PDA

View Full Version : HIP-O Update from Andrew Skurow on Facebook

test

jobeterob
01-07-2014, 11:44 PM
Andy Skurow

about an hour ago via mobile

Lots of fans have been asking about what's happening with HipoSelect releases. I can only speak about the releases I do, and the truth is, I'm not exactly sure. TCMS aside, it has been 14 months since our last Supremes release, and even longer for Diana Ross solo releases. That's the bad news.

Now, the good news: there is a long-awaited release currently scheduled for digital only release in March. [[Announcement to come in February).

And some more good news: we are working on several options for our future physical projects with Universal and will be able to report more soon.

Just know that we haven't fallen asleep at the wheel and that there will be more soon.

Fans have also asked where they can write. Universal encourages you to write to:
classic.motown@umusic .com, [[leave out the space) and you can [[privately or publicly) reach out to me or George Solomon here at Facebook.

We also make an occasional appearance on John Perrone's radio show [[Nightflight), or on the Soulfuldetroit Motown forum.

Diana and Mary are turning 70 this year and it's been 50 years since Where Did Our Love Go! We've got a lot of work to do, and we know it will be worth the wait!

antceleb12
01-07-2014, 11:48 PM
Thank you! Very good to hear! I'm not surprised there aren't many new Supremes releases. I think they've already said we've pretty much reached the bottom of the barrel [[at least of what they know exists).

skooldem1
01-07-2014, 11:50 PM
I thought it has been said that the record company [[Universal?) is not interested in doing these expanded releases anymore, and this is why we are urged to contact them via email to let them know that there is a market for it.

bradsupremes
01-08-2014, 12:19 AM
I thought it has been said that the record company [[Universal?) is not interested in doing these expanded releases anymore, and this is why we are urged to contact them via email to let them know that there is a market for it.

There is definitely a market for these releases and there are a lot of people who still don't know about them, but unfortunately Universal never promoted these expanded editions to begin with. If they wanted a return they should have invested in promotion. It's incredibly sad the execs at Universal think so poorly of the Motown catalog that they think it won't sell. You have to give a little to get a little.

jobeterob
01-08-2014, 12:40 AM
Brad, do you know for a fact that some of the execs are not interested in the Motown releases and believe they do not sell enough? There has always been an undercurrent of thought around that the white rock bands sell lots but Motown will not.

bradsupremes
01-08-2014, 01:46 AM
Brad, do you know for a fact that some of the execs are not interested in the Motown releases and believe they do not sell enough? There has always been an undercurrent of thought around that the white rock bands sell lots but Motown will not.

When I say execs I say it in a very broad term. Just look at Motown 50. Total bust. It was the 50th anniversary of a sound that changed American music which inspired and influenced so many people and continues to do so. It helped to bring social change in this country and what happens...barely anything. However, whenever there is anything Beatles the whole music industry has to do something. They practically throw a Beatles tribute at every fricking music awards show nearly every year. Universal could have jumped on the band wagon with Motown: the Musical, but once again...nothing. It's a clear sign they don't care. We have serious problem in the US and it's the theory of "out with the old, in with the new." The music industry has no appreciation for anything of the past. It's all about who's hot now and how to make a buck. That's why the majority of music being put out today is crap with no quality or shelf life. At least in the UK they appreciate the music of yesteryear. You don't see that here.

I don't know much about business, but what I do know is that there are people out there still in love with Motown music. I was at a concert on New Years Eve where the band performed Motown covers as well as original material completely influenced by Motown and the crowd went nuts. As a note the band members were in their 20's and early 30's. The crowd was a incredible mix of young and old, but mostly young. They were singing and dancing along. Before, during the break, and after the set Motown and 60's soul records were played and people were out there on the dance floor as if the music was brand new. People are still loving this music, but how are they going to know about any of these releases if they aren't promoted. Universal just sits on their hands thinking we, the fans, will spread the word and hope it sells. If they made an effort in promoting these releases maybe they will see the sell numbers are there and see the back catalog still sells. What good is it just sitting in the vaults? Sell when the opportunity is there and when the artists are still around.

vgalindo
01-08-2014, 01:46 AM
I sure do hope the digital release is not BIM. I want a double expanded CD of this album. I hate digital releases...

longtimefan
01-08-2014, 02:03 AM
A big "Thank You" to Andy for reaching out. We all know that he is an employee and appreciate whatever he feels he can share.

That said, I am fearful that we may have seen the last of the expanded editions in CD format. As evidence:

1. First, there has been a huge time gap and slow down since the last releases and in 2013 as Andy mentions. This implies that something significant is going on and decisions are being made. Motown Select "stopped" for some reason. Also, a reminder that the production of I HEAR A SYMPHONY [[EXPANDED EDITION) was only 2000 copies.

