PDA

View Full Version : Imitation of Life Nominated Actress Juanita Moore Has Passed, she was 99

test

rod_rick
01-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Oscar nominated actress Juanita Moore passed of natural causes late last night at the age of 99. Ms Moore was nominated for best supporting actress for her role in 1950's classic "Imitation Of Life" starring Lana Turner.

smark21
01-01-2014, 05:31 PM
Here's the obit from Variety: she was a pioneer and she turned in a heartbreaking performance in Imitation of Life. http://variety.com/2014/film/news/juanita-moore-oscar-nommed-for-imitation-of-life-dies-at-99-1201018950/

reese
01-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Sad to hear. IMITATION OF LIFE is one of my favorite films.

marv2
01-01-2014, 07:47 PM
Wow, I did not know she was still with us. I had not heard anything about Ms. Moore since perhaps the seventies and when she appeared on the Richard Pryor Show here in 1977:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFjnzCbGfdo

Soul Sister
01-02-2014, 12:14 PM
A gifted actress who shared her gift. I enjoyed her in the movies and on television,
She was also one of the actresses that played "Beulah" on the 1950's television show.
But her greatest role will always be the long suffering mother in "Imitation of Life".
May she rest in peace.

S.S.

smark21
01-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Soul Sister, I checked out Juanita Moore's profile on internet movie database and she never played Beulah on TV in the 50s. Louise Beavers played her. Beavers played the same part Moore did in the 1934 version of Imitation of Life. One good Moore guest tv turn was in Adam 12 in which she played a new LA Police Commissioner and spent the episode riding with Malloy and Reed and played a role in calming down a deaf teenager. But she was outstanding in Imitation of Life, especially the scene in the motel room where she hugs Sarah Jane one last time.

Soul Sister
01-03-2014, 02:08 PM
smark, thanks for that. I remember Louise Beavers too. She playing the original part in the Claudette Colbert movie of 1933 would make sense as to why I confused the two for the t.v. role.
I understand Big Maybelle was also up for the Beulah role but was sabbotaged by her handler [[record company owner) who wanted to keep her in his grasp. Not a pretty story either.

S.S.