PDA

View Full Version : Martha and The Vandellas Live!

test

justanothermotownfan
01-03-2014, 11:53 AM
I don't know if this was posted before but I was browsing iTunes today when I noticed this album! It's in stereo format and has been available since August 2013. Other albums such as That Motown Sound and The Earl of Funk are also available outside of the EVD set with original artwork. Amazing there's been no promotion or announcements [[that I've seen anyway). I'm thrilled and I certainly hope more titles will be released in the near future.

calvin
01-03-2014, 12:24 PM
It's on Amazon UK too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Martha-Vandellas-Live-The/dp/B00ELI03DQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&sr=1-1&keywords=martha+and+the+vandellas+live

They list the copyright as "2013 Master Classics."

Was this title ever available on cd?

In case someone from Universal reads this:
The LPs "What Love Has Joined Together" from Smokey Robinson & The Miracles and "Solid Rock" from the Temptations are both available as digital downloads in the US [[on amazon.com for example) but not in the UK. Could you please make them available here?

Yes, I also hope there will be more. Of course I'd prefer cds or lossless downloads but for many titles that's not going to happen.

dba
01-03-2014, 01:44 PM
Thanks for posting but when you search on itunes do not search using Martha Reeves and the Vandellas as it will not come up. Now my live series will be complete [[along with 4 Tops and Temps.)
This is why I love SDF. Best, dba

RossHolloway
01-03-2014, 02:03 PM
So this means that ALL of Martha & The Vandellas albums are available for download on iTunes. Nicely done U/M!

carole cucumber
01-03-2014, 02:07 PM
So this means that ALL of Martha & The Vandellas albums are available for download on iTunes. Nicely done U/M!

The stereo and mono releases of the Live album were from different [[but similar) shows- so most Martha & the Vandellas are available.

BayouMotownMan
01-03-2014, 07:37 PM
How do you search for it on iTunes?

RossHolloway
01-03-2014, 08:10 PM
How do you search for it on iTunes?

Just search "Martha and The Vandellas"

justanothermotownfan
01-03-2014, 08:44 PM
And now time to complain... while this is an outstanding performance and a much long anticipated release in digital format...there's no continuity in the applause between songs. I had the vinyl album many years ago and I don't remember fade outs and fade ins at the ending/beginning of every song on the album. Even other live albums from this period [[Temptations, Four Tops, etc) aren't like this. I hate to say it but it ruins the flow for me. Again, I AM glad to finally have it but it would have been nice if there was some TLC during the mixing process. Just my $.02.

RossHolloway
01-03-2014, 09:07 PM
are you listening for the music or the applause??

justanothermotownfan
01-03-2014, 10:14 PM
LOL! Of course I love the music but I like continuity as well. I guess Hip-O has spoiled me :rolleyes:

kenneth
01-03-2014, 10:17 PM
And now time to complain... while this is an outstanding performance and a much long anticipated release in digital format...there's no continuity in the applause between songs. I had the vinyl album many years ago and I don't remember fade outs and fade ins at the ending/beginning of every song on the album. Even other live albums from this period [[Temptations, Four Tops, etc) aren't like this. I hate to say it but it ruins the flow for me. Again, I AM glad to finally have it but it would have been nice if there was some TLC during the mixing process. Just my $.02.

Isn't that done to accommodate those who purchase individual songs? I've experienced this on other downloads of live material, unlike having an entire album [[or side of an album).

longtimefan
01-03-2014, 11:10 PM
1. When you buy the full "album," do you get the art work, too?

2. Have other previously unreleased Motown LPs appeared this way on iTunes, i.e., as "2013 Master Classics?"

thanxal
01-03-2014, 11:32 PM
1. Not on this release. On some you do, esp. new stuff.
2. Some older and obscure stuff is now ONLY coming out on iTunes. I have found several original Della Reese albums that were never released on CD on iTunes. Its really hit or miss and there is no way to tell how/why iTunes releases and when.

Edit: I just love Martha and the Vandellas. I went back to iTunes and listened to the clips and what a wonderful sound they had. Then I broke out my Mono and Stereo LPs of this. Wow! So great.

justanothermotownfan
01-03-2014, 11:59 PM
Isn't that done to accommodate those who purchase individual songs? I've experienced this on other downloads of live material, unlike having an entire album [[or side of an album).

This is my first time purchasing a live album on iTunes so what you're saying makes sense. I still don't like it though :p

justanothermotownfan
01-04-2014, 12:01 AM
2. Some older and obscure stuff is now ONLY coming out on iTunes. I have found several original Della Reese albums that were never released on CD on iTunes. Its really hit or miss and there is no way to tell how/why iTunes releases and when.

Edit: I just love Martha and the Vandellas. I went back to iTunes and listened to the clips and what a wonderful sound they had. Then I broke out my Mono and Stereo LPs of this. Wow! So great.

What I wouldn't give to hear the mono mix of this...

thanxal
01-04-2014, 12:15 AM
I watched Jerry's Records in Pittsburgh for 8 years to find a copy of Live! in Mono. I've never seen either the mono or stereo version on CD.

antceleb12
01-04-2014, 12:36 AM

Actually, I bought the LP a few weeks ago and it has the fades, as well. Drives me nuts!

Either way, it's a fantastic album! If I'm not mistaken, it's essentially the same act, give or take, that they did at the Copa.

longtimefan
01-04-2014, 12:54 AM

Are the mono and stereo LPs two versions of the same show?

longtimefan
01-04-2014, 01:00 AM
LOL! Of course I love the music but I like continuity as well. I guess Hip-O has spoiled me :rolleyes:

This mention of HipO causes me to think: I wonder if releasing material on iTunes [[full albums, alternate tracks, etc.) is the business model that Motown will now be using, thus making Motown/HipO Select a thing of the past? I pray not, but the 2013 HipO release schedule dwindled down dramatically. And, as stated on this forum previously, Harry/Andy/George have all but disappeared. Of course, I understand that they are employees, but their "absence" is not encouraging for fans of HipO Select. Boo, hoo.

reese
01-04-2014, 02:54 AM
Are the mono and stereo LPs two versions of the same show?

