smark21
12-21-2013, 03:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tXAACdIJ_0

Merry Christmas!

Roberta75
12-21-2013, 03:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tXAACdIJ_0

Merry Christmas!

Is there anything this woman cant sing and what stage presence she hit notes than none of her Motown co-stars cant and shes such a beautifil spirit. God bless the First Lady of Motown records Dr Martha Reeves and God bless yiou smark 31 for sharing this Christmas gem about the birth of our Lord and savior of all who seek to be saved.

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace"

Roberta

Ollie9
12-22-2013, 06:47 AM
I'm sorry my love, but by any standards this is just dreadful.

BayouMotownMan
12-22-2013, 09:33 PM
It's the vibrato...

REDHOT
12-23-2013, 02:57 AM
Wow,back in the day,Martha was on top of the game,she's such a nice person,i LOVE her,no matter what.

copley
12-23-2013, 06:38 AM
I love Martha. Great personality & ambassador for Motown. I have everything that she ever recorded including many as yet still unreleased tracks and the 'Rainbow' album. However she must stop singing. It's been over for years :[[

Roberta75
12-23-2013, 10:14 AM
I love Martha. Great personality & ambassador for Motown. I have everything that she ever recorded including many as yet still unreleased tracks and the 'Rainbow' album. However she must stop singing. It's been over for years :[[

Theres nothing wrong with Dr Martha Reeves voice she sound wonderful imo and shes a legend and shes the first lady of Mototown and shes one of the best singers in the world ans\d a real nice lady. Its not over beacuse the public loves her and she loves her public. Keep on singing Miss Martha you are the BEST.

Roberta

midnightman
12-23-2013, 10:33 PM
I'm used to that vibrato lol but she'd sound better with her lower register. :)

jobeterob
12-23-2013, 11:07 PM
Not as bad as I thought it would be, but not nice to hear or see. She should let this go and let us remember My Baby Loves Me from 1965.

luke
12-25-2013, 11:24 PM
In some ways there is a depth and richness to her voice that could be great if she could sustain it. Cant she get vocal help to control it? I know of no other singer that has this problem. Why?

antceleb12
12-25-2013, 11:37 PM
In some ways there is a depth and richness to her voice that could be great if she could sustain it. Cant she get vocal help to control it? I know of no other singer that has this problem. Why?

The warble has to do with a combination of aging and years of singing with a particular technique. A voice teacher might be able to help guide her technique to help control the warble a little, but the wearing out of the vocal cords is largely irreversible. Surgery [[usually reserved for vocal nodules and cysts) may help if the cords are damaged, but due to the frailty of the vocal cords, it's not suggested [[vocal surgery ruined Julie Andrew's voice and helped damage Whitney Houston's). Every singer's voice ages differently - depending on their technique, the style of singing, their voice type, etc.

copley
12-26-2013, 05:43 PM
OK, for the tone deaf or those simply in denial this is how great Martha used to sound and how I want to remember her. What she does now has got no redeeming features whatsoever. I still love her but her singing days have been over for years. Nothing anyone can say or do will make me change my mind. If you think that this compares in anyway with the version posted further back then I think that you need help :[[

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSyVFjM6YzM

jobeterob
12-26-2013, 09:06 PM
OK, for the tone deaf or those simply in denial this is how great Martha used to sound and how I want to remember her. What she does now has got no redeeming features whatsoever. I still love her but her singing days have been over for years. Nothing anyone can say or do will make me change my mind. If you think that this compares in anyway with the version posted further back then I think that you need help :[[

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSyVFjM6YzM

Of course, you are right.

REDHOT
12-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Thanks for postin ' this Copley,Martha sounds great,when was this released?

midnightman
12-26-2013, 10:33 PM
The warble has to do with a combination of aging and years of singing with a particular technique. A voice teacher might be able to help guide her technique to help control the warble a little, but the wearing out of the vocal cords is largely irreversible. Surgery [[usually reserved for vocal nodules and cysts) may help if the cords are damaged, but due to the frailty of the vocal cords, it's not suggested [[vocal surgery ruined Julie Andrew's voice and helped damage Whitney Houston's). Every singer's voice ages differently - depending on their technique, the style of singing, their voice type, etc.