2. Additionally, Andy states that he is "not exactly sure" what's going one [[We appreciate the honesty) and that "we" are working on some options for future physical products. This means MORE time in addition to the 14 month+ t hat has passed before any possibility of a release. This does not sound hopeful. And "options" imply "proposals for the future." Since next to none have apparently been given a go ahead for over a year, sadly,I see a trend forming.

3. Finally, learning that a long awaited "digital only" release is coming in March further cements my feelings that digital is the way of the future. If it is "long awaited," it must have been originally prepared for CD and now is being released digitally.

A year or more ago I wrote my suggestion that the remainder of the DRATS studio LPS be grouped together in one package like The Marvelettes and The 70s Supremes releases, thus offering us remastered recordings and one disc of related rarities. That way we could have at least had some sense of completion.

In conclusion, those who read my ideas here and reply that "we should all be thankful for what we have actually gotten from HipO" have a point. Of course, I am grateful to have many, many releases that once upon a time I never dreamed I would own. But at the same time, as a consumer, I am willing to purchase more recordings in the future. Many of us wish to complete the catalogues of some artists, also. Actually, having had the opportunity to purchase all that we have so far from HipO is MOTIVATIONAL for consumers in the marketplace to buy more. Doesn't a good business plan aim for consumers to want more ... not merely be satisfied with what they have? :-)

skooldem1
01-08-2014, 02:07 AM
I sure do hope the digital release is not BIM. I want a double expanded CD of this album. I hate digital releases...

I heard it will be a "Supreme's" release.

vgalindo
01-08-2014, 02:16 AM
[QUOTE=skooldem1;207590]I heard it will be a "Supreme's" release.[/QUOTE

Thank you for what you heard. I am just being spoiled because I want all my Supremes to be a physical release too. Part of loving these expanded releases were the artwork and the booklets.

Ngroove
01-08-2014, 02:45 AM
When I say execs I say it in a very broad term. Just look at Motown 50. Total bust. It was the 50th anniversary of a sound that changed American music which inspired and influenced so many people and continues to do so. It helped to bring social change in this country and what happens...barely anything. However, whenever there is anything Beatles the whole music industry has to do something. They practically throw a Beatles tribute at every fricking music awards show nearly every year. Universal could have jumped on the band wagon with Motown: the Musical, but once again...nothing. It's a clear sign they don't care. We have serious problem in the US and it's the theory of "out with the old, in with the new." The music industry has no appreciation for anything of the past. It's all about who's hot now and how to make a buck. That's why the majority of music being put out today is crap with no quality or shelf life. At least in the UK they appreciate the music of yesteryear. You don't see that here.
Around the time of Motown 50, my area, my area's Borders bookstore had an entire "Motown" section, even displaying Motowners I usually don't see in physical store, like Jimmy Ruffin, Undisputed Truth, the Originals. And NOTHING says "Motown 50" like a big mother of boxed sets, as COMPLETE MOTOWN NUMBER ONES, costed me a pretty near two hundred for that formidable ten-disker in box modeled like Hitsville USA - but still worth it.

marybrewster
01-08-2014, 10:15 AM
[QUOTE=skooldem1;207590]I heard it will be a "Supreme's" release.[/QUOTE

Thank you for what you heard. I am just being spoiled because I want all my Supremes to be a physical release too. Part of loving these expanded releases were the artwork and the booklets.

I'm with you, vgalindo.

I refer to the boolets often when trying to find a tidbit. The "timelines" that were included in booklet are quite a valuable resource.

lakedistrictlad1
01-08-2014, 01:53 PM
I'd rather pay DOUBLE for a physical release from Hip-O than a digital download.

Sigh....doesn't sound like good news to me.

blueskies
01-08-2014, 03:28 PM
I agree. I have NO interest in digital downloads. I want the booklet and CD in my hands.

marybrewster
01-08-2014, 03:29 PM
I'd rather pay DOUBLE for a physical release from Hip-O than a digital download.

Sigh....doesn't sound like good news to me.

I agree with that too.

I wonder: could these EE's be issued in a truly LIMITED PHYSICAL release? Say, 500 copies? And have ONE outlet in which to purchase? I can only speculate, but I wonder how accurate all of the sales figures have been with these releases, when so many online and brinck and mortar are selling them?

jobeterob
01-08-2014, 03:39 PM
I'm sure Universal knows the numbers.

I've always feared that the numbers are not that great which is why there has always been the "stops and starts". It is probably a challenge to get them out. And the pricier the package, the weaker the sales.

I'd prefer the physical package. If it gets reduced to "digital", I hope that we can still have a booklet, even if we have to print it to read it. I'd be happy with that.

I think Baby It's Me is a "must have" and I would take it over anything else.

motown01
01-08-2014, 04:04 PM
I have no issue with digital releases - especially if it means that we'll continue to receive expanded / unreleased editions that we wouldn't otherwise see released.

