PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross #6 on New year's Rocking Eve Top 30 Women Countdown

test

Jimi LaLumia
01-01-2014, 08:41 PM
last night on "Dick Clark's New Year's Rocking Eve with Ryan Seacrest" on ABC TV from Times Square, Diana Ross showed up at #6 on the 2 hour "30 Greatest Women In Music" Countdown[[8 PM-10 PM, waiting for the countdownh to the New Year), right alongside Whitney, Beyonce, Aretha, at the top of the list,, the only other Motown related act was Gladys Knight,who showed up somewhere in the teens... they used the clip of "Stop In The Name Of Love" from the ski lodge in 1965, and basically told millions of viewers what they already knew.. that Diana Ross IS The Supremes...tee hee.. Happy New Year, y'all!!!

kenneth
01-01-2014, 08:46 PM
Ah Jimi, Jimi...must you start off the New Year with a remark that is almost certain to start a flame war? Shame on you...oh well...Happy New Year anyway!

Jimi LaLumia
01-01-2014, 08:53 PM
that's what they get for the "Diana Opens for Mariah" nonsense.. at least MINE is TRUE!!

smark21
01-01-2014, 08:55 PM
Some Diana Ross fans on Facebook are very upset she only came in 6th place.

Jimi LaLumia
01-01-2014, 09:08 PM
including ME!!.. she should have been up top, but they gave that spot to Whitney! [[whose career was based on Michael Masser songs original intended for Ross!)

kenneth
01-01-2014, 09:28 PM
including ME!!.. she should have been up top, but they gave that spot to Whitney! [[whose career was based on Michael Masser songs original intended for Ross!)

I didn't know that. Why did Masser stop writing for Ross? That is my favorite period of her career; I love the expanded version of the "To Love Again" LP which has most of the Masser material on it.

Jimi LaLumia
01-01-2014, 09:49 PM
it's been written about by Taraborreli, etc.. there was some sort of falling out after "It's My Turn" etc and then, of course, she was off to RCA by 1980/1981..

jobeterob
01-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Gladys Knight was 17. Some other 60's singer was 18.

To start another war, I read that Dusty Springfield came on to Ann Murray, who she hoped or thought was gay. Ann turned Dusty down and Dusty gave Ann's husband some fingernails over it.

I knew Whitney was 1; didn't know any of the others. Good list by the sound of it.

Does Marv know where any of the other Supremes were on the list?

kenneth
01-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Does Marv know where any of the other Supremes were on the list?

Now, jobeterob, that was really unnecessary!!!

skooldem1
01-01-2014, 10:09 PM
Michael Masser wrote "In your arms" which was featured on Diana's "Silk Electric" album for RCA. It was later covered by Whitney and Teddy.

Jimi LaLumia
01-01-2014, 10:15 PM
there was some 'wall' that came down between Masser and Ross...and Whitney made out on THAT situation, big time!!

kenneth
01-01-2014, 10:36 PM
there was some 'wall' that came down between Masser and Ross...and Whitney made out on THAT situation, big time!!

Whitney's voice never moved me. Technically she was superb, but she belted out every note the same way. I never thought there was much feeling in how she sang. I did like her version of "The Greatest Love of All," however, which is a really great song. Shirley Bassey, to me, does it better though.

Roberta75
01-01-2014, 11:08 PM
that's what they get for the "Diana Opens for Mariah" nonsense.. at least MINE is TRUE!!

What age are you dearie? twelve or 14? You acting like a real bi**hy schoolgirl.

smark21
01-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Whitney Houston had an excellent voice and great skills, but Clive Davis gave her awful material--so much mawkish, syrupy, faux inspirational songs, such as Greatest Love of All. He really did waste her talent just to make lots of money, but that's show biz.

Jimi LaLumia
01-02-2014, 09:57 AM
and I STILL have my pig tails!!!..OINK! OINK!

jobeterob
01-02-2014, 12:44 PM
On that kind of show, a relatively recent death is a factor getting you to the top. Whitney Houston is a good choice.

One of our friends who grew up in the 80's commented that he didn't understand how Aretha Franklin or Beyoncé would be ranked higher than Diana Ross. I told him on many of these shows, Aretha Franklin is a popular critical choice.

supremester
01-02-2014, 12:56 PM
Well, some may call me a fan of Miss Ross, but I must point out that going to RCA did not prevent Miss Ross from working with Michael "100 takes" Masser - but I think his earned nickname did. I have a friend who is his friend and said Masser is SO OCD that one night he took him to his house to hear something he'd been mixing for a week straight. It was Greatest Love Of All and it had just fallen from #1 and Masser was STILL mixing it [[it sounded the same to my friend.) He said Whitney had enough of Masser. Personally, I'm on Masser's side. I prefer his mixes of both Mahogany & Touch Me In The Morning, and It's My Turn is special to me.

marybrewster
01-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Lists like this are so pointless. There's someone always forgotten or an odd inclusion. With that said, any time there is "Top" or "Greatest" list of women in music, rest assured Diana will be [[or should be) included.