Didn't Whitney have vocal fold nodules? Same can be said about Martha [[I don't deny her voice is bad when she tries to belt it out).

Roberta75
12-26-2013, 10:35 PM
The First Lady of Motown Dr Martha Reeves sound great today and shell sound great tomorropw and she will sound great in 2014 because she is the best singer EVER to come out of Motown Records and shes loved all over the world. Miss Martha is 72 years old and sounds fantastic and she deserve our respect and love.

Roberta

antceleb12
12-26-2013, 10:47 PM
Didn't Whitney have vocal fold nodules? Same can be said about Martha [[I don't deny her voice is bad when she tries to belt it out).

Yes she did. The first time around was during the Bodyguard tour. She was advised by doctors to cancel the rest of her tour and go on rest, but she continued with the tour, which led to her having to have surgery. I believe she had multiple vocal surgeries, which helped to further damage her voice. I think the drugs played a big part in her vocal demise, but I think her voice would have been damaged regardless due to her technique. But of course, that's only a guess!

Buttered Popcorn and so forth
12-27-2013, 02:49 AM
I love, love, love Martha, but she does sound like she's "singing through a fan in the hazy hot days of summer" as someone said on an amazon.com review of her last album.

copley
12-27-2013, 05:27 AM
The First Lady of Motown Dr Martha Reeves sound great today and shell sound great tomorropw and she will sound great in 2014 because she is the best singer EVER to come out of Motown Records and shes loved all over the world. Miss Martha is 72 years old and sounds fantastic and she deserve our respect and love.

Roberta

Dear Roberta. Your support for Martha knows no bounds but with regard to her current 'singing' voice your loyalty is sadly misplaced and we will never agree about it.

Regards Copley

copley
12-27-2013, 05:30 AM
Thanks for postin ' this Copley,Martha sounds great,when was this released?

http://www.allmusic.com/album/christmas-soul-special-mw0000654606

Roberta75
12-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Dear Roberta. Your support for Martha knows no bounds but with regard to her current 'singing' voice your loyalty is sadly misplaced and we will never agree about it.

Regards Copley

Then we must agree to disagree dear Copey as I think the First Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves is the best entertainer in the world and she connect with her audiences like no other.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

jobeterob
12-27-2013, 12:19 PM
Then we must agree to disagree dear Copey as I think the First Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves is the best entertainer in the world and she connect with her audiences like no other.

Roberta

One thing we will all agree on is Martha Reeves is one of the Motown Survivors ~ like Duke, Otis, Diana, Mary W. ~ they are the few still working on a somewhat regular basis. And many did not get nearly as far as Martha Reeves ~ Michael, Marvin G., Marv J, Paul Williams, Flo.

And so in that respect, Martha is a real success.

copley
12-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Just while I'm in the mood. The history books can't be rewritten. Martha has never ever been the first lady of Motown [[sadly). That title has belonged to only two woman neither of whom were Martha. These days Martha gets by on personality, her vast Motown back catalogue, good will and an awful lot of brass neck.

jobeterob
12-27-2013, 01:55 PM
Copley, some day you need to give us the nuts and bolts version of Mary Wells, Mary Wilson and a few others.

copley
12-27-2013, 02:28 PM
Rob, I only sound off when I think that it's necessary and in this case it WAS necessary. A friend used to say 'use your ears' and I have never forgotten that. Many singers 'go off' with the passing of time and that's no disgrace but I don't want to hear skraking & caterwauling.