No waiting times and I don't need to convert the CD to my iPod anyway. If a digital booklet is included, all the better.

daviddh
01-08-2014, 04:48 PM
I am grateful to Andy , Harry and the gang for all that they do, and I mostly appreciate the update and honesty to let us know what is or isn't happening.
if the digital download is the way of the future , I'm in. it is better than nothing , which is what we have had for a year.
thank you Andy

R. Mark Desjardins
01-08-2014, 08:43 PM
I've purchased almost every Motown Select offering and will miss the excellent packaging and care that went into these special offerings. Getting the word out to the more casual fan who is not a member of this site most likely hampered sales big time. Hopefully much thought will go into making further releases available in CD format.

blueskies
01-08-2014, 09:48 PM
I've purchased almost every Motown Select offering and will miss the excellent packaging and care that went into these special offerings. Getting the word out to the more casual fan who is not a member of this site most likely hampered sales big time. Hopefully much thought will go into making further releases available in CD format.

Amen to that!

MotownLover
01-09-2014, 05:16 PM
I have purchased all of the Motown Select issues, and in a few cases, more than one. I'm really missing these excellent releases the longer they fail to issue more and more. But, then again, I guess it is saving my pocket book a bit in expenditures...

Roger Polhill
01-09-2014, 05:47 PM
I too would rather have a CD release with the booklet and annotations but if the only way is through downloads then so be it. The paperwork should also be available for download.
As far as physical releases are concerned re the over worked greatest hits packages that always seem to crop up, just add a couple of unreleased sides and I`m sure most of us who avoid such items would be sucked in. It`s not rocket science.

rovereab
01-09-2014, 06:03 PM
I prefer a full CD release but would also like the opportunity to buy the mono mixes of albums that have already been reissued in stereo via download. For example, I'd like the mono versions of Marvin & Tammi's duet albums to supplement The Complete Duets.

vgalindo
01-10-2014, 01:14 AM
I sent a message to Andy saying how much I really wanted BMI and Ross 78 to be a expanded physical CD release and he said that he is really working hard to make it happen to keep our fingers crossed.

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
01-10-2014, 01:31 AM
Well that eliminates those 2 releases for digital only release in March for now. Could it be "Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing And Perform Funny Girl", "Cellarful Of Motown Vol. 5", "Supremes Sing Country Western & Pop", "A Bit Of Liverpool" or "We Remember Sam Cooke"?

jobeterob
01-10-2014, 01:33 AM
Well that eliminates those 2 releases for digital only release in March for now. Could it be "Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing And Perform Funny Girl", "Cellarful Of Motown Vol. 5", "Supremes Sing Country Western & Pop", "A Bit Of Liverpool" or "We Remember Sam Cooke"?

Well, that's a sucky bunch of albums with a few gems here and there and perhaps Mary and Florence on a few of the songs. We'll take it.

thanxal
01-10-2014, 08:48 AM
Well, that's a sucky bunch of albums with a few gems here and there and perhaps Mary and Florence on a few of the songs. We'll take it.
Right on. While that's sucky, and I'd really LOVE to have A'Go Go, I'll take whatever gems they care to release. I don't care if its digital only. My LP wall is full and my CD wall is fuller. Digital is fine with me.

marybrewster
01-10-2014, 10:23 AM
Never cared for "Baby It's Me" or "Ross '78".

Seems to me a physical release on something Supremes-related makes more sense; Mary Wilson has always been willing to provide insight and quotes for the lush booklets that Andy and George provide. I don't know that Diana has been involved at all.

ejluther
01-10-2014, 11:37 AM
I'm ok with digital [[high resolution please!) - it's better than nothing, obviously. But I'd pay nicely [[extra?) to have access to a digital booklet like the absolutely gorgeous ones we've had in the past - the love and care put into those are, in some ways, just as satisfying as the music itself! How can we make that happen? Maybe you could market a "Print It Yourself" high-quality artwork option with special materials [[the blank booklet pages, blank slip cover, etc.) and set a new market standard for digital releases?

jobeterob
01-10-2014, 12:09 PM
If we get a digital booklet, I'd be happy.

I was told once that the product is provided to Diana Ross, anything to do with her, and she generally makes a comment like "very nice".

keith_hughes
01-10-2014, 06:16 PM
And yet ...

UMG seem to have launched a new label, very quietly. It's called "Motown Gospel". And what seems to be its first release is scheduled for Jan 14. See http://www.amazon.com/I-Have-Dream-Various/dp/B00CU9LGP2/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1389391868&sr=1-3&keywords=motown+gospel

Maybe the days of Motown CDs are not quite over.

carole cucumber
01-10-2014, 07:46 PM
And yet ...

UMG seem to have launched a new label, very quietly. It's called "Motown Gospel". And what seems to be its first release is scheduled for Jan 14. See http://www.amazon.com/I-Have-Dream-Various/dp/B00CU9LGP2/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1389391868&sr=1-3&keywords=motown+gospel

Maybe the days of Motown CDs are not quite over.