Here is the complete list:

1. Whitney Houston
2. Tina Turner
3. Aretha Franklin
4. Beyoncé
5. Madonna
6. Diana Ross
7. Annie Lennox
8. Mariah Carey
9. Taylor Swift
10. Blondie
11. Janet Jackson
12. Christina Aguilera
13. Dolly Parton
14. Rihanna
15. Alicia Keys
16. Donna Summer
17. Gladys Knight
18. Pink
19. Cyndi Lauper
20. Katy Perry
21. Gloria Estefan
22. Adele
23. Cher
24. Shania Twain
25. Pat Benatar
26. Lady Gaga
27. Chaka Khan
28. Celine Dion
29. Gwen Stefani
30. Karen Carpenter

Just a few thoughts:

How pleasant to see Karen Carpenter included.

No Barbra Streisand?

I wonder if this is based on sales? I see Taylor Swift included, but I question where someone like Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood belongs in this list.

Blondie? I assume they mean Deborah Harry as no other "groups" were included. Speaking of groups, TLC certainly deserves a mention. And if TLC derves a mention, so do the Supremes.....

Roberta75
01-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Lists like this are so pointless. There's someone always forgotten or an odd inclusion. With that said, any time there is "Top" or "Greatest" list of women in music, rest assured Diana will be [[or should be) included.

Here is the complete list:

1. Whitney Houston
2. Tina Turner
3. Aretha Franklin
4. Beyoncé
5. Madonna
6. Diana Ross
7. Annie Lennox
8. Mariah Carey
9. Taylor Swift
10. Blondie
11. Janet Jackson
12. Christina Aguilera
13. Dolly Parton
14. Rihanna
15. Alicia Keys
16. Donna Summer
17. Gladys Knight
18. Pink
19. Cyndi Lauper
20. Katy Perry
21. Gloria Estefan
22. Adele
23. Cher
24. Shania Twain
25. Pat Benatar
26. Lady Gaga
27. Chaka Khan
28. Celine Dion
29. Gwen Stefani
30. Karen Carpenter

Just a few thoughts:

How pleasant to see Karen Carpenter included.

No Barbra Streisand?

I wonder if this is based on sales? I see Taylor Swift included, but I question where someone like Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood belongs in this list.

Blondie? I assume they mean Deborah Harry as no other "groups" were included. Speaking of groups, TLC certainly deserves a mention. And if TLC derves a mention, so do the Supremes.....

And Dr Martha Reeves was left of this list which is a real bad oversight imo.

Roberta

jobeterob
01-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Not a bad list if you are making a list; there is some objective basis for this kind of list; Aretha Franklin's sales would be significantly smaller than those artists around her.

For me Gladys Knight is a little bit low and Karen Carpenter is way too low.

captainjames
01-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Glad that Diana made the Top 10.

kenneth
01-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Not a bad list if you are making a list; there is some objective basis for this kind of list; Aretha Franklin's sales would be significantly smaller than those artists around her.

For me Gladys Knight is a little bit low and Karen Carpenter is way too low.

I agree about Karen Carpenter, but based on the fact that her years in the pop world were few [[I think 10 years at the most) and quite some time ago, I am very pleased that she made the list at all. So many great singers get forgotten somehow for more recent personalities with far less talent, just because they're more current in people's memories.

jobeterob
01-02-2014, 08:32 PM
Agree with Kenneth.

vgalindo
01-03-2014, 01:07 AM
I like Blondie or Deborah Harry but I feel she does not belong in the top ten. Not a head of Gladys knight, Donna Summer, Cher, Etc. I only remember a couple of her songs which I really like but that's about it.

thisoldheart
01-03-2014, 07:39 AM
debbie harry can sing & write & has been in the biz for over 30 year. she is severely underrated as a singer.

donna summer is a bore, but was always well produced by georgio morodor.

cher can sing anything, but she has dabbled in too much very poorly written material.

gladys knight was best with the pips at motown. those were her glory years.

what a sad list ... no dionne warwick? no dusty springfield.

aretha needed to be at the top of the list. dang, i hate these lists!