PDA

View Full Version : New Source for Motown Reissues?

test

Nothing But Soul
01-10-2014, 07:46 AM
I see among the future releases listed on amazon.com are two David Ruffin two-fers consisting of David's first four [[released) solo albums. These may be superfluous to many of us who have been with SDF for a while and already have the out of print Hip-O-Select sets, but still it's great to see another label start to reissue Motown music. The label doing these David Ruffin reissues is Real Gone Music, which is run by Gordon Anderson, who used to run the now defunct Collector's Choice label. Real Gone Music is a US reissue label which should not be confused with the Real Gone Jazz label, which is one of those UK labels that reissues music in the public domain.

Real Gone Music is not primarily a soul or R&B reissue label, but they have done some such releases, primarily from the vaults of Atlantic Records. Last year's Sam Dees release and the recent Bettye Swann release are two examples. I'm hopeful that with a new label on the scene we may get some reissued Motown music that Universal and Ace haven't gotten around to. Junior Walker's 70's albums and the never completed Reel Music [[Blinky, Ivy Hunter) projects come to mind. Here are the links for the two upcoming David Ruffin albums:

http://www.amazon.com/Whole-World-Ended-Feelin-Good/dp/B00HQ0BTS4/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1389354206&sr=1-2&keywords=david+ruffin

http://www.amazon.com/David-Ruffin-Rock-Roll-Here/dp/B00HQ0BTIY/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1389354269&sr=1-1&keywords=david+ruffin

marybrewster
01-10-2014, 10:24 AM
Perhaps then there is hope for the future of physical product on other Motown artists.

kenneth
01-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Gordon Anderson, now with Real Gone but formerly of Collector's Choice, has released some great stuff over the years. They don't "unearth" as much unreleased stuff as does Hip-O or Ace/Kent, but they have consistently released rare and out of print material on some great artists supplemented by hard to find B-sides and some unreleased material over the years. Real Gone has also started to reissue some sets which were previously issued on Collector's Choice, such as the complete Perry Como and Doris Day Christmas sets.

This is good news for Motown collectors so if any didn't buy the previously issued David Ruffin sets, I'd encourage them to buy these.

snakepit
01-10-2014, 07:13 PM
Good News
Is it too much to hope that The Originals LPs will find a release outlet?

grapevine
01-12-2014, 06:58 AM
...an ardent wish from this quarter too Snake ...the more Originals I hear the more I cannot fathom why they were not as successful as they should have been back in the day ...let's hope their Motown catalogue will receive the 2-fer treatment soon ...and we will at last be able to hear a remastered version of this Motown marvel...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wensO0w61jM

:)

mysterysinger
01-12-2014, 08:00 AM
Here, here [[and hear, hear!). Let's have a complete Originals with original artwork.

MrTopCat
01-27-2014, 05:08 PM
My Q is though - will it be 2 different CD's with 2 different CD cases per set or one CD with all the songs with the artwork that's on the Amazon page?