Yes. The set list is the same on both mono and stereo versions.

On Side 1, with the exception of I'M READY FOR LOVE, all of the songs differ in their mono and stereo versions.

On Side 2, to my ears, all of the performances are the same, but others have said otherwise.

lakedistrictlad1
01-04-2014, 05:56 AM
I'm hoping the fact that both the mono and stereo versions have been made available to download means that we may see a proper live release by Hip-O sometime soon. Until downloads are available lossless quality - and there is no reason why they couldn't be - with full artwork, I will stick to my silver discs.

westgrandboulevard
01-04-2014, 07:07 AM
Me too!!!!!

Calv1971
01-04-2014, 07:35 AM
Yes. The set list is the same on both mono and stereo versions.

On Side 1, with the exception of I'M READY FOR LOVE, all of the songs differ in their mono and stereo versions.

On Side 2, to my ears, all of the performances are the same, but others have said otherwise.

Once l managed to get a mono copy, l played them one after the other, l remember that the introduction to "Love bug leave my heart alone" was slightly different on each version.

calvin
01-04-2014, 09:31 AM
I'm hoping the fact that both the mono and stereo versions have been made available to download means that we may see a proper live release by Hip-O sometime soon. Until downloads are available lossless quality - and there is no reason why they couldn't be - with full artwork, I will stick to my silver discs.

I would guess the opposite - that it's been made available as a download because there are no plans to release it on cd, expanded or otherwise. It probably wouldn't sell well enough to justify a cd release.

I also wish that buyers would be given the option of cd-quality lossless downloads, with full artwork. This could easily be done but so far the major distributors apparently don't think it's worth their effort. As it is, I only buy downloads when there's no cd available and the title is a "must have" for me. If lossless downloads are not made available as a substitute when cds are discontinued, I'll buy some but few new releases.

Most of Motown's live recordings never did that much for me, to be honest, so I don't consider this a "must have". I've bought all the live Hip-O releases but, with the exception of "The Earl of Funk", I've probably played them only once. So I'm going to pass on this one.

But there are some titles I would buy even as lossy downloads, for example the studio recordings which have never appeared on cd by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, Jr Walker & The All Stars, and The Originals, to name a few. So I'll be glad if Universal makes more titles available as downloads, as I doubt that we'll ever see these released on cd.

thanxal
02-01-2015, 08:15 PM
I just found the Mono version of "Live!" at Jerry's Records after 9 years of looking and indeed side 1 of the mono is different from side 1 of the Stereo. The spoken transitions are different as are the songs. Nowhere to Run is significantly different.

Side 2 is very close on both the Mono and Stereo. I have to listen again with headphones to tell if there is a difference.

supremester
02-01-2015, 08:38 PM
I've always wanted to hear it. I've read terrible things about their Live LP but I always enjoyed it and have been craving the alternate takes on Mono. I once had a long talk with Gil Askey about M&TV - he had been doing a lot of charts for a lot of acts - but not much for Martha. Berry saw Martha's show in late '67 and hated it and sent Gil to the rescue. Gil re-did the show and arrangements - changed out some songs, etc and found Martha "not without her opinions." Berry had a lot of respect and hope for Martha and was frustrated that she wasn't bigger - compared to Gladys, for example. After Gil changed Martha's show, he informed Gordy it was much better and he split town. Shortly after, Gordy showed up unannounced at a M&TV show - I think at The Latin Quarter - and they had reverted to the old show. Gordy was furious and he and Martha had a huge fight.

thanxal
02-02-2015, 06:57 AM
I've always wanted to hear it. I've read terrible things about their Live LP but I always enjoyed it and have been craving the alternate takes on Mono. I once had a long talk with Gil Askey about M&TV - he had been doing a lot of charts for a lot of acts - but not much for Martha. Berry saw Martha's show in late '67 and hated it and sent Gil to the rescue. Gil re-did the show and arrangements - changed out some songs, etc and found Martha "not without her opinions." Berry had a lot of respect and hope for Martha and was frustrated that she wasn't bigger - compared to Gladys, for example. After Gil changed Martha's show, he informed Gordy it was much better and he split town. Shortly after, Gordy showed up unannounced at a M&TV show - I think at The Latin Quarter - and they had reverted to the old show. Gordy was furious and he and Martha had a huge fight.
Is the LP the Gil Askey show or the one Gordy hated?

supremester
02-02-2015, 04:45 PM
That's a good question - this was not addressed, but I'm certain this is not Gil's show as it was later in the 60's. This may have been the one Gordy hated.

motony
02-02-2015, 05:21 PM
never heard that Mr. Gordy didn't like Marthas' show.I always enjoyed the LIVE LP.Martha & the Vandellas were always known as being one of the best LIVE acts in the 60's.

supremester
02-02-2015, 06:03 PM
I've always liked the album also, but, I guess some don't as I've read pretty bad comments about it. The reason Gordy hated Martha's show was that he was frustrated with her progress and didn't feel she was living up to her potential - and they did argue a lot. Gil told me that after Martha recovered from her issue, Gordy tried hard to get her back on track. I don't know how bad Martha's show could be as she was headlining at The Apollo, Latin Quarter and Copa - the act was popular live in some markets - although I'm pretty sure The Copa was Gil's show. Now that I know how dismal M&TV's album sales were, I can see his frustration as he revered Martha's talent. Gladys was outselling her album wise from the getgo.