PDA

View Full Version : George Alexander label 45 release by The Supremes

test

woodward
01-08-2014, 12:36 PM
In June of 1965, a release was made by the Supremes The Only Time I'm Happy b/w Supremes Interview. The Complete Motown Singles volume states that Motown leased The Only Time to the New York based George Alexander label for use as a promotional single to be used in a special giveaway program. The odd thing about this release is that it carries a Motown series number, number 1079 which rumor has it that this number was allocated to a Little Lisa single, although there is no internal documentation to support this rumor.

Does anyone know anything about the George Alexander label out of New York? I had read somewhere that it was affiliated with RCA Victor, but that was only one claim. The Heat Wave book by David Bianco states that this number was unissued - a special promotional released on the George Alexander label out of New York.

It is of interest to all that there is a copy being auctioned off on eBay by People's Records of Detroit. It has a starting bid of $5.99 and there is currently one bid on it.

Does anyone know anything about the George Alexander label? I never heard of it nor do I know of any other releases on this label. Thanks.

radionixon
01-08-2014, 07:22 PM
We discussed this over on Motown Junkies when it came up in the discography. In brief, my theory is that this was a made-up label created by Motown themselves for promotional reasons:

http://motownjunkies.co.uk/2013/02/28/588/

The M 1079 / Little Lisa rumour can surely be safely discounted.

robb_k
01-10-2014, 04:14 PM
We discussed this over on Motown Junkies when it came up in the discography. In brief, my theory is that this was a made-up label created by Motown themselves for promotional reasons:

http://motownjunkies.co.uk/2013/02/28/588/

The M 1079 / Little Lisa rumour can surely be safely discounted.
Nixon is right. Motown reserved Motown 1079 for this release, which was, essentially, Motown's own label, just used for this release. I was around at the time and never saw nor heard ANY reference to Little Lisa having a release slated for Motown 1079.