But these 2013 releases are on the Motown Gospel label.....
http://www.amazon.com/Greater-Than-Tye-Tribbett/dp/B00D3ZJF2S/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1389397276&sr=1-5&keywords=motown+gospel

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Never-Fails-Micah-Stampley/dp/B00F7K5PI0/ref=sr_1_6?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1389397276&sr=1-6&keywords=motown+gospel

And this 2014 one:
http://www.amazon.com/Icon-Clark-Sisters/dp/B00GC82ENU/ref=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1389397460&sr=1-7&keywords=motown+gospel

keith_hughes
01-11-2014, 05:09 AM
you're perfectly right, Carole, I hadn't noticed those [[and they probably got a mention somewhere on SDF!) ... but this seems to be the first time UMG have used the label for 1960s Motown material.

And they are CDs, giving hope to those [[like me) who prefer the shiny little biscuits with their booklets and high quality sound to digital downloads.

carole cucumber
01-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Keith,

I, too, am among those who prefer the physical product in hand over digital downloads.
But, I also did notice that "I Have A Dream" utilizes more inspirational songs pulled from outside the Motown catalog than within [[6/4).
But, like you, I hope that this is an indication that UMG is still willing to issue Motown cds of more specialized material than just the occasional greatest-hit rehashes we often see here.

shoo-be-doo
01-11-2014, 12:21 PM
I would so love to see a remastered, full stereo, release of 'In Loving Memory' perhaps with extra tracks if any exist. Some of the tracks on the album are stunning but as far as I know it was only ever issued in Mono including the poor quality CD issued some years back.

JohnnyB
01-11-2014, 12:57 PM
It's good to read there are many others who appreciate and value Hipo's expanded release series. I would encourage anyone who wishes for the series to continue to make their desires known to the powers that be at Universal. Andy has done incredible work for us, the fans. It is now time for us to be vocal and prove there is a market for the product. Let's help Andy make this happen beginning with Baby It's Me. It has been completed, but is on hold. Take a few minutes and send an email in support of the release.

We can help to make this happen...

longtimefan
01-11-2014, 03:09 PM
classic.motown@umusic.com

Let's all write ... and encourage oithers. If not ...... Oh. well!

Jimi LaLumia
01-11-2014, 06:09 PM
ok..I just sent this to the classic motown address..
Looking forward to the release of the expanded edition of BABY IT"S ME
by DIANA ROSS:
with the looming worldwide success of MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL, now is not
the time to stop, now is the time to capitalize on Motown fans, new and old, finding
out about the existing inventory of expanded editions, perhaps with tie ins to the
MOTOWN Broadway show's program booklet, either a few pages in the booklet,
or an insert..
all the existing expanded editions are potentially more sellable NOW than they were
upon their release, and we will support the continued releases to come.[[more ROSS,
more SUPREMES,please..)
Happy New Year,
Jimi LaLumia
GOOD TIMES Magazine/ Long Island, New York

jobeterob
01-11-2014, 07:12 PM
ok..I just sent this to the classic motown address..
Looking forward to the release of the expanded edition of BABY IT"S ME
by DIANA ROSS:
with the looming worldwide success of MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL, now is not
the time to stop, now is the time to capitalize on Motown fans, new and old, finding
out about the existing inventory of expanded editions, perhaps with tie ins to the
MOTOWN Broadway show's program booklet, either a few pages in the booklet,
or an insert..
all the existing expanded editions are potentially more sellable NOW than they were
upon their release, and we will support the continued releases to come.[[more ROSS,
more SUPREMES,please..)
Happy New Year,
Jimi LaLumia
GOOD TIMES Magazine/ Long Island, New York

Good job Jimi

kje71
01-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Well, maybe if the primary focus from hip-o wasn't Ross and Supremes for the past few years, conditions would be better. Variety helps

jobeterob
01-11-2014, 07:51 PM
Well I'm sure they look at what is bankable as part of the equation.

kje71
01-11-2014, 07:54 PM
Well I'm sure they look at what is bankable as part of the equation.
From personal experience, very little of my money, if any, has went to those expanded releases. TCMS, definitely. Expanded J5, Stevie, Marvin, Tops, Tempts, Miracles etc. every now and then would have been nice. Plus better promotion.

jobeterob
01-11-2014, 08:02 PM
I would have dropped the Copa CD for most anything else.

Roger Polhill
01-11-2014, 08:26 PM
The Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder and the Temptations catalogues have been sadly neglected.

Nothing But Soul
01-11-2014, 09:15 PM
The Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder and the Temptations catalogues have been sadly neglected.

The Junior Walker catalog hasn't just been sadly neglected--it's been totally ignored!

jobeterob
01-11-2014, 09:34 PM
Sadly, I would think Junior isn't one of the sellers. Too bad for the fans.