Roberta75
12-27-2013, 03:03 PM
Just while I'm in the mood. The history books can't be rewritten. Martha has never ever been the first lady of Motown [[sadly). That title has belonged to only two woman neither of whom were Martha. These days Martha gets by on personality, her vast Motown back catalogue, good will and an awful lot of brass neck.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

jobeterob
12-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Yes, but honestly, no one other than Marv has ever cast stones or been truly rude. For the others, it is just different feelings and opinions, expressed reasonably.

copley
12-27-2013, 03:43 PM
Thank you Rob:)

PS. Roberta, just what on earth has sin got to do with Martha? Anyway quoting the bible doesn't change a thing. Fact is fact :)

Ollie9
12-27-2013, 06:30 PM
The only two women who could use that title would be Mary Wells and a certain M's Ross. [[As if ya all did not know lol). I think that often our genuine, heart felt affection for a performer can sometimes cloud what we hear. I have to say i thought Diana singing to Obama last year clearly demonstrated the decline in her voice, yet a lot of fans thought she sounded fabulous. Sadly i have to add that compared to this performance by dear Martha she did.

stingbeelee
12-27-2013, 06:57 PM
All of the times I saw Martha and the Vandellas here in Detroit, Martha sings in her lower register, and you can really close your eyes and it's like you are back to 1965. I am not sure why she sings in a higher register when she is somewhere else. I am also not sure she has stopped smoking, which does not help the vocal cords.

supremester
12-27-2013, 07:12 PM
I think we can all agree that no one sings like Martha Reeves. I am glad she is alive, well and making her audiences happy. I always see her when I can.

Roberta75
12-27-2013, 11:17 PM
I think we can all agree that no one sings like Martha Reeves. I am glad she is alive, well and making her audiences happy. I always see her when I can.

Thank you supremesters for giving The First Lady of Motown records Dr Martha reeves her props. She thrills audiences all over the world and shes a legend and a true superstar and all these rude comments about her voice are real disrespectful imo. I think she look and sound great.

Thank you again.

Fondly,

Roberta

Roberta75
12-27-2013, 11:20 PM
Thank you Rob:)

PS. Roberta, just what on earth has sin got to do with Martha? Anyway quoting the bible doesn't change a thing. Fact is fact :)

in your opinion dearie. Theres millions of fans all over the world that loves and appreciate dr Martha reeves and I am one of them. She shares my belief in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and is the epitomme of a Christian.

Roberta

Roberta75
12-27-2013, 11:22 PM
All of the times I saw Martha and the Vandellas here in Detroit, Martha sings in her lower register, and you can really close your eyes and it's like you are back to 1965. I am not sure why she sings in a higher register when she is somewhere else. I am also not sure she has stopped smoking, which does not help the vocal cords.

When I close my eyes I think Miss Martha sound just as good or better than she did in 1965. Thank you for your kind words dear stingbellee.

Very truly yours.

Roberta

antceleb12
12-27-2013, 11:28 PM
Thank you supremesters for giving The First Lady of Motown records Dr Martha reeves her props. She thrills audiences all over the world and shes a legend and a true superstar and all these rude comments about her voice are real disrespectful imo. I think she look and sound great.

Thank you again.

Fondly,

Roberta

Roberta, with all due respect, none of these comments about her voice are rude or disrespectful. When judging the quality of her voice, we're using our ears and being honest with what we hear. You have to separate her as a singer from her as a person. If you truly believe she still has a great voice, good on you. However, there are other people, myself included, who believe otherwise, and it is no reflection of our opinion of her as a person.

Roberta75
12-28-2013, 12:04 AM
Roberta, with all due respect, none of these comments about her voice are rude or disrespectful. When judging the quality of her voice, we're using our ears and being honest with what we hear. You have to separate her as a singer from her as a person. If you truly believe she still has a great voice, good on you. However, there are other people, myself included, who believe otherwise, and it is no reflection of our opinion of her as a person.

Well thank the good Lord above that Im hearing something real different than you are.

I think Dr Martha Reeves sound exqisite on O Holy Night.

Roberta

jobeterob
12-28-2013, 02:14 AM
But O Holy Night was recorded in 1987 right?

copley
12-28-2013, 05:24 AM
Not sure of the actual recording date but it would have been mid - late '80's when Martha was still in fine voice. It was a surprise find a few years ago. The live abomination was just a week or so ago!

milven
12-28-2013, 10:52 AM
I remember watching Diana on American Idol and feeling embarrassed for her. She was bad. And in 2002, I saw her in Long Island and she was off. Thankfully, since then, I have seen her live many times and she is back in form.

