweat all the others.

I think Woolworths sold more Funny Girl's than all other outlets combined.
I was only a toddler when the FUNNY GIRL was released. But if I had been older, and I had to choose between it and LIVE AT THE TALK OF THE TOWN, I definitely would have bought the latter, especially since it had hits on it.

When I finally did buy FUNNY GIRL [[for $1.99 at Woolworth's), I only made it through half of the title song before I stopped playing it. I just didn't get it. But years later, I really began to appreciate how good Diana's vocals were, certainly a long way from MEET THE SUPREMES. While it is still [[long with MEET) the album I am least likely to play, I still hope for it to be released on cd.

ejluther
01-23-2014, 08:38 PM
RE: LIVE AT TALK OF THE TOWN and FUNNY GIRL being released on the same day. Interestingly there was a history of putting 2 Supremes LPs out on the same day [[one live and one theme LP); MERRY CHRISTMAS and LIVE AT THE COPA were released on the same day [[11/1/65)...

smark21
01-23-2014, 09:29 PM
Diana Ross and the Supremes' Funny Girl album is evidence there wasn't a great deal of creative thinking going on at Motown in terms of shaping the group, and especially Diana Ross, to the white adult MOR audience. Imagine a top act of last year releasing an album performing the songs from Les Miz to cash in on the release of that musical last Christmas. "Justin Timberlake sings and performs Les Miserables".

supremester
01-23-2014, 11:11 PM
With 3 flop singles in a row, Flo gone and weak sales for their latest studio LP [[Reflections) Motown shooda gone into overdrive making this showcase worthy of a Grammy. Smark's smark about Justin is spot on - except JT's Les miz wooda been more carefully crafted. Every time I see that album package I just wanna beat Tom Adrahtas over the head with it. When you are going up against Babs, you don't give it the short shrift. At the time, Babs was slipping and, had the project been a home run and come out 2-3 months before the movie instead of 2 weeks before, it would have been quite a different sto-ray. Having Jule Styne writing the liner notes gives it credibility and grist for the mill concerning his distaste for Babs.

supremester
01-23-2014, 11:15 PM
AAAAAAAAAAND ANOTHER THING.............................

Talk of the Town should have been a gate fold package with special "now YOU are there!" pics, stats, reviews etc - like TCB & GIT and not one of those cheezy OmniPak things like Funny Girl.

LuvHangOva
01-24-2014, 04:19 AM
Umm but what's so good about BIM?

whats so good about it is Richard Perry's production and as someone else said the cohesiveness of the product. My opinion is most Diana Ross albums tried too hard to appeal to everyone and made ham- fisted choices. Baby It's Me strives for and succeeds at being the perfect "pop" vehicle. Most times someone would include some obligatory "funk" number, which never fails to make me hit the "next" button on my iPod. Try tho they might they never convince me that Miss Ross is a down home
"funky gal". Your Love Is So Good For Me" is the "funky" one on this set and for me it doesn't try too hard.. it still manages to give me that slick, glossy, fun, escapist Diana Ross "pop" that brought me into the store in 1964. The only other albums I recall having this type of cohesiveness are the Ashford and Simpson projects and the Chic "diana" classic. Richard Perry's vision of who Diana Ross is is by coincidence ithe same as mine.

marybrewster
02-13-2014, 10:20 AM
One question: at this point, is "Funny Girl" the ONLY Supremes/DRATS LP that's NEVER been issued on CD?

Shouldn't that ALONE warrant a physical release? Even if it's no frills/no extras/no expanded?

antceleb12
02-13-2014, 11:37 AM
One question: at this point, is "Funny Girl" the ONLY Supremes/DRATS LP that's NEVER been issued on CD?

Shouldn't that ALONE warrant a physical release? Even if it's no frills/no extras/no expanded?

To Supremes fans, yes. To the rest of the world who couldn't give a flying crap about the Supremes anymore, or don't even have an idea that FG exists since it bombed the first time around, not so much. It's all about the money. Yes, there is a large fan base that really wants this release, but it's probably not big enough to draw in the profits they need to make the release worth the expense.

marybrewster
02-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Then they need to "lease" it out to another company that's willing to take the gamble.

They clearly didn't think "Partners" would sell, yet almost every outlet, at one point, was sold-out or on back-order. Amazon says they only have 1 left.

Someone's makin' money.

antceleb12
02-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Then they need to "lease" it out to another company that's willing to take the gamble.

They clearly didn't think "Partners" would sell, yet almost every outlet, at one point, was sold-out or on back-order. Amazon says they only have 1 left.

Someone's makin' money.

True. I think Universal's still skeptical about the success of these releases because they're not "Top 40" anymore.

marybrewster
02-13-2014, 02:38 PM
I agree! But you don't build a billion dollar company without having to take a risk or two.....

daviddh
02-13-2014, 02:44 PM
in 1968, Motown released 6 albums on the Supremes in one year so the ladies really competed against themselves. over a period of time ,some of the albums did well but some did not.
March 68 Reflections
August Talk of the Town
Funny Girl
sept Love Child
Nov Join
dec TCB
wow who releases 6 albums in one year?Motown

skooldem1
02-13-2014, 02:46 PM

Someone's makin' money.

How many copies did these outlets have to sell? I suspect it was a very limited release and these outlets didn't have many copies to sell.

supremester
02-13-2014, 03:23 PM
The Love Child album came out just before Thanksgiving as I recall. It couldn't be September because there was no Love Child song until late September. Your point is a good one: in 3.5 months, there were FIVE DR&TS albums hitting the market: 2 smashes, one a qualified hit, one "OK" one disaster. Very tough on the pocketbook!
in 1968, Motown released 6 albums on the Supremes in one year so the ladies really competed against themselves. over a period of time ,some of the albums did well but some did not.
March 68 Reflections
August Talk of the Town
Funny Girl
sept Love Child
Nov Join
dec TCB
wow who releases 6 albums in one year?Motown

ejluther
02-15-2014, 10:19 AM
Just a quick note to say that the main reason I'm "okay" with a download release is because if Andy, George & their team with all their love, devotion & care can't get a physical CD released then it just can't be done! Having said that, if a letter writing campaign, kickstarter, deluxe packages or whatever would make it so physical releases could continue I trust Andy, etc. would let us know what to do...