Roger Polhill
01-11-2014, 09:40 PM
I guess we must add fellow Soul artists Gladys Knight and the Pips, Originals and Fantastic Four too N.B.S

vgalindo
01-11-2014, 10:13 PM
I guess we must add fellow Soul artists Gladys Knight and the Pips, Originals and Fantastic Four too N.B.S
Gladys knight and the Pips recently have had most of their Columbia and Buddha albums released in an expanded editions from Funkytown Grooves. They are nice but nothing compared to the work of the expanded editions from Hippo Select.

Roger Polhill
01-11-2014, 10:20 PM
I only collect Motown 1959 - 71 vgalindo so I wasn`t aware of the Columbia and Buddha releases.

carole cucumber
01-13-2014, 12:41 PM
you're perfectly right, Carole, I hadn't noticed those [[and they probably got a mention somewhere on SDF!) ... but this seems to be the first time UMG have used the label for 1960s Motown material.

And they are CDs, giving hope to those [[like me) who prefer the shiny little biscuits with their booklets and high quality sound to digital downloads.

Keith,

I just came upon this:

http://christianmusicmakers.com/2013/04/02/announcing-a-new-label-called-motown-gospel/

marybrewster
01-13-2014, 01:08 PM
I'm still crossing my Press-Ons that "Funny Girl" gets a physical release.

It perhaps is the one request that has dominated the message board for YEARS. A simple search on SDF alone brings up dozens of threads.

I clearly am behind the times, but I have never purchased a song via Amazon or I-Tunes. I do not own an MP3 player or an I-Pad.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the artists of today; like Taylor Swift, Beyonce', One Direction, Bieber, Miley and Gaga probably do a HUGE business via digital download. But look at the audience they are catering to. I think it's a huge misstep to try and release a "seasoned" artist, or perhaps more importantly, a "botique" release such as an Expanded Edition. Look at the audience that's purchasing those. It's certainly not the "teeny boppers". More like the "old teenagers".

That's just my two cents.

vgalindo
01-13-2014, 01:19 PM

It perhaps is the one request that has dominated the message board for YEARS. A simple search on SDF alone brings up dozens of threads.

I clearly am behind the times, but I have never purchased a song via Amazon or I-Tunes. I do not own an MP3 player or an I-Pad.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the artists of today; like Taylor Swift, Beyonce', One Direction, Bieber, Miley and Gaga probably do a HUGE business via digital download. But look at the audience they are catering to. I think it's a huge misstep to try and release a "seasoned" artist, or perhaps more importantly, a "botique" release such as an Expanded Edition. Look at the audience that's purchasing those. It's certainly not the "teeny boppers". More like the "old teenagers"

I agree with you 100 %... I also do not download digital music. Never have and never cared to. A few years ago Almighty released the We love Diana Ross mixes. I never did download this album. If it were a physical CD there would have been no way I would have not bought a copy. I own every Diana Ross and every Supremes album ever released.

calvin
02-03-2014, 05:11 PM
Did anyone who wrote to classic.motown@umusic.com get a response? I didn't.

blueskies
02-03-2014, 05:53 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I think the artists of today; like Taylor Swift, Beyonce', One Direction, Bieber, Miley and Gaga probably do a HUGE business via digital download. But look at the audience they are catering to. I think it's a huge misstep to try and release a "seasoned" artist, or perhaps more importantly, a "botique" release such as an Expanded Edition. Look at the audience that's purchasing those. It's certainly not the "teeny boppers". More like the "old teenagers".

Those my two cents, also. Only interested in the physical CD. Ok...I'm out of the loop and fast approaching the bedside commode community...and that's the way it is.

westgrandboulevard
02-03-2014, 06:01 PM
My feelings, too.

A download, instead of a CD, is the equivalent of possessing an abbreviated, hurriedly composed email, instead of a handwritten letter from a loved one.

tamla617
02-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Good one Westgrand!

sophisticated_soul
02-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Good one Westgrand!

Ditto:) _

ejluther
02-03-2014, 07:11 PM
A few years ago Almighty released the We love Diana Ross mixes. I never did download this album. If it were a physical CD there would have been no way I would have not bought a copy. I own every Diana Ross and every Supremes album ever released.
That's too bad you're missing them on principle - there are some fun tracks on it. And while I absolutely understand and appreciate the love of the physical product, one can easily burn downloaded tracks onto a CD that's playable in any CD player. And digital music as a format is making audio quality progress that is leaps and bounds beyond what CD "redbook [[http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Red_Book_[[audio_CD_standard).html)" quality can offer listeners. I've gotten to the point where I don't mind good/high-quality digital downloads as long as there's artwork/deluxe options available but to each his/her own...