I also remember seeing Martha perform at a PBS White House performance a few years ago at a Motown tribute. I felt embarrassed for her there too but hoped that it was just an off night.
I just watched the Oh Holy Night video in the first post of this thread. It was performed 12/15/2013. She also sang Come and Get These Memories at that show. That was the song that made me a Motown fan for life. But I just watched her performance of Memories at this show, and it was unwatchable.

As she herself sings in the song,

Here is our old favorite record, I can’t stand to hear it anymore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FdV9VOqK-U

Roberta75
12-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Not sure of the actual recording date but it would have been mid - late '80's when Martha was still in fine voice. It was a surprise find a few years ago. The live abomination was just a week or so ago!

It was NOT a abomination copley. Thats a real cruel and tasteless thing you wrote. DR Martha Reeves is a Motown legand and deserves our respect. An abomination is the Trayvon Martin verdict where Zimmerman walked free after murdering a young teenager who was just walking home now thats a real abomination imo.

Roberta

Roberta75
12-28-2013, 11:25 AM
I remember watching Diana on American Idol and feeling embarrassed for her. She was bad. And in 2002, I saw her in Long Island and she was off. Thankfully, since then, I have seen her live many times and she is back in form.

I also remember seeing Martha perform at a PBS White House performance a few years ago at a Motown tribute. I felt embarrassed for her there too but hoped that it was just an off night.
I just watched the Oh Holy Night video in the first post of this thread. It was performed 12/15/2013. She also sang Come and Get These Memories at that show. That was the song that made me a Motown fan for life. But I just watched her performance of Memories at this show, and it was unwatchable.

As she herself sings in the song,

Here is our old favorite record, I can’t stand to hear it anymore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FdV9VOqK-U

Well the audience love her and they was lapping The first Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves up and i love her so much and Im real happy shes still in great demand all over the world.

Read this wonderful reviews of Dr Martha Reeves in the UK earllier this month.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/what-s-on/arts-entertainment/music-and-gigs/gig-review-martha-reeves-at-brudenell-social-club-leeds-1-6324616

http://www.bristol247.com/2013/12/24/review-martha-reeves-at-the-fleece-bristol-70309/

And this review praise O Holy Night. http://www.scotsman.com/what-s-on/music/gig-review-martha-reeves-the-vandellas-glasgow-1-3237399

Roberta

Roberta75
12-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Read this rave review from December 19. yes the first Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves can still put on the best show ever.

http://www.garstangcourier.co.uk/what-s-on/music/martha-reeves-1-6326394

milven
12-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Read this rave review from December 19. yes the first Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves can still put on the best show ever.

http://www.garstangcourier.co.uk/what-s-on/music/martha-reeves-1-6326394

That is a professional review, and I am only a fan. So if I were you, I would go with the professional review. I am a fan of all the Motown acts, but am a fanatic for none.

I'm glad to see the classic Motown acts still performing and hope that they are doing it for the love of it and not for the money of it. At this point in their lives, they should be relaxing and enjoying their senior years, unless performing is their life.

It is commendable that these acts can still attract an audience after more t han fifty years.
I don't think people like Miley Cyrus and Justin Beiber will not even be remembered in fifty years.

You have a strong opinion and deep love for Martha and I do not want to mess with that. But I do have one question. I've never heard anyone refer to Martha as the First Lady of Motown - except you. Is that a title that you bestowed on her, or can it be found somewhere on the internet?

I searched and came up with Claudette and Mary Wells.

I don't know if you were around in the early sixties, but back then Mary Wells was always referred to as the FIrst Lady of Motown. Then she left, and then came the Supremes. Claudette was never referred to as First Lady of Motown. It is only recently that I read that Berry Gordy affectionately dubbed her as "The First Lady of Motown," for being the first female artist signed to Motown's first vocal group, The Miracles, who also had the distinction of having the label's first #1 hit. But no one else at the time, called her that. The general public and the dee-jays always introduced Mary Wells as the First Lady of Motown.

