PDA

View Full Version : The 25 greatest white funk hits!

test

timmyfunk
12-20-2013, 12:14 PM
At the request of a fellow Facebook poster, I compiled this list mainly to see what kind of feedback I would get. Most of the reactions were quite priceless. You'll notice right off the bat that there are no AWB hits listed. Since there on the main Funk lists, I felt no need to include them here.

THE 25 GREATEST WHITE FUNK HITS!

Hot Stuff-The Rolling Stone...s
The Stroke-Billy Squier
Fame-David Bowie
Life Is A Carnival-The Band
Right Place, Wrong Time-Dr. John
Georgy Porgy-Toto
Peg-Steely Dan
Play That Funky Music-Wild Cherry
Buffalo Gals-Malcolm McClaren
Rapture-Blondie
What Goes Around-Dr. John
The Crunge-Led Zeppelin
Hots On for Nowhere-Led Zeppelin
Scorpio-Dennis Coffey
American Ghost Dance-Red Hot Chili Peppers
Genius Of Love-Tom Tom Club
Another One Bites The Dust-Queen
White Horse-Laid Back
Trans Europe Express-Kraftwerk
Keep It Comin' Love-KC and the Sunshine Band
I Get Lifted-KC and the Sunshine Band
I Can't Go For That-Hall and Oates
I'm Your Boogie Man-KC and the Sunshine Band
Shake Shake Shake-KC and the Sunshine Band
That's The Way I Like It-KC and the Sunshine Band

tamla617
12-20-2013, 04:09 PM
I think you're trying to wreck my brain! You've already taken a heap off me, again!

Climax Blues Band Couldn't get it right
Stretch Why did you do it
Kokomo Rise and shine
ditto Use your imagination
ditto Angel love
Brecker Brothers Funky sea, funky dew
Ditto Squid
Ditto Some skunk funk
Ditto Sponge
Ditto Inside out
Ditto East River
Ditto Squids
Mezzoforte Surprise
Herb Albert Rise
Level 42 Sons and daughters
Ditto World Machine
Ditto Physical Presence
Ditto Something About You
Ditto Leaving Me Now
Ditto I Sleep On My Heart
Ditto It's Not The Same For Us
Ditto Good Man In A Storm
Ditto Coup D'etat
Ditto Lying Still
KC and the Sunshine band Sound your funky horn
Wild Cherry What in the funk do you see
Chant # 1 Spandau Ballet
The Masonettes Heart break Avenue
David Sanborn Let's Just Say Goodbye
Ditto It's You
Ditto Wake Me When It's Over
Ditto One In A Million
Spyro Gyra Pigmy Funk
Pete Brown Do you wanna get Funky with me?

roger
12-20-2013, 04:54 PM
How about this one ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT6acsV353M
:)
Roger

Jerry Oz
12-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Am I the only one who immediately considered Hall and Oates "Your Imagination"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcemkR9BYts

soulster
12-20-2013, 10:10 PM
I would not, by any stretch of the imagination, call these songs funk, or "white" funk:

The Stroke-Billy Squier
Georgy Porgy-Toto

Jerry Oz
12-20-2013, 10:37 PM
And Buffalo Girls is a classic hip hop track, but I don't see the funk in it... If you want a Malcolm McLaren funk track, try She's Looking Like A Hobo. And the collaboration between the Red Hot Chili Peppers and George Clinton [[Freakey Styley) gets no love? Jungle Man alone is probably the funkiest cut by a white band that I can think of. BTW: What a topic...

tamla617
12-21-2013, 10:12 AM
I must add Pete Brown's Do you Wanna get Funky with me?

timmyfunk
12-21-2013, 12:16 PM
I would not, by any stretch of the imagination, call these songs funk, or "white" funk:

The Stroke-Billy Squier
Georgy Porgy-Toto

Hell, all of KC's hits rode the fine line between disco and Funk, so I'm not going to argue that point. The Stroke is basically P-Funk meets Zeppelin. 98.7Kiss FM here in NYC [[an R&B station) rocked the Stroke while it was hot. The long version of Georgy Porgy comes very close to laid back Funk.

timmyfunk
12-21-2013, 12:18 PM
And Buffalo Girls is a classic hip hop track, but I don't see the funk in it... If you want a Malcolm McLaren funk track, try She's Looking Like A Hobo. And the collaboration between the Red Hot Chili Peppers and George Clinton [[Freakey Styley) gets no love? Jungle Man alone is probably the funkiest cut by a white band that I can think of. BTW: What a topic...

That whole Freaky Styley album is a white Funk revelation. Have you ever heard the 12" version of "Hollywood"? Can you say controlled insanity? I did include "American Ghost Dance" though.

timmyfunk
12-21-2013, 12:21 PM
I must add Pete Brown's Do you Wanna get Funky with me?

That is my bad. I forgot that one.

Jerry Oz
12-21-2013, 01:30 PM
That whole Freaky Styley album is a white Funk revelation. Have you ever heard the 12" version of "Hollywood"? Can you say controlled insanity? I did include "American Ghost Dance" though.This is true. I actually went to YouTube after this thread yesterday and listened to the whole Freaky Styley album. I'm going to find that 12" to give it a listen.

soulster
12-21-2013, 08:20 PM
I dig both lists! I'll have to think about what I could add. There was so much funk, i'm sure I could come up with a lot of stuff you two missed. But, you both got the basics.

tamla617
12-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Anyone remember Mark Radice? He was backed by Brass Construction before they hit it big time. The Lp was released after the 1st Brass Construction hit LP. Titled"Aint nothing but a party"with the caviat[[ to catch the fans of BC) "with the power house sound of Brass Construction" [[or something very similar) Here I go falling in love again had parts of Mark Radice's vocals edited out [[you can hear Mark very faintly) to give more of BC's "noise"!

They caught me but to be fair its not a bad LP! The track I mentioned is pretty good.
When I say very faintly it was with head cans on very loud or speakers on earthquake!

smark21
12-23-2013, 09:13 PM
Would Notorious by Duran Duran be considered a white funk song? Or because Nile Rodgers played guitar on it, it would be disqualified or considered a potential integrated funk song? That is, if Notorious fits one's criteria as a funk song.

timmyfunk
12-24-2013, 12:56 AM
Would Notorious by Duran Duran be considered a white funk song? Or because Nile Rodgers played guitar on it, it would be disqualified or considered a potential integrated funk song? That is, if Notorious fits one's criteria as a funk song.
Hmmmm......why not?