RossHolloway
02-03-2014, 07:12 PM
Well I prefer a physical cd to a download, but I'm also a realist. Just look at the current trends in the music industry, just last month when Beyonce released her album/cd, she first did it on iTunes, and a physical cd was not released until the following week or so. But by the time the physical cd was released she had already sold over 800,000 downloads- which is an incredible number. It's not the amout of cds that were shipped to retailers, but over 800,000 copies actually SOLD. Sure fans have the option of downloads or hard copies, but the future of the industry is thru downloads. When push comes to shove- would you rather have an album via download or no release at all?

tamla617
02-03-2014, 07:25 PM
I understand what you're saying Ross but Beyoncé is followed by a majority [[ I do mean majority) of people that never had or bother now with buying a physical copy or its "the everyone wants to be first" attitude. If it was a case of "would I rather have it via download or not at all"......I'll cross that one if it happens. I'm not going for the 1963 un released download. That should be a future cellarfull release, for me anyway. its all about copywrite protection and cock all to do with fans. So no history or interesting notes on each track.

RossHolloway
02-03-2014, 07:43 PM
I understand what you're saying Ross but Beyoncé is followed by a majority [[ I do mean majority) of people that never had or bother now with buying a physical copy or its "the everyone wants to be first" attitude. If it was a case of "would I rather have it via download or not at all"......I'll cross that one if it happens. I'm not going for the 1963 un released download. That should be a future cellarfull release, for me anyway. its all about copywrite protection and cock all to do with fans. So no history or interesting notes on each track.

That's too bad, you're missing out on some really great music by missing this download. Did you purchase any of the 1962 Unreleases?

Jimi LaLumia
02-03-2014, 08:48 PM
once you download an album you can 'burn' it onto a high quality blank CD.. so you're missing the book, etc but can still have a 'hard' copy..

jillfoster
02-03-2014, 08:48 PM
I'm sure Universal knows the numbers.

I've always feared that the numbers are not that great which is why there has always been the "stops and starts". It is probably a challenge to get them out. And the pricier the package, the weaker the sales.

I'd prefer the physical package. If it gets reduced to "digital", I hope that we can still have a booklet, even if we have to print it to read it. I'd be happy with that.

I think Baby It's Me is a "must have" and I would take it over anything else.

Rob, it's all just corporate greed and bullshit at work. Companies don't take PRIDE in their line of products anymore, they just want to churn out what makes the most volume, and rakes in the most money in the shortest amount of time. It doesn't mean something doesn't sell, or doesn't have demand, they just want HUGE demand, hence record labels not wanting to mess with an artist anymore if they only sell 50,000 albums. This is like a cancer spreading all over corporate america. In 2008 KRAFT disconintued Postum [[A coffee substitute) which had been on the market for 110 years, yes you read that right, 110 YEARS! IT wasn't worth their time because it sold a MERE 3 million units per year. And this was from a proudct that had not been advertized AT ALL since 1965. So this gives you an idea of the mindset we are dealing with.

bradsupremes
02-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Rob, it's all just corporate greed and bullshit at work. Companies don't take PRIDE in their line of products anymore, they just want to churn out what makes the most volume, and rakes in the most money in the shortest amount of time. It doesn't mean something doesn't sell, or doesn't have demand, they just want HUGE demand, hence record labels not wanting to mess with an artist anymore if they only sell 50,000 albums. This is like a cancer spreading all over corporate america. In 2008 KRAFT disconintued Postum [[A coffee substitute) which had been on the market for 110 years, yes you read that right, 110 YEARS! IT wasn't worth their time because it sold a MERE 3 million units per year. And this was from a proudct that had not been advertized AT ALL since 1965. So this gives you an idea of the mindset we are dealing with.

Spot on, jillfoster!

Lulu
02-03-2014, 10:34 PM
After the David Ruffin sets sold out in CD form, I went ahead and ordered the digital versions from iTunes. I did miss having liner notes but when the Mary Wells L&F and Jackson 5 "Rare Pearls" came out, I decided to buy them digitally as they now included digital versions of the liner notes. I guess this is somewhat of a compromise?!?

soulster
02-03-2014, 11:34 PM

Most music sales of all music types are through downloads now. That is a fact.

soulster
02-03-2014, 11:44 PM
And digital music as a format is making audio quality progress that is leaps and bounds beyond what CD "redbook [[http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Red_Book_[[audio_CD_standard).html)" quality can offer listeners. Hi-rez, the format i've been advocating around this forum, but gets almost no enthusiasm, is the option. But, it's been around for years already. I just bought the entire Chic catalog in 24-bit/96kHz from HD Tracks before they yanked it off the site, probably for accidentally pricing it all for $16.98! So, I got the entire Atlantic/Warner Brothers collection with sound that is the equivalent of the studio master tapes for just over $2 a piece! Woo-hoo! I was going to post the info here but it got pulled right when I started to do so. So, now, all you get is the mp3 version.

