PDA

View Full Version : Susaye Greene Interview From Blues & Soul ~ She Talks "Supremes" Etc.

test

jobeterob
12-30-2013, 01:39 AM
http://www.bluesandsoul.com/feature/547/susaye_greene_the_last_supreme/

A frank, interesting interview. For Supreme Historians.

milven
12-30-2013, 10:37 AM
That was a great interview. Truthful, and to the point. Susaye states exactly how she feels about her tenure with the Supremes - the good and the bad.

I can understand her disapointment in not being able to use her writing talents for the group, even though it was promised to her when she signed with the group. To be told by Mary that she was not ready to write for the Supremes at the very time that she had a number one record on the charts must have been hard to take.

She also was told that the Supremes needed her because Cindy was being let go [[not leaving, but let go).
What could Cindy have done to have been "let go"? She was a real trooper for the Supremes. She successfully replaced an original. She stepped in twice when Jean was out "sick" [[in Hawaii and at the Copa). She came back when Jean and Lynda left to help Mary keep the group going. And she even came back when Mary left the group but still had Supreme contract obligations. And yet , she was "let go". Ouch.

One can only wonder if the group could have continued past 1977 if they had left Motown, changed their name to something like MSS, left the gowns behind, use Susaye's writing talents and continue as a new entity ala LaBelle.

kenneth
12-30-2013, 11:26 AM
What a great interview! Finally, a writer who knows the subject well enough to ask intelligent questions of one of these industry veterans. I should have expected nothing less from Blues and Soul; their articles are always insightful and interesting.

As to the "Cindy was let go" comment, it sounds like Susaye said it casually, as it was said to her. It may be that the Motown representative wanted to present it that way to make the offer more attractive to Susaye and to downplay and be able to avoid explaining why Cindy might choose to leave. Susaye doesn't dwell much on it, so I tend to think she understands now, if she didn't at the time, that Cindy left voluntarily.

Although I loved the Jean-Mary-Cindy lineup, the Mary-Scherrie-Susaye lineup to me was much more dynamic and forward sounding in terms of their delivery and production. Being quite young at the time, I found their sound much more current than the more traditional Motown sound of the group led by Jean. Susaye sings on both of my two favorite post-Diane Supremes songs, "High Energy" and "Come Into My Life." Once on SDF, I expressed curiosity as to how Scherrie and Susaye shared the lead on "Come Into My Life" [[which to me has a real George Clinton-Parlet type vibe) and the ever gracious Ms. Greene corrected me that the lead was shared by "her and her" alone. Quite a lady.

Thanks for posting! I hadn't seen this one when it came out.

reese
12-30-2013, 12:00 PM
At the time of her second leaving, I remember Cindy saying that she wanted to become an actress. But years later, in her second book, Mary wrote that Cindy was asked to leave the group, as they [[she and Pedro) had become dissatisfied with her performances.

milven
12-30-2013, 12:32 PM
At the time of her second leaving, I remember Cindy saying that she wanted to become an actress. But years later, in her second book, Mary wrote that Cindy was asked to leave the group, as they [[she and Pedro) had become dissatisfied with her performances.
But satisfied enough with her performances to ask her to rescue them after Mary left the Supremes for her solo career even though they still had commitments for the Supremes. Cindy seems to hold no grudges and may be the only Supreme who is friends with all the Supremes

jobeterob
12-30-2013, 02:38 PM
This was posted on Facebook and is getting lots of comment.

marybrewster
12-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Does anyone know how recent this interview is?

The reason I ask is because of this statement by the author: "However, I understand that there maybe plans afoot for 'Partners' to be re-issued - which’d be just great."

As far back as July 2013 we've been discussing "Partners" being reissued. If this writer "understands that there maybe plans afoot" that tells me that this interview is at least that much old.

kenneth
12-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Does anyone know how recent this interview is?

The reason I ask is because of this statement by the author: "However, I understand that there maybe plans afoot for 'Partners' to be re-issued - which’d be just great."

As far back as July 2013 we've been discussing "Partners" being reissued. If this writer "understands that there maybe plans afoot" that tells me that this interview is at least that much old.

It seems to be the most current issue, but I couldn't find a date on it anywhere.

jobeterob
12-30-2013, 04:46 PM
It seems to be the most current issue, but I couldn't find a date on it anywhere.

She posted it on Facebook yesterday and it seems to be talking about Grammy nominations for this year.

It is catching a lot of attention from fans because it is candid and frank and shows what was going wrong with the Supremes in 1976/77.

reese
12-30-2013, 04:58 PM
I thought that I had read this interview before. It's at least three years old.

http://faac.us/adf/messages/2/211759.html

Roberta75
12-30-2013, 05:11 PM

This interview just prove once again what a classy lady miss Susaye Greene is and it prove once again what a classy lady Miss Cindy birdsong is and it really prove once again that Pedro ferrer had no class whatsoever of course any man who beat his wife to a pulp is trash imo.

Roberta

captainjames
12-30-2013, 08:04 PM
Not to dwell on the past but NO Supreme should have been asked to leave Flo or Cindy.

jobeterob
12-30-2013, 08:32 PM
Not to dwell on the past but NO Supreme should have been asked to leave Flo or Cindy.

Only if they were damaging the brand and by 1976 if Pedro and Mary had seen the light, Susaye might have given the Supremes that new burst of energy they needed to become a hit again. Unfortunately another lost opportunity.

midnightman
12-30-2013, 08:34 PM
This interview is old. It was first issued in June 2010. If you read the beginning, it says "first anniversary of MJ's death".

smark21
12-30-2013, 08:38 PM
Didn't Cindy mention in the liner notes of the Let Yourself Go box set that she left the group because she was burned out from being a Supreme? It would certainly support what Mary mentioned in Supreme Faith that there were nights when Cindy was totally there on stage and other nights when she was going through the motions. That just happens for whatever job situation.

rod_rick
12-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Didn't Cindy mention in the liner notes of the Let Yourself Go box set that she left the group because she was burned out from being a Supreme? It would certainly support what Mary mentioned in Supreme Faith that there were nights when Cindy was totally there on stage and other nights when she was going through the motions. That just happens for whatever job situation.

Not surprised about Cindy she was having personal issues with her marriage [[divorce) around this time late 1975 so I'm sure her work was affected. I think it;s been stated that Cindy told Scherrie she was let go and didn't like it because they had become best friends. To Cindy's credit she has always supported the ladies in the Supremes and only had good things to say. I've never read a negative quote from Cindy regarding any of the ladies.
Btw has Susaye ever been to any of Mary's or Diana's performances?

marv2
12-31-2013, 12:51 AM
Yes this article is old and has been posted here before. Nothing new here.....yawn.

detmotownguy
12-31-2013, 01:38 AM
I don't think there is much bad blood between Mary and Susaye. Mary said a while back that they send "jokes " back and forth via email.

jobeterob
12-31-2013, 10:51 AM
Yes this article is old and has been posted here before. Nothing new here.....yawn.

Susaye Greene is never a yawn.

Roberta75
12-31-2013, 11:41 AM
Susaye Greene is never a yawn.

Yet marv2 never yawn when his bff Luke posts some old RTL related link. lol

Roberta

marybrewster
12-31-2013, 01:21 PM
This interview is old. It was first issued in June 2010. If you read the beginning, it says "first anniversary of MJ's death".

Thank you, MM. I thought I had seen this before.

I can't speak for either, but from what I've seen, I think both Mary and Susaye have "softened" towards each other in recent years. Truth be told, what ever is their business is simply that, their business.