PDA

View Full Version : Lekae Withdraws from Motown the Musical After Cancer Diagnosis

test

jobeterob
12-20-2013, 03:27 AM
By Brian McCollum

Detroit Free Press Pop Music Writer

Valisia LeKae, whose portrayal of Diana Ross earned her a Tony nomination in the spring, has withdrawn from “Motown: The Musical” because of ovarian cancer.

LeKae told www.broadway.com that she will have surgery Thursday and undergo subsequent chemotherapy treatments. She learned of the cancer diagnosis Dec. 2, two weeks after a cyst was removed.

Show officials confirmed that LeKae has withdrawn from the production and been replaced by actress Felicia Boswell [[“Memphis”).

LeKae won strong reviews for her work in “Motown,” which chronicles the rise of the Detroit record company and keys in on the relationship between Ross and Berry Gordy Jr. The musical has been one of Broadway’s top hits since it opened in the spring, with regular weekly grosses of more than $1 million.

LeKae told Broadway.com that she met with the “Motown” cast to break the news.

“They really are my family,” she said. “I wanted to be able to share it with them and to say: ‘I’m doing OK. I’m not falling apart. I’m here to fight.’ Their love and encouragement is one of the things getting me through this. I cannot tell you how amazing they are. Everyone has really stepped up for me.”

The actress hopes she can help others by going public with her cancer battle.

“As a 34-year-old African-American woman, I feel that it is important that I share my story in order to educate and encourage others about this disease and the fight against it,” she said.

marymary
12-21-2013, 12:27 AM
How terrible

At least she is young; here's to a thorough and swift recovery.