I archived the hi-rez versions, sample-rate converted and dithered the copies to redbook [[CD), and then made mp3 copies of those. I also embedded the artwork into the files and saves everything to six different hard drives and servers. This is what I do for all lossless downloads, CD rips, and vinyl record digital transfers.

I know you Luddites don't know about any of that, but a couple of you here will care what can be done today, rather than just buying a squashed CD.

ejluther
02-04-2014, 12:56 AM
Well, I'm with you on Hi-rez audio, soulster, and have amassed quite a collection of it myself. I burn a lot of it onto DVDs so I can keep the 24-bit/96kHz quality and still put it on discs. I use a program called HD-Audio Solo Ultra to do that. My CD/DVD player will also play the DVD-Audio format [[as opposed to just "regular" DVD-Video format) and the program will burn either type of DVD so that's a nice option [[I understand DVD-Audio is the better choice). And good on you for the excellent deal!

PS: Here's the link to the maker of the program I mentioned
www.cirlinca.com [[http://www.cirlinca.com/)

tamla617
02-04-2014, 05:20 PM
That's too bad, you're missing out on some really great music by missing this download. Did you purchase any of the 1962 Unreleases?

No. I didn't know about the 62 until the 63 one was "released" ! I'd still want the info on these tracks. That's the way [[Uh Uh) I want them. Especially on the un released where there isn't any knowledge of them. The only clue is in the title, end of. what a way to keep the history alive.

honest man
02-05-2014, 06:54 AM
No. I didn't know about the 62 until the 63 one was "released" ! I'd still want the info on these tracks. That's the way [[Uh Uh) I want them. Especially on the un released where there isn't any knowledge of them. The only clue is in the title, end of. what a way to keep the history alive.

Tamla a little lifeline if you go on CLASSIC MOTOWN SITE and click on 1962 releases you will get writing credits,not the best i know but it's some info , 1963 INFO NOT UP YET ......cheers.

tamla617
02-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Thanks honest man!

honest man
03-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Any news on releases,please.

markdtiller
03-12-2014, 05:05 PM
once you download an album you can 'burn' it onto a high quality blank CD.. so you're missing the book, etc but can still have a 'hard' copy..

Plus on itunes you can do your own front cover art work

lakedistrictlad1
03-13-2014, 10:55 AM
Most music sales of all music types are through downloads now. That is a fact.

it's not a fact Soulster. It's just what most people image things to be.

In 2013 digital downloads accounted for 40% and cd's accounted for 57%, with the rest made of of vinyl and cassettes in the U.S

In the U.K cd's made up two thirds of music sales in 2013.

So the cd aint dead yet.

thisoldheart
03-13-2014, 01:16 PM
it's not a fact Soulster. It's just what most people image things to be.

In 2013 digital downloads accounted for 40% and cd's accounted for 57%, with the rest made of of vinyl and cassettes in the U.S

In the U.K cd's made up two thirds of music sales in 2013.

So the cd aint dead yet.
not that i don't believe you, but where are these figures from?

RossHolloway
03-13-2014, 01:35 PM
I would imagine that all song singles [[ie 45's) are all digital.

longtimefan
03-13-2014, 02:18 PM
not that i don't believe you, but where are these figures from?

This oldheart: Billboard reports that in 2013 "vinyl is now 2% of album sales in the U.S; digital albums comprise 40.6%; and the CD is 57.2% and cassettes and DVDs 0.2%."

soulster
03-13-2014, 03:44 PM
This oldheart: Billboard reports that in 2013 "vinyl is now 2% of album sales in the U.S; digital albums comprise 40.6%; and the CD is 57.2% and cassettes and DVDs 0.2%."
Thank you. I was misinformed. The stats I read either got switch for CDs vs. downloads, or I got them reversed.

calvin
03-13-2014, 04:09 PM
Thank you. I was misinformed. The stats I read either got switch for CDs vs. downloads, or I got them reversed.

You are both right, in different ways. Most music sales in the US are downloads, but many of these sales are just people downloading their favorite songs, not whole albums.

When it comes to sales of entire albums, cds have mostly exceeded download sales. You might hear the opposite because someone devised a "track equivalent album", which counts every 10 individual songs downloaded as an album [[even if it's the same hit song downloaded 10 times), and sales of downloaded albums plus TEA downloads have exceeded cds since 2011.

However, in the first weeks of this year, sales of entire album downloads [[not including TEAs) did exceed cd sales in the US, though only barely.

In any case, the cd is far from dead, especially for people who want to buy entire albums and not just their favorite song or two.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/digital-and-mobile/5901188/cd-album-sales-fall-behind-album-downloads-is-2014-the

jobeterob
03-13-2014, 11:03 PM
CD Album Sales Fall Behind Album Downloads, Is 2014 The Year Digital Takes Over?
News /

By Keith Caulfield, Los Angeles | February 11, 2014 9:30 AM EST

CD Album Sales Fall Behind Album Downloads, Is 2014 The Year Digital Takes Over?