Looking at the entire Motown era, I guess Diana, more than any other artist, is the face of Motown, but no one calls her the First Lady of Motown

Anyhow, I am rambling so let me end this post

Roberta75
12-28-2013, 02:51 PM
That is a professional review, and I am only a fan. So if I were you, I would go with the professional review. I am a fan of all the Motown acts, but am a fanatic for none.

I'm glad to see the classic Motown acts still performing and hope that they are doing it for the love of it and not for the money of it. At this point in their lives, they should be relaxing and enjoying their senior years, unless performing is their life.

It is commendable that these acts can still attract an audience after more t han fifty years.
I don't think people like Miley Cyrus and Justin Beiber will not even be remembered in fifty years.

You have a strong opinion and deep love for Martha and I do not want to mess with that. But I do have one question. I've never heard anyone refer to Martha as the First Lady of Motown - except you. Is that a title that you bestowed on her, or can it be found somewhere on the internet?

I searched and came up with Claudette and Mary Wells.

I don't know if you were around in the early sixties, but back then Mary Wells was always referred to as the FIrst Lady of Motown. Then she left, and then came the Supremes. Claudette was never referred to as First Lady of Motown. It is only recently that I read that Berry Gordy affectionately dubbed her as "The First Lady of Motown," for being the first female artist signed to Motown's first vocal group, The Miracles, who also had the distinction of having the label's first #1 hit. But no one else at the time, called her that. The general public and the dee-jays always introduced Mary Wells as the First Lady of Motown.

Looking at the entire Motown era, I guess Diana, more than any other artist, is the face of Motown, but no one calls her the First Lady of Motown

Anyhow, I am rambling so let me end this post

thank you you for your reply millven. Dr Martha Reeves is was and always will be the First Lady of Motown records to me and that is was and always will be my personal opinion. Its like eddy Murphy calling Mary Wilson the Godmother of Motown or the people who call Diane Ross the queen of Motown. Its opinions and personal belief.

While I enjoy mary wells music shes not the First Lady of Motown and DJs can say it all day long but that dont make it true it makes it they opinion.

Roberta

copley
12-28-2013, 04:51 PM
It was NOT a abomination copley. Thats a real cruel and tasteless thing you wrote. DR Martha Reeves is a Motown legand and deserves our respect. An abomination is the Trayvon Martin verdict where Zimmerman walked free after murdering a young teenager who was just walking home now thats a real abomination imo.

Roberta
Roberta, get over yourself! Now I am sick and tired of reading your drivel about how great Martha is. She WAS great but it's been over for years. Also she has never been the first lady of Motown. OK in your eyes she is, fine but not in the annals of musical history. You can't re-write history. So 'dearie' there are none so deaf as those who will not hear and none so blind as those who will not see! And so I am NOT bashing Martha who I have loved since day one. I'm just stating a fact as 99.9% will agree with. If you honestly think that the two versions of 'Oh Holy Night' are as good as each other then you are sadly living in a world of make believe and I'm truly happy for you! Now I know that you will respond as you just can't help yourself but I will no longer respond to your rubbish. Do what you like because I won't be reading it!

Roberta75
12-28-2013, 04:56 PM
Roberta, get over yourself! Now I am sick and tired of reading your drivel about how great Martha is. She WAS great but it's been over for years. Also she has never been the first lady of Motown. OK in your eyes she is, fine but not in the annals of musical history. You can't re-write history. So 'dearie' there are none so deaf as those who will not hear and none so blind as those who will not see! And so I am NOT bashing Martha who I have loved since day one. I'm just stating a fact as 99.9% will agree with. If you honestly think that the two versions of 'Oh Holy Night' are as good as each other then you are sadly living in a world of make believe and I'm truly happy for you! Now I know that you will respond as you just can't help yourself but I will no longer respond to your rubbish. Do what you like because I won't be reading it!

What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions. You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, “He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us”?

Now you can Kindly put me on ignore dear.

Best to you.

Roberta