PDA

View Full Version : Remembering MGM Leading Ladies...

test

nomis
10-31-2010, 10:20 PM
I watched Lana Turner in "The Postman Always Rings Twice" last night,She was radiant on screen,The camera just loved her..it got me thinking about the leading ladies of MGM who did you like? I tried to get into "Grand Hotel" again Crawford and Garbo where radiant but the story dosent hold up that much..I loved Jean Harlow I thought she was a very funny lady..But my favourite will always be Joan Crawford something about the shop girl who makes good appeals to me..would love to hear what MGM actress's you guys liked..they dont make them like that anymore thats for sure..

stephanie
11-01-2010, 12:02 AM
My favorite is Judy Garland. I think she is one of the hardest working women in show business. I used to love her films with Mickey Rooney [[Strike up the Band, Babes in Arms,et.....lets put on a show). I have never seen another musical performer [[female maybe Debbie Reynolds) who had that kind of exuberance on the screen with her voice and dancing ability. Ann Miller, Betty Garrett, and others hold up well but Judy was a natural and you could tell she worked her a** off. My hats go off to this woman even when she got to the stage after her movie career was over she gave her all for her fans.

nomis
11-01-2010, 01:09 AM
Thanks Steph Ive never seen a Garland film besides OZ..Im a big fan of her work in concerts and TV in the 60s but Ive never seen her in a musical..I always loved the quote..."Judy wanted to be Lana Turner she never thought for a moment that Lana wanted to be Judy.." I thought that was a very shrewd assesment..Ive been told garland was a gifted dancer as well which only makes me admire her more..I find the whole story of MGM fascinating it was almost its very own compact little city that could produce anything on film,20th century and Paramount also had that quality but there was something about MGM that was special..I love to read about the politics and the way the studio worked..I got "Dancing Lady" from Amazon and really enjoyed that although Crawford wasnt that good a dancer she had great screen chemistry with Gable and Tone..I would love to see Lon Chaneys work from what ive read he seems to be a fascinating man..

smark21
11-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Norris, for a taste of Judy Garland, go with Meet Me in St. Louis and Easter Parade--you'll see what an all aroudn talent she was. Ziegfeld Girl, with Garland, Lana Turner, and Hedy Lamarr is a fun soap opera type story with musical numbers. Along with Lana and Judy, other favorite MGM ladies include Harlow, Joan Crawford [[though she became even more intersting when she joined Warners in the mid 40's), Myrna Loy, and the pre-code Norma Shearer.

nomis
11-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks Smark I used to have a wonderful MGM documentary it had the clip of Lana falling down he stairs at the end of Ziegfeld Girl...I will check out Easter amd St. Louis..your right about Crawford in the 40s - "Possessed"[[the second one) and "Sudden Fear" are great...

arrr&bee
11-06-2010, 05:22 PM
No one mentioned[lassie]opps silly me lassie was actually a male collie which makes him the first[crossdresser]in hollywood...[imagine rin tin tin's surprise when he asked dear[lassie]on a date.....bow wow!!!