For the third time this year -- and only the fourth time ever -- the year-to-date total sales of digital albums have exceeded those of CDs.

Related Articles

The Year in Music 2013: Digital - The Download Hits Middle Age

Business Matters: New Report Predicts Digital-Vs.-Physical Tipping Point That Already Happened

Digital Revenue Outstrips Physical in U.K. For First Time

According to Nielsen SoundScan, so far in 2014 through the week ending Feb. 2, a total of 22.99 million albums have been sold. Of that total, 11.18 million were downloads while another 11.10 million were CDs. [[An additional 710,000 were vinyl LPs and other physical configurations, like cassettes.)

Year-to-date sales of albums on CD have only trailed downloads in three earlier times -- and two of those were this year. Before 2014, it happened in just the first week of 2013 [[week ending Jan. 6).

While it may seem counterintuitive to some, digital albums have yet to consistently surpass physical album sales. Up until now, only when track equivalent album [[TEA) sales, whereby 10 songs equal one album, are factored in do digital album sales surpass CDs. Digital albums plus TEA first surpassed physical albums in 2011 when physical albums accounted for 49.7% of albums while digital albums plus TEA accounted for 50.3%. The market has yet to have a year where digital album sales without TEA surpassed those of CDs, but 2014 might be the year where it finally happens.

The divide between the two configurations has grown closer in recent years. Last year, CDs represented 57.2% of the album market, while downloads were 40.6%. In 2012, CDs were 61.2% of the pie, while in 2011, they were 67.6%. So far in 2014, CDs are 48.3% of all album sales, as compared to its 50.3% share of the market at the same a year ago.

Worth noting: when vinyl, cassettes and DVD albums are added in, physical albums account for 51.38% thus far in 2014 versus digital's 48.62%. Vinyl itself is nearly 3% of all album sales so far this year.

Additional reporting by Ed Christman.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting Calvin.

soulster
03-14-2014, 03:20 AM
The physical media fans will resist.

alanh
03-14-2014, 01:53 PM
In the UK the Entertainment Retailer's Association says that in 2013 the drop in physical album sales by value was less than half the decline in 2012. Physical accounted for 69.8% of the album market. It says "The [[music) industry is so keen to embrace a digital future that it is in danger of neglecting a format which still accounts for two thirds of the albums market". In 2013 downloading of digital individual tracks actually dropped by 1.7% and digital albums grew by less than 2012, up 7.6% compared t0 19.3%. Streaming accounts for 10% of the market.

So all is not lost for the CD quite yet!

jobeterob
03-14-2014, 02:14 PM
It's too bad we don't have many stores to buy them from anymore.

marybrewster
03-17-2014, 11:17 AM
For years, Supremes fans have been known to "share" rare tracks and bootlegs. Like [[probably) many on SDF, I have CD's filled with material. Because these were never released formally, I've never minded a CDR copy.

As some of these bootlegs have been released, I have ALWAYS bought the physical copy, I love the artwork and the liner notes and, simply, just having a "real" physical copy. I think many others likely do the same.

If we move into a "digital age" with some of these releases, such as "Funny Girl", what's stopping the fans from doing the same as we've done in the past? If there's no liner notes, no essays or pictures or artwork; no physical release to ever buy, what difference does it make if one fan buys it, and then shares with everyone else?

If everyone split the cost, so, 10 fans spend $4.00 each collectively to download a $40.00 album to share, aren't the record companies still losing out? Potentailly losing out even more?

Because I guarantee, this WILL happen.

Jimi LaLumia
03-17-2014, 11:29 AM
they don't care..they're much more interested in streaming these days, Spotify, Beats music, etc.. you don't own ANYTHING... you just stream..

ejluther
03-17-2014, 01:01 PM
You're right, Jimi - the streaming model is how media corporations will control/monetize all their product in the future; the physical/digital copy you actually own will always hang around but become more and more rare in the coming years/decades...

Jimi LaLumia
03-17-2014, 01:48 PM
in fact, Mary Wilson's new release could be streaming right now if she wants it to, she does not have to be 'picked up' by a label for that to happen.. that is how things are working for myself and ChromeOrange at the moment..no problem whatsoever, if I can do it, surely Ms. Wilson can..

jobeterob
03-17-2014, 02:36 PM
If she or her management are digital savvy enough, young enough, care enough to do it. They may be quite happy doing the various gigs she gets, the retirement homes, the schools, the oldies concerts she is a part of and the other concerts she appears at. At 70, the fact she works is remarkable.

honest man
03-17-2014, 04:11 PM
Edwin Starr,JJ Barnes,Blinky,Ivy Jo hunter,Fantastic 4, Anthologies-Lost And Found .Contours pt2,Spinners pt2 please,Hipo, Ace anyone.please..................................... ...