PDA

View Full Version : "The Composer" on TV

test

marybrewster
12-23-2013, 03:43 PM
Does anyone know why "The Composer" by DRATS was never performed on television? They certainly were on Sullivan during this time frame [[or could have been scheduled ).

Did DRATS ever perform this live in concert?

Just so odd; since Berry and Motown wanted DRATS to "hit" that they wouldn't have used television as a resource, especially since "The Composer" charted higher than "NMWSYA" on the Billboard 100.

bradsupremes
12-23-2013, 05:07 PM
I don't believe they ever performed "The Composer" or "No Matter What Sign You Are" in concert. I heard they did perform "I'm Livin' In Shame" in concert for a short time, but it was cut because Diana didn't like singing it.

sup_fan
12-23-2013, 06:11 PM
wonder if they did any european performances of these songs. i don't have Mary's Dreamgirl book with me and i know she lists out some of their concert and tour schedules. weren't they also in Europe a bunch during first part of 69? seems odd that they wouldn't perform it a little during its initial release. same with Forever and Somethings. obviously In and Out is on Talk of the Town. and on Sullivan. they had the time to prepare orchestral tracks for it and incorporate into repertoire. and it wasn't a huge hit. so many of the early releases were timed with public appearances to help drive sales. seems like that waned a bit in later 60s

i've also wondered same thing with Auto Sunshine. with the departure of Cindy and touring that spring, perhaps if the lineup hadn't changed and were in the US, Auto might have charted higher

bradsupremes
12-23-2013, 06:38 PM
I'm not sure as to why they didn't promote these songs on TV appearances, but as for live shows...I think when Motown realized how poorly the songs were charting and said "Screw it" in terms of getting the songs prepared for their live shows. Not worth the effort to orchestrate, rehearse, etc. for poorly charting singles.

Roger Polhill
12-23-2013, 06:52 PM
I don't believe they ever performed "The Composer" or "No Matter What Sign You Are" in concert. I heard they did perform "I'm Livin' In Shame" in concert for a short time, but it was cut because Diana didn't like singing it.
They did perform "i`m Living In Shame" on Hollywood Palace on 8th. March 1969 when they hosted the show.

captainjames
12-25-2013, 07:11 PM
I do not know if it was ever sung in concert but it was never performed on the Ed Sullivan show or any other show in the US.

captainjames
12-25-2013, 07:16 PM
In all honesty I think "The Composer" would have done better with The Marvelettes. Smokey had a way in bringing out the best in them.

Methuselah2
12-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Perfect suggestion, Captainjames. The Marvelettes were really what that tune needed and would have benefitted from. Vocally, the Ross version is lacking in several respects, and the recording itself doesn't sound up to par. I always thought it was a very surprising release--if that was the best take that could be captured, it needed to be re-thought. Ross' voice here is suspended in the air--no strength, no clarity, no depth. Too pop; all fizzle.

rrussi
12-25-2013, 08:35 PM
They performed I'm Livin' In Shame right after doing Love Child in Orlando on April 3, 1969. However, a week before I went to this date to see them, I heard their new release The Composer on the radio.

Zantellor
12-26-2013, 05:11 AM
STYNGUT was performed live at the Forest Hills Tennis Stadium concert in 1968

thisoldheart
12-26-2013, 05:26 AM
i think both "forever came today" & "somethings you never get used to" could have been significant hits with some backing from motown. "the composer" and "in and out of love" should have been album filler. motown was certainly scrambling and off their game with h/d/h's work slowdown and departure. letting h/d/h get away was the single worst business decision gordy every made. it ruined both motown and h/d/h.

rrussi
12-26-2013, 11:16 AM
I remember a lip sync performance of No Matter What Sign on Ed Sullivan. The Composer was also done by Smokey & the Miracles on one of their lps. By the way, the B side of No MatterWhat Sign, The Young Folks, charted and was played on the pop AM stations in Montgomery AL when I visited relatives there.

captainjames
12-29-2013, 01:21 AM
Smokey was not a good fit for Mary, Flo or Diana. He was better with Wanda and perhaps Jean.

supremester
01-05-2014, 06:20 PM
http://nojivecomix.com/kisn/files/page0-1011-full.jpg
i think both "forever came today" & "somethings you never get used to" could have been significant hits with some backing from motown. "the composer" and "in and out of love" should have been album filler. motown was certainly scrambling and off their game with h/d/h's work slowdown and departure. letting h/d/h get away was the single worst business decision gordy every made. it ruined both motown and h/d/h.

supremester
01-05-2014, 06:21 PM
AThisoldheart You were SO correct! Check out this 2-sided hit!

marv2
01-05-2014, 11:09 PM
Smokey was not a good fit for Mary, Flo or Diana. He was better with Wanda and perhaps Jean.

Nah, I disagree. He was very good as a writer/ producer for Mary Wilson since you are singling people out. I always thought they should have done a complete album together.

BayouMotownMan
01-06-2014, 09:47 PM
I know No Matter What Sign was in the stage show, but I don't think Composer, I'll Try Something New, The Weight or Young Folks ever got put in.

All of the 70s Supremes singles were in the act except Where Do I Go From Here. By the time the ladies got an arrangement for the song it was off the chart so they shelved it

supremester
01-07-2014, 02:21 PM
By the time they got to Portland in August, NMWSYA was not in. The newest song they did was I'm Gonna Make You Love Me. I would have loved to hear it live. Zantellor heard Some Things You Never Get Used To - lucky dog.

floyjoy678
01-07-2014, 03:08 PM
It kind of makes sense that they didn't do the "Diana Ross And" singles live being that Mary and Cindy are on none of the songs and they might not have known the background arrangements. As soon as I heard "Love Child" live I had a suspicion that it wasn't Mary and Cindy on the recording and I was right. I think some of the later singles were in the shows but very briefly like "I'm Livin' In Shame" and "Somethings" and I heard that "Forever Came Today" was also in the act but not for very long.

BayouMotownMan
01-07-2014, 03:52 PM
By August it was clear that NMWSYA was a flop. Another embarassment. Young Folks was being prepped